Start by marking “Christmas for a Kitten” as Want to Read:
Christmas for a Kitten

Christmas for a Kitten

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Trying to survive in the cold woods, an abandoned kitten stows away on a family's Christmas tree and slips into their house--a house occupied by a fierce dog. But it is Christmas Eve, a night when magical things can happen. Full color.
Published September 1st 2003 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about Christmas for a Kitten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas for a Kitten

Margaret
We have gotten to a point of being pet free in our house and it will stay that way, but not for lack of kitty love. This makes special picture books of these fuzzes all the more precious. So when I saw some spread images of the Christmas Kitten I knew we needed to see these stories.

The paintings that make up the illustrations are beautiful. This starts out as a scary story told from a kitten's point of view, but in the end all is well thanks to Santa Claus and his love for cookies.

I received t
Bird
Dec 21, 2009 Bird rated it it was ok
I have no tolerance for animal cruelty in any form, so I was appalled at the beginning of the story when a man gathers up stray kittens into a sack and throws them into a ditch! Yes, there is a happy ending. However, the overall mood of the story is one of fear and loneliness. For a book aimed at lower elementary students, I found this inappropriate.

If you're looking for books about abandoned/homeless animals, I recommend Dogku or Before You Were Mine. I use both in my classroom and think they
Marg Corjay
Nov 26, 2015 Marg Corjay rated it it was amazing
How a little abandoned, unwanted cat finds a forever home after many adventures. A sit-around and share in the spirit of the season kind of book. Soft vibrant illustrations make this a fun book to enjoy with the whole family.
Marissa
Dec 02, 2014 Marissa rated it it was ok
Unexpected start to this story. The beginning was kind of cruel. Beautiful illustrations however I was irritated by the use of punctuation and thought the storyline could have been developed a little better.
Miri
Dec 14, 2014 Miri rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
The story of a tiny kitten who is taken from his mother and tossed away like trash. The Kitten finds his way into the home of a family at Christmastime and is soon discover by Santa Claus himself!
Sharon
Jul 05, 2012 Sharon rated it liked it
I pulled this out of the pile as a Christmas present for Tommy (Santa always brings books to school). BUt I didn't read it before I gave it to him. It was a bit advanced for a two-year-old, and rather disturbing as it begins with a man trying to drown the kitten. The illustrations are beautiful, though, so we read it heavily redacted.
Mandy
Mar 23, 2013 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A kitten is taken from its mother and home and left abandoned. It sneaks a ride to a family's home and catches glimpses of them decorating their Christmas tree on Christmas Eve. Will the kitten get a home for Christmas?

This magical tale is made complete by the breath-taking illustrations by the talented Layne Johnson.
Anna
Dec 08, 2015 Anna rated it it was ok
Shelves: seasonal, christmas
Absolutely gorgeous pictures. The story is very dark and contains cruelty. I was glad that C was too young to understand it and could just look at the pictures. I would NOT read it to an older child who could understand the words.
Jim
Dec 08, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it
the first couple of pages are pretty rough - they set up the story of how a kitten ends up next to a Christmas tree. were i reading the book aloud i'd probably say the kitten was lost, but then the where's the mama question would be asked.
Tommy
May 03, 2011 Tommy rated it liked it
I pulled this out of the pile as a Christmas present for Tommy (Santa always brings books to school). BUt I didn't read it before I gave it to him. It was a bit advanced for a two-year-old.
Danny
May 01, 2011 Danny rated it liked it
Judy Adams
Oct 30, 2012 Judy Adams rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
cute story, I see poor cats everyday in our small village beaten up, left to survive on their own. I wish people would spay and neuter there pets, I'm glad to see Santa rescued this one.
Marni
Dec 21, 2009 Marni rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, christmas
Cute story, but Carolyn *did not* like the beginning. The poor girl can't handle any kind of heartlessness.
G.C. Nash
Oct 16, 2013 G.C. Nash rated it really liked it
Awwwwwwww, I'm a sucker for Santa stories, and this one has a needy kitten!
Lynn
Jan 27, 2011 Lynn rated it liked it
The story was ok, but the illustrations are beautiful!
Susan
Susan added it
Feb 13, 2016
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Andrea Haas
Andrea Haas marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
james a knepp
james a knepp marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Kaylyn
Kaylyn rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Timalee Guetterman
Timalee Guetterman rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Robin
Robin added it
Dec 04, 2015
Jennifer Priester
Jennifer Priester rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Erica
Erica added it
Nov 14, 2015
Aiyah
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015