Christmas for a Kitten

Christmas for a Kitten

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Trying to survive in the cold woods, an abandoned kitten stows away on a family's Christmas tree and slips into their house--a house occupied by a fierce dog. But it is Christmas Eve, a night when magical things can happen. Full color.
Published September 1st 2003 by Albert Whitman & Company

Margaret
We have gotten to a point of being pet free in our house and it will stay that way, but not for lack of kitty love. This makes special picture books of these fuzzes all the more precious. So when I saw some spread images of the Christmas Kitten I knew we needed to see these stories.

The paintings that make up the illustrations are beautiful. This starts out as a scary story told from a kitten's point of view, but in the end all is well thanks to Santa Claus and his love for cookies.

I received t...more
Bird
I have no tolerance for animal cruelty in any form, so I was appalled at the beginning of the story when a man gathers up stray kittens into a sack and throws them into a ditch! Yes, there is a happy ending. However, the overall mood of the story is one of fear and loneliness. For a book aimed at lower elementary students, I found this inappropriate.

If you're looking for books about abandoned/homeless animals, I recommend Dogku or Before You Were Mine. I use both in my classroom and think they...more
Sharon
I pulled this out of the pile as a Christmas present for Tommy (Santa always brings books to school). BUt I didn't read it before I gave it to him. It was a bit advanced for a two-year-old, and rather disturbing as it begins with a man trying to drown the kitten. The illustrations are beautiful, though, so we read it heavily redacted.
Mandy
A kitten is taken from its mother and home and left abandoned. It sneaks a ride to a family's home and catches glimpses of them decorating their Christmas tree on Christmas Eve. Will the kitten get a home for Christmas?

This magical tale is made complete by the breath-taking illustrations by the talented Layne Johnson.
Anna
Absolutely gorgeous pictures. The story is very dark and contains cruelty. I was glad that C was too young to understand it and could just look at the pictures. I would NOT read it to an older child who could understand the words.
Jim
the first couple of pages are pretty rough - they set up the story of how a kitten ends up next to a Christmas tree. were i reading the book aloud i'd probably say the kitten was lost, but then the where's the mama question would be asked.
Tommy
I pulled this out of the pile as a Christmas present for Tommy (Santa always brings books to school). BUt I didn't read it before I gave it to him. It was a bit advanced for a two-year-old.
Danny
Judy Adams
cute story, I see poor cats everyday in our small village beaten up, left to survive on their own. I wish people would spay and neuter there pets, I'm glad to see Santa rescued this one.
Marni
Cute story, but Carolyn *did not* like the beginning. The poor girl can't handle any kind of heartlessness.
Gabrielle Carolina
Awwwwwwww, I'm a sucker for Santa stories, and this one has a needy kitten!
Lynn
The story was ok, but the illustrations are beautiful!
Angela Freeman
Angela Freeman marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Outsideworld
Outsideworld marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Feb 20, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Sherry
Sherry added it
Aug 06, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
Carrie Charley Brown
Carrie Charley Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Punctuation Takes a Vacation Thank You, Miss Doover Happy Endings: A Story about Suffixes Silent Letters Loud and Clear Saturday Is Dadurday