Start by marking “Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day” as Want to Read:
Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day

Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day (Mr. Wright's Class )

It's Field Day in Mr. Wright's class and not just for the students. Nouns and verbs are inventing their own games in this companion to "Punctuation Takes A Vacation."
Published May 1st 2007 by Holiday House (first published January 23rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day

Ginna
This is a great book to show your students how words work together!
Set up your classroom with some signs where the verbs and nouns have moved around.
After reading the book ask your students if they could identify any of the signs you made (Be creative when asking EX: you think that could happen with our signs?)

-Ask your students in what ways could words work together and write down their answers, ask for examples
-Great opportunity to talk about compound word!

Opportunities for different activitie
Amanda
Oct 21, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for teaching nouns and verbs.
Doris Lucas
This book is about Mr. Wright’s class who goes on a field trip. The students are noun and verbs. They realize that they have to work together in order to complete anything.The high energy in this colorful book of words brings home the importance of nouns and verbs in speech.And the narrative is a scattered dialogue, with words all over the page that can be a bit difficult to read aloud. This book is very entertaining and informative. I will use this book to teach about nouns and verbs to third-g ...more
Steve Holden
A grammar read aloud might not be the most entertaining or enjoyable - teacher or students - but this one certainly serves a specific purpose. We're in the final stretch at school. As I turn my class over for the summer and hope they return ready for the next grade, I'm finding time to get review of essential concepts in different ways. It makes for a perfect time to hit the class with a noun and verb review read aloud. It's as fun as this topic can be highlighted in a book, and one I keep to sh ...more
Dolly
Dec 27, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: elementary school-age children
This is the third book about grammar in the Mr. Wright's Class series that we've read by this author/illustrator team. The stories are interesting and informative, but the illustrations put me off. They aren't as slick or professional-looking as the books by Brian P. Cleary and Brian Gable and Jenya Prosmitsky. And the narrative is a scattered dialogue, with words all over the page that can be a bit difficult to read aloud.

Overall, the books are entertaining and informative, but probably best f
Kelli McKenna
May 07, 2015 Kelli McKenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: information
I enjoyed going through Robin Pulver's Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day because I thought the artwork was creative and the story line was humorous. I thought it was clever that not only the students participated in field day, but Robin Pulver had nouns and verbs create their own field day activities, such as tug-of-words, and putting on three-legged races. As a teacher, i would personally suggest this book as a read a loud for children in first or second grade, as an introduction to a language a ...more
Amber
Apr 26, 2010 Amber rated it it was amazing
When I picked up this book, I was looking at the title and I was like "Hmmmm? Nouns and verbs have a field day. I wonder that this is about." Then as I was reading it, it talks about how a teacher helps his children talk about nouns and verbs everyday and one day, it is field day and the nouns and verbs in the classroom, do not know what to do. So they start looking out the window and figuring out what to do with themselves. The book ends up being very cute. You could do a lesson on the differen ...more
L- Lisa
Mar 04, 2010 L- Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informational
Field Day happens at school and the nouns and verbs realize they need to work together to accomplish anything. The high energy in this colorful book of words brings home the importance of nouns and verbs in speech. The illustrations are whimsical, actively moving throughout the book. This would be a good read aloud during introduction to nouns, verbs and how we use words as we string sentences together. Because it is a busy book, I believe reading aloud would be important for discussion. While t ...more
Jennie Park
This is a very useful book that I would love to share with my students before introducing a grammar or language arts lesson. The book explains nouns and verbs very well- the importance of it, when to use it, and what defines it. By knowing the real importance and definition of nouns and verbs, students will identify them correctly leading them to better comprehension in grammar and literature- which will then lead to success in the academic subjects! The book also conveys other important themes ...more
Jessica
This book introduces nouns and verbs to children, and how they need to "work together" in order to create a sentence that makes sense. Before this book is read, a definition of what a noun is, and what a verb is can be established for the class to refer to while reading. While the read aloud is taking place, children can identify both nouns and verbs in the book and they can be written on chart paper. As these words are being written on the chart paper, children can be repeating them for reinfor ...more
Kathleen Tucker
I would use this book to model proper sentence structure as it emphasizes the need for a noun and a verb in each sentence. As a read-aloud I would read the book and explain how I figure out the noun and verb in each sentence throughout the beginning of the book. Then, I would ask the class to see if we can figure out the noun and verb together throughout the end. As an added bonus, this book also is a great tool for emphasizing team work, something children often struggle with.
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 4 stars
Art: 2 stars

Picture book with a story that explains nouns and verbs, and why they need one another. Fun word games for readers on the last page of the book.

The publisher selected an unfortunate author/illustrator pairing for this series of picture books. The collage-style illustrations are too busy and detract from the book's purpose. The asides in the speech bubbles are fun but add to the chaotic feel of the book.
Sarah Kasper
Feb 01, 2011 Sarah Kasper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language-arts
"Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day" is a cute story that will help students learn the importance of nouns and verbs and the jobs they perform in the English language. This story will get kids excited about the possibilities of mixing up nouns and verbs to make silly sentences like the teacher in the book does.
Sarah Ashburn
Jun 23, 2015 Sarah Ashburn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language-play
Great way of teaching students what nouns and verbs are and how they work in reading. This would obviously not be good for beginning readers but for students in older elementary. This book is a great teaching tool for a lesson on nouns and verbs. Mad-libs would be a fun phonics activity to go along side this.
Brandi
Sep 30, 2013 Brandi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grammar, 50-books
This abstract book turns words into characters. The words play together to teach students that nouns and verbs need each other in a sentence. This book would be very useful to introduce a grammar lesson. After learning about nouns and verbs students could go on their very own scavenger hunt and find verbs and nouns all around the school.
Clairissa D
Sep 30, 2013 Clairissa D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-books
This children's book is about a class participating in field day at their school. The students in the classroom aren't the only ones celebrating field day the objects in the classroom also decide to have a field day of their own. This book can help with teaching students' recognize nouns and verbs and understanding the difference between the two.
Asha Smith
This book is great to teach how verbs and nouns are needed in our language. And what would we do without verbs and nouns. The students go on a field day but they leave the nouns and verbs behind. So the verbs and nouns decide to rearrange the room and show the students how important nouns and verbs are.
Seher Patka
The nouns and verbs would also like to participate in Field Day at school along with the students. This book humanizes nouns and verbs as they create and play games. This is a fun, engaging book with colorful illustrations.
kristen
Mar 31, 2012 kristen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens

I like this book but because it is so "busy" with dialogue I know I'll need to emphasize much of the conversation so that the points won't be lost on my students. Fun approach to nouns and verbs needing each other.
Allison
This book is a great way to emphasize how much nouns and verbs need each other. My students would definitely enjoy the story and full pictures. The story depicts a class of children enjoying field day, and the nouns and verbs from their classroom wanting in on the action.
Vicki
Jul 24, 2009 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about nouns and verbs. I enjoyed reading this with my son. It is a fun and interactive way to teach children about parts of speech. Nouns and verbs can't work by themselves that is why they need each other. Great illustrations!
Greta
I hated the illustrations. It was just too busy.
Rita
Oct 31, 2011 Rita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grammar
This is a great way to teach students about nouns and verbs. It shows that each noun and verb has a job in each sentence.:-)
Kelly
Clever book with full bleed illustrations. Brightly colored and accessible. Works with the themes in its title. Nouns and verbs work better together...teamwork. Endnotes have some fun activities.
Tiffanni Dean
I would read this book to my students to help introduce the difference between nouns and verbs.
Mrs Bond
Mar 10, 2009 Mrs Bond rated it liked it
Shelves: school, words
There is so much happening on the page, in such a scattered way, I found it distracting. The kids don't seem to notice or mind.
Jessicaleighb
Great for teaching nouns, verbs, and how they relate
Lindsey
I think this is definitely too elementary for ESL high school kids.
Donna K
Dec 05, 2010 Donna K rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was difficult to decide where to look. There was so much going on.
Maria Caplin
Aug 03, 2007 Maria Caplin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Karen
Excellent book for word study! Very funny and well written to teach about the relationship between nouns and verbs and how important they are to sentences!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Lime, a Mime, a Pool of Slime: More about Nouns
  • A Cache of Jewels and Other Collectible Nouns (World of Language)
  • Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story
  • Dear Deer: A Book of Homophones
  • How to Lose All Your Friends
  • I Am Rosa Parks
  • The Boy Who Loved Words
  • The Egg
  • Max's Words
  • Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln (Big Words)
  • Q Is for Duck: An Alphabet Guessing Game

Mr. Wright's Class (5 books)
  • Punctuation Takes a Vacation