Start by marking “Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day” as Want to Read:
Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day

Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day (Mr. Wright's Class )

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  24 reviews
It's Field Day in Mr. Wright's class and not just for the students. Nouns and verbs are inventing their own games, such as tug-of-words, and putting on three-legged races. But before the real fun can begin, someone is going to have to teach nouns and verbs about the kinds of teamwork needed to make a sentence. A companion to Punctuation Takes a Vacation.
Published May 1st 2007 by Holiday House (first published January 23rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day

Ginna
This is a great book to show your students how words work together!
Set up your classroom with some signs where the verbs and nouns have moved around.
After reading the book ask your students if they could identify any of the signs you made (Be creative when asking EX: you think that could happen with our signs?)

-Ask your students in what ways could words work together and write down their answers, ask for examples
-Great opportunity to talk about compound word!

Opportunities for different activitie...more
Dolly
Aug 09, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: elementary school-age children
This is the third book about grammar in the Mr. Wright's Class series that we've read by this author/illustrator team. The stories are interesting and informative, but the illustrations put me off. They aren't as slick or professional-looking as the books by Brian P. Cleary and Brian Gable and Jenya Prosmitsky. And the narrative is a scattered dialogue, with words all over the page that can be a bit difficult to read aloud.

Overall, the books are entertaining and informative, but probably best f...more
Amber
When I picked up this book, I was looking at the title and I was like "Hmmmm? Nouns and verbs have a field day. I wonder that this is about." Then as I was reading it, it talks about how a teacher helps his children talk about nouns and verbs everyday and one day, it is field day and the nouns and verbs in the classroom, do not know what to do. So they start looking out the window and figuring out what to do with themselves. The book ends up being very cute. You could do a lesson on the differen...more
L- Lisa
Field Day happens at school and the nouns and verbs realize they need to work together to accomplish anything. The high energy in this colorful book of words brings home the importance of nouns and verbs in speech. The illustrations are whimsical, actively moving throughout the book. This would be a good read aloud during introduction to nouns, verbs and how we use words as we string sentences together. Because it is a busy book, I believe reading aloud would be important for discussion. While t...more
Jennie Park
This is a very useful book that I would love to share with my students before introducing a grammar or language arts lesson. The book explains nouns and verbs very well- the importance of it, when to use it, and what defines it. By knowing the real importance and definition of nouns and verbs, students will identify them correctly leading them to better comprehension in grammar and literature- which will then lead to success in the academic subjects! The book also conveys other important themes...more
Clairissa D
This children's book is about a class participating in field day at their school. The students in the classroom aren't the only ones celebrating field day the objects in the classroom also decide to have a field day of their own. This book can help with teaching students' recognize nouns and verbs and understanding the difference between the two.
Brandi
This abstract book turns words into characters. The words play together to teach students that nouns and verbs need each other in a sentence. This book would be very useful to introduce a grammar lesson. After learning about nouns and verbs students could go on their very own scavenger hunt and find verbs and nouns all around the school.
Sarah Kasper
"Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day" is a cute story that will help students learn the importance of nouns and verbs and the jobs they perform in the English language. This story will get kids excited about the possibilities of mixing up nouns and verbs to make silly sentences like the teacher in the book does.
Asha Smith
This book is great to teach how verbs and nouns are needed in our language. And what would we do without verbs and nouns. The students go on a field day but they leave the nouns and verbs behind. So the verbs and nouns decide to rearrange the room and show the students how important nouns and verbs are.
Vicki
Great book about nouns and verbs. I enjoyed reading this with my son. It is a fun and interactive way to teach children about parts of speech. Nouns and verbs can't work by themselves that is why they need each other. Great illustrations!
Rowlak5

I like this book but because it is so "busy" with dialogue I know I'll need to emphasize much of the conversation so that the points won't be lost on my students. Fun approach to nouns and verbs needing each other.
Seher Patka
The nouns and verbs would also like to participate in Field Day at school along with the students. This book humanizes nouns and verbs as they create and play games. This is a fun, engaging book with colorful illustrations.
Dawn Little
A good book to model word choice and parts of speech. Nouns and verbs need each other and a sentence won't make sense without both is the gist of the story woven in a fun way.
Maria Caplin
Aug 03, 2007 Maria Caplin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Karen
Excellent book for word study! Very funny and well written to teach about the relationship between nouns and verbs and how important they are to sentences!
Rita
This is a great way to teach students about nouns and verbs. It shows that each noun and verb has a job in each sentence.:-)
Mrs Bond
There is so much happening on the page, in such a scattered way, I found it distracting. The kids don't seem to notice or mind.
Tiffanni Dean
I would read this book to my students to help introduce the difference between nouns and verbs.
Lindsey
I think this is definitely too elementary for ESL high school kids.
Noah
It was OK but not as fun to read as other books on nouns and verbs.
Donna K
It was difficult to decide where to look. There was so much going on.
Jessicaleighb
Great for teaching nouns, verbs, and how they relate
Kristen Scott
Great for teaching nouns, verbs, and how they relate
Greta
I hated the illustrations. It was just too busy.
Jeanine Santiago
Jeanine Santiago marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Sep 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Punctuation Takes a Vacation Thank You, Miss Doover Happy Endings: A Story about Suffixes Silent Letters Loud and Clear Saturday Is Dadurday