Start by marking “The Anxious Christian: Can God Use Your Anxiety for Good?” as Want to Read:
The Anxious Christian: Can God Use Your Anxiety for Good?

The Anxious Christian: Can God Use Your Anxiety for Good?

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Is anxiety "un-Christian"?

Many Christians believe the answer to this question is yes! Understandably, then, many Christians feel shame when they are anxious. They especially feel this shame when well-intentioned fellow believers dismiss or devalue anxiety with Christian platitudes and Bible verses.

Rhett Smith, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, helps us understand anx...more
Published February 21st 2012 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Anxious Christian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anxious Christian

Andrew
The Anxious Christian is written to assist readers in dealing with their anxious instead of hiding it and suppressing it. Rhett Smith begins the book on a personal note about the tragic events in his childhood that he encountered. When he was six years old, his mother felt a lump on her breast and it turned out to be breast cancer. The doctors said, “If she lives more than six more weeks, it would be a miracle”. She ended up living until Rhett was eleven years old. She fought long and hard for f...more
Denise
This was great. If you like Cloud & Townsend, you'll like this one. He so graciously challenges the predominant belief in Christian culture that something is wrong with you or your faith if you struggle with anxiety. A viewpoint I feel passionate about: he compels the reader to go further with those feelings and rethink them in terms of how God is using them for good. I didn't think I struggled at all with anxiety before reading this, but I was able to immediately apply many of his exercises...more
Bob
I really appreciated the author's emphasis on the importance of dealing with our personal issues. What I had trouble accepting was his idea that anxiety is given by God to grow us. Nowhere does the Bible speak of anxiety in a positive light and I just can't see God giving us the "gift" of anxiety and then telling us not to be anxious.

Will God use our anxiety for good if we love Him and give Him the freedom to do so? Absolutely! He'll use anything. But that is very different from the idea of Him...more
Harold Cameron
“Can God Use Your Anxiety for Good?"

“Where should I go to college? Whom should I marry? Where should I look for work? What will my friends think?

In our journey of faith there are particular moments that produce a certain amount of anxiety. Often anxiety and/or worry has been looked upon as an "un-Christian" feeling to have. But The Anxious Christian conveys the message that anxiety can actually be helpful in our spiritual formation, and that God can use anxiety as a catalyst to move people forwa...more
K

The single most important aspect of this book is the author's use of personal experience to begin to remove the stigma of mental health issues within the church. Having suffered from mental health issues since adolescence, this book drew me in. Having participated in Christian communities and read Christian books that attempted to define my mental health issues as a simple lack of faith, this book was refreshing in its honesty and compassion. There are a lot of activities throughout the book, a...more
Adam Shields
Short review: The most surprising thing about this book is that on the whole it takes a very positive view of anxiety. It understands that anxiety can become controlling and eventually lead to sin, but in general it believes that God uses anxiety to move us in directions that we do not always want to go. I realized through this book that I need to re-evaluate my understanding of anxiety and be more open to being moved by anxiety, instead of running away from it.

A longer review is on my blog at h...more
Hillary
Pretty good. Definitely something for me! Had a number of good points at which I thought, "Ah-ha!" However, a lot of fluff too. He didn't go into much detail on practical steps to take. He based most of his book on one type of anxiety, which will speak to some but not to others. At the very least, I was encouraged to see a Christian confronting anxiety head-on from a Christian perspective, without sermonizing and falling into the "Just trust God" trap.
Deb Tieman
It is a great concept to think that God uses anxiety to get my attention and that I need to rely on Him - rather than just thinking being anxious is sinful and I need to stop worrying.

Also, the author knows first-hand how crippling anxiety can be - and did a great job sharing his experiences with stuttering and overcoming his anxiety.

Missy Jent watkins
I am a Christian battling anxiety and panic disorder along with depression. So I found this book right on and very helpful. So glad God lead me to this book and I will pass it on to others dealing with these same issues. I recommend anyone who knows someone dealing with these issues to read it too.
Whitney
I honestly cannot say enough good things about this book. It gave me a whole different perspective about my anxiety. I highly recommend it to any Christian struggling with anxiety.
Matt
A little self help, a little inspiring, and a lot of new ways of looking at anxiety. Not the greatest second half, but a good read if you're struggling with anxiety as a Christian.
May 22, 2012 Sarah marked it as to-read
Sounds like something I should read. Learned about it here:
Joshbledsoe1
Solid advise on a seldom discussed topic.
Chris
Oct 24, 2012 Chris marked it as to-read
I'm not alone!! Lol
Kaylan
Kaylan marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Nana Kwame
Nana Kwame marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Ampeterson
Ampeterson marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Kristi Schaffner
Kristi Schaffner marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Katie Broyles
Katie Broyles marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Bevan Haynes
Bevan Haynes is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2014
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Ashleigh
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What it Means to be a Man: God's Design for Us in a World Full of Extremes 4 Reminders for Men Who Love God: A Portion from What it Means to be a Man 4 Reminders for Men Who Love God: A Portion from What It Means to Be a Man Total Prosperity