Start by marking “Real Food Fermentation: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen” as Want to Read:

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Preserve your favorite foods through every season with Real Food Fermentation. Control your own ingredients, techniques, and additives. Learn a practical food-preparation skill you’ll use again and again. And express yourself by making something unique and whole.

Inside, you’ll find:

—All the basics: the process, the tools, and how to get started

—A guide to choosing the righ
Published July 1st 2012 by Quarry Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Real Food Fermentation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Real Food Fermentation

Kristi
This book covers a lot of fermented foods in very little space, plus has many detailed photographs. As such, it is a great starter reference book for those new to fermenting their own foods and beverages. This is especially true if you are not sure if you are just looking to dabble. After some usual introductory information about equipment and choosing your ingredients this book covers sauerkraut and other lacto-fermented vegetables; fermented dairy like cultured butter and yoghurt; fermented fr ...more
Terry Miller
The author makes fermentation of vegetables and other foods very approachable for the novice preserver. The illustrations are of high quality and appear to be useful in illustrating the author's intended points. The book covers a lot of technique and it appears that the reader will benefit from reading the entire book prior to starting a recipe.

I will note that the author spends quite a bit of effort proselytizing the benefits of the slow food culture. There's quite a bit of prose devoted to the
Cydney
A great deal of time is spent discussing how to chop vegetables with an excess of photos of chopping, slicing, and food processors that add nothing to the learning experience. Less time is spent discussing the how-to of fermentation and that can be somewhat vague. For example the section on sauerkraut, on which we are supposed to build our fermentation skills, has 6 steps on how to chop a cabbage (7 if you count the one that suggests a food processor) and then 4 on the fermentation preparation t ...more
Toby
This is a nicely put together and visually appealing introduction to fermentation. There is a good section on the basics of technique and equipment as well as a well illustrated introduction to sauerkraut. There are a few great inventive recipes, and good intros to kombucha, kefir and a few other things. I would recommend this to someone who had no exposure to fermentation, but if you've done much of anything at all, I would probably recommend The Art of Fermentation instead.
Kerry
Fun, enthusiastic primer on fermenting food. Instructions are easy to follow and the writer keeps gadgets and ingredients to a minimum--she doesn't necessarily advocate the use of fancy appliances or the purchase of cultures, though she admits that these are available. This makes fermentation a realistic endeavor rather than an expensive one that requires the practitioner to hunt down esoteric foods or bacteria in order to create healthful and tasty preserved vegetables, fruits, and dairy.
Loraine
I didn't know I was part of an emerging slow food "craze," because I've come to the place where I want to preserve foods via the age-old lacto-fermentation process naturally. As a kid, growing up on a farm in the 1950s, we pickled, we made sauerkraut . . . so I've actually gone back to my way of cooking from scratch. And let me tell you, fermented wild dandelion greens are delicious! So is fermented kale & carrots!

I highly recommend Real Food Fermentation: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Li
Pixie
I haven't read a lot about fermented foods, so I don't know for sure how good this book is (i.e., can you get all this info on the internet?), but I liked the recipes. Some day I might try some of the simpler ones.
Matt Kruse
A good, basic introduction to a variety of fermented foods. It hits the highlights on a lot of areas (kraut and other veggies, dairy, non-dairy beverages), but doesn't have a lot of recipes in any one area.
Dan
A good basic introduction to the world of food fermentation. It's definitely aimed at the home cook, and is amply illustrated with step by step recipes.
Hana Curry
Most of the recipes were far too complicated than what I was looking for. I did find the recipe for Kombucha very interesting and informative since I have already been brewing my own. The only other recipe I would be willing to try at this time was preserved lemons and limes (which I had never even crossed my mind to ferment).
An excellent, helpfully visual primer for beginning home fermenters. All the classic, easy basics are here: sauerkraut, kimchi, yogurt, kefir, cultured butter, crème fraîche, pickles, chutneys, vinegar, cider, and kombucha (with a recipe toward the end for corned beef, which I previously did not know was traditionally a fermented food!). There is some more brief information on cultural staples like wine, beer, cheese and bread, since each of those staples already has a library of volumes dedicat ...more
Rachel
Great for the beginner! Step by step directions , clear directions and recipes, great tips and helpful techniques.
Cordula Van
This is a real good book.
recipes are easy to follow
Megan Winston
Great book, I made the sauerkraut and it was so simple and tasty!
Mindy
I enjoyed learning more about fermenting foods. This book explains the basics of fermentation but the best thing about it is the very detailed pictures and detailed instructions in the book...very helpful! I can't wait to try some of the recipes! Fabulous into book to fermentation!
Bree
Notes:
put together like pioneer woman cookbooks
tons of colorful step-by-step photos
part cookbook, part informational book
super excited to try carolina-style slaw
Sandor Katz's books are better but this is a great beginner book
Kristine
Excellent book- the best on fermentation that I've picked up. The photos are so helpful and the recipes easy to follow. Due to this book I got brave enough to try a few new things that I will now make regularly!
Teri L.
Good introduction to fermented foods, and a primer on making your own.
Great bibliography on articles, books and films about the good food movement.
Jon Stoski
Great book to get something started. Has great pictures, and makes hands-on jobs a snap. You _will_ get the pages dirty.
Aleen
Haven't tried fermenting yet, but found the photographs and step-by-step instructions useful for learning.
Elizabeth Hills
Good introductory text for fermentation. Beautiful pictures and design layout.
Kevin
Neatly organized. Detailed instructions, good information overall.
Carla
To the point! Actually processes the homemaker can use.
Kirsten Swanson
awesome pictures, great informative text
Shelley
Helpful for starting culturing.
Elizabeth
Marvelous. Let's get culturing!
Wfssrq
Wfssrq marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Heather Sawyer
Heather Sawyer marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
  • The Nourished Kitchen: Farm-to-Table Recipes for the Traditional Foods Lifestyle Featuring Bone Broths, Fermented Vegetables, Grass-Fed Meats, Wholesome Fats, Raw Dairy, and Kombuchas
  • The Art of Fermentation: An in-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from Around the World
  • The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux
  • True Brews: How to Craft Fermented Cider, Beer, Wine, Sake, Soda, Mead, Kefir, and Kombucha at Home
  • The Joy of Pickling - Revised: 250 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
  • Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving
  • Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals: Delicious, Primal-Approved Meals You Can Make in Under 30 Minutes
  • Paleo Lunches and Breakfasts On the Go: The Solution to Gluten-Free Eating All Day Long with Delicious, Easy and Portable Primal Meals
  • Tart and Sweet: 101 Canning and Pickling Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
  • Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • Simply in Season
  • Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
  • The Four Season Farm Gardener's Cookbook
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
I am an author, software engineer and architect, fermenter, health coach, real food activist, trained chef, raw milk drinker, motorcycle and scooter rider, and urban bicyclist. I write the blog Feed Me Like You Mean It. I think that Ball jars are the ultimate glassware. My heroes include Sandor Katz, Sally Fallon, Vandana Shiva, Kurt Vonnegut, Anthony Bourdain, and Alan Turing.

My first book, Real