Start by marking “First Tomato (Voyage to the Bunny Planet Book, #1)” as Want to Read:
First Tomato (Voyage to the Bunny Planet Book, #1)
Preview

First Tomato (Voyage to the Bunny Planet #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Claire's bad day at school is helped after a visit to the Bunny Planet, where she has the day that should have been.
Published September 1st 1992 by Dial (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about First Tomato, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Tomato

Heidi
Wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but I was weirded out all the same. Not one of Wells' best books, but perhaps I should read more of the series to get it.
Rebecca
The author does something interesting here; whenever a character enters the bunny planet, there is a switch from third person to first. I also like the rhythm of the book; rhyming words create a wonderful foundation for reading aloud.
Illeyana
For a simple book, I can say that I wasn't to fond of it. I was lead to believe it was based on the show "Max and Ruby" because of the illustration... Boy, was I wrong!

Overall, it was okay.
Sonia
Its an okay book. I thought for sure it was that it was a book based on that one rabbit show on TV, but I guess not.

It was a cute book nonetheless.
Maria Bulfamante
I definitely recommend this book to students! I enjoyed reading it!
Alissa Nolan
"Far beyond the moon and stars..."

This is a wonderful story for young children and a family favorite.

After a terrible winter day at school, Claire is whisked away to the Bunny Planet. Here it is warm springtime. Her mother lovingly sends her into the garden for the first tomato of the season. Claire almost eats it, but takes it to her mom.

It is a loving story and has inspired us to acknowledge bad days in our house by saying someone needs a trip to the Bunny Planet.
Samantha
Dec 17, 2011 Samantha rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
What in the world did I just read?? SO this bunny has a bad day, but suddenly everything is fixed by her daydreaming? I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!! Sure, daydreaming is therapeutic, but when LUNCH is a dreadful activity daydreaming just doesn't seem to be a fix-all thing.

Also, who would dream of TOMATOES????? I understand castles, outer space, queens...land of candy and chocolate...but tomatoes? Sorry Ms. Wells. I'm just not buying it. =|
Annie
This book is basically made of two cute stories that fail to come together in any way. I usually really, really like Rosemary Wells for her honest take on parents and children. This book is confusing. I had to read it twice to understand what she was doing. The book is trying to be cute, and different. I guess I applaud her risk, but it didn't work for me.
Fjóla
I really wasn't sure what to make of this book or how to explain it to my son. I think he was feeling pretty ambivalent about it too. At some level it's sort of cute and so are the illustrations, but at the same time it's a sad story, even bordering on "disturbing".

I'm still looking to see whether on repeated readings it will win us over ...
Nancy
Claire is having a particularly bad day. As she waits on the bench in the snow for her bus, she dreams of the Bunny Planet. On the Bunny Planet it is warm and sunny. Vegetables on the Bunny Planet are ripe. Claire finds a tomato for her mother. As she dreams of eating her tomato soup that her mother makes, her bus comes and she is back to earth.
Patricia
Dolly
Oct 03, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an odd story about a little bunny who escapes to Bunny Planet when she is having a rough day. We really enjoy Rosemary Wells' books and although this is not our favorite book, we still love her illustrations.
Notes
Buat penggemar tomat seperti saya, buku ini terasa begitu bermakna. Meskipun hanya dalam mimpi, Claire menepati janjinya membawakan ibunya sebutir tomat matang. Semangkuk sup tomat, hmmm lezatnya!
babyhippoface
I am a Rosemary Wells fan. That said, this book is a little weird. I like the two stories on their own, but the "Bunny Planet" seems...strange. I think I'll stick with Max & Ruby.
Mary
claire is having a bad day. but its okay.the bunny queen rescues her from certain abyssal depression by showing her how her day should have been. god bless her.
Cana
Mommy says: When you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, a visit to the Bunny Planet (and to the vegetable garden) can save the day.
Bunnyjadwiga
This one didn't quite grab me, even though I identify with the main character... but the first tomato story is so lovely.
Christi
I like the Max books and other books by Rosemary Wells, this isn't my favorite, but it's sweet enough. I like the tomato soup.
Marissa
Jun 16, 2007 Marissa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids having a bad day.
Shelves: picturebooks
nothing goes right for Claire all day. While waiting for the bus she visits "Bunny Planet" to imagine the perfect day.
Stephanie
May 07, 2011 Stephanie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stephanie by: Sonlight
Shelves: homeschool
This is a fun imaginative book that is beautifully written and illustrated by the great Rosemary Wells.
Megan
I do miss the yummy tomatos that were grown in the backyard during my childhood. They were so choice.
Flora
Really liked the bunny planet segment with the ripe tomato. Didn't understand the first part of the book.
Stephanie
Wonderful soothing stories of making a bad day better with a trip to the Bunny Planet.
Alexandria
This book has pretty pictures in it. I love the series for Max and Ruby, too.
Huda
Cute little bunny :)
From The Hutchinson book
Catherine
One of my very favorite Wells books.
Pam O'brien
Pam O'brien marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
  • Petunia
  • D.W. the Picky Eater
  • A Child's Book of Art: Great Pictures First Words
  • Stories from Around the World
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
  • The Year At Maple Hill Farm
  • A Treasury of Children's Literature
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • Good Queen Bess: The Story of Elizabeth I of England
  • Story of Little Babaji

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they
More about Rosemary Wells...

Voyage to the Bunny Planet (3 books)
  • The Island Light (Voyage to the Bunny Planet, #2)
  • Moss Pillows (Voyage to the Bunny Planet, #3)
Bunny Cakes Yoko Noisy Nora Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories On the Blue Comet