Start by marking “Split! Splat!” as Want to Read:
Split! Splat!

Split! Splat!

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  33 reviews
A delightful, rainy day celebration!

I sing a little rain song, a simple song, a plain song, a pitter-patter-tip-tap-on-the-windowpane song. Drip drop, plip plop, pit pat, split splat! Put down your umbrella! Take off your galoshes! It's time to sing and dance in the rain. When one little girl and her adorable dog venture out on a rainy, spring day, the neighborhood joins h
Published March 1st 2012 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Split! Splat!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Split! Splat!

Rima Aroutiounian
Little girl dancing on the rain with rhyming phrases. Its a fun read, good for learning the phonemes. Toddlers and kindergartners will love this.
Amy Musser
The rhyming text of this book follows the simple joy of a young girl as she splashes with her friends in the rain. As they stomp in puddles and sploosh through mud, the girl sings:

“I sing a little rain song,
a simple song
a plain song
a pitter-patter-tip-tap-on-the-windowpane song.”

The story begins inside the girl’s house as the rain begins to fall, so she puts on her rain gear and heads outside to play. As the story progresses, she flings off her hat, her boots, and her raincoat in favor of experi
Steven R. McEvoy
This book is a lot of fun. My oldest daughter loved it from the second she saw it and wants it to rain so she can act it out. It is the wonderful playful story of playing in the rain First the sound of rain while inside, then the sound of rain outside, then splashing and playing in the mud, to the sun coming out and a muddy mess in the house. The illustrations are done in a water-color-like style with softer shades but bright colors. The full page illustrations are awesome and the way the words ...more
Barbara
In rhyming text and with well-chosen words, a young girl revels in the simple pleasures of a spring rain, even singing a song to the rain. Lines such as "a pitter-patter-tip-tap-on-the-windowpane song" (unpaginated) and "tip/ tap,/ pit/ pat,/ pitter patter split splat!" (unpaginated)emulate the sound of rainfall perfectly. Young readers will love the lines and illustrations that highlight the fun of splashing through puddles, getting muddy, and that childhood favorite, making mud pies. WOW! This ...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
A delightful rainy day read! Like Denise Fleming's books, Amy Gibson's writing is simple, rhyming prose that expresses the experience of a rainy day. It is less of a story per se, and more of a feeling. The use of alliteration combined with sound words make for a fun and entertaining book.

The illustrations are bright, colorful and fun. They are a perfect match for the writing. I hope to find more books illustrated by Steve Bjorkman. His style is simple, yet very engaging.

Books for Kids
Josie B.
I love the sounds of the words in this book, and how the author uses them to describe the sound and feel of rain and mud. Use it to talk with parents about phonological awareness, the ability to hear the smaller sounds in words. Pair it with "Move Over Rover" by Karen Beaumont for a wet and rainy preschool storytime. Follow them up with an activity where the children make the sounds of the rainstorm: Rub hands together, snap fingers, clap hands, slap thighs, stomp feet, slap thighs, clap hands,s ...more
Megan
Jun 03, 2014 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: boots
lovely rythmic text
Janet
Ok, as an adult I dislike rain and rainy days. However, as a child I liked nothing better than to be playing in summer rain, mud etc. After a severe summer storm would pass I wanted outside to see where the puddles where, how the wet grass felt. This book evoked all those memories and I loved it. The author and illustrator have done a great job creating what this experience is like. Here's to more children having this wonderful sensory exploration. It's great fun.
Anna
Cute rhyming picture book about a little girl playing in the rain. She made a big mess and then came home and had a big bubble bath.

The boys enjoyed it; Bryce gave it 10 stars, Sean 7 stars.

Featured at the Huntsville Public Library Story Hour "Mud and Dirt" session in July 2013.
Angie
Sharing this one with my preschool storytime kids this morning. I'll report back! Great word play and fun sounds. A girl and her dog playing in the rain and listening to the sounds around them. It's a good celebration of spring type story.
Sandy Brehl
If the entire text were written as a poem it would work well on its own. Combined with the illustrations and page-turn pacing this rhythmic, repetitive, playful text charms, entertains, and begs to be read again and again.
Shelli
A good read-aloud/sing aloud book for kindergarten or preschool educators to read with their students on a rainy day. Or, a playful parent that would like to share then go for an adventurous afternoon of splashing in puddles.
Dorothy From
Any parent or grandparent will tell you that picture books aren't just read - they're RE-read, over and over again. This one continues to delight. I love the wordplay in this joyful readaloud, and the illustrations are such fun.
Libby
Cute onomatopoeic about playing outside in and after the rain--at times, the rhythm and sounds become a tongue-twister for the adult reading it, but if you can manage it and/or practice a lot, it can flow very nicely.
Shanshad Whelan
Lots of onomatopoeia in this one! I've been looking for some fun rain books to do with my toddlers--this might fit the bill. The pictures are a little low key, but fine.
Annelise
Rhyming, great rhythm, all about playing in the rain and getting muddy and loving it. Great to see the adult characters playing and getting muddy, too.
Bonnie
Aug 03, 2012 Bonnie added it
Shelves: order, 2012, picture

Great read aloud for the younger crowd. I've lost my pre-k class, but it would be perfect for them. Maybe an interactive read with kindergarten?
Audra
I love all the sound effects in this book! The pictures are very clear and active. It's great when teaching young children about weather and/or Spring.
Brindi
This a great book for a rainy day! The simple, rhyming and sing-song words are a blast and make the story unique and fun.
Linda Atkinson
The simple rhymes and large, bright illustrations create a joyful celebration of a rainy, spring day in the neighborhood. 3+
Nancy Vu
Grades k-2. This book has a song for the different types of weather. The author finds fun ways to enjoy all types of weather.
Donalyn
A fun book about playing in the mud and rain. Great word choices, rhymes, and onomatopoeia.
Paula
Great rhyming song about a wonderful rainy day. The main character enjoys every aspect of the rain
Carol Royce Owen
A cute book to share with kids as spring begins to celebrate the rain that comes.
Wendy Kuzma
The language used to describe the sound of the rain in this book is so much fun!
Kendra
Such wonderfully delicious sounds! mucka mucka wucka, splooshy wooshy, splat
Edward Sullivan
A lively celebration of the joy of playing in the rain and mud.
Jennifer Kaap
Pretty poetry... would be lovely for a rainy toddler storytime.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Having earned her BA in English from Stanford University and MA in Education, Amy put her schooling to excellent use – she became an elementary school teacher. In the classroom, she framed her entire school year as a trip around the world, exploring animals and cultures along the way. She’s passionate about making language and learning irresistible fun.
More about Amy Gibson...
Catching Kisses Around the World on Eighty Legs: Animal Poems: Animal Poems By Day, By Night For Keeps: Meaningful Patchwork for Every Day Living