Start by marking “The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired” as Want to Read:
The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired

The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Both a popular hobby and a recognized art form, collage encompasses a wide range of creative styles and techniques—explored here by the creator of the popular A Collage a Day blog. Offering step-by-step instruction, visual inspiration, and even a library of copyright-free images, this hands-on guide covers all the necessary materials, tools, and know-how, from adding color ...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Lark Crafts

To ask other readers questions about The Collage Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collage Workbook

Natasha
This was a good solid book and there was a lot to like about it. I preface the review with the fact that I am a painter more than a collager so that is my bias.

There is excellent design and composition information at the front end of the book which is a really useful reference. I found it really interesting and it was very clearly written and illustrated.

There were 50 prompts to explore as well, and he provides examples of where he went with the prompt. Many of the prompts I thought were really
Quinn
It's less of a text and more of an inspiration book. Yes, there are some fast how-tos, but largely there is a double spread with some tips on one side and the image of the completed collage on the other. At the end there are copyright-free images you can use in your own work.

The collages were largely OK rather than well done. There are many of them, and I got the feeling that some of them were done for the book rather than done with time and purpose and collected for the book. The free images ar
Jamila
This book is a practical guide to getting started in collage. Plowman provides great examples and 50 activities to stay inspired.
Bluefish
I liked it enough to buy it, which I normally don't do with art books...
F.P.
I admit I absolutely adore collaging. I picked up this book recently, and I've been enjoying it so much that I find it hard to put down. It has freed me from feeling like I'm not a "real artist" because I don't enjoy working large-scale. Painting that way is just too physically tiring for me.

Now, thanks to this book, I keep working small and not feeling bad about that. I also keep repeating the exercises inside. They're so straightforward and neato that I CAN keep repeating them.
Tammy
Oct 17, 2014 Tammy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: art, own
I enjoy Plowman's work and was curious to learn more about his approach to collage. The art is beautifully photographed; this is a gallery of Plowman's work more than anything else. It would have been lovely to include photographs that captured the texture of the collage work. So I like this as a beginner to intermediate collage idea book. The prompts are playful and varied. Collage concepts & techniques were not covered in any depth.
Terrie Purkey
I picked this up second hand at Powell Books in Portland. I was intrigued by his style as I flipped through the book - again, not a lot of 'new' techniques, but lots of ideas, inspiration and room for further exploration.
Mar 09, 2013 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
More of a gallery book than a workbook. Good for idea-gathering.
Bridgett
Great book. Especially helpful is the five minute collage!
Lee
I like collages and paper crafts - fun and versatile.
Kate
Fun hobby -- great ideas, organization and images!
Karen Holmes
Loved it! Beautiful to look at and very helpful.
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Nnedimma Ugochukwu
Nnedimma Ugochukwu marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Callie Carroll
Callie Carroll marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Jessie Cumpson
Jessie Cumpson marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Kelley Taylor
Kelley Taylor marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014