Start by marking “The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired” as Want to Read:
The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired

The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Both a popular hobby and a recognized art form, collage encompasses a wide range of creative styles and techniques—explored here by the creator of the popular A Collage a Day blog. Offering step-by-step instruction, visual inspiration, and even a library of copyright-free images, this hands-on guide covers all the necessary materials, tools, and know-how, from adding color ...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Lark Crafts

To ask other readers questions about The Collage Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collage Workbook

Natasha
Jan 27, 2013 Natasha rated it liked it
This was a good solid book and there was a lot to like about it. I preface the review with the fact that I am a painter more than a collager so that is my bias.

There is excellent design and composition information at the front end of the book which is a really useful reference. I found it really interesting and it was very clearly written and illustrated.

There were 50 prompts to explore as well, and he provides examples of where he went with the prompt. Many of the prompts I thought were really
Quinn
May 23, 2013 Quinn rated it liked it
It's less of a text and more of an inspiration book. Yes, there are some fast how-tos, but largely there is a double spread with some tips on one side and the image of the completed collage on the other. At the end there are copyright-free images you can use in your own work.

The collages were largely OK rather than well done. There are many of them, and I got the feeling that some of them were done for the book rather than done with time and purpose and collected for the book. The free images ar
Karrie Stewart
Jun 06, 2015 Karrie Stewart rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book for anyone with or without artist training. Randel gives info about all the items you'll need, a little art lesson and 50 projects to get you started with doing your own collages.
Jamila
Dec 31, 2014 Jamila rated it it was amazing
This book is a practical guide to getting started in collage. Plowman provides great examples and 50 activities to stay inspired.
Bluefish
Mar 21, 2014 Bluefish rated it really liked it
I liked it enough to buy it, which I normally don't do with art books...
F.P.
May 30, 2013 F.P. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, nonfiction
I admit I absolutely adore collaging. I picked up this book recently, and I've been enjoying it so much that I find it hard to put down. It has freed me from feeling like I'm not a "real artist" because I don't enjoy working large-scale. Painting that way is just too physically tiring for me.

Now, thanks to this book, I keep working small and not feeling bad about that. I also keep repeating the exercises inside. They're so straightforward and neato that I CAN keep repeating them.
Tammy
Oct 17, 2014 Tammy rated it liked it
Shelves: art, own
I enjoy Plowman's work and was curious to learn more about his approach to collage. The art is beautifully photographed; this is a gallery of Plowman's work more than anything else. It would have been lovely to include photographs that captured the texture of the collage work. So I like this as a beginner to intermediate collage idea book. The prompts are playful and varied. Collage concepts & techniques were not covered in any depth.
Terrie Purkey
Oct 31, 2012 Terrie Purkey rated it liked it
I picked this up second hand at Powell Books in Portland. I was intrigued by his style as I flipped through the book - again, not a lot of 'new' techniques, but lots of ideas, inspiration and room for further exploration.
Mar 09, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: art
More of a gallery book than a workbook. Good for idea-gathering.
Bridgett
Jun 27, 2013 Bridgett rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book. Especially helpful is the five minute collage!
Lee
Jun 16, 2013 Lee rated it it was ok
I like collages and paper crafts - fun and versatile.
Kate
Apr 07, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
Fun hobby -- great ideas, organization and images!
Karen Holmes
Jun 11, 2013 Karen Holmes rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Beautiful to look at and very helpful.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Rolayne
Rolayne marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Ayny
Ayny marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Louise Carlson Stowell
Louise Carlson Stowell marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Zahra
Zahra marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Reanna Tuft
Reanna Tuft rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Elena
Elena rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Erin Marquez
Erin Marquez marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Adriana
Adriana marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Judi
Judi marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Inner Excavation: Exploring Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • Journal It!: Perspectives in Creative Journaling
  • Cultivating Your Creative Life: Exercises, Activities & Inspiration for Finding Balance, Beauty & Success as an Artist
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
  • Making an Impression: Designing & Creating Artful Stamps
  • Unfurling, A Mixed-Media Workshop with Misty Mawn: Inspiration and Techniques for Self-Expression through Art
  • Collage Lab: Experiments, Investigations, and Exploratory Projects
  • Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms
  • The Book of Doing: Everyday Activities to Unlock Your Creativity and Joy
  • Creative Thursday: Everyday Inspiration to Grow Your Creative Practice
  • Creative Lettering and Beyond: Inspiring tips, techniques, and ideas for hand lettering your way to beautiful works of art
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
  • Handmade to Sell: Hello Craft's Guide to Owning, Running, and Growing Your Crafty Biz
  • The Art of Urban Sketching: Drawing On Location Around The World
  • Hand-Lettering Ledger: A Practical Guide to Creating Serif, Script, Illustrated, Ornate, and Other Totally Original Hand-Drawn Styles
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict