Start by marking “Red & Yellow's Noisy Night” as Want to Read:
Red & Yellow's Noisy Night

Red & Yellow's Noisy Night

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
“I believe that The Olive Branch can help make a real difference in our world.”--Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Red and Yellow live together in the branches of an olive tree--but these two friends are as different as can be, and sometimes have trouble co-existing peacefully. Red wants to play loudly on his strummy, while Yellow longs for sleep. This adorable bedtime story about to
Published April 3rd 2012 by Sterling Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Red & Yellow's Noisy Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red & Yellow's Noisy Night

Meghan Mcmanis
Oct 24, 2012 Meghan Mcmanis rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorites out of all the books that I chose. I love how Red and Yellow live in their olive tree and yellow is trying to go to bed and red keeps on playing music on his guitar. Yellow gets upset and tells him to please be quiet so that he can go to bed, but red ignores him and keeps on playing. Then red strums a little softer and keeps playing his music and puts yellow to sleep with it. This book is so cute! It says so much about friendship, marriage, and loved ones. You have t ...more
Jessica Hottman
Summary:
Two animals named Red and Yellow live in an Olive Tree. These animals get into some disagreements because Red is always playing his “strummy” (guitar) too loud when Yellow is trying to get some sleep. Yellow accuses Red of being too loud and Red accuses Yellow of sleeping too much. Then, Red realizes how quite the night is and begins to play his strummy softer. Yellow likes it because the soft tunes put him right to sleep. All is well again in the Olive Tree.

Audience:
This book is intende
Jane
Dec 22, 2015 Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I really didn’t expect to like this book. It’s an adaptation of a cartoon show that I’ve never heard of, and it’s all about “tolerance and conflict resolution”, which sounds either gag-inducing or snooze-worthy (I prefer picture books that impart their messages with a subtle hand, and don’t hit children over the head with overt morals).

I actually found this book downright adorable. The illustrations aren’t too slick or computer-generated, and actually have a bit of hand-drawn charm. Red and Yell
Linda
Sep 18, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
Red and Yellow are two animal-like characters living in an Olive tree together. One night while Yellow is trying to sleep, Red decides to play his "strummy" rather loudly, I must say! The two get into a tiff about sleeping versus playing the "strummy". Red suddenly stops and listens to the night. The quiet of the night...that is what he hears...quiet under the stars. And he picks up his "strummy," playing quietly as the night, lulling Yellow to sleep. The two are back living in peace in the Oliv ...more
Kristie
Sep 16, 2012 Kristie rated it really liked it
•Brief summary
Red and Yellow are having a hard time. Yellow is ready to go to sleep and red wants to stay up and play his strummy. Yellow is upset because Red's strummy is keeping him awake. In the end they come up with a compramise. Red will play quiet music that will help Yellow to fall asleep.

•Audience
I would read this book to preschool or kindergarden.

•Appeal
This story helps children learn about conflict resolution and respecting others. This story helps the child to see both sides of the
Ashley Vance
Sep 28, 2012 Ashley Vance rated it liked it
The main characters, Red and Yellow, are friends that live in an olive tree together and learn to how to cooperate as roommates. It always happened that one of them would be trying to sleep and the other would be playing the bongos. Toward the end, they learn to get along and take each other's feelings into consideration, as they play their instruments together.

I would recommend this book for third graders because I think they would like the personalities of Red and Yellow and they could relate
Jan 07, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, bedtime
I just happened upon this book and included it in my family storytime. I fell in love with the two characters. It is a short read and would work for any age group. I had the children pretend to strum their strummy as Red does. The illustrations are adorable.
Molly G
Jul 14, 2012 Molly G rated it liked it
A DELIGHTFUL sweetly charming cuddly book, nicely befitting a moment of transition for me: it's my last day at my beloved bookstore job (moving on to another exciting job! but still sad to leave). There are some plushy versions of picture book characters for sale in the kids' section, on of whom is Red. Today my manager showed me a Red whose tail had somehow been torn in half, stuffing spilling out. (My theory is: overtwisting.) I taped it back together and stuck a bandaid on it, and the manager ...more
Amy
Dec 03, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
Red and Yellow live together and have a little conflict about Red playing his "strummy" too loudly while Yellow is trying to sleep. They come to a conclusion quite nicely.
Barbara
Mar 13, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, animals
Conflict resolution is the name of the game, and this picture book shows how it is done so that both sides have to give a little to get a little. Red and Yellow (two unspecified animal species) live together in an olive tree, and most of the time everything goes smoothly. But on one particular night, as Yellow settles into bed, Red begins playing an instrument that makes loud sounds and keeps Yellow from sleeping. Since both can't have things their way, the two friends make a compromise so that ...more
Sandra
Feb 06, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it
Short, simple, easy to understand book on compromise for littles with cute equally simple illustrations.
Sandra Guerfi
Feb 22, 2016 Sandra Guerfi rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A lovely little tale about learning to compromise and learn to care about friends needs.
North Lake County Public Library
Cute story, well illustrated. The children seemed to connect well with the book, though mostly in the pointing-and-naming manner of our littlest littlies.
Hope L. Justice
Here's my issue with this book: the animals have no name, or true shape for that matter. (I cannot tell what they are. I'd like to think squirrel, but then those tails? What is that?) The story is very basic, but calling the guitar strummy? It's just not even cute. Books can be cute and educational, while this one chooses to use nick names and basic colors for it's plot instead of characters and vocabulary children should be learning.
Violet
Oct 08, 2012 Violet rated it really liked it
The illustrations won me over. The story is a very simple, but worthwhile lesson in compromise appropriate for very young children. "This charming story is based on 'The Olive Branch,' an animated television series which airs on over 100 channels around the world. The series promotes an understanding of conflict resolution and mutual respect." - from the book jacket. Would make a lovely gift for young children.
Caitlin Sabers
Red and Yellow sleep in the same tree together and never agree on when to go to sleep. This reminds me of a couple in bed when one partner wants to sleep and the other wants the light on so that they can read. They both become frustrated and their friendship is momentarily tested. This book is great for discussing conflict resolution and what to do if your friend wants to not play with you, etc.
Margaret
What a cute book! This one is fun with all sorts of hidden discussion such as the colors red and yellow to the sizes of big and small. Finding compromise is what is needed for these two friends and this book shows a great way to come about it. I like this one for our shelves and the thoughts that it might prompt. Definitely recommended.

*Thanks to Sterling for providing a copy for review.*
Diane
Jan 06, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
Cute, with a small lesson added in (which you are not hit over the head with)
babyhippoface
Sep 20, 2012 babyhippoface rated it liked it
The story here is not much, but would work for bedtimes. It's the illustrations that stand out. These two little critters (I will admit I don't know what they are) are doggone adorable.
Wooden Horse
Cute story about the conflict resolution between Red fox and Yellow Bear. I am not familiar with the TV series "The Olive Branch" however this story is based on that show.
Holly Webster
Jul 21, 2012 Holly Webster rated it really liked it
I talk with my daughter a lot about problem-solving and resolving conflict. I'm also a sucker for well illustrated books. This is a great example of of both!
Lizzie
Jul 16, 2012 Lizzie rated it really liked it
Simply told morality tale good for those 4 and 5 year old crowd. Fun facial expressions. Good real aloud for a kids who are having trouble getting a long.
Angie
Jun 27, 2012 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
This one is a little preachy. That said? It's one of the more enjoyable preachy titles I've seen. One to use when discussing compromise. And bedtime.
Paula
Red and yellow together solve problems to make both of them happy. The idea of the olive branch, in this case a tree, is nicely included.
Jodie
Sep 02, 2012 Jodie rated it liked it
Teachers can make use of this book while talking about conflict resolution between friends. Pictures tie-in well with the text.
Patti
Apr 03, 2013 Patti rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Got this from the library. Short and sweet, but we keep coming back to it. Very cute illustrations. :)
Rachel
What a wonderful way to resolve the problem; I like how music was part of the issue, but also the resolution.
Sep 05, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
Moral prose - a little heavy handed
Illustrations simple and re-used spread to spread
Lindsay
Mar 07, 2013 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Great illustrations and a very simple, child-friendly depiction of conflict resolution.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »