Start by marking “100 Great Poems of the Twentieth Century” as Want to Read:
100 Great Poems of the Twentieth Century

100 Great Poems of the Twentieth Century

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Accounting for the great range of style and content with which poets such as W. H. Auden, Dylan Thomas, Federico García Lorca, Rainer Maria Rilke, William Butler Yeats, Pablo Neruda, and Jorge Luis Borges responded to the changes and challenges of the twentieth century, 100 Great Poems of the Twentieth Century is intended as both a unique compendium for the already well-ve ...more
Published June 17th 2005 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Great Poems of the Twentieth Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Great Poems of the Twentieth Century

Vishvapani
Apr 20, 2013 Vishvapani rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A very different, personal and stimulating anthology of 20th century poetry. One poem per author makes this a guide to great poets, rather than poems. The usual suspects, known to English language poetry readers like me are here: Yeats, Eliot, Pound, Auden, Stevens, Williams etc; and also the most famous non-English language poets: Rilke, Neruda, Lorca et al.
The distinctive feature of the anthology is that Strand usually chooses lesser-known works; he has a good spread of mid-to-late 20th centu
False Millennium
Dec 08, 2014 False Millennium rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
If a poetry anthology can be considered "politically correct," you've got your volume...and that is what was wrong with it, in my opinion. I went for this book because poet Mark Strand edited it. He died recently and I had gone to the library to get books of his poetry, which were not available. When I describe what I perceive as flaws in this book, it might not be the same for someone else. Strand would chose a poet from say...Russia, and then pick their one poem that runs five pages. This happ ...more
Tapestrymlp
May 03, 2009 Tapestrymlp rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009, poetry
I love poetry and have a certain weakness for anthologies. 100 Great Poems is a rather tall promise to make in the book's title and indeed the collection doesn't quite live up to that promise. One strength of the collection is that it contains a nice range of poetry from around the world and not just English poets. However, the poems selected are uneven, some quite good, some barely poetry at all and few that I would call great.

I think the editor was trying to find lesser known poems and poets,
Jessica
Feb 22, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
There are some really great poems in this collection.

I realize that it is a personal collection, and that there are many many poets and poems from the 20th century, so the editor had to restrict himself somehow. But I really feel like he missed out on including a lot of very influential poets and wonderful poems by choosing to limit the collection to poets born before 1927.
Ronald Wise
Jul 27, 2011 Ronald Wise rated it liked it
Strand explains at the beginning that he did not try to select the "greatest" poems, nor to rank them, but was trying to gather an international respresentation of great poetry written in the 20th century. For each poet there was a biographic sketch in the "Biographies" section, and I found that by reading the poet's biography first, I was better able to appreciate the poetry, knowing something about the time and situation from which it arose. Strand seemed to have a taste similar to mine in tha ...more
Manday
Mar 10, 2009 Manday rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2009, anthology
I think that it is really hard to make a good poetry anthology because poetry is so personal: a single poem will strike a chord with one person while it makes no sense to another. If this was the top 100 poems of the twentieth century, then the twentieth century left something to be desired in my opinion. However, because I found one or two complete gems in the anthology that I will read over and over, I gave it three stars.
Jade
Mar 25, 2016 Jade rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
I do really like anthologies, yet overall, this collection was "okay." I must mention there were a handful of exceptional poems that stood out among the mediocre and the painful to read. Two I enjoyed were Hart Crane's My Grandmother's Love Letters and In The Waiting Room by Elizabeth Bishop, just to name a couple off the top of my head.
Miriam
Jul 27, 2009 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I really liked the concept -- a poet sharing his favorite poems -- but was a little disappointed by Strand's choices, which resulted in a pretty standard "greats" selection. I'd read pretty much everyhting here before, and most of them weren't my favorites even within the corpus of the individual poets represented.
Paige
Dec 21, 2007 Paige rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous!
Ninsi Anna
Ninsi Anna marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Bruno Sousa
Bruno Sousa marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Ananya
Ananya marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Tractatus84
Tractatus84 rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
jean
jean added it
Jan 20, 2016
David Bristol
David Bristol is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2016
Dan
Dan rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2016
Kristela Janina
Kristela Janina marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Sheridan
Sheridan marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Chirag Alishah
Chirag Alishah marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
H Lamar
H Lamar rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Gregory
Gregory marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Christine Stocke
Christine Stocke marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Kristin Nador
Kristin Nador marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
31907
Mark Strand was a Pulitzer Prize-winning American poet, essayist, and translator. He was appointed Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress in 1990. Since 2005, he has been a professor of English at Columbia University.

Strand also wrote children's books and art criticism, helped edit several poetry anthologies and translated Italian poet Rafael Alberti.

He is survived by a son
More about Mark Strand...