Start by marking “The People: No Different Flesh” as Want to Read:
The People: No Different Flesh

The People: No Different Flesh (The People)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  645 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Science Fiction. In fine condition, clean and unmarked. A very nice vintage collector's item. Number # V2344. Originally 75 cts. Protected in a clear poly sleeve.
Published August 1st 1987 by Avon Books (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People

Manny
So here's your obscure literary comparison question for today: Ayn Rand is to Ursula Le Guin as Stephenie Meyer is to...

Give up? Well, I think you can make a decent case for "Zenna Henderson". The parallels with Meyer are striking. Henderson was raised as a Mormon, and made her name writing about "The People", a group of human-like extraterrestrials who live among normal folks in rural America. The People have unusual powers, which they normally hide but can occasionally reveal to trusted human
Joy
An Earth couple save a baby fluttering lost among the trees. After baby Lala is reunited with her father of the People, Johannan and his friends share some of their stories with the couple. Here we learn why the People love so much the memory of their lost planet Home, why they are so careful of the exposure of their Talents; yet all the things the People and Earthmen of good will can do for each other.

The People books are deserving classics for their deeply felt and beautifully written explorat
Valerie
I remember when Zenna Henderson died. As with many people whom you'd really LIKE to know about, it wasn't reported in major media--I learned about it from Locus. According to biographical sources, she'd only have been about 66 when she died, though she looked much older.

It's doubtful whether she'd have written any more if she'd lived longer, however. She was a careful craftswoman, and her works were few but intricate.

This book was most likely put together in response to wide popular demand. It t
Alan Denham
I found one of the stories in here way back in the mid 1960s. It convinced me that this genre was what I wanted to read! At that time I didn't realise that there were a couple of books-worth of linked short stories in this world. Imagine my joy when I found out! (And my disappointment that, so far as I know, there are only two books-worth!)
From then on, I read everything by Zenna Henderson that I could find. Over the years, I have come to be a little unhappy about the Christianity implicit here
Cindy
The People #1 - Pilgrimage
The People #2 - No Different Flesh
Author: Zenna Henderson

I love this series - re-read it regularly! Most of the stories [but not the thread connecting them] have appeared independently in various science fiction and fantasy magazines and some short story collections. The two books have also been collected in the omnibus edition Ingathering: The Complete People Stories of Zenna Henderson.

Although she was not as well known [or as prolific] as Heinlein and Asimov and Norto
Gill
I found a hardback copy of Pilgrimage amongst the family books, and eventually got round to reading it. So when I saw this one on Bookmooch I asked for it.
I do enjoy Zenna Henderson's writing, and wish she had been around for longer to write more and more fully.
She has a light touch and writes concisely, as a series of short, linked stories. She can make her characters real and believable with few words and one cares about what happens to them. The society she writes about is an idealized one,
Kris
I will remember until I die the hot flat, horrible campground my grandparents dragged the family to and there I discovered The People when my mother finished No Different Flesh and handed it to me to read. The campground in all it horribleness faded away and I became entwined in the lives of other people.
Zenna Henderson unwittingly sparked my first religious crisis when she introduced me to Exodus 22:18 - "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live". And at the tender age of 14 or 15, I started to th
MaryLou Pearce
Zenna Henderson wrote five books based on an alien race called "The People" who are stranded on earth and are very similar to humans with the exception that they have special gifts/powers. An incredible storyteller able to weave a story that draws you into a world that you wish really did exist and to which you could belong. I am lucky enough to have located and purchased all of Ms Henderson's books and they are counted among the books that I treasure and will be with me for years to come.
Mary Miller
I've read this over and over again over the years by Zenna Henderson. It still brings much joy, clear discussion about extra sensory perception, how it works, what it is, in a 'sane' way. Well written, and good discussion of it's time. If you can find it, read it! There is so much good here. Original date listed here, is approximate, but it is about the time I FIRST read Zenna Henderson and it's affect on me, is the work I do now. Thanks to Zenna.
Janis Ian
A severely under-rated, under-remembered leader in the field, whose influence is quoted by authors as diverse as Connie Willis and Orson Scott Card. Just a seminal concept, written with elegance and wonder.
Erik Graff
Dec 19, 2009 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Henderson fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I'd come across stories by Zenna Henderson's People for some time before obtaining a whole book about them. I read this edition up in Michigan soon after its publication, mostly as a bedtime book.

The concept behind the stories is of an alien people stranded on earth who are pretty much entirely human except for a variety of parapsychological gifts like esp. At the time of reading they reminded me most of the Amish or of old school Mennonites. They keep to themselves and are generally gentle and
Ian
Henderson's second collection about the People - disappointing. I reviewed it on SF Mistressworks: http://sfmistressworks.wordpress.com/...
Rhett
I remember enjoying this story greatly but I don't remember the details. I'm sure I'll enjoy re-reading it someday.
D.M. Dutcher
It's a collection of short stories about extraterrestial aliens called the People who come to earth and live among us, interacting with us when fate throws us together. It's unique in that it's one of the few openly religious SF books in that time frame, and also in its style and tone. It's gentle, spiritual, and about as opposite from traditional sixties SF as could be.

The stories are a mixed bag, but they get better further on, and the People are a winsome race. You feel real sadness when they
Janlen
Neither sado-masochism nor the Galgamex vagina is my thing. Imagine Smallville only Tom Welling is writing the script. This sucks big time. I managed to finish the first story and that's where it will end.
Jeffrey Mclellan
This one along with the other 'People' stories have a warm place in my heart. I first read them in my early teens and many decades later scenes and stories from these books still come to my mind.

Set in the turn of the previous century (1900's ?), a scattered group of refugees from another world tries to hide and survive in remote settings here on earth. Although they look entirely human, they are more advanced than us in several ways involving their 'gifts' and their morality.
Anya
The sequel to "Pilgrimage: Book of The People." It has the same kind of framework (lots of inter-connected short stories told by the characters) and characters as the first book, but rather than tell how the People adjusted to life on Earth and found each other, this book gives more back story about how they actually got to Earth in the first place. It was just as riveting to read, although, like the first book, it ends quite abruptly and leaves you wanting more.
Gregoire
un chouia trop moralisateur (on retrouve très dilué le conflit mutant/humain) mais finalement pour un livre écrit dans les années 60 il a plutôt bien vieilli (il s'agit d'un habile montage de différents récits pour écrire l'histoire du Peuple depuis la destruction de leur planète jusqu'à leur arrivée sur Terre et leur insertion plus ou moins réussie dans une Amérique rurale)
Jude
Nov 28, 2008 Jude added it
i cannot remember the quality of the writing - but i remember reading her two People books over and over - and being outraged at the tv version. the world was simpler, i was simpler, and speculative fiction could be simpler too - or at least that's what i imagine now. these were people i cared about - that i wanted to know - that i wanted to belong to.
Ruth
Loved it. Loved it especially as I am sure I had a copy of this book as a teenager and yet it was all fresh and new to me -- either I am going a little soft, or ...Anyway, it felt like I had found familiar characters in new situations - lovely!

Sandy H
I read the Zenna Henderson books decades ago (sigh) when I was in junior high or so. I don't recall much of the detail anymore, but still remember how much I loved them. I do plan on reading them again at some point.
Joy
Once again adding to my list of influential science fiction stories of my childhood, gleaned from the many pulp SyFy mags I devoured. I seem to remember this being made into a schlocky movie for TV, maybe??
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read this book when I was a teenager, and I LOVED it! It was made into an ok made-for-TV movie back in the '70s. Zenna Henderson writes like no one else I know. It's too bad she didn't write more!
Kathie (katmom)
Loved this book...loved the aliens who are more US than we are!

They love the Lord, Jesus...and I loved the flow of how this worked.

I've carted this book around for 35 years...I must like it!
Curtis
The "People" stories were my favorite sci-fi when I was younger.

Sci-fi with a heart.
I really wish I hadn't given my Zenna Henderson books away to a guy who never returned them.
Diane
Revisiting after 20 years. Reminds me of what I live and lived about science fiction.
Randy
Good collection, just slightly be;ow the first. Still worth reading.
fantasy/scifi,fiction,women authors
Kerry
The sequel is as good as the first.
  • The Witches of Karres (The Witches of Karres, #1)
  • The Web of Spider (Spider Trilogy, #3)
  • Star Man's Son, 2250 A.D
  • A Dream of Wessex
  • The Starry Rift
  • The Judas Rose (Native Tongue #2)
  • Weird Tales
  • The Worlds of Robert A. Heinlein
  • The Best of Cordwainer Smith
  • Narabedla Ltd.
  • Other Days, Other Eyes
  • Haunt Of Horror: Edgar Allan Poe
  • How Much for Just the Planet? (Star Trek: Worlds Apart, #2)
  • Consider Her Ways and Others
  • Empire Star
  • Mouse and Dragon (Liaden Universe, #7)
  • Tomorrow's Children: 18 Tales Of Fantasy And Science Fiction
  • The Billion Dollar Boy
193296
Zenna Chlarson Henderson was born on November 1, 1917 in the Tucson, Arizona area. She graduated from Arizona State in 1940 with a Bachelors degree in education and worked as a teacher in Arizona throughout her life. She died on May 11, 1983, at the age of 65, in Tucson.

Henderson is known almost entirely for short stories about "The People." The People are a race of sensitive, human-looking alien
More about Zenna Henderson...

The People (3 books)
  • Pilgrimage: The Book of the People (The People)
  • Ingathering: The Complete People Stories of Zenna Henderson (The People)
Pilgrimage: The Book of the People (The People) The Anything Box Holding Wonder Ingathering: The Complete People Stories of Zenna Henderson (The People) The Zenna Henderson Collection

“In any age when people pervert goodness, love, and obedience and set up a god small enough to fit their shrunken souls...Anything is evil,...It lies on the other side of the line you draw around what you will accept as good. Some people's lines are awfully narrow.” 5 likes