Start by marking “Der Regenmacher” as Want to Read:
Der Regenmacher

Der Regenmacher

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  141,465 Ratings  ·  1,501 Reviews
Rudy Baylor, ein Jurastudent im letzten Semester, gewinnt seine ersten "Mandanten", ein Ehepaar, dessen Sohn an Leukämie erkrankt ist. Die Krankenversicherung weigert sich, für die wahrscheinlich lebensrettende Therapie zu zahlen. Rudy erkennt bald, daß er es mit einem riesigen Versicherungsskandal zu tun hat. Er nimmt den Kampf gegen eines der mächtigsten, korruptesten un ...more
Published 1996 by Wilhelm Heyne (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Der Regenmacher, please sign up.

Stephen
“I'm alone and outgunned, scared and inexperienced, but I'm right.”
Photobucket

Smooth, savvy, satisfying…I think this is my new favorite John Grisham novel. While not heavy on scholarly nuance, it has some depth and is crisp, right-hearted, expertly paced and reads like ice-cold lemonade on the porch in summertime.*

*Please feel free to mentally substitute the simile ‘hot toddy curled up in front of a fire in winter’ if you prefer.

While this page-turner is a very easy read, I wouldn’t call this light as G
Jessica
Nov 09, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why did I like this book so much? Because it showed the "other" side of lawyering - the side that isn't romanticized in Grisham's other novels. For once, there were no mobsters, no politicians with hidden agendas, no paranoid millionaires with money to burn, no fresh-out-of-college rookies who land in hot water because they accidentally stumbled upon a secret that their storied firms had been keeping for years.

Rudy struggles from the outset. He's handed one opportunity after another, only to see
Max Ostrovsky
Apr 10, 2012 Max Ostrovsky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pop, fiction
A very sloppy beginning and an even worse sloppy ending.
The beginning I found meandering. There were just too many plot lines that contained no suspense or anything that grabbed me. I couldn't even feel anything for the main character until close to the middle of the book.
The middle of the book, however, was fantastic. It was engaging and fast paced. I found myself not wanting to put the book down. The centerpiece of the book, the main trial, was handled absolutely fantastically. There were so
Asghar Abbas
Feb 20, 2016 Asghar Abbas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

My favorite Grisham novel. This is the best one in my opinion. The only one of his books I kept. Rest, I gave them away. Because I have outgrown him . OK, I lied. I kept his Brethren novel too. But you get my point.

This was him getting as close to being a poet as he could.

*Saying it in South Park the movie fashion* Matt Damon got nothing on this book.
Karen
Mar 25, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Grisham's books that I forgot I had read a long time back. Very good!!
Mahlon
Oct 20, 2010 Mahlon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Leave it to John Grisham to turn a story that pivots on the technical language of an insurance policy into a riveting court room drama! One of his best.

I would've liked A more fleshed resolution to Miss Bertie's problems however.

I haven't read a Grisham book since The Runaway Jury in 1997. This book made me want to go back and read his other works to see what I might have missed.
Harv Griffin
Mar 08, 2013 Harv Griffin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, own
This is one of my 2 favorite Grisham novels—don’t bother with the movie, it’s a campy mess of bad acting and awful direction IMHO (actually, the movie is so bad that it is occasionally amusing).

pic of my copy of Rainmaker

I love courtroom drama. RAINMAKER pits the law student who hasn’t even passed the bar yet and his “paralawyer” against the Big Bad Insurance Company that routinely denies EVERY claim made it against—initially.

Grisham is at the top of his game here; most of his novels are great first-reads (then give it a
Peter Meredith
John Grisham gives me hope that someday my writing will become noticed and that I will be able to make a living as a novelist. I say this because The Rainmaker made it to number one on the New York Times best seller list despite the fact that it is only an average book.
The writing was good enough to keep me turning the pages, but the story lacked and the characters were painfully stereotypical, except oddly enough for the main character. For a good guy, Rudy Baylor was unlikable, not in an anti
Mike (the Paladin)
Good book, less than satisfying ending...if I say more it will be a spoiler. I thought it better than some Grisham books. The struggles of a young lawyer as he faces the more sordid side of life here.

********************** Spoiler Below **************************

This is one of those books that left me sort of worn out with the struggles of life. It's not an escapist book as if you're having your own struggles going through the ones here will not exactly give relief. The people here including our
Vishakha Motwani
Apr 06, 2015 Vishakha Motwani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I would like to rate it a little more than 3 stars but not 4 because of the terribly slow beginning, I was about to leave the book in middle just the moment things became interesting and until almost the end I kept turning pages wanting to finish it.
This is my second Grisham novel (first being The Broker) so I was expecting that the other plot lines described in the beginning will eventually be useful or plot twisters somewhere but none of that happened so was disappointed a bit. But the trial
Michael
Oct 03, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Like a snake creeping through the undergrowth, I sneak into the law school well past noon and hours after both of my scheduled classes have broken up.” I like this quote for a couple of reasons; one is because it’s so well described and descriptive. John Grisham left me wondering what was about to happen every time I was about to turn the page. I couldn’t really predict the book there were constant twists and turns throughout the book, as was curiosity and excitement. I didn’t have a least favo ...more
Karen
Nov 21, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was obsessed with John Grisham novels when I was a preteen. I got sucked into these novels and dreamed of becoming a hotshot trial lawyer myself. I eventually found my way into social work, but I am still a sucker for a good legal thriller. This book is technically a re-read for me and it was everything I expected: a well-paced and satisfying read, albeit heavy on coincidences and lucky breaks for our hero. And who would have guessed that Grisham's critique of giant health insurance corporatio ...more
Corey
Feb 06, 2014 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book I gotta put up there with one of Grisham's best! The Rainmaker tells us about the lies and corruption behind an Insurance Company, and it goes to show me that some companies are really like that, insensitive and cruel, makes me not want to trust any of them. But anyways, awhile back I saw the movie with Matt Damon, because I'm a big fan of him, I only saw it once and I don't remember it that well, and I was a little young to understand the legal stuff.

But now I've read the book and
Chelsea Colleen
May 04, 2007 Chelsea Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone with a dream
im just a highskooler, so i couldnt really understand what the book was saying, but i got a general idea. this book is about a young man named rudy that is a struggling lawyer, but his life turns 360 degrees after he wins this case or something. its about a quiet adventure to the road of success. whoever reads this should feel touched at his will and drive. the fact that he neva gave up at the hardest times, and his determination to make it. i could go on and on, but i guess i got the general id ...more
Jaret
Jan 31, 2016 Jaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was way better than the movie. Most of the changes that were made for the movie were better in the original. That's what happens when you have to edit for time. I loved watching Leo Drummond go down in flames in the book way more than in the movie. For such a long book (14 discs), the action kept moving along and truly kept my interest. Thanks for the recommendation, Andrew!
Suzanne
May 10, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What almost 40 year old hasn't read a John Grisham novel? Me! I really liked this book. I enjoyed the legal content and thought it was very well written, evident that Mr Grisham had a lifetime of experience doing this before writing about it. I'm very glad I read it, and now am looking forward to some more of his. This might be 4.5 for me I'd say, but loved it!
Jerry
Mar 09, 2017 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book shouldn't be as enjoyable as it is. It is pure revenge/rescue fantasy with barely any actual story. Bad things happen for a reason: to make Rudy Baylor’s life better. Early on, so this isn’t much of a spoiler, you get the sense that Rudy Baylor is very privileged, despite his upbringing: no matter what happens, he will always come out on top. There isn’t even the traditional second-act setback. There are hints of potential setbacks, potential tricks the defense could be playing on Bayl ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
کتاب را نخستین بار «هادی عادلپور» به فارسی ترجمه کرده که «نشر کوشش» آن را در ۶۷۸ صفحه منتشر کرد. چاپ دیگری از همین کتاب، با نام «معجزه سرنوشت» به صورت خلاصه شده و در قالب کتاب جیبی ۱۵۷ صفحه، منتشر شده است. «جان گریشام» رمان «باران ساز» را در سال ۱۹۹۵ میلادی نشر داد، داستان یک وکیل دعاوی است به نام «ردوی بایلور»، که تلاش میکند در حرفهاش پیشرفت کند و نیز در پی کمک به کسانی است که خود نمیتوانند از حقشان دفاع کنند. او تلاش میکند حق پسر بیماری را که نتوانسته حق بیمه درمانیاش را بگیرد، و در نهایت نیز، ...more
Yousra
أخيرا أنهيت موعدي مع جون جريشام

إنها المرة الأولى التي أقرأ له فيها وإن كنت شاهدت له فيلمين هما
The Firm
&
The Pelican Brief
والأخير من أفلامي المفضلة لأنه من بطولة نجمتي المفضلة

أعجبتني الرواية كثيرا ... في البداية كنت أفكر أنها مملة وكنت اتابع القراءة فقط إكراما لأحمد خالد تفيق ثم جاءت لحظة كانت هي بداية الإثارة وهي بداية التقاضي في قضية دوني راي وهي اللحظات التي جذبتني للرواية ولم اتركها إلا بسبب اختفاء نسختي الورقية بفعل أحد أبنائي لبعض الوقت

الرواية مكتوبة كأنها فيلم

والمضحك أنني من عنوان
Jyotika Varmani
Aug 19, 2015 Jyotika Varmani rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer S. Alderson
This is probably my favorite John Grisham books, though I do love most of his lawyer novels. The main character Rudy Baylor is a brilliant creation, intelligent yet so naïeve. I enjoyed the side characters (especially Miss Birdie and Bruiser) and stories tremendously; they add a level of depth missing in many courtroom-based fiction novels. Highly recommend this one, especially to those who haven't yet read much John Grisham. And yes, the book is much better than the movie (even though it was al ...more
Sealove
Jun 09, 2013 Sealove rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Grisham at his finest, and that is saying something!

The characters are rich and the weaving of the plot keeps you in it till the end. The audio version of the story is also a treat as the narrator brings something extra to the story.

Even though the film was handled masterfully by the actors and director, it can't do justice to the full text of The Rainmaker.

Thank you John! A real pleasure reading and listening to your work!
Eugenie
Feb 22, 2016 Eugenie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this novel. Loved the story-line - I could identify with all the legal jargon and procedures from my years of studying the law which really brought the story to life for me.

This was going to be 5 stars up to the last 30 pages - I hated the bitter/bitter/sweet ending so 4 stars it is.

Gary
Feb 17, 2014 Gary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the easy way John Grisham writes but this book drifted for me. There were times when I couldn't put the book down and I thought it was going to be one of the classic John Grisham novels but there were other times when the plots lost their way. So close to giving this book a 4 star rating but the finish appeared rushed and spoilt the book.
Jill Edmondson
Jan 22, 2013 Jill Edmondson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I'm a Grisham fan. A real page-turner. I have no idea what the magic is, but Grisham seems to have found the secret for writing books you just can't put down.
Tanya
Nov 30, 2016 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just out of Law School, this has been the most relatable book. Definitely recommended; so many added principles that left me knowing I'm part of the common few. #ThanksMel
Patrick
Mar 07, 2010 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book tells of a down-on-his-luck law student who stumbles on an interesting non-payment of insurance case while doing pro-bono work for a retirement home. The case involves a lower-middle class couple who bought health insurance for a low premium when suddenly their child gets acute leukemia. The insurance company subsequently refuses to pay because they claim the child had a pre-existing condition that was totally unrelated to leukemia.

I enjoyed this book tremendously not only because the
Sheela
Yeah, I can't do this. I wanted a quick, fun read, but I'm more than 100 pages in, and still reading the main character Rudy's incessant complaining about everything as law school draws to an end and he desperately searches for a job. And the sexism, oh god, the sexism (and racism! and homophobia!). Granted, these were law firms in the 1990s, which were very male, very white, and very heterosexual, at least outwardly (and to be fair, law firms still have a long way to go in achieving greater div ...more
ade_reads
Apr 13, 2017 ade_reads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
434 pages! But I never felt bored while reading it. Funny, intriguing and page turner. I liked his writing style, the concept and the characters. Everything seems so neat and well thought out. If you like thrillers and/or interrested in court room drama and lawyers, start ups then this one is for you.

Favorite quote : "Life is too short to despise people who simply can't help what they've done"
Amanda
May 26, 2017 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took a little bit to get into the book, more especially into the trial. But once the trial started, I was hooked. I really enjoyed the story, minus the last few chapters. They story would've been better without Kelly.
Rainmaker 7 120 Jun 05, 2014 10:34AM
ending (spoiler alert) 9 155 Jan 27, 2014 09:54AM
  • The Burden of Proof (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #2)
  • Silent Witness (Tony Lord #2)
  • Without Remorse (Jack Ryan Universe, #1)
  • Disclosure
  • Prime Witness (Paul Madriani, #2)
  • The Simple Truth
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • The Road To Omaha
  • Ruthless.com (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #2)
  • Games of State (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #3)
  • First Among Equals
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of
More about John Grisham...

“Don't compromise yourself - you're all you have.” 3039 likes