How to Blog a Book: Write, Publish, and Promote Your Work One Post at a Time

How to Blog a Book: Write, Publish, and Promote Your Work One Post at a Time

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  35 reviews
"How to Blog a Book" teaches you how to create a blog book with a well-honed and uniquely angled subject and targeted posts--and how to build the audience necessary to convince agents and publishers to make your blog into a book.

Inside you'll find:

Basic information on how to set up your blog and the essential plug-ins and other options necessary to get the most out of each...more
Published May 21st 2012 by Writer's Digest Books (first published April 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How to Blog a Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Blog a Book

Peter Krol
Amir's book was a helpful introduction for aspiring authors. The world of social media (and blogging) seems like a strange world to me, but Amir made it feel more like a friend. I recommend this book as a place to begin.

My main criticism, however, is that the book read much like, well, a blog. In other words, it didn't appear to have been given excessive TLC as far as editing, revising, or rewriting.

I understand that blogging is all about getting your ideas out there, however rough and misshape...more
Dara J.
For the past 6 weeks, I've kept my copy of Nina Amir's How To Blog A Book within reach of my desk. As an already self-published author, I am finding this book to be a handy guide as I learn how to translate the content and essence of my book into a blog format. How to Blog a Book is a well-written, entertaining and practical guide for beginning and more experienced advanced bloggers. For those of us who lack business and marketing experience, How to Blog A Book gives readers the 101 of Internet...more
Kathy
Are you a closet, wanna-be author looking for direction? Nina Amir has written the definitive, "how to" guide to "write, publish, and promote your work one post at a time," quote from book cover and the books' tag line. I wish I'd found this book a year ago. Amir "walks you through" what would otherwise be a daunting task for most of us. With 33 years in the publishing field, she's a seasoned pro and she authors four blogs.
Marcy Weydemuller
Hot off the Writers Digest presses, this unique approach to blogging details a new way to develop and process material that is productive and sustainable. Although only three weeks old, this book is moving directly to my classic corner shelf because it is a book I will be reading again and again. Basically—whenever I have a new book idea. Most of her examples are from non-fiction, but her principles carry over to fiction as well thus doubling the potential influence for fiction writers.

Not only...more
Masquerade Crew
MARK'S REVIEW

I finished reading this book quite a while ago, so I’ve given myself plenty of time to mull over it. The more I think about what I want to say in this review, the more I like the book. It has so much to offer for every writer out there, especially the non-fiction writer, so much so, in fact, that this review will hardly do it justice.

Because this book was a blog before it was a book, all of the chapters are broken up into easily read sections. This is true for many non-fiction book...more
Jessie Uchat
This book proposes ways to use blogging as a way build up body of content, to test the market for the content and to establish a market presence for the book.

Some people might be skeptical about blogging their books but this book also explains how to blog a book without blogging everything about the book.

This book helps bloggers, aspiring writers and even published writers to explore an alternative approach presenting (test marketing) content to specific target audience.

This books will help me...more
Matt
I bought a blog printed as a book to teach me how to write my book as a blog

I peruse the Writing section at bookstores with salt in-hand so that I have ready-access to grains with which to take the endless compendiums of writing exercises and approaches. I, till recently, had not found a method which suited me. To confess, Nina Amir's book How to Blog a Book: Write, Publish, and Promote Your Work One Post at a Time seemed so much snake oil by its title, nestled there among the get-writing-quick...more
Melissa
This was a good book with some great tips for writing a book as a blog. There were are few bits that I had to remind myself that I'm not in the US - such as copyright (in Australia we don't have to register). This is a book I would recommend people read if they want to set out to blog a book, as well as those who want to turn their current blog in to a book, although it is aimed more at people who are starting from scratch.
Sonia Marsh
Excellent step by step approach to blog your book. I have taken so many notes that I can share with my audiences when I speak to them about blogging.
Deborah Carney
This book very clearly lays out what, how and why you would want to blog a book. From making you accountable to an audience that wants you to keep writing, to establishing good writing habits, to actually writing a business plan about what you want the blog and book to accomplish. Easy to read, easy to understand and easy to implement, must read for bloggers and authors both.
Bryan Post
I am just finishing up this (about 10 more pages to go), which I bought to help me blog our already 2 published books - just to get ideas, and I love this book. I have already sent one person to buy it. I think it is much more than How to Blog a Book - more like an excellent blogging resource collection along with lots of great info, tips and what not to do in general. Great Job!
Jim Kukral
You have a blog, right? Guess what? You have a book, you just don't know it yet. Nina's book will show you step-by-step how to turn your already existing blog into a book that you can use to make money with, and for leads and publicity. This is the ultimate no-brainer. Buy this book now and turn your blog into your own book!
Erin (Bluestocking Bookworm)
I skimmed through most of this one when it became apparent that the author's focus was how to blog nonfiction books. If you are looking for information on how to blog (serialize) your fiction book, look elsewhere.

If you are looking for info on blogging nonfiction books, this is a pretty good little resource.
Sara Dean
I personally have a book that could be blogged, and a blog post series that I could eventually turn into a book. This book helps you get a sense of what all is involved in blogging a book first and then turning it into a published item. In it is a wealth of information including how to plan out your book from beginning to end, what kind of writing schedule to keep, and a good amount of information pertaining to utilizing social media.

The book is packed it will likely take you more than one readi...more
Nolan Ridley
I read this concurrently with Ms. Amir's other title, "The Author Training Manual". As with that work, I find her frenetic enthusiasm a little overbearing at times. However, even if you don't subscribe to the idea of literally "blogging a book", there is much of value in here to help orient the technically novice author.

As authors, our business is communication, and communication has grown legs, wriggled out of the primordial paper ocean and crawled up onto the digital continent. We, ourselves,...more
Rebecca Fyfe
How to Blog Your Book would be a great book for beginners. Most of the information in the book was information I already knew, but reading the book helped inspire and motivate me to get working on the blog-to-book project I have been planning, so it was worth reading.
Mary S. Sentoza
I stumbled upon this book by accident and I am glad I did. It is a great book, and very well organized. I found the information quite informative, and it opened my eyes what blogging is really about. Even if you were interested just in blogging, it provides information how to go about it and to get more exposure. I hope the suggestions will help with my blog. The author provided lots of information about what is blogging, list of helpful resources, and how to go about to blog a book. After readi...more
Douglas Wilson
This book was a wealth of practical information. Good stuff.
Pam
courtesy howtoblogabook.com
courtesy howtoblogabook.com

If you're like me, you've read many, many books and have always wondered how books get published. Maybe you've even read books and thought you could write better than the author of the book you were reading. Or, maybe you're like me and like to read and share your love of books through blogging.

Whichever camp you fall into, Nina Amir's How to Blog a Book should be on your TBR pile.

Consider these topics:

Blogging Basics
Finding readers
why yo...more
Sandy Appleyard
Don’t let the name of the book limit your imagination as to what’s in between the pages. This is not only a step by step guide to teach you how to blog a book, but it also gives valuable information pertaining to website creation, building your platform through social media, creating a book proposal…the list goes on and on.

I purchased this book last year after having a few coaching sessions with the book’s author Nina Amir; shame on me for allowing the book to collect dust for this long. If I’d...more
Ris
This was an excellent book for beginning bloggers. It introduces the reader to blogging platforms, common features and how to use them effectively, and other elementary details that are important to figure out early on if you want to run a blog (or any website) effectively. Although I was familiar with a lot of the content (as I've been using platforms such as Tumblr, Livejournal, and Wordpress for several years now), I was not as familiar with it in the context of promoting my writing. It sugge...more
Amelia
This book seems very thorough, and a good practical guide to blogging as a way to draft a book and to setting up a blog in general. For me, it makes the process of writing a book sound relatively straightforward, while the publicity end of it seems more daunting. The author's first choice seems to be getting a contract with a publisher, rather than self-publishing. She presents both options, but those who are thinking in terms of self-publishing (and why wouldn't you, if you have a good platform...more
Pamela Taeuffer
A great step by step book on how to blog and get the word out for your book. I am doing it Nina, I am doing it. One tip she has, non-fiction about 1000 words, preferably each day, but least 3 times' week, and fiction 500-750 words. Highly recommend
David Brzezinski
This book had me a little torn as to whether to give it three stars or four. The book is very well written, and provides a lot of information for people who are thinking about trying to blog a book. But, it felt like a lot of the information was more for a non-fiction type book rather than the fictional narratives that I usually write. In the end, I was left wondering if much of the information the author provided could be used in blogging a more conventional writing project on the web.
Beverly
I read this to prepare for teaching a blogging workshop and a career prep class for writers at my university. Amir provides some solid practical information, but I disagree with many of her principles. I enjoyed the interviews at the end, and I found it amusing that most of the people interviewed began their blogs with no intention of turning them into books.
Kate Arms-Roberts
Nothing earth-shattering in this, but she does layout the general process for anyone who wants to start a blog with the goal of turning the posts into a book someday, including some thinking about marketing. It is light on details of implementation, which is what you should expect from a short book, but a nice overview.
Jewel
great resource
Woody
Good advice for bloggers, writers, publishers and anyone who wants people to read their work. The subtitle sums it up well: "write, publish, and promote your work one post at a time."
Rick Yvanovich

All you would ever need to know about blogging a book in one place.
The information about social media and how to market you blog/book I found particularly helpful
Melanie
Really quite good... I was surprised at how many of the authors she talked with and about. Great information, easy reading style...good book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Have you blogged a book? 2 4 Aug 07, 2014 07:22PM
Nina Amir, bestselling author of How to Blog a Book and The Author Training Manual, transforms writers into inspired, successful authors, authorpreneurs and blogpreneurs. Known as the Inspiration to Creation Coach, she moves her clients from ideas to finished books as well as to careers as authors by helping them combine their passion and purpose so they create products that positively and meaning...more
More about Nina Amir...
The Author Training Manual: Develop Marketable Ideas, Craft Books That Sell, Become the Author Publishers Want, and Self-Publish Effectively The Nonfiction Book Proposal Demystified: An Easy-Schmeasy Guide to Writing a Business Plan for Your Book Get Ready, Aim, Shoot: Hit Your Bull's Eye This Year: A Spiritual Guide to Using the Secular or Jewish New Year to Reset Your Personal, Professional and Spiritual Targets The Summer Dance Intensive Handbook: How to Choose the Best Program for Your Child and Help Your Dancer Get the Most Out of the Experience 10 Days and 10 Ways to Return to Your Best Self