Start by marking “The Lawmen” as Want to Read:
The Lawmen
Read Book

The Lawmen

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The average life expectancy for a marshal in Topaz, Arizona, is three weeks. Down-on-his-luck Clay Chandler takes the marshal’s job out of desperation. Clay has barely settled into the job when Vance Hopkins drunkenly guns down a black man. Clay arrests Vance for murder, but Wes Hopkins and his gang run Topaz, and they demand that Vance be released -- or else. Clay has giv ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 172 pages
Published November 1st 1993 by Fawcett

To ask other readers questions about The Lawmen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lawmen

Mr. Matt
In a dusty Arizona silver boom-town, there is no law. The last Marshall only lasted a few weeks, and the one before him even less. Men are gun downed in drunken shootouts in saloons. Whores are cut up for holding out on their pimps. When a former Confederate soldier down on his luck applies for the job of Marshall, it seems too good to be true to the town fathers. If he succeeds, then they have cleaned up their town. And if he gets killed, well, then they'll just be one more body on boot hill.

This was a very entertaining read. Clay Chandler is a down on his luck Reb when he applies for the job of Marshall in Topaz.
The town is owned and run by the vicious Hopkins gang who have many of the town's citizens in their corrupt pockets.
When the inevitable showdown comes Clay has to rely on the services of a freed slave Essex to stand beside him as he struggles to uphold the law.

This book reminded me of the older style westerns, with the themes of good versus evil and comradehip. Clay and Ess
Kathyrn E. Douglas
Having read a lot of western I have to rate this book as good.

A western with a different twist, something new in most western.books is all ways a good thing.It was
a good read.
Mark Taylor
A great western that pits two wisecracking lawmen (in the vein of Cole & Hitch, although this story predates Mr. Parker's masterpieces by more than a decade) against an evil gang that has taken over a town. It's a very exciting read, and the plot flows smoothly. The tension between the protagonists, with its undercurrent of grudging respect, puts a new twist on an archetypal plot and makes me wonder if ever a sequel was written. I'll have to investigate.
This was such an unusual story that I had to give it 3 stars because of the effort the author had to put into it. At some point I just got lost, but then it would turn around and make a really good point. I think some parts were just too long for me. I did like the ending. Its a better ending than a lot of stories have. I wish this author good luck.
Randy Grossman
Randy Grossman marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Katherin Hunter
Katherin Hunter is currently reading it
Oct 28, 2015
Celise marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Carmen added it
Oct 26, 2015
Sheila marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Henry Finn
Henry Finn marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Kathy Heare Watts
Kathy Heare Watts marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Pearlie marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Larry Goodwin
Larry Goodwin marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Jean added it
Dec 19, 2014
Howard Schrager
Howard Schrager marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014