Start by marking “Holding Their Own: A Story of Survival (Holding Their Own, #1)” as Want to Read:
Holding Their Own: A Story of Survival (Holding Their Own, #1)

Holding Their Own: A Story of Survival (Holding Their Own #1)

This first book of the Holding Their Own series, A Story of Survival, is set in the year 2015, when the world is burdened by the second Great Depression. The United States, already weakened by internal strife, becomes the target of an international terror plot. A series of attacks results in thousands of casualties and disables the country's core infrastructure. The ...more
Published November 18th 2011 by PrepperPress.com (first published November 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Holding Their Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holding Their Own

Ben Z.
Feb 03, 2012 Ben Z. rated it liked it
If you enjoyed Lights Out, The Jakarta Pandemic, or any of the "works" of James Rawles you will probably find this book interesting. This book isn't going to win any literary prizes. The characters are all cardboard cutouts (only good guys and bad guys) and the dialogue is laughable. I also found initial plot setup difficult to understand or believe. Too much "Clancy" for my tastes.

Despite its flaws, the author keeps the plot moving along and the reader interested, and in the end offers a quick
Erin
Dec 12, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
Yes. I’m obsessed with SHTF books. This one is ok. I liked the set up for the ‘collapse’ seemed very plausible. Liked some of the ‘prepper’ talk and stuff, but that is about it. It reminded me too much of a Jack Reacher type book. It was a fast paced, good read…don’t get me wrong. I just like the more survival/learning to live off the land in these type books. I’m having my husband read this; I think he will really like it.
Ron Shoemaker
Apr 30, 2013 Ron Shoemaker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, survival
This is a survival book that is actually fun to read. I gave it a five because of that and because it is particularly related to what we are likely to face shortly in the United States. Everyone can learn something useful from this book. Read it.
chucklesthescot
I had been looking forward to reading this series based on reviews that I had read about it but sadly it turned out to be 'not my thing'. This was down to the MC and the way the plot was developed.

The MC was the macho, brilliant and sex obsessed alpha male that I really don't enjoy reading about and I took an instant dislike to him. So having the story broken up with his moments of glory in the Gulf was offputting and I don't feel it added anything to the story. I wanted to read what was happeni
Cindy
Jun 05, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I love all apocalyptic reads. A long series with likable characters is even better. The first book in this series about the economic break down of the American society and effects on the surrounding countries was a nonstop page turner for me. What makes it scary is that it seems like something that could actually go down. The story, for the most part, follows Bishop and his wife Terri just trying to make it out of Houston and through rural Texas to what they believe is a safe place. Meanwhile ...more
Steven Sheeley
Feb 09, 2015 Steven Sheeley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I've been disappointed recently with the plethora of self-published PA books on Amazon and elsewhere. While I fully support self-publishing, I feel that does not remove the requirements for a good story and good editing.

In the case of this book, I was not disappointed.

The characters are very believable, the plot is easy to follow and well thought out and the story is a joy to read. I became engaged with the main characters very quickly and enjoyed watching them grow and expand.

over all, this boo
Tara Zormier
May 11, 2015 Tara Zormier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the bomb!

This is one of the best post apocalyptic series I have ever read! I love the lead in to the story and all of the details.
Chris
Sep 27, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing
Some may have issues with the misspelled words and grammatical errors, but its an over all good story. Another in a new wave of self published authors who are good storytellers.
Liz
May 24, 2014 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

It a great survival book. The scenario of the fall of the United States is so real, given the state of our nation today. It's a page turner!
Jim
Apr 05, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
Good book and am hoping rest of books in series are as good.
Ruth Murphy-Brown
May 01, 2014 Ruth Murphy-Brown rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and have purchased the series as they came out.
Joyce
Nov 26, 2012 Joyce rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book. Nice story of post-apocalypse with a social study thrown in. Highly recommend.
Robin Williams
Mar 05, 2014 Robin Williams rated it really liked it
Good survival book. Fast moving. Happens in 2015. Makes one think. On to book 2!
John
Sep 24, 2012 John rated it liked it
Shelves: 1fiction, box8
Good TEOTWAWKI book - gonna start part 2 next. Fun read.
Jason
Sep 20, 2016 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: end-of-world
Good STFU book, there are several instances where bad physics were used however an enjoyable book.
Lucas Darathy
Apr 27, 2015 Lucas Darathy rated it liked it
Almost a four. Why not? Let's see:

The multiple POVs. While they do make the book very rich in details, it also drags the story. A lot. Sometimes, it's interesting. Sometimes, it's... not.

The flashbacks. A few are okay. But I'd say that the author overdid it.

He also overdid it with the "humour". Bishop is funny. I get it. Haha. Can we move on? Because, let's face it, the only person who thinks he's funny is Bishop himself.

Other than that, I actually did enjoy this book a lot. Including Bishop, ev
Steve
God story that is a fun read. Curious complainers are some other reviewers comments about predictability -question whether they understand the genre is stories who follow the successful, and buries the unsuccessful as the story tells out? I am sure there is some loser's fiction out there where they can follow the unsuccessful.. Or perhaps not.

Fun story with some solid thought provoking moments. A good interplay as to how fragile the trust we share is when we fail to discern the difference betwe
Nikki
Aug 16, 2013 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: survial
This was good. The main character was super lucky. Even with getting shot. I'm ok with that, heros are always lucky. I'm sure someone more experienced than I would have found more issures than I did. My only issue was that two totally diffrent people had painted buildings to look destroyed in the first month of the shtf. It just seemed unlikely that a motorcycle gang and a former marine both had these rare skills. Other than that, which probably didn't bother most readers, I enjoyed reading ...more
Marcia Blum
Mar 10, 2016 Marcia Blum rated it liked it
I liked the book, but it isn't a literary classic. I am fascinated by the theme of social apocalypse and wonder if I would ever be able to survive in such a situation. I selected the book hoping to learn a few survival tips and obtain some insight into the nature of other survivors.
The author has good tactical skills and tries to weave some of them into the story. I, who has never even gone camping, am constantly impressed by those trained for combat and survival. I have discovered that I may
Birdie
Feb 13, 2015 Birdie rated it really liked it
Follow Bishop & his wife Terri leaving their suburban home south of Houston to their ranch (a camper, a few boulders settled in a desertic canyon in west Texas)after the collapse of US during the Second Great Depression...

There are some parts I skipped (the author rambling about economic features, his thoughts about the why and how etc..) but I enjoyed Bishop & Terry stressful journey, their encounters with bad and good guys, a great panel of second, third & fourth characters. It see
Clifford
Jul 09, 2012 Clifford rated it really liked it
Since this is written in what would be an apparent time of societal collapse due to an economic crisis that we seem to be very close to; it is a very interesting book to read. There are a few points that are a bit hard to actually believe could happen and yet, it appears to be happening before our very eyes almost daily. This is not a standard "how to bug out" book but a diversion into what the potential could be, written from a fictional perspective. It did give me a few ideas about things that ...more
Bronwyn
Nov 13, 2012 Bronwyn rated it really liked it
Interesting read, fast moving story. Hope this sort of situation never happens in our lifetime, but as world affairs keep unfolding you know it could. Generally speaking not many of us have the skills of the main character Bishop, and if TEOTWAWKI happens, I think I would rather die sooner than later and be left with the horrible people that would take over, man can be an evil beast. All that said I am keen to read the other 2 books in the series
Tbone
Jan 05, 2016 Tbone rated it really liked it
This book was an excellent read. A fictional account of how one married couple survives in America when a foreign attack is realized that shuts down all electronics and power in the US. Society slowly starts breaking down and there is everything from bartering to shootouts in this book. Very good book as well on how things "could happen" definitely not super far fetched or way fictional. Seems very realistic. Now on to book #2
Kthardin
Nov 04, 2012 Kthardin rated it really liked it
Fairly decent fictionalized portrayal of what could become very real events that are mixed in with useful survival advice. The only real problem is that the main character is someone most of us aren't and can never hope to be, but then, he was made to be this to demonstrate very real survival tactics in a variety of situations that one might encounter when the SHTF.
James Woods
Mar 30, 2012 James Woods rated it really liked it
I bought one of those Amazon bundles deals and received this with another book. I liked it. The author's a little stiff in his writing and I found a couple of typos. I think its a very good story that could have been a little better written.

If you like a reasonable PAF story, this one is worth reading. Lots of good action.
Neal
Aug 03, 2014 Neal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting adventure during social collapse

Exciting adventure during social collapse

a man and his wife must escape Houston during social collapse instigated by state terrorism.
what's nice is that not everyone becomes barbaric, although it does raise a strong concern about human nature during bad times.
Zachary King
May 12, 2016 Zachary King rated it really liked it
I like the book at first, but then it wore on me. No matter what happen, they had a answer, everything they need was right in reach. I don't want to give anything away from other reading the book. Things I did like was that it was a almost plausible events, almost. Over all a quick read, and entertaining.
Pam Shelton-anderson
This was really a 1.5 star. I didn't like the constant switch between present day and years before and it served to dilute any build up of suspense. The dialogue was weak and the main character's sense of humor juvenile. The banter between hi and his wife was sophomoric. The parts of the book about the events of the attack were much better and worth upping a half star.
Chris
Feb 09, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
It was ok, it moved pretty well, unusual side-bars all through the story. As a fan of the genre I thought it had good potential and would really benefit the eye of a good editor. Is there a niche called "indie fiction"?
Rodney G. Roberts
I am reading this series for the second time. I enjoyed the books the first time and I am

thrilled at starting it over. I don't like writing these ratings they want too many words. Four more words to go
  • The Preparation (299 Days, #1)
  • Apocalypse Law (Volume 1)
  • Survivors (The Coming Collapse)
  • Enemies Foreign And Domestic (The Enemies Trilogy, #1)
  • Going Home (Going Home, #1)
  • Anarchy Rising (The Survivalist #2)
  • Half Past Midnight
  • The Borrowed World (The Borrowed World #1)
Joe Nobody (pen name for the author who wishes to keep his identity confidential) has provided systems, consulting and training for the U.S. Army, Department of Homeland Security, Office of Naval Research, United States Border Patrol as well as several private firms and government agencies which cannot be disclosed.
He is currently active in this area and for the security of his family and ongoing
More about Joe Nobody...

Holding Their Own (10 books)
  • Holding Their Own II: The Independents (Holding Their Own, #2)
  • Holding Their Own III: Pedestals of Ash (Holding Their Own, #3)
  • Holding Their Own IV: The Ascent (Holding Their Own, #4)
  • Holding Their Own V: The Alpha Chronicles (Holding Their Own #5)
  • Holding Their Own VI: Bishop's Song
  • Holding Their Own VII: Phoenix Star
  • The Directives (Holding Their Own #8)
  • Holding Their Own: The Salt War
  • Holding Their Own X: The Toymaker

“Members of this body, with the full authority of my government, I hereby declare the withdrawal of the United States of America from this organization. My nation will no longer be a member of the United Nations. Furthermore, please consider this official notice that all non-American citizens have 10 days to leave our country. This very building will be occupied by the New York City Police Department after that time, and anyone remaining will be arrested and deported. My nation has had enough of the parasitic governments represented by this body. In addition, I would like to take this opportunity to announce our withdrawal from NATO. All American military units will be recalled immediately. Our naval carrier battle groups and all associated support operations are being ordered home as well. All air wings of the United States Air Force are being recalled from foreign lands. God help all of you – you are on your own.” 1 likes