Start by marking “John Pig's Halloween” as Want to Read:
John Pig's Halloween

John Pig's Halloween

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  69 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. Too scared to go trick-or-treating, John Pig stays home on Halloween and has an unplanned party with some unexpected, monstrous guests.
Published August 6th 2001 by Turtleback Books (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about John Pig's Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Pig's Halloween

Ruth
Aug 20, 2008 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of children's books and picture books
The art in this book looks like it might have originally been done in oils, because the colors are rich. Whichever art medium was used, the result is warm and charming. The story is done in poetic rhyme, and is the sweet tale of a little pig who is too timid to dress up and go out with his pig friends for Halloween, so he stays home...and gets an adventure of his own when a witch and her cat stop by and help him make a kitchenful of delectable Halloween treats. For a Halloween-lover like myself, ...more
Marcia
Oct 31, 2015 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfect Halloween read-aloud for kindergarten. Jon Pig doesn't want to go trick-or-treating, so decides to stay home alone. That can be scary, but he is soon visited by a with and they cook up a great old time. Told in fun rhyming verse, with terrific illustrations by David McPhail, it's a yearly treat.
Terry Smith
Oct 29, 2014 Terry Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful pictures and cute story. Should be a yearly read for elementary children.
Connie
Nov 02, 2014 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We love this book! It's our tradition to read it every Halloween
Deb Wojo
Nov 06, 2014 Deb Wojo added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: children-s
Best Halloween book EVER!!
Dolly
Sep 26, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining story about a pig who is too afraid to go out trick-or-treating on Halloween. He ends up meeting a witch and with her help, creating a banquet full of delicious Fall-themed food. They then throw a big, monstrous party.

The lyrical, rhyming narrative is fun to read aloud and the colorful illustrations are terrific. John is an adorable pig and the monsters aren't too scary. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Bonnie
Oct 14, 2012 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Joyce
One of our family's very favorite Halloween illustrated books. This is about a pig who is scared to go out trick-or-treating with his friends, so stays home. But the a witch and some other Halloween creatures stop by and John Pig hosts a party for them and has so much fun he forgets to be scared. The rhyming and story are wonderful.
Krista
Oct 23, 2013 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite children's books--and very favorite Halloween book. It feels a little wordy at first, but I began to love the rich, descriptive language of this book after a few reads. The illustrations are also rich and incredibly detailed.
Lisa
Oct 02, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic, origional story for Halloween. We've been reading it over and over since we took it out of the lib. My kids love it, and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. Clever rhymes that flow really nicely and really beautiful illustrations.
Rainey
Waldron's interesting story of how a house full of pigs get ready for Halloween paired with McPhail's always excellent pictures definitely takes attention away from some faulty rhymes. I loved this book.
Benjamin
Oct 18, 2008 Benjamin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Benjamin loved this book--the cadence is very clever, and the story is a sweet one. The author also introduces lots of new vocabulary (for 4 year olds), and he enjoyed learning new concepts.
Shelli
John Pig is too frightened to go out trick or treating with his friends. He is sure staying home is the best way to keep the creepy's at bay.... or is it???
Brenda
Jan 15, 2010 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, favorites
this is my favorite Halloween book to read to children aged 2+. The pictures are also wonderful!
C
Sep 06, 2008 C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great children's book. Great story, great rhyme, amazingly great illustrations.
Heather
Jul 25, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
38 months - This was a fun one, with good rhythm and rhyme.
Barb
Barb added it
Apr 10, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Lori Reed
Lori Reed marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Susan Baker
Susan Baker rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Lara
Lara added it
Jan 25, 2016
Kimberly Ann
Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Jayci Reeder
Jayci Reeder rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Dana
Dana rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2015
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Ckolleen
Ckolleen marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2015
Elena
Elena rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2015