Start by marking “John Pig's Halloween” as Want to Read:
John Pig's Halloween

John Pig's Halloween

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  14 reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. Too scared to go trick-or-treating, John Pig stays home on Halloween and has an unplanned party with some unexpected, monstrous guests.
Published August 6th 2001 by Turtleback Books (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about John Pig's Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Pig's Halloween

Aug 20, 2008 Ruth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of children's books and picture books
The art in this book looks like it might have originally been done in oils, because the colors are rich. Whichever art medium was used, the result is warm and charming. The story is done in poetic rhyme, and is the sweet tale of a little pig who is too timid to dress up and go out with his pig friends for Halloween, so he stays home...and gets an adventure of his own when a witch and her cat stop by and help him make a kitchenful of delectable Halloween treats. For a Halloween-lover like myself, ...more
Terry Smith
Wonderful pictures and cute story. Should be a yearly read for elementary children.
We love this book! It's our tradition to read it every Halloween
Deb Wojo
Nov 06, 2014 Deb Wojo added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: children-s
Best Halloween book EVER!!
Sep 26, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining story about a pig who is too afraid to go out trick-or-treating on Halloween. He ends up meeting a witch and with her help, creating a banquet full of delicious Fall-themed food. They then throw a big, monstrous party.

The lyrical, rhyming narrative is fun to read aloud and the colorful illustrations are terrific. John is an adorable pig and the monsters aren't too scary. We enjoyed reading this book together.
One of our family's very favorite Halloween illustrated books. This is about a pig who is scared to go out trick-or-treating with his friends, so stays home. But the a witch and some other Halloween creatures stop by and John Pig hosts a party for them and has so much fun he forgets to be scared. The rhyming and story are wonderful.
This is one of my favorite children's books--and very favorite Halloween book. It feels a little wordy at first, but I began to love the rich, descriptive language of this book after a few reads. The illustrations are also rich and incredibly detailed.
A fantastic, origional story for Halloween. We've been reading it over and over since we took it out of the lib. My kids love it, and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. Clever rhymes that flow really nicely and really beautiful illustrations.
Waldron's interesting story of how a house full of pigs get ready for Halloween paired with McPhail's always excellent pictures definitely takes attention away from some faulty rhymes. I loved this book.
Benjamin loved this book--the cadence is very clever, and the story is a sweet one. The author also introduces lots of new vocabulary (for 4 year olds), and he enjoyed learning new concepts.
John Pig is too frightened to go out trick or treating with his friends. He is sure staying home is the best way to keep the creepy's at bay.... or is it???
this is my favorite Halloween book to read to children aged 2+. The pictures are also wonderful!
Great children's book. Great story, great rhyme, amazingly great illustrations.
38 months - This was a fun one, with good rhythm and rhyme.
Laura added it
Mar 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Angel Pig and the Hidden Christmas Giving Away Simone In the Country of Men: My Travels Angel Pig & the Hidden Christmas