Start by marking “Easy Pickings (Walker Papers, #7.6; Jane Yellowrock, #3.1)” as Want to Read:
Easy Pickings (Walker Papers, #7.6; Jane Yellowrock, #3.1)

Easy Pickings (Walker Papers #7.6)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,455 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Two heroines. Two magics. One world.

There’s nowhere in America like the Big Easy. Just ask Jane Yellowrock, shapeshifting vampire killer, whose hunting grounds run the length and breadth of the Bayou.

Just ask Joanne Walker, whose shamanic magic has drawn her to the heart of American Weird.

But it’s not Joanne’s world, and it isn’t Jane’s either. In a New Orleans where Katri
Published January 5th 2012

Marianne
Easy Pickings is a crossover / fanfic written by the authors themselves. In the novella, skinwalker Jane Yellowrock and shaman Joanne Walker find themselves in an alternate universe that resembles Jane's New Orleans, but isn't quite the city she's grown to love. Together, the two ladies will have to figure out why they were drawn into an alternate reality and overcome the biggest, baddest vamp in town - and this time it's NOT Leo Pellissier... :-(

As a fan of Jane Yellowrock, but not of Joanne W
Ian
C.E. Murphy and Faith Hunter have brought their two most popular characters together in what is described in the synopsis as fan-fiction. As fan-fiction it almost works. It actually makes me want to read C.E. Murphy's Walker Papers series which until this novella I had never even considered.

description

But in the end it feels like one of those cross-over episodes of popular sitcoms. The world of Jane Yellowrock doesn't quite fit with the world of Joanne Walker. Time is spent explaining away the incongruiti
Jen
I really enjoyed this book, despite the fact that I don't think I've ever read any of the Walker Papers series books with Joanne Walker. But she lives in Seattle?! I don't know how I missed reading any of her books. I'm going to have to check them out soon. :-)

It was rather strange to read this story, since it was told in alternating first-person points-of-view from first Joanne Walker, and then Jane Yellowrock, and then alternating back and forth through to the end (which was again Jo's POV). B
Beth
Dec 21, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: brain-candy
Oh this was fun! I loved the humor and snark. Jane and Joanne work well together and I was entranced with Lazarus although the hints to his identity were fairly obvious if you know about N'awlins. Better than boudain balls and crayfish, I tell you! I would REALLY appreciate either Murphy or Hunter following up on his adventures and his New Orleans. I think it would be a lovely read!
Meg Moore
Mar 11, 2014 Meg Moore rated it it was amazing
This would be a great story even if I'd never read either series, but to have two of my favorite authors, who each enjoy the other's work, combine their two characters in one story - so cool! Knowing both series, it was fun to see how Joanne and Jane are similar, and where they are different. I would love to more in this crossover world!
She-Wolf Reads
May 14, 2012 She-Wolf Reads rated it really liked it
This was fun. Pure, action-filled fun. If you are a fan of Jane Yellowrock or Joanne Walker then this is a must read – a fun novella to tide you over until the release of the next book in the Yellowrock and Walker series.

Weighing in at 81 pages, this is a quick read. It opens with Jane and Joanne suddenly finding themselves in an alternate reality – a New Orleans that exists in another world. They immediately recognize the magic each of them have and team up to figure out where they are and how
Dianne
Feb 18, 2012 Dianne rated it really liked it
Two different women. Totally different women, both with the ability to shape shift, meet in New Orleans. A vastly different New Orleans than we know. One where Hurricane Katrina hasn't hit and businesses that were there yesterday are gone today. One in which the cities top Vamp is now alive instead of permanently dead at the hand of Jane Yellowrock. But it is not Joannes world either. Through a portal they walked the two of them and out of the portal came three and as three they must face an evi ...more
Douglas Meeks
Jan 07, 2012 Douglas Meeks rated it it was amazing
I finished Easy Pickings which is a crossover novel of Jane Yellowrock series and Joann Walker series (which I have never read but will add to my list) and it was GREAT, you don't have to be a fan of both series to enjoy it, but seems that you might find it a small bit more enjoyable if you were but I loved it. The basic premise is that they are both pulled into an alternate universe where New Orleans is NOT the one either of them know and they have to save it (no you don't get the details from ...more
Paige Ellen Stone
Jul 21, 2015 Paige Ellen Stone rated it it was amazing
Somehow, when I read this, I forgot to review it. I don't know how I did that because this novella was like a dream come true, the coming together of two of my favorite kick-ass heroines in the same story. Of course the authors take advantage of the magic of writing in the paranormal and this story is set in a New Orleans with which neither is familiar (a real challenge for Jane, since she lives there). They must solve the how and why of their being there together before they are destroyed by th ...more
Aria von Dimple
Because I have read 4 Jane Yellowrock novels and 0 Walker Papers novels my experience with "Easy Pickings" was a bit one-sided. I understood Jane because I had been reading about her but Joanne was a mystery that I just couldn't solve. And the are from 2 COMPLETELY different universes! So for me, the cross-over was a big hot mess of "What, how and why is happening?"

But what I absolutely LOVED was the concept of a novella like "Easy Pickings". Writing for the fans and doing something fun is just
Mara
Feb 01, 2012 Mara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Murphy/Hunter fans
An alternate reality in an alternate reality novel :) A nice game of mirrors both in worldbuilding and heroines.

If you love Yellorock or Walker, you'll probably love this romp of a story in which 2 UF lead women are (literally) suck to save New Orleans.

The authors meant the novella as a thank you to fans and I believe that fans are going to appreciate it more. I have read only one Murphy's Walker novels. So I liked this Joanna but as a counterpoint to Jane/Beast. I guess Ms Murphy's fans will
Erin
Feb 04, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!

I love these two series and having a cross over novella is this fan girl's dream. It's always fun to hear that two talented, wonderful authors are fans of each others and when they come together and write "fan fic", it's a dream come true.

I think that this would be a great start for anyone interested in trying the two series. It reveals just enough to interest and introduce a new reader. For current readers, this is a bonus :)

I don't want to say too much b/c the story w
Vannessa
Although I haven't read any of the Walker Papers series, I have a few of these books on my kindle that I will definitely be reading now I have read this crossover novella. Jane Yellowrock and Joanne Walker are both transported to a very different version of New Orleans to the ones they are both used. Something is not quite right and they have to work out what is wrong and solve the problem. Along with a guy called Lazarus, who wields a great amount of power, the three have a bit of a fight on th ...more
Heather Tisdale
Dec 28, 2012 Heather Tisdale rated it really liked it
If it were a book book, I'd probably give this 3.5, but since it's a short story it gets 4 stars. It's hard to make a short story good and I really enjoyed this. I love that the two characters got together. I wish more authors would do this. Cat and Bones meets Kate and Curran. =)
Although, these two work better because there are enough commonalities despite the different worlds. Jane has magic users so it fits with the way it was tweaked. I hope there are more of these to come.
Donna
Dec 14, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it
What do you call it when two authors go all fan girl on each other’s work and write a story together starring characters that don’t exist in each other’s world? I call it the best kind of fan-fic.
Take C.E. Murphy’s Joanne Walker and Faith Hunter’s Jane Yellowrock pull them through a dimensional portal and have them work together to fight the bad guys. The best of both worlds. I loved it.
Haz
Mar 08, 2015 Haz rated it it was amazing
Bonnie Jennings
Jul 22, 2016 Bonnie Jennings rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Okay these are two of my favorite series and authors and they hook up to write a crossover? I loved it. I want more! The problem is when you finish such a good book then you go into withdrawal. I need to find something just as good..................
patricia morley
Apr 29, 2014 patricia morley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best crossover read ever!!

I love both characters and authors and when I first heard about the crossover I couldn't wait to read it. just wish they will do it again.
John Bonfiglio
i just can't get into Jane Yellowrock, but as always i love Joanne Walker
Katie
Feb 20, 2017 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice to spend time with Jo and Jane

Crossover story set in the bayou, lightweight but fun. I recommending if you already know both author's world's, though it could be a standalone if not.
Diane
Dec 28, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Janet & JoAnn

Two of my favorite characters in one story. Jane Yellowrock and JoAnn Walker. I ask you, what could be better?
comfort
I listened to the audio version.

I have always love Jane Yellowrock ( Faith Hunter). This is a collaboration between FH and CE Murphy (whom I have never read).

Am not really happy with witchy magic, (in urban fantasy) because they (the witches) can get out of insurmountable problems with magic, not skill or determination. But this book was pretty great, we have two pnr heroines in a world not their own, and between them with their various skills they save the day.

Book set in New Orleans and these
Brandy
Sep 06, 2014 Brandy rated it liked it
I had read the Walker Papers series (through book 8), but none of the Jane Yellowrock books prior to reading this. CE Murphy points out in the intro material that this should be read after Mountain Echoes (book 8) rather than following Spirit Dances (book 6) where it falls by publication date. Though there are supposedly no spoilers because this didn't happen in Jo's timeline, you won't appreciate the experience if you read it before book 8. Also, I think you'll find it does become important to ...more
Starfire
OK, I really, really, REALLY loved this story.

I've listened to a few each of both the Jane Yellowrock audiobooks and the Jo Walker ones, and something about having the narrators from each of the individual series come together in the crossover world just MADE the book for me.

Did the story have weaknesses? Sure. I'm fairly certain it's never going to win any prizes for high literature. But you know, I don't care. It was fun. I got to spend time with characters I like from both worlds. Jo's intera
Alyssa Ricks
Feb 17, 2012 Alyssa Ricks rated it really liked it
This is a novella by CE Murphy and Faith Hunter featuring Joanne Walker and Jane Yellowrock, the stars of their current series. I really like the Jane Yellowrock series, but had never read anything by CE Murphy before. After finishing this novella I ordered the first book featuring Joanne Walker, Urban Shaman.

The story switches between Joanne and Jane's POV as they are transported from their respective realities to a third reality in New Orleans where Amaury is still alive and holding the power
Jeanny
Feb 01, 2014 Jeanny rated it it was ok
I picked up Easy Pickings because I follow Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series.
I love that series & continue to follow along faithfully.

Easy Pickings introduced me to C.E Murphy's Walker Papers series. I ended up reading the first 4 books in the series & just couldn't carry on. BORING.
Couldn't stand the Walker
Coyote Dreams
Thunderbird Falls
Urban Shaman

Overall I'd say skipping Easy Pickings wouldn't be cause for alarm. I myself just could not get into it. Atr first I thought it was
Cher
Jan 20, 2012 Cher rated it really liked it
I love crossover books, mixing authors and worlds can be difficult but these two authors make it easy. At least easy to read. CE Murphy and Faith Hunter's characters get to mix it up and kick some supernat butts on a different dimension than their own. What was unique is that Jane Yellowrock (Faith Hunter's character), comes from a different dimension in her books than Joanne Walker ( CE Murphy's character) does in Murphy's books to begin with. So these two charcters will never meet on the stree ...more
Walker Papers: Easy Pickings 11 54 Jan 24, 2013 08:28AM
  • Have Stakes, Will Travel (Jane Yellowrock, #4.5)
  • Winter Moon
C.E. Murphy is a writer of fantasy novels and short stories. She also writes "action-adventure romance" novels under the pseudonym Cate Dermody, which was her grandmother's maiden name.
More about C.E. Murphy...

Walker Papers (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1)
  • A Garrison Report: Magic Hath An Element
  • Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2)
  • Coyote Dreams (Walker Papers, #3)
  • Rabbit Tricks (Walker Papers #3.5)
  • Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4)
  • Demon Hunts (Walker Papers, #5)
  • Spirit Dances (Walker Papers, #6)
  • Forgotten but by a Few
  • Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)

“You fought demons?" Jane said incredulously, "And I thought my life was weird."

"You turn into a giant panther. Your life is weird.”
6 likes
“I stared at Amaury, maintaining a half-smile and attitude until Joanne got back. Then I said, “I understand we have to talk to the chief suckhead of New Orleans." When in doubt, go for crass.” 3 likes