Start by marking “Easy Pickings (Walker Papers, #7.6)” as Want to Read:
Easy Pickings (Walker Papers, #7.6)

Easy Pickings (Walker Papers #7.6)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,136 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Two heroines. Two magics. One world.

There’s nowhere in America like the Big Easy. Just ask Jane Yellowrock, shapeshifting vampire killer, whose hunting grounds run the length and breadth of the Bayou.

Just ask Joanne Walker, whose shamanic magic has drawn her to the heart of American Weird.

But it’s not Joanne’s world, and it isn’t Jane’s either. In a New Orleans where Katri
Published January 5th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Easy Pickings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Easy Pickings

Ian
C.E. Murphy and Faith Hunter have brought their two most popular characters together in what is described in the synopsis as fan-fiction. As fan-fiction it almost works. It actually makes me want to read C.E. Murphy's Walker Papers series which until this novella I had never even considered.

description

But in the end it feels like one of those cross-over episodes of popular sitcoms. The world of Jane Yellowrock doesn't quite fit with the world of Joanne Walker. Time is spent explaining away the incongruiti
Paige Ellen Stone
Somehow, when I read this, I forgot to review it. I don't know how I did that because this novella was like a dream come true, the coming together of two of my favorite kick-ass heroines in the same story. Of course the authors take advantage of the magic of writing in the paranormal and this story is set in a New Orleans with which neither is familiar (a real challenge for Jane, since she lives there). They must solve the how and why of their being there together before they are destroyed by th ...more
Beth
Oh this was fun! I loved the humor and snark. Jane and Joanne work well together and I was entranced with Lazarus although the hints to his identity were fairly obvious if you know about N'awlins. Better than boudain balls and crayfish, I tell you! I would REALLY appreciate either Murphy or Hunter following up on his adventures and his New Orleans. I think it would be a lovely read!
Meg Moore
This would be a great story even if I'd never read either series, but to have two of my favorite authors, who each enjoy the other's work, combine their two characters in one story - so cool! Knowing both series, it was fun to see how Joanne and Jane are similar, and where they are different. I would love to more in this crossover world!
Douglas Meeks
I finished Easy Pickings which is a crossover novel of Jane Yellowrock series and Joann Walker series (which I have never read but will add to my list) and it was GREAT, you don't have to be a fan of both series to enjoy it, but seems that you might find it a small bit more enjoyable if you were but I loved it. The basic premise is that they are both pulled into an alternate universe where New Orleans is NOT the one either of them know and they have to save it (no you don't get the details from ...more
Dianne
Two different women. Totally different women, both with the ability to shape shift, meet in New Orleans. A vastly different New Orleans than we know. One where Hurricane Katrina hasn't hit and businesses that were there yesterday are gone today. One in which the cities top Vamp is now alive instead of permanently dead at the hand of Jane Yellowrock. But it is not Joannes world either. Through a portal they walked the two of them and out of the portal came three and as three they must face an evi ...more
She-Wolf Reads
This was fun. Pure, action-filled fun. If you are a fan of Jane Yellowrock or Joanne Walker then this is a must read – a fun novella to tide you over until the release of the next book in the Yellowrock and Walker series.

Weighing in at 81 pages, this is a quick read. It opens with Jane and Joanne suddenly finding themselves in an alternate reality – a New Orleans that exists in another world. They immediately recognize the magic each of them have and team up to figure out where they are and how
Haz
Erin
AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!

I love these two series and having a cross over novella is this fan girl's dream. It's always fun to hear that two talented, wonderful authors are fans of each others and when they come together and write "fan fic", it's a dream come true.

I think that this would be a great start for anyone interested in trying the two series. It reveals just enough to interest and introduce a new reader. For current readers, this is a bonus :)

I don't want to say too much b/c the story w
Heather Tisdale
If it were a book book, I'd probably give this 3.5, but since it's a short story it gets 4 stars. It's hard to make a short story good and I really enjoyed this. I love that the two characters got together. I wish more authors would do this. Cat and Bones meets Kate and Curran. =)
Although, these two work better because there are enough commonalities despite the different worlds. Jane has magic users so it fits with the way it was tweaked. I hope there are more of these to come.
Donna
What do you call it when two authors go all fan girl on each other’s work and write a story together starring characters that don’t exist in each other’s world? I call it the best kind of fan-fic.
Take C.E. Murphy’s Joanne Walker and Faith Hunter’s Jane Yellowrock pull them through a dimensional portal and have them work together to fight the bad guys. The best of both worlds. I loved it.
Brandy
I had read the Walker Papers series (through book 8), but none of the Jane Yellowrock books prior to reading this. CE Murphy points out in the intro material that this should be read after Mountain Echoes (book 8) rather than following Spirit Dances (book 6) where it falls by publication date. Though there are supposedly no spoilers because this didn't happen in Jo's timeline, you won't appreciate the experience if you read it before book 8. Also, I think you'll find it does become important to ...more
patricia morley
Best crossover read ever!!

I love both characters and authors and when I first heard about the crossover I couldn't wait to read it. just wish they will do it again.
Jeanny
I picked up Easy Pickings because I follow Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series.
I love that series & continue to follow along faithfully.

Easy Pickings introduced me to C.E Murphy's Walker Papers series. I ended up reading the first 4 books in the series & just couldn't carry on. BORING.
Couldn't stand the Walker
Coyote Dreams
Thunderbird Falls
Urban Shaman

Overall I'd say skipping Easy Pickings wouldn't be cause for alarm. I myself just could not get into it. Atr first I thought it was
comfort
I listened to the audio version.

I have always love Jane Yellowrock ( Faith Hunter). This is a collaboration between FH and CE Murphy (whom I have never read).

Am not really happy with witchy magic, (in urban fantasy) because they (the witches) can get out of insurmountable problems with magic, not skill or determination. But this book was pretty great, we have two pnr heroines in a world not their own, and between them with their various skills they save the day.

Book set in New Orleans and these
Noktelfa
I've read the entire Urban Shaman series, and every thus-far published book in the Jane Yellowrock series. I have to say that I never considered how awesome it would be for Jane and Jo to meet. This book, while short, presents a fun little adventure with the two of them combining their strengths to defeat the enemy.
Alyssa Ricks
This is a novella by CE Murphy and Faith Hunter featuring Joanne Walker and Jane Yellowrock, the stars of their current series. I really like the Jane Yellowrock series, but had never read anything by CE Murphy before. After finishing this novella I ordered the first book featuring Joanne Walker, Urban Shaman.

The story switches between Joanne and Jane's POV as they are transported from their respective realities to a third reality in New Orleans where Amaury is still alive and holding the power
Mara
Feb 01, 2012 Mara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Murphy/Hunter fans
An alternate reality in an alternate reality novel :) A nice game of mirrors both in worldbuilding and heroines.

If you love Yellorock or Walker, you'll probably love this romp of a story in which 2 UF lead women are (literally) suck to save New Orleans.

The authors meant the novella as a thank you to fans and I believe that fans are going to appreciate it more. I have read only one Murphy's Walker novels. So I liked this Joanna but as a counterpoint to Jane/Beast. I guess Ms Murphy's fans will
Cher
I love crossover books, mixing authors and worlds can be difficult but these two authors make it easy. At least easy to read. CE Murphy and Faith Hunter's characters get to mix it up and kick some supernat butts on a different dimension than their own. What was unique is that Jane Yellowrock (Faith Hunter's character), comes from a different dimension in her books than Joanne Walker ( CE Murphy's character) does in Murphy's books to begin with. So these two charcters will never meet on the stree ...more
Art Lueder
I picked up this story because I am an avid Jane Yellowrock fan. Now I'm going to check into the Walker Papers. Great short story!
Robert
Two of my favorite urban fantasy characters in one book. What's not to like? My only criticism is that it's too short.
Anita
This is fan fiction by the authors, according to the summary. In this short story, Jane Yellowrock and Joanne Walker (both superpowered, both Native American, and both 6 foot tall) get sucked into a parallel world and team up to defeat the big bad - an old crazy vampire who's trapped the power of an element into a magical artifact. Jane and Joanne are mistaken by sisters and feel an instant bond. They exchange items in case they ever need to try to reach each other again.
Loy
Good crossover
Very short.
I have read all of the walker papers and Skinwalker series so it was fun.
Sheryl
Two of my favorite characters in Urban Fantasy meet in weird alternate version of New Orleans.
Darcy
Reading is meant to be fun, and this story is just that. I love that these 2 authors got talking about their characters and realized that they were fans just like us, giving us a present with this tale.

I can totally see Jo and Jane being BFF's, they are similar, yet different. They seem to have the same need to save people. I really liked that this story wasn't clearly set in one of their worlds, but combined both of them, creating a new one.

It does make me wonder that now that their adventure
Jaime Jeffrey
This should've been a full novel. It was so good and ended way to quickly.
KeshaB0623
I loved the crossover universe with both of my favorite heroines.
Tara
When two authors get together to write their own fan fiction good things happen. Jane Yellowrock and Joanne Walker find themselves in a not-quite-theirs universe in a New Orleans that has a dark presence hanging over it. Working together they have to figure out what is going on before they can find a way home. Two of the liveliest heroines with wicked sharp wit and kickass attitudes come together in a story that is a brilliant combination of two amazing authors. You'll be cheering the girls on w ...more
Marjorie Ihssen
I love this whole series
Bob Hengstebeck
Not great as an audiobook, not due to the narrators but how the pieces were edited. Aside from this the story was an interesting intermix of the two authors and characters. I would read any follow-up if the two authors tried this again.
Walker Papers: Easy Pickings 11 53 Jan 24, 2013 08:28AM
  • Have Stakes, Will Travel (Jane Yellowrock, #4.5)
  • Winter Moon
C.E. Murphy is a writer of fantasy novels and short stories. She also writes "action-adventure romance" novels under the pseudonym Cate Dermody, which was her grandmother's maiden name.
More about C.E. Murphy...

Walker Papers (10 books)
  • Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1)
  • Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2)
  • Coyote Dreams (Walker Papers, #3)
  • Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4)
  • Demon Hunts (Walker Papers, #5)
  • Spirit Dances (Walker Papers, #6)
  • Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)
  • Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers, #8)
  • Shaman Rises (Walker Papers, #9)
  • Urban Shaman - Thunderbird Falls - Coyote Dreams (The Walker Papers. #1 - #3)
Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1) Coyote Dreams (Walker Papers, #3) Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2) Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4) Spirit Dances (Walker Papers, #6)

“You fought demons?" Jane said incredulously, "And I thought my life was weird."

"You turn into a giant panther. Your life is weird.”
6 likes
“I stared at Amaury, maintaining a half-smile and attitude until Joanne got back. Then I said, “I understand we have to talk to the chief suckhead of New Orleans." When in doubt, go for crass.” 3 likes