Start by marking “The Secret Promise (The Rescue Princesses, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Promise (The Rescue Princesses, #1)

The Secret Promise (The Rescue Princesses #1)

Princess Emily is excited about her first Grand Ball, but she’d rather be on the zip wire in the castle grounds than trying on dresses. Her three friends feel the same, so they slip out after dinner. A zip wire in the dark is excellent fun! But things take a serious turn when the girls find a trapped deer in the forest. Who would do such an awful thing, and why?
Published April 1st 2012 by Nosy Crow (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Promise

Princess Charlotte and the Birthday Ball by Vivian FrenchChocolate Dreams by Helen PerelmanThe Secret Promise by Paula HarrisonA Dream Come True by Chloe RyderThe Special Secret by Chloe Ryder
Fun books for little girls 2
3rd out of 100 books — 2 voters
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingThe Secret to Hummingbird Cake by Celeste Fletcher McHaleThe Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella
Can you keep a Secret?
228th out of 311 books — 58 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
May 23, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2013
Rescue Princesses is going to be a great new series for younger girl readers. I can see the Rainbow Magic fans eating this series up.

These rescue princesses aren't your normal girly girl princesses. Yes they love the fancy dresses, the amazing hair, and all the jewelry, but they also want to have some normal fun. Such as taking park in a boys versus girl optical course races with the princes. In this first Rescue Princesses book, the princesses are on a mission to save the deer of the kingdom f
Lisa
Dec 28, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
I picked this book up at the school book fair to read to my princess-obsessed four year old as our first "chapter book". It was quite cute. The story is the first in a series, so it obviously has background building on how these four princesses come to be friends and become "The Rescue Princesses". While the plot was predictable from an adult perspective, my daughter still loved it and so until the library has the next book available, we will apparently be rereading this one. Here's hoping it ...more
Opal Florey
Nov 15, 2014 Opal Florey rated it really liked it
Title: The Secret Promise
Series: Rescue Princesses #1
Author: Paula Harrison
Format: Paperback, 128 pages
Rating: 4.5 stars!!
Recommend it to?: Children who like being ninjas!

My Review:
Simplistic and not what I expected at all haha!!! I love this series, but this book has a slow beginning! I still love them!!

Spoiler bits:

None!!
Alexandra Chauran
Oct 26, 2016 Alexandra Chauran rated it really liked it
My six year old is obsessed with these books now.
Scott
May 19, 2015 Scott rated it liked it
Shelves: children
My daughter and I liked the princesses' resourcefulness, courage, and compassion. The plot I thought was only fair, and the non-princess characters weren't very well-rounded (which is admittedly a very minor flaw--since this is the first book in a series the author understandably wanted to concentrate on developing the main characters). Unfortunately one result is that none of the male characters are strongly developed, and the most important ones aren't exactly good role models (there's the ...more
Kathleen Dixon
Aug 14, 2014 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it
I read this a couple of months ago as part of my plan to read at least of each of the popular series for children that we stock in the bookshop (where I work part-time), and decided that the grandchildren would enjoy it being read to them. James is 6 and Zenobia is 5, and so as part of their (home)schooling they've been listening to this over a few weeks. I'm not sure James was that interested, but, on the other hand, he didn't complain. Zenobia, like many 5-year-olds, just loves princesses, so ...more
Tima
Jul 02, 2016 Tima rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Princess Emily travels to the castle of Mistberg with her parents. She has finally reached the age of nine years old and is now allowed to attend the Mistberg Grand Ball. She is excited to meet the other princesses. The four princesses are soon good friends and work together as a team to rescue at little fawn. But someone evil is planting traps in the forest and none of the adults will believe the girls. The princesses must work together to solve the mystery and save the deer of Mistberg Forest. ...more
Dharia Scarab
Jul 21, 2016 Dharia Scarab rated it liked it

Myself, I go ou
Randomfish
Aug 07, 2014 Randomfish rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-liyah
Five Year Old really enjoyed this one from the start, as it contains two things she loves: Princesses and Ziplines!

Since she herself is frequently found fishing or climbing trees in a tutu or pretty dress, she really enjoyed these princesses. She enjoyed the elaborate descriptions of their fancy ballgowns, but also enjoyed (and is now practicing)the "ninja skills". :)

This one took us three evenings of reading to finish, but had enough adventure that it kept her interest from the very start. As a
Leeldoo
Dec 20, 2013 Leeldoo rated it it was amazing
My princess fanatical 4 year old is in love with this book. These princesses include all the fancy trappings-- ball gowns, tiaras, velvety cloaks, but also have a sense of adventure-- exited to play on a zip-line and working together with others to help animals. This book promotes more than a princess being a pretty face-- statements about using your brain to figure out problems and working together to help others encourage self esteem and Provide excellent role models as well. Also,there is a ...more
Alicia Scully
May 22, 2016 Alicia Scully rated it liked it
I could see this series being of interest to early chapter book readers, as it deals with both princesses and adventuring. The princesses like dressing up and having princess duties, but they like taking charge and saving animals more. They even get some ninja skills to help. I wasn't extremely impressed with this, but I could also see the appeal for this age group. I'm not sure that I will need to read the rest of the series though.

For: fans of fantasy and royalty stories; animal lovers.

Possi
Sara Truog
Mar 04, 2014 Sara Truog rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile, for-nina
Quick and cute chapter book about a princess who goes with her parents to a ball, and meets up with several other young princesses. The new friends band together to fight injustice when they discover an animal in trouble. Pretty dresses, sweet animals, and ninja moves - what's not to like? Great girl power for girls in grades 1-3. Nina likes this series, but says this one (the first) is her favorite.
KathyP
Mar 16, 2016 KathyP rated it liked it
I got this for my 7 yr old who loves animals, but finds princesses rather boring. She was kinda hesitant when she started reading it. It started off slow with "too much detail". As soon as the girls met the deer, she found the book interesting. She liked that it was a mystery, too. She asked me to get her the 2nd book. That's a good sign.

She told me to read it. So, I did. Sweet story. Simple drama. Daring girls who formed a nice bond with each other.
Crystal
Sep 23, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing
My 7YO loved it. It's a little over her reading level (at the summer before starting 2nd Grade), but we read through it together.

These girls aren't your average princesses. They use ingenuity, kindness, and even ninja skills to save the deer in the forest from an unknown trapper.

Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Keliana Lily
Dec 18, 2015 Keliana Lily rated it liked it
My kids enjoyed this but it was just ok to me. Some of the words in the book made my kids look at me like "what's that?" Also the names of the girls and locations were horrible. As a name lover I was cringing when
I had to say their names. But overall my kids liked it enough to read the next one so I guess that's all that matters.
Gretyl
Jul 09, 2016 Gretyl rated it liked it
Shelves: unowned
Good for early readers in terms of length of words, sentences and chapters, font size and white space. Very stereotypical princesses and princes overall. The princesses save the dear of Misterberg in this installment that prepares readers for the series in which the princesses will rescue various animals. Will appeal to early readers still very interested in princesses.
Jerusalen
Apr 16, 2015 Jerusalen rated it it was amazing
I like this book. Finally I got it. Its funny how the princes meet. Also I can tell from the book, the princesses have a lot in common. My favorite princess is Clarabel. She is pretty. But I like the others to. I like it how Jaminta can do magic with crystals. I really don't have a favorite part. Its hard to chose from.
Leah
My four year old lost interest mid-way thru the book (as a read aloud, of course). I finished the book so I'd know if I needed to keep or thrift it from a parental standpoint. I'll keep it around just incase she wants to read it on her own in a few years. It looks like something a young female reader may be interested in, although I'll let her decide for herself when the time comes.
Larry Crockett
Jan 24, 2016 Larry Crockett rated it it was amazing
Cute Story. Yes, I read it. In fact, I read it indirectly to my two sweet daughters via YouTube. I don't get to see them much, and I very much miss reading to them. If you have a little girl, they'll get to see this book as I read each chapter on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...
jacky
I used our three codes from Kellogg's to get this book for free. I didn't have super high expectations, but it turned out to be pretty good. I really liked that the girls could be girly (with their jewels and dresses and ball) but that they also were doing something brave and meaningful. The only thing that really bothered me about the book was the strange magic of the jewels.
Feb 03, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A nice little book for very young girls who like their princesses living in modern times. A good enough story to hold the reader's interest, along with many pleasing illustrations. And the theme of helping animals is, of course, a solid one, though nine-year-olds running through dark woods looking to spring deadly steel traps is not the lesson you want your child to take away from this!
Erin
Aug 29, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
My 2nd grade daughter enjoyed this princess story, and I am happy that it is part of a series because she is excited to read more! The princesses love girlie things but they are also mighty girls who work as a team to rescue animals, practice ninja moves, and enjoy zip lines. Great for early chapter book readers!
Nicole
Jan 05, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
Read this one and numbers 2,3,4,5, and 6 in the series to my girls (2nd grade and Kindergarten). They loved them all. I enjoyed that thy weren't annoying to read, though the descriptions of the dress and tiara colors every time the girls change was a little unnecessary. But we all couldn't wait to find out how they princesses would save the animal each time.
Holly Letson
Dec 17, 2014 Holly Letson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75*

This was a decent start to what will probably be a decent series.

Four princesses meet at the Mistberg palace, and quickly become friends. They soon learn that traps are set in the forest by the king's cousin to trap the deer. They disable all the traps, and still attend the ball. Plus, Jaminta fixes their rings to be communicators, so they can always rescue animals together.
Lisa
Oct 03, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Fairy tale meets modern in this story of can-do girls that take an independent step away from the girls that, in the past, have always needed rescuing and another towards brave and opinionated girls that crave adventure and to be brave.
Angie
Aug 16, 2014 Angie rated it it was amazing
We were introduced to this series by my cousin and are so happy she did. My girls are loving this series and always beg for one more chapter each night. I like that the princess are the ones having the adventures and doing the rescuing. My girls want ninja skills now. Too fun.
Emma B
Apr 15, 2016 Emma B rated it really liked it
The thing I like best about the Rescue Princesses is that they rescue animals and learn ninja skills. My favorite part was whem the found the trapped deer and freed her with a screwdriver. My favorite princess was Emily because she got the cloak first with her ninja skills.
Rachel  Jemmas
Jul 11, 2014 Rachel Jemmas rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-shelf
It's a nice story with a little adventure. This book probably suits younger children rather than older ones due to the simple theme. The front cover is colorful and there's more as this is the first in a series.
Alisia
This was a pre-read before giving it to my daughter. It is about four princesses who band together to save animals, ninja style. A refreshing break from the damsel-in-distress type of books, and a great option to give to my mighty girl, who is also very much a girly-girl.
Kalyn
Nov 05, 2015 Kalyn rated it really liked it
Great book for mothers and daughters. It is so refreshing to have girls portrayed as smart, brave, and supporting one another without having to impress a boy or use their good looks. I want to help build confidence in my daughter and these books are great!
  • Trouble at Trident Academy
  • A New Friend (Magic Ponies, #1)
  • Chocolate Dreams
  • Wedding Wings (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls, #5)
  • Stampede Of The Edmontosaurus (Dinosaur Cove, #6)
  • Wellspring of Magic (Creative Girls Club Adventure, #1)
  • Moldylocks and the Three Beards (Princess Pink and the Land of Fake Believe, #1)
  • The Fourth Grade Wizards
  • The Vanishing Coin (The Magic Shop Book 1)
  • Amy and the Missing Puppy (Critter Club, #1)
  • Sylva and the Fairy Ball (The Fairy Bell Sisters #1)
  • Dark Horse (Starlight Animal Rescue, #4)
  • Poppy the Piano Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Music Fairies, #1)
  • Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way!
  • Daring to Dream (Wildwood Stables, #1)
  • True Tales of Animal Heroes
  • Frozen Big Golden Book (Disney Frozen)

The Rescue Princesses (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Wishing Pearl (The Rescue Princesses, #2)
  • The Moonlight Mystery (The Rescue Princesses #3)
  • The Stolen Crystals (The Rescue Princesses, #4)
  • The Snow Jewel (The Rescue Princesses, #5)
  • The Magic Rings (The Rescue Princesses #6)
  • The Lost Gold (The Rescue Princesses, #7)
  • The Shimmering Stone (The Rescue Princesses, #8)
  • The Silver Locket  (The Rescue Princesses, #9)
  • The Ice Diamond (The Rescue Princesses #10)
  • The Rainbow Opal (The Rescue Princesses, #11)