Start by marking “The Prince Who Walked with Lions” as Want to Read:
The Prince Who Walked with Lions

The Prince Who Walked with Lions

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  35 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A sweeping epic about a prince torn from his mountain home. Based on a true story.

The British Army is circling the stronghold of the King of Abyssinia. Under orders from Queen Victoria, its mission is to rescue the British Envoy, held prisoner.

Watching with terror and awe is the king's young son, Alamayu. He knows that his father is as brave as a lion, but how on earth can
Published March 1st 2012 by MacMillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Prince Who Walked with Lions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince Who Walked with Lions

Emily Clark
Jan 07, 2016 Emily Clark rated it really liked it
I enjoyed ‘The Prince Who walked With Lions’ because it shows the Victorian world from the point of view of an Abyssinian tribal prince – Alamayu. Laird does this by describing ordinary things that we take for granted, such as trains, in an intriguing and intimidating way.
From the start I feel sorry for Prince Alamayu because of his unpredictable father and then later on because he is left alone in the confusing world of the British army camps as he travels to England.
I really liked the style th
Maria Longley
This is a historical novel based on true events. Prince Alamayu was brought to England after his father the Emperor of Abyssinia was defeated by the British and his mother died. The book charts this monumental shift in life style and countries for the young prince and we learn a whole lot along the way too. Queen Victoria knew and liked him and they lived near each other on the Isle of Wight for a while, and he went to Rugby... What a strange life for a young Ethiopian! The novel was so absorbin ...more
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
This review was originally published at Fluttering Butterflies

The Prince Who Walked With Lions by Elizabeth Laird isn't anything at all like I expected it to be. Regardless of that, I still really enjoyed it and found the story to be both interesting and sad. Having only read a small blurb about the story before I began reading, I guess I thought the book would be told more in the present from our main character's point of view as he struggles with bullies in his school.

But Alamayu is based on a
Teresa
Mar 19, 2012 Teresa rated it liked it

My Rating 3.5 stars

I’m almost ashamed to say that before reading this I had never even heard of Elizabeth Laird but an examination of her back catalogue has revealed a veritable Aladdin’s Cave of children’s literature – much to add to the never-ending wishlist both for my children and I. She has certainly had a full and varied life, working and travelling in many different parts of the world – a multicultural cornucopia which she has drawn upon to produce a range of intelligently written novels
Stephen King
Apr 21, 2014 Stephen King rated it liked it
Cleverly written semi - true bio of a 19th century Abyssinian boy prince who us taken to England when his fathers empire is overrun. The scenes at Rugby school seem to have been well researched, as well. For me, though, the story line needed a little more suspense to ale it memorable.
Kirsty (overflowing library)
The Prince who walked with lions was an interesting read.

I like Elizabeth Laird's style of historical fiction in that is always based on a huge amount of research of the events that book is about. The facts behind the story are solid and therefore the book is informative without being dull as the story-telling is spot on.

I really enjoyed this book - it mixes between present tense diary format with flashback scenes following the abyssinian prince and looking back over his life. I found getting in
Cynthianatalia
Nov 27, 2013 Cynthianatalia rated it really liked it
I liked it very much! I must admit I teared up a bit towards the end, not many books have that effect on me. Elizabeth Laird has a great way of giving life to Prince Alamayu's story. Will look forward to more of her works from now on!
skippity_doo
Dec 29, 2012 skippity_doo rated it liked it
Well written, dense little novel. I wasn't prepared for such a miserable ending.
Clay
Jun 27, 2012 Clay marked it as to-read
Scottish Children's Book Awards Shortlist
SJH (A Dream of Books)
Review to follow.
Bill Redi
Bill Redi marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Portia
Portia rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
ZombieMunchkin
ZombieMunchkin marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Ayesha
Ayesha marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Denekew Bitew
Denekew Bitew marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Amy
Amy added it
Jan 17, 2016
Gwendoline
Gwendoline marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Dagne Woldie
Dagne Woldie marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Eman
Eman marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Antteneh
Antteneh marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Ayr
Ayr added it
Oct 16, 2015
Laurel Heavner
Laurel Heavner marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Abygail
Abygail marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Laird was born in New Zealand in 1943, the fourth of five children. Her father was a ship's surgeon; both he and Laird's mother were Scottish. In 1945, Laird and her family returned to Britain and she grew up in South London, where she was educated at Croydon High School.
When she was eighteen, Laird started teaching at a school in Malaysia. She decided to continue her adventurous life, even though
More about Elizabeth Laird...