The Prince Who Walked with Lions

The Prince Who Walked with Lions

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A sweeping epic about a prince torn from his mountain home. Based on a true story.

The British Army is circling the stronghold of the King of Abyssinia. Under orders from Queen Victoria, its mission is to rescue the British Envoy, held prisoner.

Watching with terror and awe is the king's young son, Alamayu. He knows that his father is as brave as a lion, but how on earth can...more
Published March 1st 2012 by MacMillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Prince Who Walked with Lions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince Who Walked with Lions

Maria Longley
This is a historical novel based on true events. Prince Alamayu was brought to England after his father the Emperor of Abyssinia was defeated by the British and his mother died. The book charts this monumental shift in life style and countries for the young prince and we learn a whole lot along the way too. Queen Victoria knew and liked him and they lived near each other on the Isle of Wight for a while, and he went to Rugby... What a strange life for a young Ethiopian! The novel was so absorbin...more
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
This review was originally published at Fluttering Butterflies

The Prince Who Walked With Lions by Elizabeth Laird isn't anything at all like I expected it to be. Regardless of that, I still really enjoyed it and found the story to be both interesting and sad. Having only read a small blurb about the story before I began reading, I guess I thought the book would be told more in the present from our main character's point of view as he struggles with bullies in his school.

But Alamayu is based on a...more
Teresa

My Rating 3.5 stars

I’m almost ashamed to say that before reading this I had never even heard of Elizabeth Laird but an examination of her back catalogue has revealed a veritable Aladdin’s Cave of children’s literature – much to add to the never-ending wishlist both for my children and I. She has certainly had a full and varied life, working and travelling in many different parts of the world – a multicultural cornucopia which she has drawn upon to produce a range of intelligently written novels...more
Stephen King
Cleverly written semi - true bio of a 19th century Abyssinian boy prince who us taken to England when his fathers empire is overrun. The scenes at Rugby school seem to have been well researched, as well. For me, though, the story line needed a little more suspense to ale it memorable.
Kirsty (overflowing library)
The Prince who walked with lions was an interesting read.

I like Elizabeth Laird's style of historical fiction in that is always based on a huge amount of research of the events that book is about. The facts behind the story are solid and therefore the book is informative without being dull as the story-telling is spot on.

I really enjoyed this book - it mixes between present tense diary format with flashback scenes following the abyssinian prince and looking back over his life. I found getting in...more
Cynthianatalia
I liked it very much! I must admit I teared up a bit towards the end, not many books have that effect on me. Elizabeth Laird has a great way of giving life to Prince Alamayu's story. Will look forward to more of her works from now on!
Hassan
it's an awesome story
I loved it so much
I wish friends would read it
It contains interesting events
skippity_doo
Well written, dense little novel. I wasn't prepared for such a miserable ending.
Clay
Jun 27, 2012 Clay marked it as to-read
Scottish Children's Book Awards Shortlist
Susan
Susan added it
Aug 05, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Tiya
Tiya marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Alifa S
Alifa S marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Hajira Mueed
Hajira Mueed marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Aurora White
Aurora White marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Ella
Ella added it
Nov 15, 2013
Tadesse Giorgis
Tadesse Giorgis marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Laird was born in New Zealand in 1943, the fourth of five children. Her father was a ship's surgeon; both he and Laird's mother were Scottish. In 1945, Laird and her family returned to Britain and she grew up in South London, where she was educated at Croydon High School.
When she was eighteen, Laird started teaching at a school in Malaysia. She decided to continue her adventurous life, even though...more
More about Elizabeth Laird...
Red Sky in the Morning The Garbage King The Betrayal of Maggie Blair Kiss the Dust A Little Piece of Ground