Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)

Breaking Point (Article 5 #2)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  3,912 ratings  ·  440 reviews
The second installment in Kristen Simmons's fast-paced, gripping YA dystopian series.

After faking their deaths to escape from prison, Ember Miller and Chase Jennings have only one goal: to lay low until the Federal Bureau of Reformation forgets they ever existed.

Near-celebrities now for the increasingly sensationalized tales of their struggles with the government, Ember an...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 400 pages
Published February 12th 2013 by Tor Teen

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
60th out of 1,465 books — 10,152 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
106th out of 2,476 books — 12,485 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
As I got back into the desolation that is is Ember's world, it didn't take long until the rush of it all came right back. The first book, Article 5, was a lot of fun with tons of action and wonderful characters, leaving me dying for this one. The sequel begins where Article 5 one left off, with short recaps along the way for those of you, like me, who forget everything they've read previously. I often have difficulty getting into a sequel because don't remember the story, nor my connection to th...more
Devyani
Jun 19, 2012 Devyani marked it as to-read
I am one of those people who want to find out what happens next , even though they didn't like the previous book all that much . Habit , i know .

ALSO

Is it just me or does the guy who i assume would be the male protagonist , looks obnoxiously.... huge like Mr.Frankenstein himself ? o.O

Must be the pants .
Ferdy
Spoilers

I wasn't a fan of the first book (Article 5), it was mediocre at best but being the kind hearted person that I am, I thought I'd give Breaking Point a chance. Sadly, my kindness didn't pay off. I had to suffer through cookie cutter characters, rubbish worldbuilding and an extremely lame plot. It was traumatic. Okay, it wasn't traumatic but it was boring.

Random thoughts:

-Ember and Chase aka Boring and Boring have escaped the FBR (the stereotypical bad guys) and are now hiding out with the...more
Stefani
Feb 12, 2013 Stefani marked it as to-read
Shelves: pre-ordered
EDIT 2: WHAT THE ACTUAL LIVING FUCK!!?? So B&N tells me they need up to 30 days to get my book, and I have to click on "keep order" to keep my order that long otherwise they'll cancel it after 24 hours. That was on Friday. Now I get an email that it mailed today, AFTER I already bought it from somewhere else because B&N told me they were cancelling my order!! Jesus H Macy! This book better be damn good after all this drama.

EDIT: Just what the fuck is going on with this book? I get an ema...more
Hannah-Linn
I waited so long for this book! And then I read it in two days and now I'm really sad. Really, really sad.

I love these books if you can't tell. I love the settings and the writing and the drama and action and I love the characters. Ember has a tendency to...annoy me at parts. But I love Chase of course and I love all the other characters as well.
AJ
Book 2 in the Article 5 trilogy brings more action, drama, and even a bit of romance to this exciting dystopian story.

After the big finish of the last book, Ember and Chase were on the run. Meeting up with the Resistance movement, they are taken in as heroes for their brave actions. But there are only a few short weeks of ‘quiet’ before Ember’s face pops up the Government’s Most Wanted posters, throwing their lives into even greater turmoil!

Still determined to carry out a dangerous rescue miss...more
Jenni Arndt
I have a special place in my heart for this series. The first book that I ever reviewed here on Alluring Reads was Article 5, I am not going to be linking to that review because it’s terrible and reading Breaking Point made me go and look at how far my reviews have come since I started. But anyway, after reading Article 5 I had high expectations for its follow-up. In order for it to stand up to its predecessor there had to be a lot of action and some great romance, and was there ever!

In true fo...more
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
Goodreads calls this series fast-paced and gripping, and that is no exaggeration. These books are epic! Something about the characters and the action is just so awesome and addicting. I really loved ‘Article 5’, and in my review I mentioned how it sticks out from other dystopians because of its characters and its heart. This continues to be true in ‘Breaking Point’, where we get to know new characters from the rebellion, and fall even more in love with characters from the first novel.

As you can...more
Joy (joyous reads)
You can't fix a destroyed world by suppressing freedom.

Ember Miller and Chase Jennings barely survived their staged deaths. Having found shelter in a hub for a group of rebels, Ember would rather stay hidden and be forgotten. But with a sniper on the loose picking off soldiers one at a time, the FBR needed someone to take the fall. And so the legend of the girl who escaped Rehabilitation and prison begins. With a shoot-to-kill order on her head, the Resistance found a face to launch their attac...more
Rosemary Kimmie
"Home, he'd called me once. I was his home. He was mine too."

"I wondered if he'd really done everything he could possibly could- everything I would have done. Thoughts like this led me nowhere, of course, and only made it harder to be close to him. He was both the cause of my pain and the cure."

Click for extra scenes from Article 5 in Chase's POV.

BEST BOOK OF THE CENTURY!!! 10X infinite STARS!

HOLY SHIT.. What did I just read? Words cannot even describe ho...more
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
His fingers brushed the dark, cropped bangs away from my eyes, and his lips pressed softly against my brow. "I remember who you are. Even if you forget," he said.

For the last year I’ve been highly awaiting Breaking Point, Kristen Simmon’s sequel to Article 5 and I’m so pleased to say what a spectacular sequel it is.

Ember and Chase are now in hiding out with The Resistance after faking their own deaths to keep Federal Bureau of Reformation of their backs. The Resistance tries to put pressure on...more
Amelia
Aug 20, 2012 Amelia marked it as to-read
ugh this sounds like the most cliche second book of a ya dystopian ever
it literally takes every overused idea and slaps it all together
1. there's a mysterious resistance/rebellion
2. this teenage girl who isn't even that important is apparently THE #1 WANTED CRIMINAL!!!!!11111
3. CaN thEIr LoVE STaNd thE UlTimAte TEst????///
literally I have no idea why I'm going to read this
Hermione
IT HAS A COVERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenny
Rating: 4.5/5

Breaking Point is a thrilling sequel, every page vibrating with tension on both physical and emotional levels as Chase and Ember take up the fight of the Resistance. This is a story we close the back cover on with our guts roiling and clashing due to the myriad of conflicting emotions, refusing to settle even though we’ve exited Ember’s brutal world of chaos and compliance and returned to the safety of our reality. Ms. Simmons makes the most of every single page in this lengthy tale...more
Nick

Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog.

Kristen Simmons' Article 5 was one of my first dystopian novels. It was bleak, dark and left me emotionally scarred. I was a little hesitant to start the second installment of the series in fear of it suffering from middle book syndrome, but Breaking Point turned out to be even better than the first book and it's like Kristen Simmons doesn't even know what middle-book syndrome is.

Both main characters, Ember and Chase, went through hell in the first boo...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
I embarked on my reading of Breaking Point with some trepidation. I personally loved Article 5, but a lot of my good friends had major criticisms, and I wondered if I would see flaws I missed before. Thankfully, I needn't have feared, because Breaking Point lives up to its predecessor, and this is one of my favorite YA dystopian series.

For one thing, Simmons' series actually belongs under the heading of a dystopia. As long as the people follow the rules of the lawmakers, the society is perfect,...more
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

I have no idea why it took me so much to write this review. I have read this book a while ago and it really was a great read I just needed some time to put my words together so here we go.

Article 5 was one of the books that I really enjoyed. Last year was time of dystopia explosion and with all new concepts and stories I was in heaven but now with sequels I can divide those that were really amazing and those that were forgettable. This one goes into the fir...more
Avery
While I was somewhat iffy on the first book in this series, "Article 5" (primarily because of Ember), I did find this to be a vast improvement (it's clear that Kristen is growing tremendously as an author)- however, it's not without its faults. Personally I feel that this book suffers from "second book syndrome", to a degree. After finishing it and sitting back to consider it I found myself thinking, "That's it? All that this story centered around was trying to rescue Rebecca?" I just don't thin...more
Lili
Where to begin, where to begin. I seriously don't know. My heart is beating a mile a minute--the same reaction that book one left me with. Kristen Simmons knows how to make a girl anxious and want to read more.

I loved this book and the dark world that Simmons created. While I never want to be part of it myself, I love immersing myself in its depths and losing myself to Ember and Chase's story. I have to say that this book was sadder than book one. There's more death, more desperation, little lig...more
MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-»

RATING: 4 Hearts

My venture into the dystopian genre began with Kristen Simmons’ breathtaking debut, Article 5, and ever since I flipped the last page of it, I had been anxiously awaiting the next book. Once again, Simmons’ creative writing brings forth non-stop believable action, a world where religious jingoism is preferred over right and wrong, well-developed characters and just the right amount of romance to keep Breaking Point off the usual “sequel blues” list. With the help of this thrillin...more
Jenny
If its possible, I loved this sequel even more than the first book, Article 5. This was another heart-pounding, raw, and nail-biting adventure for Ember and Chase. The action just really didn't stop, except for a few emotional scenes between Ember and Chase here and there.

*There will possibly be spoilers from the first book in this review*

Things pick up right where we left off in Article 5, but things have gotten even more dangerous for Ember. There is a sniper out there that has been picking o...more
Abbie
This series is brilliant.
Ember and Chase are taken in by the Resistance. Someone is the sniper, Ember's taking the blame, but is it really her?
Great dystopia concept.
Recommend for 14-20 year olds.
Nandy Dandy
Can someone tell me this if the world going to end this year y is everything coming out next year
Nicole
Oh my god. What a stellar second book. Simmons did not suffer from what people call the sophomore slump. She came back in this book with Ember and Chase and she kicked some ass. I loved the plot of this book even more than I loved the first book. I found myself less annoyed with Ember because she grew up in this book, she took her experiences and grew on them rather than stay the same stubborn person that she was, and could have remained. I loved seeing so much growth in all of the characters.

I...more
Kristina
I loved last years Article 5. I thought it was an exciting and original dystopian and I was so excited to get my hands on Breaking Point. While I didn't think it was as good as the first book, it was still a great read!

The main thing that gets me so hooked with this series is the characters. Ember and Chase are so well written that I feel what they feel, and I deal with what they are dealing with. Even the secondary characters are fleshed out perfectly! Ember and Chase have been through a lot, a...more
Kathryn
FREAKING AMAZING---- http://tsktskwhattoread2.blogspot.com...

I need to say thank you first and foremost to Jean BookNerd for hosting this fabulous tour. I am so glad that I was able to be on it. I read the synopsis for this book and knew right away that I wanted to read it. Albeit, I had to read book 1, Article 5, first...but, let me say....SO....WORTH.....IT!!!

To begin, I am going to sum up my feelings on Article 5 quickly and then head in to Breaking Point.

I began Article 5 and knew instantly...more
Ms. Yingling
After escaping the Federal Bureau of Reformation (or the Moral Militia), Ember and Chase have been taken in by the Resistance and are staying in a rundown hotel in Knoxville. They are trying to reunite with some of their friends and attack the MM whenever they can, but after Ember gets identified as a sniper and can be shot by anyone, she has to be careful. She does manage to go on some mission dressed in Sisters of Salvation uniforms, and rescues Sarah, who is pregnant by a MM member, from a Te...more
Stacy
Ms. Simmons gets another 5 star review from me with BREAKING POINT, book 2 in the Article 5 series. Ember is starting to feel a little safer as her and Chance lay low with the Resistance. That is until Ember makes the governments most wanted list and an old enemy shows up at their doorstep.

Things have definitely been brought up a notch in BREAKING POINT. We get to meet a ton of new interesting people and learn more about people we already know. The world building is just as fantastic as ARTICLE...more
Giselle at BO-OK NERD Canada
Breaking Point has probably one of the best dystopian worlds I have ever read. Down to the government being insanely controlling and their rules being enforced by all the military, the citizens have lived in fear all their lives. This is certainly the case with Ember and Chase. When we ended with Article 5, they faked their own deaths and have now become well-known fugitives, with Ember being on their most-wanted list.

Ember struggled a lot within the course of the book especially when it came to...more
Kathy
OK, I really liked it. I gotta say this is my favorite genre, by far. It fascinates me how many ways authors can think up to oppress a society with. I mean when you think about it, it's kind of creepy how they hit on such topics as taking our children and making them fight to the death as in Hunger Games or use sex as in XVI or even using your appearance as in Uglies as a way to keep everybody in line. But this series in particular creeps me out because the subject used it as mundane as doing th...more
Do you trust Tucker? 6 42 Sep 11, 2013 07:37AM
David Estes Fans ...: Breaking Point Buddy Read 26 21 May 24, 2013 08:35PM
Crazy for Young A...: Breaking Point (Article 5 #2) by Kristen Simmons → Start Date: March 12, 2013 25 33 Mar 22, 2013 01:38PM
  • The Lives We Lost (Fallen World, #2)
  • The Life Beyond (The Other Life, #2)
  • Phoenix (Black City, #2)
  • Unbreakable (Unraveling, #2)
  • Override (Glitch, #2)
  • Horde (Razorland, #3)
  • The Uprising (The Forsaken, #2)
  • Fragments (Partials, #2)
  • The Essence (The Pledge, #2)
  • Sky on Fire (Monument 14, #2)
  • Resist (Breathe, #2)
  • Rage Within (Dark Inside, #2)
  • Altered (Crewel World, #2)
  • Abandon (Possession, #3)
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • The Prey (The Hunt, #2)
  • Rise (Eve, #3)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
Kristen Simmons is the author of the ARTICLE 5 series and THE GLASS ARROW (Tor Teen). She loves her family, Jazzercise, and chocolate cupcakes. She currently lives in Cincinnati, Ohio.

For more updates on Kristen and her writing, visit http://www.kristensimmonsbooks.com or http://www.facebook.com/author.kriste....

More about Kristen Simmons...
Article 5 (Article 5, #1) Three (Article 5, #3) The Glass Arrow (Untitled Trilogy, #1)

“I love you, Em. I've loved you since I was eight years old, and I'll love you my whole life.” 23 likes
“Hush. Listen now. I need to say a couple of mom things.

Listen, because this is important. Eat more- you're getting too skinny. And smile. Oh, and don't believe anyone who says they'll pay you back later; they never do.

And one more thing, I have never loved one single thing in my life more than you. You were worth living for, and Ember, you were worth dying for.”
22 likes