Start by marking “Toward a Recognition of Androgyny: A Search Into Myth and Literature to Trace Manifestations of Androgyny and to Assess Their Implications for Today” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Library Binding, 220 pages
Published December 1st 1997 by Replica Books (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Toward a Recognition of Androgyny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toward a Recognition of Androgyny

Kate
Feb 08, 2008 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: my grandmother, RNC delegates
Having been through enough lit and social sciences courses (at two large universities) to choke a horse, it's a shame this book was never taught. Or mentioned. Or anything. I discovered it by accident. Classic.

Keeping in tune with the legacies of a long list of quasi-pariahs of her acumen and talent, Heilbrun took her life--at the startling age of 77. Her Times obit, much like this book, is a must read.

P.S. The cover of the 1973 paperback is far more visually appealing.

Wiki Bio

Rita
Been reading this mostly for sentimental reasons.

It has been on my wish list since my Uni-graduation days back in 1996 and I recently found a copy of it, second hand, online. I just couldn’t resist buying it!

Reading this in this day and age with the background that I have, so many years after its original publication, makes it quite a dated read; nothing new in the terms of literary criticism, gender study or even feminism is brought to my attention. I've moved beyond this already.

Still, I thin
Rae
Heilbrun (who was mystery writer Amanda Cross) uses examples from literature to show patterns of androgyny. She also has a chapter on the Bloomsbury group, focusing primarily on Virgina Woolf. Austen, Bronte, Eliot, James, Hardy and many others are mentioned.

Androgyny: an ancient Greek word defining a condition under which the characteristics of the sexes, and the human impulses expressed by men and women, are not rigidly assigned. Androgyny seeks to liberate the individual from the confines of
Provence1229
Provence1229 marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Gregory
Gregory marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Neil Danner
Neil Danner marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Lauren
Lauren added it
Jan 29, 2015
Daniel Taylor
Daniel Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Ismailsaleem
Ismailsaleem marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
. marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Brett
Brett is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2015
Vivien
Vivien marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Daniel Ramírez Martins
Daniel Ramírez Martins is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
Sue
Sue added it
Jun 20, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Marwa Alouini
Marwa Alouini marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
stacie m w
stacie m w marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Amirali
Amirali marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Abi Mott
Abi Mott marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Carolyn Gold Heilbrun (January 13, 1926 – October 9, 2003) was an American academic and prolific feminist author of both important academic studies and popular mystery novels under the pen name of Amanda Cross.

Heilbrun attended graduate school in English literature at Columbia University, receiving her M.A. in 1951 and Ph.D in 1959. Among her most important mentors were Columbia professors Jacques
More about Carolyn G. Heilbrun...
Writing a Woman's Life The Last Gift of Time: Life Beyond Sixty Education of a Woman: The Life of Gloria Steinem Hamlet's Mother and Other Women: With a New Preface by the Author Reinventing Womanhood