Toward a Recognition of Androgyny: A Search Into Myth and Literature to Trace Manifestations of Androgyny and to Assess Their Implications for Today

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Library Binding, 220 pages
Published December 1st 1997 by Replica Books (first published 1973)

Kate
Feb 08, 2008 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: my grandmother, RNC delegates
Having been through enough lit and social sciences courses (at two large universities) to choke a horse, it's a shame this book was never taught. Or mentioned. Or anything. I discovered it by accident. Classic.

Keeping in tune with the legacies of a long list of quasi-pariahs of her acumen and talent, Heilbrun took her life--at the startling age of 77. Her Times obit, much like this book, is a must read.

P.S. The cover of the 1973 paperback is far more visually appealing.

Wiki Bio

Rita
Been reading this mostly for sentimental reasons.

It has been on my wish list since my Uni-graduation days back in 1996 and I recently found a copy of it, second hand, online. I just couldn’t resist buying it!

Reading this in this day and age with the background that I have, so many years after its original publication, makes it quite a dated read; nothing new in the terms of literary criticism, gender study or even feminism is brought to my attention. I've moved beyond this already.

Still, I thin...more
Rae
Heilbrun (who was mystery writer Amanda Cross) uses examples from literature to show patterns of androgyny. She also has a chapter on the Bloomsbury group, focusing primarily on Virgina Woolf. Austen, Bronte, Eliot, James, Hardy and many others are mentioned.

Androgyny: an ancient Greek word defining a condition under which the characteristics of the sexes, and the human impulses expressed by men and women, are not rigidly assigned. Androgyny seeks to liberate the individual from the confines of...more
stacie m w
stacie m w marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Amirali
Amirali marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Abi Mott
Abi Mott marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Sandra
Sandra is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2014
cm2
cm2 marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Ueva
Ueva marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Zack
Zack marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
Annirose
Annirose marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013
Ta Marla
Ta Marla marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2012
Marwa Arafa
Marwa Arafa marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2012
tsweaney
tsweaney marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2012
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2012
L
L marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Writing a Woman's Life The Last Gift of Time: Life Beyond Sixty Education of a Woman: The Life of Gloria Steinem Hamlet's Mother and Other Women: With a New Preface by the Author Reinventing Womanhood