The Beloved Invader (St. Simons Trilogy, #3)

The Beloved Invader (St. Simons Trilogy #3)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  603 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Beloved Christian author Eugenia Price continues her chronicle of the history and romance of St. Simons Island, Georgia, in this final novel in her classic St. Simons Trilogy.
Hardcover, commemorative, 271 pages
Published 2000 by Providence House (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Beloved Invader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beloved Invader

Monique
All three of the books in the St. Simons Island Trilogy belong here. You know I love a story when I plan a whole trip to the setting to visit the same sights and walk the same paths that the characters did. Since the series is historical fiction based on people who really lived, one can even see the graves of the people in the stories!
Debbie
Oct 09, 2008 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Debbie by: My mom
This trilogy is a must read. I have now put St. Simons as a place to visit sometime before I die. I almost feel a part of that island and community even though I have never set foot on the place.
Penny
The book was so good that I have made several trips to St. Simons to see the church and all the people from the books who are buried in the cemetery.
Sharon
Loved this one too! I really want to go back to St. Simon's now!
Dan Chance
Anson Dodge. The very name says MONEY! After all who names their child Anson? (Just like who names a child Edsel Ford?) Anyway the story starts with Anson as a young man just forming his ideas of what he wants to be as a man going to visit his dad at his lumber mill on St. Simons Island. His father wants nothing to do with Anson or with Anson's mother and he leaves to advance his fortune in Canada. Anson in the meantime has reconnoitered the island and is entranced particularly by the old Episco...more
Morgan Quisenberry
Morgan Quisenberry
Ms. Minniear
English 9
10/11/10
The Beloved Invader Review

The title of the book I read is, The Beloved Invader by Eugenia Price. This book is set on a small boat sailing to St. Simons Island in Georgia where a young man named Anson Dodge is sailing to visit his father who runs a mill there. It is a few years after the Civil War. The point of view is from Anson, who is also the main character.
Anson Dodge is a young man of nineteen who is about to be married to his first cousin, Ell...more
Sue
A With the Civil War over, the Gould family returned to St. Simon's Island and settles back into Black Banks. Reconstruction progress is evident in the presence of the Mills. Anson Greene Phelps Dodge comes to the Island to spend Christmas with his father, who oversees the mills. The day Anson arrives, his father abrubtly leaves the Island and leaves his life. But Anson quickly falls in love with the Island and the people, including Anna Gould. After leaving for seminary, Anson returns bringing...more
Marla
Anna Gould has had longtime feelings for Anson Dodge, who is training to be a minister. She learns when he comes home from school, he is engaged to beautiful, sophisticated Ellen, she is devasted. Then Ellen dies of cholera on her wedding trip to India. Anson is unable to cope with his grieve and ask Anna the neighbor to be his housekeeper. Anna accepts the position, but finds it painful to be close to the man she loves and longs to marry. As they go through crisis together love begins to develo...more
Dale
I thoroughly enjoyed the story line in this popular Eugenia Price book. However, like the first two books in this St. Simons Island trilogy, I cringed at the dialogue throughout most of the book. It is almost as much a romance as an historical fiction, but I just thought much of the dialogue was juvenile. Perhaps the research was based on old letters and are authentic. These books were written in the 1960's about the 1800's, but just saying... The only reason I read all three was because of my l...more
Kaethe
I enjoyed it well enough, but can't remember any details at all now.
Debbie Wooten
Very informative and entertaining novels on the families and history of St. Simon's Island. Main characters: Horace Bunch and Deborah A. Gould, Anson Dodge, Anna G. Dodge, Mary Gould. Time spans from Horace's school days to his time served in the Civil War to his death. Really good descriptions of island's beauty, civil war, slavery issues, and two men's love for their women. Very subdued and enjoyable.
Graceann
Dec 02, 2007 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
The final book in the Lighthouse Trilogy (though it is actually the first novel Eugenia Price wrote); this one deals with the recovery after the Civil War, and the rebuilding of Christ Church Frederica. At the heart of the story is Anson Dodge's loss of his wife, and his dedication to her memory. I first read this in August 1993 and revisit it regularly.
Dottie Brodhag
#3 in a trilogy of Historical fiction taking place on St. Simons Island in the 1700's and 1800's. The Lighthouse & New Moon Rising are #1 and #2.Fascinating since we live right where it takes place!
Ginny
I really like these older historical romances. They have a grace and innocence about them that the new things do not have in my opinion. Think I must have read this when it first came out as it seemed a little familiar. Plan to read the others in the trilogy as well as I will be visiting the area later this spring.
Annie
I like books with great settings (St. Simons Island Georgia is a good place to add to my bucket list), and I like learning about civil war history. I didn't love the personality of Anson Dodge, (a real man, who did great things) but he was a good man and he and family's story is unique; a really good read.
Orpha Hernandez
This trilogy although it's historical and depicts what was happening at the time is kind of complicated and I wouldn't say boring but not exactly thrilling to read either.
Kaye
The frustratingly tragic and true love story of a pathetic Methodist minister. This book has merit because it is based on fact and it takes place on St Simon's Island.
Karen
I have finished my first Eugenia Price trilogy. Oh, the tears! I am definitely in love with her books. Now...which trilogy next?
Rachel
This one was not as good as the first 2 in the series. And it was very sad - almost the entire book!
Kelly Ann
This one was a little too preachy for my liking...The Lighthouse was much better!
Karen
Aaron Dodge's life is interesting, but there are many skips it the timeline.
Bev Hankins
The best of the St. Simons Trilogy. I've read this one over and over.
Diane
Love Eugenia Prices books and this was another good one!
Melody
Part 3 of 3 and you'll wish there were more!
Linda
A minister and the two women who love him.
Ellen
The last of the trilogy ... wonderful read.
Carrie Foster
My what tragic, heart breaking love.
Rick
3rd in the series. Each was a delight
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
  • American Dreams (Crown Family Saga, #2)
  • Wedding Belles
  • Midnight Clear (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #7)
  • The Sea Garden
  • Julie
  • Shadows of the Canyon (Desert Roses, #1)
  • The Witch Next Door
  • The Blue Bottle Club
  • Lowcountry Summer (Lowcountry Tales #7)
  • Americans at War
  • Rutherford Park
  • Kirkland Revels
  • The Substitute Guest
  • Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4)
  • Tapestry
  • Too Long a Stranger
  • The Heather Hills of Stonewycke (Stonewycke Trilogy #1)
  • Charleston
Price was born into a middle class family in Charleston, West Virginia. Her father, Walter Price, was a dentist. At the age of ten Eugenia decided that she wanted to be a writer, an ambition encouraged by her mother Anna. She submitted a poem to her school's literary magazine. In 1932 she graduated from high school, declared herself an atheist and decided to pursue a career in dentistry instead of...more
More about Eugenia Price...
Savannah (Savannah Quartet, #1) Lighthouse (St. Simons Trilogy, #1) New Moon Rising (St. Simons Trilogy, #2) To See Your Face Again (Savannah Quartet, #2) Stranger in Savannah (Savannah Quartet, #4)