Start by marking “Smart Love: The Compassionate Alternative to Discipline That Will Make You a Better Parent and Your Child a Better Person” as Want to Read:

Putting a child's inner happiness first, the authors show how to avoid the discipline trap by using your head and trusting your heart.
Published March 11th 1999 by Harvard Common Press (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Smart Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Love

nicebutnubbly
Apr 04, 2014 nicebutnubbly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to really like this book. I want to really like this approach! My kid is working with the Smart Love people (they were the only therapist we found in our town who was recommended and taking patients) and I really want this to work for him.

I had to grit my teeth listening to this and remind myself over and over and over to be open-minded. I failed, I guess. I couldn't even listen all the way through (so take that as salt when reading this review).

I like their general goals - love and kin
Jenny
Mar 20, 2017 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What I did take away from this was that I need to respond positively to my children, to let them know I love to help them, that they can count on me to take care of them because they are worth it.
I was torn. I bought into some of what they posited, but not all of it. I didn't listen to the end though, and they may have started in with suggestions for what to do with kids who weren't raised this way from the beginning.
The author claimed that kids who experience unhappy emotions early on, due to
Susan
May 13, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dunno.

This book kind of threw me for a parenting loop. Its philosophy is that, if a child is misbehaving, he/she has "inner unhappiness." If a parent disciplines her, her unhappiness grows even greater. The authors promote nurture over nature 100%, even saying that a child's personality is created by the actions of the parents. So: if your child has a difficult personality, it's because of his/her inner unhappiness, which YOU caused! Sheesh. Talk about a guilt trip.

They totally reject the idea
Amy
May 19, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting-family
At times a book cannot be adequately assessed immediately after an initial reading. Such a book for me was Smart Love. The book's basic premise is that children learn to crave inner unhappiness if they do not receive unconditional love from their parents. At the time I read it, I considered much of the parenting advice sound but Pieper's evaluation of children's misbehavior as nearly always stemming from inner unhappiness seemed ridiculous. While I still don't go to her extreme, I believe it to ...more
Kim Clement
May 20, 2013 Kim Clement rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I randomly checked this book out of the library about 9 years ago. It planted some of my best parenting seeds. The main idea is that when a child does something wrong, what is the best way to teach them? Is it to "punish" by showing disfavor or or putting in a corner (they were against time-out but I happen to like lime-out)? Their answer is no, being punitive is not the best teacher. They offer wonderful alternatives. Some more realistic than others.

A book that develops this idea more fully an
Jennifer Miera
Wow was this book outdated. I had trouble muddling through some of the sentences in the book because they were so needlessly wordy. The "smart love" concept they keep refering to in the book is only vaguely described at the beginning of the book and no real "tools" are given. That being said, there is some good information in here - that children who act out are coming from a place of "inner unhappiness" and that if we strengthen our connection with our kids and interact with them from a place o ...more
Blanche_in_Lakeview
My son Lukas goes to the Smart Love Preschool (Toddler Explorations Program) on the North Side of Chicago. The preschool is founded on the philosophy laid out here by the Piepers. It is a fast, easy read but is PACKED with good information! This book has great advice for those parents who are unsure of how to deal with a "temperamental toddler" or how to interpret various moods/signals of babies in general. Discusses how to do "loving regulation," and how to basically help you to raise kids in a ...more
Yana
Jan 21, 2014 Yana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ценна книга, която хвърля светлина върху различните етапи на израстване на детето. Дава практични насоки как да се справим в различни ситуации без да попада в модела "направи това и ще стане това". Не дава готови рецепти и оставя място за личността.

Имам забележки в частта с отбиването на детето. Съвета им детето да се отбие на годинка е неадекватен и малко противоречи на цялостата им концепция за напътствие съобразено с нуждите на детето.
Annie
Feb 03, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must for parents. It dispels the myth that the twos have to be terrible and provides moms and dads with the confidence to parent with--not against--your instincts. It is backed up by decades of experience by this husband and wife team of psychiatrists.
Alba
Jul 12, 2010 Alba rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All parents looking for positive discipline.
I read this book probably 4-5 years ago before I knew anything about attachment parenting. I remember liking it and thinking it was the best parenting book I had read thus far. I have meant to go back and re-read it now that I have adopted the attachment parenting style.
Spencer
Sep 25, 2009 Spencer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
This is one of the best parenting books I've ever read, helps me understand how a child develops better.
Amy Edwards
Sep 07, 2008 Amy Edwards rated it liked it
Discipline, not punishment. This is a great book for all parents who want to help their children learn self-discipline, in a loving (but not lenient) way.
Lubitsa Marcheva
Защото децата са любов!
Gina Robbins
Gina Robbins rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Tiffany
Jul 13, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really good for learning how kids need us to act like responsible adults!
Donna
Donna rated it it was ok
May 17, 2011
Loretta
Loretta rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it did not like it
Jul 20, 2012
Willa
Willa rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2010
Amanda Ball
Amanda Ball rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2013
Alexy
Alexy rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2014
Bethany Graham-
Bethany Graham- rated it did not like it
Feb 24, 2017
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2011
Brandy Goldberg
Brandy Goldberg rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Bug
Bug rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Ankush
Ankush rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2010
Benjamin J Raatz
Benjamin J Raatz rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2015
toni daphne jones
toni daphne jones rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Attached at the Heart: 8 Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children
  • The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative
  • Caring for Infants with Respect
  • Tribes: A New Way of Learning and Being Together
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
  • Brain-Based Parenting: The Neuroscience of Caregiving for Healthy Attachment
  • Waldorf Education: A Family Guide
  • Mother-Daughter Wisdom: Understanding the Crucial Link Between Mothers, Daughters, and Health
  • T.E.T., Teacher Effectiveness Training
  • Parenting for a Peaceful World
  • The 7 Worst Things Good Parents Do
  • Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline: The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict into Cooperation
  • The Aware Baby
  • This Isn't What I Expected: Overcoming Postpartum Depression
  • Raising Confident Girls: 100 Tips For Parents And Teachers
  • The Attachment Connection: Parenting a Secure & Confident Child Using the Science of Attachment Theory
  • Family Traditions
  • Discipline Without Distress: 135 Tools for Raising Caring, Responsible Children Without Time-Out, Spanking, Punishment, or Bribery
20339
Smart Love Press is just publishing my second children's book, Jilly"s Terrible Temper Tantrums: And How She Outgrew Them. The first was the award-winning Mommy, Daddy, I Had a Bad Dream! Jilly"s Terrible Temper Tantrums has won the Mom's Choice Gold Award!
I am the co-author with William J. Pieper, M.D. of the bestselling parenting book: Smart Love: The Comprehensive Guide to Understanding, Regula
More about Martha Heineman Pieper...