Bad as I Wanna Be

Bad as I Wanna Be

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  837 ratings  ·  61 reviews
A wild ride inside the glowing head of Dennis Rodman--the NBA's greatest rebounder and America's most outspoken and outrageous athlete.

When Sports Illustrated put the man they call "America's most provocative athlete" on their cover, they sold more copies than any other issue they had sold in a decade (except the swimsuit issue). Why? Because Dennis Rodman, superstar baske...more
Published May 12th 1997 by Dell (first published January 1st 1990)

Stephan van der Linde
Dennis Rodman's biography is honest, raw and some self-mockery.

This is one of the most honest biographies I read.
Of course, Rodman is a cult-hero, the best guard of the successfull Chicago Bulls in the 90's and the American Dream Team. But outside the NBA-court, controversial.

Rodman describes how he worked himself up in the hard NBA-world by working his guts out. From a lousy job at the airport in his tough childhood to one of the most successfull guards in the NBA-history.

Rodman is indignant,...more
Recently I read that "proud non-reader" Kanye West is publishing a book of his thoughts and philosophy. Learning this reminded me of the Dennis Rodman autobiography I read long ago. I have never had any interest in sports, and I think the main reason I asked for it was to see whether my parents would balk. (As you can see, I was a very rebellious teen.)

The most notable, hilarious feature of the book is that the font and size of the typeface changed multiple times per paragraph, for emphasis, emo...more
Crease
Typically with biographies, I'll have two on my bookshelf for each individual; the autobiography, and whichever is considered the definitive, best one as determined by aggregate Goodreads and Amazon ratings. It's always interesting to see how people view themselves, their accomplishments, trials and tribulations as compared with reality. With Dennis Rodman though, I figured this would be unnecessary simply because of his legendary candor and willingness to speak his mind. And I was right.

It's e...more
Paulo Glez Ogando
Flamboyant. This is the word I think better define Dennis Rodman. I have wanted to read this book for years; I always thought he was a pretty interesting character for both his behavior on and off court.

The book begins with a chapter in which Rodman evaluates to commit suicide. He is seated in his pick up handling a rifle and he has these thoughts. Finally he makes a decision: to be himself, let emerge his true personality, just how he is. It was 1992 (the book was published in 1997) and later h...more
Steven Salaita
I actually read this thing when I was a junior in college. I don't remember much about it other than Rodman discusses Madonna's proclivities in bed. The seemingly-unnecessary extra stars aren't for Rodman; they're for me for being stupid or ballsy enough to admit that I read a book by Dennis Rodman.
Christina
I read this book in high school. I actually found it really interesting. It covers everything from how he got into basketball to his relationship with Madonna.
Michael Ehrhardt
Bad as I Wanna Be is the autobiography of star player Dennis Rodman. The book begins with Dennis telling of his young childhood and being raised by a single mother. Dennis Keith Rodman was born in Trenton, New Jersey to Shirley and Philander Rodman Jr. After his father left the family (and eventually went on to father 27 other children) his mother and two sisters relocated to Texas where Rodman completed High School and worked overtime at Dallas Fort Worth International Airport. There he grew 14...more
Neal
This book didn't come CLOSE to my expectations, and I found it quite disappointing to be honest. Some random thoughts around it:

1. Dennis Rodman says "Bro" like 5000 times in this book. That was kind of surprising, as was his intense love for Pearl Jam, which is mentioned around 7-10 times.

2. The chapter on Madonna might have been the most interesting one.

A lot of this book focuses on a few different things:

- That Dennis Rodman is "misunderstood" - Yeah, we get that.

- That Dennis Rodman has to p...more
Chris
When I originally bought this book back in 1998, I was in 8th grade. I "had" to do a required book report for my middle school monthly assignment. However, trying to read this proved difficult and I eventually sold the book at a yard sale soon thereafter. I found the author's use of bad words to be very distasteful, but didn't know why he used them so often.

I just bought this book again as an audiobook from Audible, and now see the correlation. He was a very troubled kid who was just trying to "...more
Trudy
I can see where some people are going to be put off by this book and by what this man has to say about his life, but I found this book to be thought provoking and on a fundamental level... he makes sense.

I always thought DR was tough on the court and wild and crazy off the court, but in reading this book - I get him. Maybe not entirely, but I have a better understanding of where he is coming from. If you aren't a fan of the game or a fan of his era in basketball, I can see where you wouldn't app...more
Indah Threez Lestari
I'm a fan of 90's Bulls, and of course a great admirer of Michael Jordan. So it's no wonder if I have Michael Jordan's biography.

But Dennis Rodman's biography? Eww! It has the most provoked cover I've ever seen! Just a bike, 5 balls, and naked Rodman. LOL...

I'm not his fan, though. But I felt this book is a tool for him to throw up all his bitterness toward other NBA players and 'injustice' of NBA industries. He felt his contribution and skill was underrated and other players that he thought waa...more
Ashley
This was a nice throwback read for me. I would def. read an updated biography now that he is even crazier. I gotta say, this book isn't for non-basketball fans as he does talk quite a bit about b-ball. (Go figure). Some guys he talks about I know and others... guess they never made it great or I was just too young at the time to remember anyone other than the big names.
Tori
I am a little embarrased......that I am watching Celebrity Rehab and that it led me to buy this book and that I actually sort of enjoyed the book and especially that now I think I might even read his second book. I knew very little about Dennis Rodman before reading this book, and I know nothing and care nothing about basketball. There was way too much basketball talk in the book for me really, but I still mangaged to enjoy the book. It was a quick read. I liked that he appeared to be being brut...more
Lauren orso
this was absolutely a trashy celebrity autobiography, my favorite type, that makes me feel relieved i'm not a book editor or ghost writer. thousands of fonts of varying sizes and italices. but, dennis rodman and i have a lot in common, from hating to wear shoes to dating madonna, and so i trudge on.

my favorite thing about this genre is that they are always written before that person, 15 years later, goes on the apprentice, then celebrity rehab, then sober house. i've read that dr. drew thinks ro...more
Rachel
Mar 17, 2008 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: rodman enthusiasts
i used to adore dennis rodman. i'm going to venture that is the why of reading this in the first place. somewhere in there i still do. he made me not wanna hate the bulls dynasty (though the years he wasn't there paxson kept me hangin on). he wore make-up and dresses and i thought that was fucking cool. plus madonna totally wanted him, but i guess she wanted babies or something and he wasn't into that. i found this out in the book. he grew up poor and malnourished and also grew like 5 inches fro...more
Samuel
Not the most well-written book, but then again, anybody picking up a dennis rodman autobiography had better not be expecting much. I had to skip some sections though, it's pretty repetitive at times and I didn't really feel like learning the intimate details of he and madonna's relationship.However, for a basketball fan it is a pretty entertaining to say the least. However, Dennis Rodman is a truly- i guess you could say "unique" person and he actually makes a few interesting points here and the...more
Parvoneh
The book design for this is outrageous--so many fonts, so many sizes, so many blurry snapshots. The writing is pretty bad, it's poorly organized as a book, and there are some very repetitive chapters. Still, I am so fascinated with this book: with Dennis Rodman, and this ghostwriter, and how this book came to be. Is this Dennis Rodman's voice? From reading interviews, it seems fairly accurate. How do these insightful, if somewhat problematic, chapters on race and gender line up with a mostly sen...more
John G.
I enjoyed this book far more than I ever could have imagined. One of the better, if not the best, sports autobiographies I've read. This book is really about the battles of being a strong individual or conforming to the crowd, it drove Rodman almost to the point of taking his own life. Rodman strikes me as more intelligent and sensitive than I suspected, he actually has principles and integrity and backbone, certainly not a cookie cutter on or off the court. Really came away having a lot of resp...more
Reuben Alcatraz
I'm giving this 3 stars, mostly based on how FUCKING REVOLUTIONARY the typesetting is. It changes size and font multiple times per paragraph, so that when talking about how emotional he got when blocking Hakeem's shot in the 93 conference finals HE BROKED DOWN AND CRIED BRO. He broke down and CRIED.
Also, the guy fucked Madonna and is reeeally into Pearl Jam.
Great Beach read.
Rozman Mashor
This autobiography is a very simply written account of the life of NBA player Dennis Rodman. The work may be written to simplistically but the events of Dennis Rodmans first 40 years of life are enough to keep the avid basketball fan reading this book. I enjoyed this due to my bias support for Dennis as a 'different & weird' persona and the fact that rebounding in basketball is so damn fun!
Francois Pienaar
Dennis rodman shows a side of him that the public didn't expect. Ultimately a highly complex individual and super talented basketball player. This book chronicles the roller coaster of his early days with the pistons and spurs.
mairywo
I don't know, he just didn't seem that bad to me... A lot of me, me, me and not a lot of good, interesting writing. All I remember is him talking about listening to Pearl Jam in his car or before a game. I listen to them too, but don't see myself as very bad. So overall, nothing very exciting.
Pamela
I'd wanted to read this book since I was turned on by the cover when I saw it as a child. haha. The book doesn't dissapoint in fun facts and page turning shockers... but, I will say that he should've had more help writing it because he repeats himself and commends himself constantly.
Greg
Dennis Rodman is a professional athlete that was raised in poverty and racism, but wansn't able to leave his past behind him once he became a multi-million dollar athlete. Having money was more than Dennis could handle. Loosing his daughter from his side was what tore him apart.
Don Incognito
I read this book little by little at my library, and came to admire Dennis Rodman's thoughts on basketball enough that I'm very willing to ignore his ridiculous personal life). He was a great basketball player in the eighties mold.
Leanne  Curtis
Sep 17, 2008 Leanne Curtis rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: not even my worst enemy
This book is the biggest piece of crap ever published. I only read it because I'm a Madonna fan and there's a whole chapter on her. I only read that one chapter, I couldn't bear further torture.
Carie Parkin
Good book - quick read. Very interesting facts about Dennis. I read this book because I loved him and the Chicago Bulls!!! It certainly is not what I expected.
Bigdaddy Mike
dennis rodman was a crazy guy and he had a very eventful life
if you ever wanted to know anything about rodman then this would be a great book for you
Claudette
Jul 06, 2009 Claudette rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Claudette by: Ian
Good old curiosity was the prime motivator in reading the book. It made for good conversation topic at the time when Rodman was all the rage.
Phyllis
Oct 22, 2007 Phyllis rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the Rodmonian
I was living with my mom. She loved Rodman. She had this book. I read it. As my rating says, "it was OK." The cover may be the best part!
  • Driven from Within
  • Shaq Uncut: Tall Tales and Untold Stories
  • I Had a Hammer: The Hank Aaron Story
  • I May Be Wrong but I Doubt It
  • Sacred Hoops: Spiritual Lessons of a Hardwood Warrior
  • Can I Keep My Jersey?: Eleven Teams, Six Years, Five Countries, and My So-called Career as a Professional Basketball Player
  • Love and Marriage
  • The Art of a Beautiful Game: The Thinking Fan's Tour of the NBA
  • Playing for Keeps: Michael Jordan and the World He Made
  • The Miracle of St. Anthony: A Season with Coach Bob Hurley and Basketball's Most Improbable Dynasty
  • The Punch: One Night, Two Lives, and the Fight That Changed  Basketball Forever
  • When March Went Mad: The Game That Transformed Basketball
  • Shooting Stars
  • Tip Off: How the 1984 NBA Draft Changed Basketball Forever
Walk On The Wild Side I Should Be Dead by Now Rebound:: The Dennis Rodman Story Dennis and the Wild Bull Hodaj divljom stranom