Start by marking “Not a Chance” as Want to Read:
Not a Chance

Not a Chance

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,050 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
*Currently unavailable.*

At first glance, he seemed like a straight-laced, never told a lie in his life, good guy. Just goes to show - first impressions can be dead wrong.

Makayla should have listened to her instincts. She never should have accepted a date with him, she never should have continued seeing him, and she definitely shouldn't have started falling for him.

Image c
ebook

Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuireReaper's Legacy by Joanna WyldeThe King by J.R. WardUnbeloved by Madeline SheehanTwisted by Emma Chase
2014♥ cant wait!
163rd out of 967 books — 2,411 voters
Legal Briefs by N.M. SilberThe Edge of Always by J.A. RedmerskiWalking Disaster by Jamie McGuireThe Redemption of Callie & Kayden by Jessica SorensenLosing Hope by Colleen Hoover
Books I can't freaking wait for...
31st out of 127 books — 200 voters

More lists with this book...

K.A. Linde
Apr 05, 2012 K.A. Linde rated it it was amazing
I can't praise the work of Stephens enough! From someone who has been following her since Thoughtless was first released on fictionpress, I have to say that this book seriously pushes her writing to a new level. It's edgy and sexy, and you'll fall in love with the characters. The female lead has both the confidence and insecurities that every girl can relate to when it comes to guys, and Chance...just damn! He's smoldering, mysterious, and practically delectable. You don't want to skip out on th ...more
Sue
Jul 08, 2012 Sue rated it liked it
3.5 - 4 stars. I am pleasantly surprised that I couldn't put this book down. I downloaded the book for a later time but once I read the first part, I couldn't stop.

Yes, this is another romance starring a lead man with issues. And yes, we have our leading lady who is actually smart but of course falls for the bad boy. Why is it that bad boys are so attractive? In the course of our story of course the bad boy falls for the girl and gets in over his head. While it is fairly predictable (what book i
Jeanna-Has Probably Read It!
S.C. now you know I normally love your work buuuuttttt hun this was not the best to me. Makayla was the dumbest person. I guess, I just don't like the heroine to be all gungho about trying to track down the lead man. I just don't and she put herself in the position that she was in by going out with a convict in the first place. So, why all of a sudden she was upset that she got conned. She was the big dummy in the first place. Then my poor Chance all he needed was a break now he had to be lookin ...more
Helen
Jan 17, 2014 Helen rated it did not like it
i have read many of SC Stephen books and have enjoyed them all but i must say this was the worse book i have read in a long time...mainly due to the "heroine"...can anyone be more dumber than makalya?? she started off fiesty and strong but as the story progressed she turned stupid...she is an unbelievably weak and dumb character...i had a hard time finishing this book but did so because i have enjoyed SC Stephens other stories...i was just disappointed in this story :(
Zoe Liew
Jul 07, 2012 Zoe Liew rated it did not like it
Badly written. Plot was way too draggy, characters felt stereotypical. Good girl who wants to reform tortured bad boy who lives a life of crime. Fixer-uppers don't really work. Relationships like that just don't work.

Because when the thrill of fixing someone is gone, then the relationship's over.

And Chance just felt way too sappy.

This story is overdone and overcooked. Read this if you want, but you'll prefer Stephens's Thoughtless books.
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Feb 12, 2012 Jenny - TotallybookedBlog rated it really liked it
Another SC Stephens book that didn't disappoint. I just love this author.

She has the ability to bring characters to life and really immerse you in the story and this book did just that.

Can't wait for the second book because I am dying to know how this will all end up.

Alex
Aug 24, 2012 Alex rated it did not like it
This book is awful. Makayla, the protagonist is so dumb and naive it's frustrating to read. I love S.C. Stephens but this book does not do her justice. Don't read it you'll just put it down and walk away halfway through.
Maria
Feb 01, 2013 Maria rated it did not like it
I just could not stand any if these characters! They were so unrealistic. It was like sweet valley high trying to act tough. I hated it.
Renee
Sep 02, 2012 Renee rated it really liked it
Well another fabulous book by Miss Stephens!! I loved my summers in New Hampshire and Plymouth was a second home to me. I truly enjoyed the scenery as it was described. Mikayla works at the main bank in the town of Plymouth with her best friend Neil. Mikayla was just such a good person and that hurt me when she met Chance. I loved her best friend Neil and how they had each others back. Neil was gay and in a sort of secret relationship with Adrian who also lived in Plymouth. Poor Neil had his hea ...more
♥♥Deborah♥♥ Is A Brian Kinney Groupie
First...I love S.C. Stephens.

Not A Chance took me over a week to finish. Not that it wasn't a good story — it was just drawn out too long.

I'm not really a fan of beginning a story at the end and backtracking. I prefer the build-up to the end, so my rating reflects my preference of writing style and not the actual story itself.

I was annoyed with Makayla and her naivety. She put herself and Colton at unnecessary risk (constantly). I know...I'm sympathizing with a criminal, but I really believe h
Miss Kim
This is quite a frustrating book! I liked the premise of it—guy cons girl for a crime, but ends up falling for her. However, as the story went on, and Chance kept lying to Makayla, it started to piss me off. There was no way he was going to get her to forgive him when she finds out the truth. In the end, that is just what happens. There is no HEA! It ends with a ‘maybe there will be a book two’ feeling, but who knows?
They are supposed to be in their 30’s but they both of them thought and reacted
Sara
Aug 19, 2012 Sara rated it it was ok
Ok , so first off I love SC Stephens. This particular book I just couldn't get into. I'm not going to compare it to Thoughless/Effortless because those are in a league of their own *love them-*. I needed more. More background on Chance, I know he was a con man, but there wasn't much describing his past. Mackayla, all I know about her is she is a wanna be cop, currently bank teller. No dating life. The relationship, if you can call it that, lacked. Sorry but I couldn't get engaged in the story. I ...more
Say
Feb 13, 2012 Say rated it really liked it
Shelves: february-2012
ok i liked this one, not as amazing as thoughtless and effortless (i guess nothing can beat those two extraordinary stories) but still worth your time. i like the complexities of the two main characters and the reason why i can't put it down is i wanted to find out how these two characters would beat up the odds of their relationship. and what an ending! for sure there would be a second book, if not i'll probably die thinking what might have been....=)
Finn
Feb 09, 2012 Finn rated it did not like it
I picked up this book because of the cover. Well, I guess it served me right for judging a book by its cover:( There was no real action (of any kind) and the dialogue between h/H was pretty boring. Plus the book dragged on for too long.
Stacey
Jul 30, 2012 Stacey rated it it was amazing
What a great book - couldn't stop reading it. I hope to here more from S.C. Stephens in a sequal to find out if she can find Chance again??
Madison Seidler
Aug 15, 2012 Madison Seidler rated it really liked it
Read this and other reviews at Madison Sayst

Not A Chance was my most recent S.C. Stephens read - and again, another great storyline with multi-dimensional characters and a pretty intense plot. This book is the perfect example of creating likable characters, even when they are so faulted you most certainly shouldn't be rooting for them.

"Chance had spent his entire life running from the truth. And now truth would be his downfall."

Chance, a lifetime conman, seduces Makayla in order to get an 'in' a
Nina
Jan 04, 2012 Nina rated it really liked it
I liked this story. The fact that Chance actually fell for the mark but couldn't come clean with Makayla was maddening. Although, I think that if he did come clean he'd have lost her for sure. Makayla is a very intuitive girl. I loved that she was able to put two and two together (albeit after the fact)and that even though she was spot on, she never knew it for sure. (Smart cookie)I would like to have heard more on Adrian and Neil backstories but its all good. Can't wait to read the next book! I ...more
Ayush
May 30, 2014 Ayush rated it it was amazing
What can I say? This type of books always interest me.

By the way, cliffhanger alert. I would recommend this to all but...
Meghan
Sep 08, 2012 Meghan rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh
Has it's moments, but for the most part the lead female is flakey and I am unable to believe she could ever be a cop, push-ups or no push-ups. There's one scene where she tells a female police officer that "I'm going to work here" and the officer responds that they need more strong women on the force or something along those lines... I couldn't help but imagine that officer was actually thinking of the title of this book. Which also applies to whether I will read the next book in this series.

Tha
April
Oct 17, 2012 April rated it it was ok
Was Makayla really that stupid? How could she fall for all that Chance were to bring her? I don't get it. I really enjoyed the story. I loved how she believed in the good but at the same time her hunger for justice got a bit annoying. I understand that the fact why she fell for Colton so soon also had to deal with the fact that she was "neglected" (as the author put it). But come one sweetheart!!!! Lol.

SPOILER!!!
Bounty hunter?! Really!? To chase Chance!? WTH? Too much for me. First story I don't
DIGZ
Nov 09, 2014 DIGZ rated it liked it
This book started out well and was an interesting, light read. Without giving anything away, it is a complicated and different relationship. I would have rated it higher but darn it, I need closure! I felt that I was left hanging :(
Cavi
Jun 15, 2012 Cavi rated it liked it
i Love SC STEPHENS, she really is one of my favorite authors, because she has a knack for expressing love in a realistic way. This book on the other hand, was not realistic and it was a bit annoying at times, the ending was too cliche an i felt like tearing my eyes out *SPOILER ALERT* Who the hell becomes a bounty hunter to chase after a man they love, for the name of "justice", it was just tooo much. Too annoying, Too cliche...and just too much! BUT I LOVE SC STEPHENS she just didnt do it for m ...more
Jessica
Aug 28, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
I would give this book 2 1/2 stars. I love some of her other books so I thought I would give this a try. I was a little disappointed. I liked it but it seemed drawn out and I'm all about the happy endings. It would have been nice for an epilog where she finds him and they live happily ever after somehow. I was also a little surprised with the whole bounty hunter thing - not a bad twist but it seems a little too Stephanie Plum for me. All in all not a bad read by any means. I still love you S.C. ...more
Margit Sage
Jan 13, 2012 Margit Sage rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I really enjoyed the first half of this book (or maybe as much as 75-80%), but then I thought it went downhill during the climax. I really didn't like some of the interactions of the characters after the climax. I felt like they were forced, which is SO different from most of Stephens's writing. It was a real disappointment. It sounds like there's going to be a sequel, which I'll probably read, to see if the characters can redeem themselves. If anyone can turn things around, I trust Stephens can ...more
~*~Brooke's Stripped Down Reviews~*~
Wow, I was surprised this book was free. I was hooked after the Prologue, and couldn't put it down the rest of the way. Once I thought I knew what was going to happen, there was a change in plans. I was getting nervous at the end but I'm not disappointed at all. I hope there's more to read about Makayla and Chance (and even Neil and Adrian)! I'm really impressed with this author and looking forward to reading her other books!
Samantha Stanfield
Apr 20, 2015 Samantha Stanfield rated it really liked it
Slow in Parts But Definitely A good Quick Read..
Sheila
Jul 06, 2012 Sheila rated it liked it
It was ok. Bad Boy + good girl; can she convince him to change. Will he do it for love? And of course the other bad guys (the really bad ones) ruin it by complicating the matter. But then again, what would a book be without conflict? I would have liked to have learned a bit more about Adrian and what went down with him. It will be interesting to see what the next book holds. Hopefully the chase is a bit more exciting.
Nicole
Aug 29, 2012 Nicole rated it it was ok
Jen [BestSellers & BestStellars]
I really enjoyed this book. After reading Thoughtless and Effortless, I decided to read another one of S.C. Stephen's books. I was not disappointed. I couldn't put this book down, unless I absolutely had to. I really liked Chance and Makayla, I definitely hope that there's a continuation to this book. I would like to see how things continue for Chance and Makayla!
Sylvie
Feb 06, 2012 Sylvie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: s-c-stephens
An interesting twist on trust in a relationship. Another great read from this author although a bit different from the others. what is fun in this one is that the prologue is set around the ending of the story and you spend the first half of the book reading how they got there. Plus the ending leaves a lot of possibilities for sequels. Definitely recommend.
Where do I get them?!?! 10 134 Jan 02, 2013 03:51PM
  • Love Unguarded (Love, #3)
  • Do Not Go Gentle
  • Rocked Out (Rocked, #2)
  • Igniting Lies (Burning, #1)
  • For All the Right Reasons
  • Fighting to Stand (Disastrous, #2.5)
  • Untitled (The Dark Duet Spinoff)
  • Bent (Connections, #5)
  • Lucky Me
  • Forgiving Trinity
  • Depravity
  • Jadeite (Jaded, #3.1)
  • My Life for Yours (Crawford, #3)
  • Options
  • To Fix You
  • Rock Me Slowly (Buried Alive Rockers, #1)
  • Sharing You (Sharing You, #1)
  • Unwritten Rules
S.C. Stephens is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author who enjoys spending every free moment she has creating stories that are packed with emotion and heavy on romance.

Her debut novel, Thoughtless, an angst-filled love triangle charged with insurmountable passion and the unforgettable Kellan Kyle, took the literary world by storm. Amazed and surprised by the response to the release of
More about S.C. Stephens...