Start by marking “Mischief and Mistletoe” as Want to Read:
Mischief and Mistletoe

Mischief and Mistletoe

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  502 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
1 She Stoops to Wenchdom by Mary Jo Putney - Vicar's "little angel" daughter Lucinda Richards 22 disguises as tavern girl Lacey for back from wars Captain Gregory Kenmore.
2 Miss Brockhurst's Christmas Campaign by Jo Beverley - Penelope competes with debutante for Cherryholt heir Ross Skerries.
3 Intrigue and Mistletoe by Joanna Bourne - Elinor Pennington is found by Jack
Published September 25th 2012 by Zebra (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mischief and Mistletoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mischief and Mistletoe

A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLeanA Night Like This by Julia QuinnThief of Shadows by Elizabeth HoytThe Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer AshleyA Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare
2012 Historical Romance Novels
121st out of 266 books — 672 voters
Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasA Wallflower Christmas by Lisa KleypasThe Duke's Match Girl by Lila DiPasquaA Mackenzie Family Christmas by Jennifer AshleyA Christmas Promise by Mary Balogh
Historical Christmas/Winter Romance
72nd out of 188 books — 150 voters

More lists with this book...

kris
Oct 24, 2014 kris rated it liked it
I was a little frustrated by a few things (the fact that every inn was "The _____ Wench"; the awkward Christmas "theme"), but Intrigue and Mistletoe and The Mistletoe Bride were pretty stand-out. I highly recommend checking them out if you're in the mood for a. Christmas stories; b. short stories; c. Joanna Bourne KICKING ASS; d. Anne Gracie leaving you wanting more.

She Stoops to Wenchdom, Mary Jo Putney
Lucy Richards has got a crush on Gregory Kenmore!! OMG!! He went away to war 5 years ago and
Susan
Jul 20, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
She Stoops to Wenchdom - Mary Jo Putney

Lucy is the daughter of a vicar who has been in love with one of her father's former students since she was seventeen. She hadn't seen Gregory in five years, until she encountered him at a Christmas celebration. She was heartbroken when he didn't recognize her, and dismayed when he left right after dancing with her. Gregory was surprised to see what a beauty his old friend had grown into. He is drawn to her sweetness and innocence, but after five years at w
Ilze
Jun 25, 2015 Ilze rated it really liked it
Jo Beverley's story is very good (4+ stars), Mary Jo Putney's and Anne Gracie's stories are pleasant enough but too short (3 stars), but Joanna Bourne's is very hard to follow (2 stars). Susan King's and Cara Elliott's stories are delightful, given the short format, and so are Nicola Cornick's and Patricia Rice's - 4 stars for all of them.
Desi
Jun 21, 2016 Desi rated it really liked it
Great collaboration. All are acceptable stories and some were quite grand or sweet. It is rare to have an anthology where only one or two of the tales were a struggle to get through. Definitely worth purchasing.
Amy
Apr 01, 2016 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte
Putney, 3stars. Heroine disguises herself as barwench to attract war hero. Clunky dialogue, too simplistic plot.
Beverley, 2stars. Barely qualifies as a romance, as the plot is heroine squaring off with rival for bland, barely-there hero's affections, not about the couple at all. Yet the resolution has the rival dissappearing off page, while on page the hero and heroine says their Iloveyous. Very poor.
Bourne, 4stars. Very good. Slow reveal of characters stranded at inn during snowstorm, with a F
Sandi Layne
I won a copy of this book from the publisher in a Goodreads drawing and will be reviewing three of the short stories herein for Steamy Guys After Dark.

Wench in Wonderland

For Wench in Wonderland, the premise is simple: Damaris Bedloe, Our Heroine, is companion to her cousin, Lady Alice, daughter of a widowed earl. Alice is in love with a man her father does not approve of, so the earl will marry her to a man he does approve.

The problem is, Alice elopes with her own choice of man while on the way
Cindy
Dec 18, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
It used to be a publisher would take 2 or 3 novellas & bring them out for Christmas. You'd have stories that were short, but somewhat satisfying in character developement & content. Now you have EIGHT very short stories stuffed into ONE book!! Not very satisfying at all. I give this book 3 stars for the 3 or 4 stories I most liked.

Mary Jo Putney - 3 stars. interesting story, but TOO short!

Jo Beverley - 4 stars. She finds it very difficult to write a boring story! You never know what R
Ana T.
I have a great fondness for those traditional regency anthologies that publishers used to put out every holiday season (as you can see from my anthologies index) and when I discovered that this anthology was going to be published I was naturally happy and eager to get my hands on it. I am sorry to say that it didn't entirely work for me, some stories I enjoyed, others not so much. I think one of the problems is that some of them seemed to short - or the author was unable to develop characters an ...more
Kimberly
Dec 16, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Mischief and Mistletoe is a collection of historical fiction romances set around the Yuletide season. This was a delightful collection and while I had favorites I can honestly say I enjoyed each and every tale by these talented authors

She Stoops to Wenchdom by Mary Jo Putney shares the story of a damaged young man’s return from war and that of a young woman who goes to extremes to get his attention. It was sweet, funny and made me feel warm and fuzzy.

Miss Brockhurst’s Christmas Campaign by Jo Be
Loredana Adriana
I read the Romanian version of this holiday romance collection, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. Some of these 8 stories I really enjoyed and I thought were well-written. What I hadn't expected, though, was not liking the stories written by M.J. Putney and Jo Beverley. They were sappy and forced and the characters were just too plain for me. However, the other stories in the colleciton were really good and enticing. I'll post a more in-depth review as soon as possible, since this is a 4-sta ...more
Pretty Sassy Cool
Sep 21, 2014 Pretty Sassy Cool rated it really liked it
4 stars.

Opening at a holiday ball, Mary Jo Putney expeditiously puts us in the time and mindset for this short romance. We are introduced to Lucy Richards, Our Heroine, with dispatch. This daughter of a vicar is quick to sketch out the character for Our Hero, Gregory Kenmore, through the loving memory of Our Heroine as she tells her friend Chloe just why she, Lucy, is still in love with the fellow.

When they are re-introduced to one another, Lucy is mortified when Gregory seems not to remember he
Gmc
Jan 28, 2014 Gmc rated it it was amazing

Mischief and Mistletoe an anthology by eight great authors Anne Gracie, Nicola Cornick, Patricia Rice, Mary Jo Putney, Jo Beverley, Joanna Bourne, Susan Fraser King, Cara Elliot.

SHE STOOPS TO WENCHDOM by Mary Jo Putney ** vicar's daughter who pretends to be a saucy wench
MISS BROCKHURST'S CHRISTMAS CAMPAIGN by Jo Beverley ** a spirited lady who sets out to save her rakish best friend from an unsuitable engagement
INTRIGUE AND MISTLETOE by Joanna Bourne ** a spy who gets the unexpected chance to wi
An Odd1
Nov 10, 2014 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
1 She Stoops to Wenchdom by Mary Jo Putney 5* Realistic, sad and glad
Vicar's "little angel" p 9 daughter Lucinda Richards 22 meets infatuation of five years ago Captain Gregory Kenmore at ball. Feeling worthless after Spain campaign, he runs from her. She wears dark wig to be barmaid Lacey at local tavern and lend sympathetic ear "I've sat with the sick and dying" p 35, but flees after first kiss.

2 Miss Brockhurst's Christmas Campaign by Jo Beverley 5* fun, challenge
Mannish Penelope Brockhu
Dls
Oct 10, 2012 Dls rated it really liked it
I am not a big fan of anthologies but this one is really nice. The authors are all Word Wench bloggers and their interest in historical fidelity really shows.
Gerrie
Jan 12, 2013 Gerrie rated it really liked it
The short stories by Anne Gracie, Mary Jo Putney, and Jo Beverley were solid 4 - 4.5 star reads for me, and I'm giving the book 4 stars based on those three stories.
Susannah Carleton
Jan 14, 2015 Susannah Carleton rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. All the stories were good, but I most enjoyed Mary Jo Putney's, Patricia Rice's, and Anne Gracie's.
Kathy Jund
Oct 20, 2012 Kathy Jund rated it really liked it
Tales of Mischief during the Christmas season!

Mischief and Mistletoe is the wondrous collaboration of eight women known as the “Word Wenches”, a group of highly talented authors who often can be found on the New York Times and USA Today bestsellers lists. These fine women have come together to bring forth their own flair for storytelling with a Christmas twist. Mary Jo Putney, Jo Beverly, Joanna Bourne, Patricia Rice, Nicola Cornick, Cara Elliott, Anne Gracie and Susan King will capture your hea
Lord Rose
As with most anthologies, there were some stories I liked and some I didn't. And although I've enjoyed books by most of these authors, I'm not sure they're all particularly good at writing short stories.

Mary Jo Putney's story was pretty fun, although the heroine, a vicar's daughter, dressing up and helping at the tavern seemed a bit dumb. It would only take one person recognizing her for her reputation to be in ruins, and wigs can fall off, especially if you're moving around a lot (as she was).

J
Julie Barrett
Nov 15, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
Mischief and Mistletoe by Mary Jo Putney, Jo Beverley and 6 others
Each of the 6 stories is Christmas themed and about 50 pages long. Historical English at Christmas time, balls, huge festivities, plays,
Stories tend to be a woman seeking a man that has crossed her life in earlier years, it's Christmas time and the want the magical and mystical part of it all.
Really enjoyed reading of all the themed locations, I can just see all the lighted candles in each window upon driving up to the house. Thes
Melanie Adkins
Jan 17, 2014 Melanie Adkins rated it it was amazing
The season may have ended by the calendar, but with these lovely authors, we can continue to enjoy the romance. Eight stories show us the Christmas season is one of love and romance. Each unique in it's telling, these stories will warm your heart and keep you smiling. They are very well written by some of the biggest names in romance. The characters are ones you will be rooting for. I highly recommend these stories for any day of the year!

I found no issues with these books.

I gave this book 5
Mary Craven
Apr 05, 2016 Mary Craven rated it it was amazing
I have fallen in love with the story telling of all the Word Wenches. I found The Last Chance Ball this past Christmas and could not wait to get a copy of this earlier Word Wench anthology. I especially loved Anne Gracie's The Mistletoe Bride. It makes me wish that it, and every short story, could be revised into a complete novel. Think of all the wonderful details!
Megan
Dec 22, 2014 Megan rated it liked it
This one only gets 3 stars for Joanna Bourne's story, Intrigue and Mistletoe, which was really good. I mean, spies and Christmas, what could go wrong? Even better, the heroine made her living by writing dirty Latin poetry that translated into boring, stuffy English. The rest of the ones I actually read were either really boring or had potential but we're waaaay too short.
Fedora
Jul 04, 2015 Fedora rated it it was amazing
Excellent Regency collection of holiday themed stories. I did not love all eight of them equally, but all were well done, and Joanna Bourne's Intrigue and Mistletoe was a standout. A lovely variety to be enjoyed any time of year :)
Donna Brown
Mar 01, 2015 Donna Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency-romance
It's cold. It's snowy. And, it's time for a fireplace and some romance. So I picked up this book and was transported into another era. Who wouldn't rate best selling writers who make the season come alive with a group of wenches!
Christy
Dec 17, 2013 Christy rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Very meh. I like several of these authors but this is not a particularly good collection. I actually admire the concept of giving each of the Word Wenches a story, but there must have been too stringent a length limit because all of the stories feel too short. My favorite was the one by Anne Gracie, but it leaped so abruptly from set-up to undying love that I had to check to be sure I hadn't missed a few pages. Joanna Bourne's packed so much backstory into a single paragraph that it left me dizz ...more
My Book Addiction and More MBA
MISCHIEF AND MISTLETOE by Mary Jo Putney,Jo Beverley, Joanna Bourne,Patricia Rice,Nicola Cornick,Cara Elliott,Anne Gracie, and Susan King is an interesting Regency historical romance. Eight wonderful authors write eight delicious Regency stories. "Mischief and Mistletoe" is full of mischief,passion,romance,Christmastide,and love. If you enjoy Regency romance you will enjoy this collection of stories. Received for an honest review from the publisher. For more details visit the author's website,Ke ...more
Jun 28, 2016 Sarah rated it did not like it
Short stories linked by the word "wench" and mistletoe. All but one (the one by Rice) had really poorly written plots or extremely dislikable characters.
Catherine
Oct 26, 2015 Catherine rated it liked it
This was an OK book, but the stories were too short. Hard to get interested in them. In every story the girl falls in love in a few days. Come on.. No meat to. The stories.
Lilia Stephens
Nov 10, 2015 Lilia Stephens rated it it was amazing
Lots of fun. Romantic and funny short stories! Very amusing and with lots of fun facts from the past. Well written. Enjoy !
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • All I Want For Christmas is a Duke
  • A Texas Christmas
  • A Regency Christmas II
  • Gift-Wrapped Governess: Christmas at Blackhaven Castle / Governess to Christmas Bride / Duchess by Christmas
  • A Grosvenor Square Christmas
  • An Invitation to Sin
  • Snowbound Wedding Wishes: An Earl Beneath the Mistletoe\Twelfth Night Proposal\Christmas at Oakhurst Manor
  • Wish List (Capital Theatre #2.5)
  • His Mistletoe Bride
  • A Bride By Christmas: Home For Christmas\ The Wise Virgin\ Tumbleweed Christmas
  • Five Golden Rings: A Christmas Collection
  • A Highlander Christmas
  • Once Upon a Ballroom
  • Snowflakes and Stetsons
  • Christmas Brides
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, #4.5)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
She writes young adult fiction as M.J. Putney.

Mary Jo Putney was born in Upstate New York with a reading addiction, a condition for which there is no known cure. After earning degrees in English Literature and Industrial Design at Syracuse University, she did various forms of design work in California and England before inertia took over in Baltimore, Maryland, where she has lived very comfortably
More about Mary Jo Putney...