Start by marking “The Scargill Cove Case Files (Arcane Society, #9.5 & Looking Glass Trilogy, #0.5)” as Want to Read:

The Scargill Cove Case Files (The Arcane Society #9.5)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  1,847 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
As the director at Jones & Jones, a psychical investigation agency, Fallon Jones solves crimes of a different nature. Jones’s latest case involves a body found in the basement vault of a local bookstore, and scratchings on the inside of the door that seem to be a coded message.
ebook
Published December 6th 2011 by Penguin Group (USA)

Melindeeloo
(Here's my tweet: 3 stars since it's free, but Arcane Society newbies don't start here.)

When the new owner of the bookstore in Fallon Jone's home town asks for help with a spirit haunting the store, Jone's patterning talent - and penchant for conspiracies - is going to lead Fallon to a deeper discovery than the how the body ended up locked in the vault in the basement.

A freebie for avid Arcane Society fans who might have missed this in it's previous incarnation, this is the first time published
Mojca
Don't let the rating fool you. I liked this one. It was just too short, and written as a case file (from Fallon Jones' point of view), and I didn't really know how to rate it, so I took the middle ground.

It was great revisiting Fallon again, since I have a soft spot for this chaos theorist. And for Scargill Cove where the man's hearth is.

The narrative style offered a special glimpse into the man's psyche and thinking patterns (he was a hoot in this one), we're presented with a small investigatio
Laura the Highland Hussy
This is a freebie.

It's a short read about a case that Fallon Jones is working on. This won't really be a good one to read unless you've read a couple books in the series.

It fits between Fired Up and In Too Deep
Delta
Jun 16, 2015 Delta marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Delta by: J.D.
Free 06-16-15 (Arcane Society short story)

Tasha Turner
I remember loving this series when it first came out. I don't know if its the short story or the "report" style but it didn't have the magic previous stories in the series have had for me. It's still a good story it just didn't blow me away.
Pat Weston
41 pages. Not worth the bother reading this.
Caridad Laack
Too short

this is th first f the Scargill Cove case files that I have read. Too short to really grasp much about character and story development. Reads like a case diary; therefore, it's tre to the story formula. Caught my interest about this PI. Liked the plot line and the fact that the entire story was presented in few entries.
Not enough to say I would recommend reading more books on tis series. Will look up some of the other books before I give my opinion.
Abigail
Dec 09, 2016 Abigail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Fallon. I would read all of his journals.
Kathy
Just a nibble

This very short novella is #9.5 in the Arcane series. What could have been the beginnings of a full-blown novel is just a glimpse at Fallon and Isabella, the main characters of In Too Deep. Fallon has been featured in other books as a minor but important character. It was cool to get a little personal peek at him in these few chapters. Can't wait to get more of the story in the next book.
Deborah Almada
Oct 04, 2016 Deborah Almada rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspence
A nice little tie in piece between two longer books in her Arcane series!!!!
Oct 06, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Arcane Society fans
Actual rating should probably be about two stars, but I'm giving it an extra since it was a freebie.

This story apparently started out as a series of tweets by the character Fallon Jones, and that's exactly what it reads like: a series of tweets.

I can imagine that reading them on twitter would have been a lot more entertaining that reading them all conglomerated in one short story. The end result was a bit too choppy. But, as I love the world and the characters in Ms. Krentz's Arcane Society nove
Lbousson
Book #9.5 Arcane Society; Looking Glass Trilogy #0.5

When I downloaded and read this book, I had no idea I was being plopped down into the middle of a series. It, quite frankly, was a bit unnerving to say the least. I wasn't sure exactly what was going on here. Are all the books written this way? If so, I'll pass. This story is written like a diary/journal, with the preface of a memo. Ir chronicles a mystery that the detective is following. (I assume.) I really am not sure what the author is want
Michelle Randall
This book is in the Acrane Society series, and is actually kinda in between two other books. It part of the Looking Glass Trilogy, sort of after the last Acrane Society book, the Hawaii adventure, and before the first book of the Looking Glass Trilogy. It is really just the publication of notes and journals of the head of the west coast office of Jones and Jones.

I've read reviews that didn't like it for that matter, but for myself I loved it for being the inside look into e mind of a jones. It w
Lori
Dec 17, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this kindle e-book, Very short story, for what it was; a brief, but closer look into Fallon Jones, the man, and an interesting side story that gives us a little more info on Scargill Cove as well.
He is so often a background character in the Arcane series, but, a very important one. He Is a Jones after all; and not just Any Jones, but the head of J & J.
I was really excited when Jayne Ann Krentz finally wrote Fallon's story! He reminded me more of the early Jones men, than any of her
Lizabeth Tucker
If you can get this book for free, it might be worthwhile, but don't pay for it. This is the printed version of a Twitter mystery called "Death in a Bookstore", a small case that occurs just before In Too Deep. Fallon Jones is asked by the new bookstore owner, Fitch, to investigate what happened in his store before he bought it. Once the former owner is discovered in the basement, Fallon begins pulling together the threads of the mystery, stumbling across another possible conspiracy.

The rest of
Sue Lyssa Stone Shaffer
The Arcane Society series is a MUST read for fans of mysteries, paranormals & romance. The stories move seamlessly from past to present to future. They lead you to the world of Zinnia, Orchid, Amaryllis & Copper Beach.

The logic & science work. The character work is effective & the dialog snappy. Jayne Ann Krentz to Amanda Quick, whichever name she writes under the humor & grace are the same. She has a deft hand with exploring the similarities & the differences between hum
CamryWagon
As other reviewers have mentioned, this book is a published version of Krentz's Twitter story that she gave us a few months before In Too Deep was released.

I rated this only three stars because in book format the story doesn't work as well as as it did when it was presented on Twitter, with only one or two paragraphs revealed each day. I suppose if you could stand to read just a paragraph a day, you might be able to duplicate the suspense. I had the Twitter feed sent via SMS to my phone, so it w
Ursula Gorman
Well, I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't this. Short, choppy, journal type story. It is as if you are reading someone's daily journal, or a journal written in whenever the author gets around to it.
This isn't anything that I've come to expect from Jayne Ann Krentz, but discarding that, it wasn't bad.
It is very short, but tells a complete story with minimum effort. It is a good tie in to the book featuring Fallon. I would have to say that it is too short, but any longer in this style of
Katy M
Jul 11, 2014 Katy M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A treat every time.
I never put spoilers in my reviews.
I so enjoy all her books, by all her selves, in this far reaching series and the side series spawned, as well.
Ms. Krentz, Castle, Quick, you have the storytelling talent. Not all authors do, not even some of the best.
Every time I sit, OK, lie down, with one of your books I simply have to force myself to put it down for any reason; eating, for example. Your characters are well drawn and complete, the background believable, the storylines uniqu
Ami
This was a little tedious as it was like coming across and reading someone's diary entries that you don't know very well if at all and learning more than you should have. Which is exactly what happened actually since I hadn't read any of the Arcane Society books before. Still, I'm a Krentz fan, even if I haven't read any of her work in a few years and I enjoy the paranormal aspect. It was that and the authors name that attracted me when I came across this as a freebie. I'm intrigued enough with ...more
Joanne
Feb 06, 2013 Joanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, own
I picked up this short story for free and read it after reading Fired Up. It's about Fallon Jones the psychic detective of Jones and Jones, and in it he has been requested by the owner of a book store to investigate the weird sensations he is feeling there. The previous owner had mysteriously disappeared after selling the business, and Fallon does feel that something is a little off in the store. Apparently, however, the current owner also has an ulterior motive for asking him to investigate the ...more
Sheila Melo
Aug 09, 2014 Sheila Melo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Promotional Book

Promotional Book

This book is a promotional book that serves as an introduction to IN TOO DEEP. It collects a series of Twitter messages that tell the story of a case that Fallon Jones investigates and solves. It is a small story but as the purpose is promotion and the book is free, the story is a nice introduction and has a complete story. Fallon is such an interesting character that I was happy to get another glimpse into his activities.
Maria
Sep 13, 2016 Maria rated it liked it
The first thing I downloaded on my new Nook, it was free and . . . too short! Still, it was a good bridge between the last two books in the Arcane series (contemporary times) with a few offshoots to the Eclipse Bay series and a fun read. It is, after all, a short story. Unfortunately there are very few characters and little time for involvement in their lives, something I always look forward to in a JAK. I would not recommend it to anyone who hasn't been following the Arcane series pretty closel ...more
Mary
Aug 19, 2014 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can't say if it is a really good or bad book because honestly its not really a "book" which is why I only gave it two stars. Nor do I think it should be described as a "Case File:. To me it reads more like journal entries rather than a file. In my small opinion it would have been better if it had been put at the beginning of In Too Deep since that is Fallon's story. And I don't mean as another Prologue since it isn't attached to the story but just a case file/journal entry before the story.
Jackie
The Scargill Case Files is a short story (44 pages) written as if Fallon Jones were writing up the record of a recent investigation. The new owner of the local bookstore wants him to find the source of an “odd feeling”. Fallon finds the cause and the reason. It will be interesting to see if there are any more “Case Files” to be discovered. I appreciated the note explaining that this story took place just before the beginning of In Too Deep.
Linda
Jul 14, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-psychic
I love the Arcane books, so any little story around them usually ranks high on my list. The story would have to be horrible, and in this case it was free so I could not complain. I know others did not enjoy it, but I did since we are talking Fallon and notes. It was written as of someone jotted these down as part of keeping track of the cases so no, the intent wasn't to write it like a book. It was short, but I enjoyed it and it gives you a little background on meeting Isabella.
Darlene
Jul 30, 2014 Darlene rated it it was ok
I didn't realize that Jayne Ann Krentz writes supernatural books under that name as I thought those were written under the name Jayne Castle or I would have never picked this book to read as I don't care for those books. Once I found this was that type of book I tried to rea it but just could not get into it. To me it just dragged on with no point. Maybe the score I gave was a bit low for such an accomplished writer but that is how I felt.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Dec 15, 2011 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Arcane series
I just heard about this amazon-kindle freebie...did you?

Turns out this is the collection of twitter posts that I read on Krentz' website already. It is really a look inside of Mr. Jones.

Fun for those who have not already read them. Action takes place just before In Too Deep.
Kasey Riley
Not her best...

I am not certain if it was the "journal" style of writing, or the somewhat jumbled story, but this short was not to my taste. Normally I enjoy her works, especially the Arcane and other paranormal stories. There was just something wrong with this one. Since it was unlike any of her other novels... I will not pre- judge any other of her works by this particular novel.
Walter Price
Dec 25, 2014 Walter Price rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poor advertisement

Tried a novella to get acquainted with this author. Very disappointed. The story is only 40% of an already very short book. Even worse, it wasn't worth reading. The rest of the book was two samples of full books.

If the goal was to gain readers, this is a failure.
  • Canyons of Night (Rainshadow, #0; Ghost Hunters, #8; Looking Glass Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #12)
  • The Third Circle (Arcane Society, #4)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Grave Danger
  • Clearwater Journals
  • Corporate Affair
  • The Value of Life
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...

The Arcane Society (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Second Sight (Arcane Society, #1)
  • White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • The Third Circle (Arcane Society, #4)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
  • The Perfect Poison (Arcane Society, #6)
  • Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7; Dreamlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8; Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)
  • Midnight Crystal (Ghost Hunters, #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)