Start by marking “Pokemon Black and White, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Pokemon Black and White, Volume 1

Pokemon Black and White, Volume 1 (Pokemon Black and White #1)

Meet Pokemon Trainers Black and White White has a burgeoning career as a Trainer of performing Pokemon. Black is about to embark on a training journey to explore the Unova region and fill a Pokedex for Professor Juniper.

Who will Black choose as his first Pokemon? Who would you choose?

Plus, meet feisty Pokemon Tepig, Snivy, Oshawott and many more new Pokemon of the unexplor

Published October 2011 by Viz Media (first published July 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pokemon Black and White, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pokemon Black and White, Volume 1

Pokémon Adventures by Hidenori KusakaPokémon Adventures by Hidenori KusakaPokemon Ultimate Handbook by Cris SilvestriPokémon Adventures, Vol. 4 by Hidenori KusakaPokémon Adventures by Hidenori Kusaka
Best Pokemon Books
14th out of 32 books — 27 voters
Pokémon Mytery Dungeon by Makoto MizobuchiPokémon by Shigekatsu IharaPokemon Mini-Sticker Book by Press PikachuPokemon Mini-Sticker Book by Press PikachuSinnoh Heroes by Scholastic Inc.
Pokemon books
65th out of 72 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Coleccionista  de finales tristes
En este numero nos enteramos de porque se llama Black y White. Solo eso.

La ilustración es bonita y la historia dice poco muy poco :/

Aurora
Sep 04, 2015 Aurora rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, I wanted to like this series. I really did. I used to be crazy about Pokémon Adventures, and I love the games Pokémon Black and White. I don't know if I just grew up or what, but this arch of Pokémon Adventures (while being marketed as a separate series in the US; Pokémon Black and White was originally a continuation of the Pokémon Adventures manga) was utterly unappealing to me. All of the plot points seemed incredibly contrived - for example, the main character, Black, apparently convi ...more
Daniel
Jan 31, 2016 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mein erster Manga :) Es war am anfang echt schwierig für mich, mich an die Leseart (von rechts nach links) zu gewohnen, aber nach kurzer Zeit, ging es ganz gut. Und was soll ich groß zu diesem Manga sagen? Es ist einfach Pokemon und es ist einfach mega cool. Freu mich schon auf die weiteren Bänder dieser Mangareihe :)
Mohammed Alsharaby
NOT MY KIND OF MANGA
Karissa
Feb 13, 2014 Karissa rated it liked it
I got this to read with my seven year old son who is really into Pokemon. It’s an okay read, I think young Pokemon fans will love it, but adults will be a bit bored.

In this first installment we meet Black and his friends. Black has always dreamed about winning the Pokemon league, and now he is embarking on an adventure to fill his Pokedex and have his first trainer battle.

I am relatively new to the Pokemon universe. It was popular after I was a kid and as far as deck-building games go I was mor
Edward Lebowski
Si ok c'ho 22 anni però...
Quanto mi so mancati i pokémon, proprio in settimana ero tentato di installare un emulatore per Wii/Gamecube e rimettermi a nerdare ai giochi in 3d (Pokémon Colosseum e simili).
Inutile dire che dopo aver completato tutte le cartucce da pokémon blu fino al Perla non potevo farmi scappare l'occasione di questo ghiottissima nuova avventura, dove Ash è sostituito da un certo Nero e, finalmente, non c'è più quel topo giallo di merda pronto a mettere coda dappertutto.

Tepig s
Andre
Dec 28, 2014 Andre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: games, manga-comics
I was pretty surprised by this book. At first it seemed to be kind of generic to me but then the main character Black as well as the supporting characters Dr. Junniper and Cheren (whom I first believed to be a girl I admit) surprised me.
Especially Black was different from male protagonists that I usually read about(view spoiler)
Enrique
Aug 17, 2012 Enrique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read Pokemon Adventures in the Kanto Sagas and the Johto Saga though I haven't gotten to reading the Hoenn or the Sinnoh arcs. I've heard that starting with Sinnoh there is no focus on the previous characters like with what they tried to do in the Emerald arc (Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, and Silver were rescued by Gold, Crystal, Ruby, Saphire, and Emerald from a new villain I think) so I didn't know if I would like the manga version of the latest games Blackk and White. But I did enjoy playin ...more
Shea Kaiba
Apr 23, 2016 Shea Kaiba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Manga and Pokemon fans
I enjoyed this manga because of the vibrant characters and some Pokemon that were new to me. I like that Black is determined to become the best trainer in the Pokemon league. I think this connects Black and Seto Kaiba in their journey to become the top ranked player of their respective games.
However, my favorite character was Cheren. She seems intelligent and somehow I think I would end up with a Snivy as well.
I look forward to reading the next installment soon!
Booey
Aug 09, 2016 Booey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, manga
Black and White is a fun new chapter in the Pokemon Adventures Manga. Black is an extremely gifted trainer who wants nothing more than to become the Pokemon League Champion. To fund his dream he falls in with White and her traveling band of movie star Pokemon. I'm still waiting for the Pokemon Company to create a female trainer that wants to be the best, like no one ever was, without a guy who focused her dream (a la Sapphire).
Valerie (He Said Books Or Me)
I picked this one up on a whim. I enjoyed the manga, but I am actually finding that I like the cartoon a bit more. However, in both cases I am appreciating learning about the story of pokemon. There is a lot of information about what they do and how they battle which is interesting to learn.
Daken Howlett
Oct 15, 2014 Daken Howlett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Primo numero del manga dedicato a Pokémon black/white,la serie inizia in modo interessante,la premessa di creare un solo personaggio che sia contemporaneamente due personaggi grazie ai cambi di personalità dovuti al suo pokémon sembra avere un buon grado di originalità e parecchie potenzialità per il futuro,aspetto fiducioso il secondo numero.
Shinyfox
3 1/2 stars

Although I prefer Red, Black was a rather nice change. It was great to see a Main Character in Pokemon who would research pokemon (even if it was mostly to find them nicknames).
Tyler
I found this book to be very interesting and comical.
Diana
Why can't I read this book?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pink2perfect
Sep 01, 2016 Jana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*
Paige
Sep 21, 2012 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this manga and thought little kiddo Black was extremely funny. So was Bianca. Choosing Cheren's first pokemon for him. And saying they looked each other(so true). It was funny how the Snivy was a complete neat freak and how Bianca and Cheren destroyed Professor Juniper's lab. Black letting Musha bite his head was funny as well. Completely BLANK. One thing I didn't like was how White appeared on the cover but didn't appear in the actual book itself.
Ashleigh
Jun 06, 2013 Ashleigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read as digital ARC. As an "Ash" and as someone who grew up playing Pokémon, I really enjoyed reading about Black's adventures. For one thing, it's awesome how he's actually been preparing for nine years and how obsessed he can get with researching every little thing--you've got to respect that. Meanwhile, it was also fun to see borderline-familiar faces, like a Hiker-type Pokémon trainer that I remember fighting in Red, Yellow and Blue.
Isaac
Jul 09, 2015 Isaac rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art-style of this Pokemon-inspired manga is very precise in its shading. The story is good, with much more character development than the Black and White Pokemon games by Gamefreak and Nintendo.
Ilib4kids
Pokémon black and white. Vol. 10
Summer
Dec 06, 2012 Summer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, manga, pokemon
If you've already played Pokemon Black/White all the way through, you already know the storyline for this manga adaptation- almost right down to the dialogue. The Pokemon illustrations and the battle depictions are well-drawn though. No Pokemon fan should miss out :)
Gi-Gi
Jan 07, 2012 Gi-Gi rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I won this in a Pokemon Christmas giveaway along with some other stuff. It was pretty good but it will never stand next to the original Pokemon. A little funny and the motivation of Black reminds me of Ash's but like on super blast.
Cindy Minnich
Working to better understand the craze that has my son under its spell. I still think Pokemon need a good advocate like Hermione was for the house elves in HP.
sixthreezy
Oct 06, 2012 sixthreezy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pokemon
I read a lot of comics, but I must just not know anything about new Pokemon. I was so lost and that very rarely happens, but a children's comic..?
Alyssa
May 30, 2014 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-re-read
I got this with some of my b-day money, and even though it was short it is definitely something I will read again soon.
  • Pokémon: The Rise of Darkrai
  • Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl Adventure!, Vol. 4
  • Pokémon Mytery Dungeon: Ginji's Rescue Team
  • How to Draw Pokemon
  • Pokemon Black Version & Pokemon White Version Volume 1: The Official Pokemon Strategy Guide
  • Dream Saga, Vol. 01
  • Pokemon: Black & White Handbook
  • Pokemon: How to Draw the Newest Pokemon
  • Let's Find Pokemon! Special Complete Edition: Find Pokemon Sp Ed
  • Pokemon Ultimate Handbook
  • Kilala Princess, Vol. 01
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Mud-Slinging Moles
207961
Created the Pokemon Adventures series.

Also made a Pokemon Rangers/ Almia manga. It is based on the game Pokemon Rangers, Shadows of Almia
More about Hidenori Kusaka...

Pokemon Black and White (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Pokémon Black and White, Vol. 2