There's a Bat in Bunk Five (Marcy Lewis, #2)

There's a Bat in Bunk Five (Marcy Lewis #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  917 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Marcy is thrilled when Ms. Finney asks her to be a junior counselor at a creative arts camp. This is her big chance to have a summer away from her family where no one knows how insecure she used to be. This could be the perfect summer, but will nosy, noisy, and difficult campers ruin it all?
Published March 23rd 2006 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about There's a Bat in Bunk Five, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's a Bat in Bunk Five

Liz Thompson
The new covers for adolescent books are so ridiculous. When I read the Danziger books, they looked like they had been painted by someone who held a brush in one hand and a joint in the other.
Mayra Nobel
Aug 31, 2007 Mayra Nobel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes
I have been looking for this book ever since I read in it the 7th grade. I couldn't remember the name of it for the longest time and TODAY I thought what the heck I will google it once again (I just had a feeling I should) and not 5min into my search I found it!! This is a great story to read! I remember I could not stop smiling for most of the book. It just so damn sweet!
Snarky's
Marcy is slimmed down and back for another round of love, life and laughter. hahah. what a cheesy review.
Nazmin
In this book I think the author wants us to know that Marcy is a girl who doesn't really fit in with most people because of how she looks. Also Marcy and her father don't have a good connection.But when she goes to this special writing camp to be a counselor, her life just turns so much better. I think the author also wants us to fell happy for Marcy because she finally found someone who respects how she looks, after all those years of thinking that no one will ever like her. If I put myself in...more
Massiel
This is a book that talks about a girl named Marcy that is 14 years old. She goes to camp and the drama begins! Girls from all over go to camp and all get along except Ginger a girl that always have been a trouoble maker makes. But when Marcy finds a guy named Ted they fall in love and start going out everything gets better!! But when camp is starting to finish their relationship might finsh also.
Chris
When I moved into my classroom, there were all manner of paperbacks left on the bookcase in the back of the room- this was one of them. I never would have read Theres a Bat In Bunk Five when I was of the age that this book is aimed at, but reading it now, I really appreciate Dazinger's characterization and
HeavyReader
Jun 23, 2007 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: slightly gawky teenage girls
Shelves: young-adult
This sequal to The Cat Ate My Gymsuit was one of my favorite books as a teenager. I remember there was enough romance in it to keep it interesting, but not enough sex to be scandalizing.
Madeleine
I have found it a real enjoyment and I hope to read more of Paula Danziger books. I strongly suggest this book to anyone!
Karen
More fuel for the summer camp mania fire.
Jaime W
Jaime Waldron

Due 1/13/12

D block

There’s a bat in bunk five by Paula Danziger is a summer romance. Marcy a high spirted creative writer. A c.i.t.(counselor in training) at a camp run by Ms. Finney and old teacher. Creative arts camp music,drama,and writing. There are many other c.i.t. there and counselors to including the boys she is now crushing on. They leave to go on romantic dates with each other during there breaks and after everyone of there campers have go to bed. There is a thrill when you...more
Jenny
This was as good and sassy as I remember from my pre-teens, but in both this and Remember Me to Harold Square a lot of stuff happens without spending much time with it; the story races through things without you really experiencing the development of feelings etc. Both books are short reads but I don't know if that's an excuse for it...
Nowadays I think I would want to feel more personality. But I did love this when I was young. I think because I needed to read books where STUFF happened to teen...more
Nancy Brady
A tween chapter book about a young teen who gets to experience camp. Marcy is a CIT (counselor in training) for a favorite teacher. She deals with new friends, a first boyfriend, and bats, learning how not to be so scared of what life throws at her. She will grow up some and learn not that everything is good or bad and she doesn't have to be perfect. But dealing with Ginger might be the biggest lesson she learns.
Bronwen
This was my favorite book in fourth or fifth grade. I read it at least six times. I came across this new edition recently and read it for nostalgia. It was just as good as it was back then. And I was surprised at how much of it I remembered, word for word, after 20-some years. Danziger does a great job of developing thoughtful characters in short books.

I think books for older children and young adults from the 70s and early 80s are so much better than ones written today. Possibly because I spen...more
Sian Mathieson
the book was ok.. but wasnt an amazing book that i could read over and over again!
Katelyn
I read this when I was younger. Short and sweet. :)
Tara
Another fun book by Danziger, with good character development. One thing that does bother me, though, is that she tends to take a similar view of intimacy that I've seen in other young teen books - the characters aren't too intimate because they "don't think they're ready yet," as opposed to having any religious values or realizing that virginity is a virtue. It's always refreshing to find books with a more definite moral stand, especially in today's world.
Karetchko
I read this book over and over in my youth, along with several other Paula Danziger books that were published around the same time. This one seemed to have the biggest influence on me, because around five or six years after reading it, I decided to apply for jobs as a sleepaway camp counselor (a job I loved and did for four summers).
Kricket
this is one i loved in junior high and recently found at a used book sale for 10 cents. even though it's ludicrously dated at this point, i still love danziger's honest way of writing. this is the sequel to "the cat ate my gym suit" and features marcy working as a CIT at an artistic summer camp and falling in love for the first time.
Amanda jimenez
A bat in bunk 5 is about a girl who goes to camp and whatches these little kids.While at camp lots of drama begins! While there she starts likeing someone.She started likeing this boy named Ted and eventually falls in love with him.I recomend this book to anyone.
Sara
Re-read of an old childhood standby. I think I liked it way back because the main character's life was so utterly different from my own. Doesn't really hold up over time, though. The writing style is too sparse in some places and overly detailed in others.
Jul Aristoza
I read this book back when I was 12, and it is the perfect book for that awkward tween stage. The book tackles on the topics of first 'real' love, the 'noveltical' lure of sex and the misconception of self-image most girls are troubled with today.
Lily
There's a bat in bunk five is a story about Marcy Lewis. She goes to a camp with one of her past teacher, Ms. Finney, who tells Marcy to call her Barbara. The are at a literary camp and something happens to a bully at the camp.
Brian Hodges
Recommended to me by my 8-year-old daughter, which made me awfully surprised when they started swearing and talking about sex. But hey, it's a pretty innocent and sweet quasi-coming-of-age-at-summer-camp story.
Julie K.
Apr 21, 2008 Julie K. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all the girls
I seriously love this book. It is so funny. THe girl is so silly about what happens to her. I recommand this book to all the girls in the world. It would be a great kick.
Nadia Ayoub
I must have read this book twenty times over the years. It's sweet, very touching, with some serious stuff in amongst a lot of fun. One of my favourite childhood books.
Samiha
I just started this book and So far it seems boring. But im pretty sure it will get interesting. Although i read the first one the cat ate my gymsuit.
Courtney Graham
OMG!! I read this book in the 5th grade and I can say this was the most rememberable book ever. I'm 17 years old and would still re-read this book.
Amy
It's been quite a while since I've read this one, but I remember it being good. Not as good as "The Cat Ate My Gymsuit", but still good.
Phyllis
Sep 11, 2007 Phyllis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: tweens.
Fun! The gal from Cat Ate My Gymsuit blossoms. And the good news is, she's still smart. Maybe I'll have to re-read these!
Samantha
The sequel to "The Cat Ate My Gymsuit." It was just as good, if not better than the first one.
  • Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack!
  • Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself
  • The Luckiest Girl (First Love, #2)
  • Watcher in the Woods
  • Pardon Me, You're Stepping on My Eyeball
  • Taking Care of Terrific
  • Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You
  • The Borning Room
  • The Graduation of Jake Moon
  • Say Goodbye (Sweet Valley High, #23)
  • Journey
  • After the Rain
Born in Washington, D.C. and raised in New York, Paula Danziger knew since the second grade that she wanted to be a writer. Throughout her career, she wrote a collection of children's stories, including The Cat Ate my Gymsuit, The Divorce Express and, more recently, the Amber Brown series.
Danziger loved to travel and meet young kids all over the world. She was embraced by her audience for her abil...more
More about Paula Danziger...
The Cat Ate My Gymsuit Amber Brown Is Not a Crayon P.S. Longer Letter Later (Elizabeth and Tara*Starr, #1) Amber Brown Goes Fourth The Pistachio Prescription

“It's not easy being so frightened of everything. And when I think of how much I've improved in the last year, I wonder when I'll ever get finished with making changes and be really grown up.” 20 likes