Shadows (Lux, #0.5)

Shadows (Lux 0.5)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  15,709 ratings  ·  1,549 reviews
The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an alien life form on Earth, human girls are…well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane.

Dangerous. Tempting. Undeniable.

Bethany can’t deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren’t a complication she want...more
Published February 21st 2012 by Entangled Publishing (first published February 20th 2012)

Jennifer Armentrout
Dec 10, 2011 Jennifer Armentrout rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
It amazes me how quickly things go up on goodreads. Anyway, writing this was a treat
Blacky *Romance Addict*
May 15, 2013 Blacky *Romance Addict* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Blacky *Romance Addict* by: Vishous * suit me up & tie me down *

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

When she nodded, he bent down, pressing his head against her forehead. “Seriously though, I want this—I want you.” The earlier awkwardness was gone from his voice. He was all intent and purpose now. “More than I’ve ever wanted anything.”

This was an uber-sweet and heartbreaking prequel novella about Daemon's brother Dawson, and how his love for Bethany changed everything.
I won't say much because this one is short and I'd spoil it for everyone :(

How I liked it

Dawson and Bethany were great, and I...more
Eunice
*Initial thoughts after reading:

Oh god, I think I might cry. This was so heartbreaking. But this gave light and more understanding about Daemon's attitude and actions towards Katy in Obsidian. If I could just jumped into the story and help them, I really would. Haha! I have so many theories coming up on my mind now and I'm also so in the mood to re-read Obsidian!

*Final Thoughts: (This went more like my review for both Shadows and my second round of Obsidian. Teehee!)

This was a wonderful and hea...more
Aestas Book Blog
4.5+ stars!

Ok, seriously, this YA series has me HOOKED !!!! Like woah hooked! I feel like I could easily devour ten of these books in a sitting! I’m totally and completely in LOVE!!

K, first off, very important but this book should be read AFTER Obsidian. I repeat, READ Obsidian FIRST !!!!! Even though its the prequel, trust me, everything will make a lot more sense if you read it after. You won’t be missing anything, I promise. Just because these events came first, doesn’t mean they should...more
~Tina~
*drools at the cover* Image and video hosting by TinyPic

For the love of all Aliens! I loved this book!!

For those of you who know me already know that I'm a HUGE fan of Jennifer L. Armentrout. She is such a brilliant author and I simply can't get enough of her stories.

I've been looking forward to Shadows ever since I found out it was coming our way. Not only was I thrilled to see Daemon and Dee again, but I've always been mighty curious about Dawson Black who fell in love with his human girl, Bethany Williams.
This is his story....more
Steph Sinclair

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Usually I don't like reading novellas. I find that I have a harder time connecting with the characters with such few pages. So I was surprised that by the time I read the last page of Shadows I found myself missing Dawson and Bethany. Perhaps it's because I devoured Shadows right after completing Obsidian. I'm not sure. Or maybe it's because despite Dawson and Bethany's absence thus far in the series, I can still feel that they play a much bigger role than perviously real...more
Rachael Wade

Kimmy turned on the girl, about to pull a Linda Blair, no doubt.

Okay, so forgive me in advance if this review is completely all over the place and disjointed...but that's what Armentrout's writing does to me. She is positively my favorite YA author as of late, and along with adult romance author E.L. James, she is the only one who can elicit such a strong reaction from me when I read her work. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...the woman has mad skills. Not to mention the kind of humor...more
Annie Brewer
Gawd.....I love this series. I love Dawson and Daemon. I love Jennifer. Need to get my thoughts in order....review to come!

OKAY, I think I have had enough time to gather my thoughts so I can write my review for this. It wont be as long as my other reviews because I have so much to say but don't want to "spoil" anything for those that have not gotten to it yet! So here goes.....

SO, yay!!! I was so glad to see Daemon and Dee again! I've especially missed Daemon like SO MUCH!!!!! Ever since I found...more
Sheryl
Duh..... Like I would or could give this book ANYTHING other than 5 stars!!!
Maria
I finished Shadows last night I just i was not in a an emotional condition to come online and say or write something. In fact i didn’t stop thinking about it not even the next day and the evening too.

If you are not familiar with the Obsidian (Lux, #1) the first book in the series since Shadows (Lux, #0.5) is the pre sequel book here is the chance to suck into the world that Jennifer L. Armentrout creates…

If you are familiar with the series like me well you know the deal.. It was fantastic and i...more
Sammy☆Smitten With Book Heroes☆彡
(view spoiler)

5 Stars!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

This novella is a prequel to Obsidian, the first book in the Lux series. I don't want to give too much away, but this story is basically about forbidden love and the consequences that can occur. It is about a girl named Bethany, who moves to a new town where...more
★★Sara Lizzy★★
BR with Jo and Sammy
(This was a re-read for me.)

5 Stars!

Shadows is a prequel to Obsidian and tells the story of Dawson Black and Bethany Williams. This book also has in it Dawson's siblings, Daemon and Dee (they are triplets) as well as other supporting characters in the story. The story is told from Dawson's and Bethany's POV and occasionally Daemon's POV.

Dawson is a Luxen (an alien) and he falls in love with a human. Shadows is a novella about an instant attraction, a love that is frowned upon...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review

Cover: Hotness
Rating PG–13 .
Thumbs Up 4.5
Overall: Really Good Read.
Characters: Love them.
Plot: Totally original.
Page Turner: Yes.
Series Cont.? Yes.
Recommend Yes.
Book Boyfriend: DAWSON!

SUMMARY

This is a novella, but it packed a punch. I really loved DAWSON. We got to see more of the other Luxens. I still didn’t feel much for Daemon. (view spoiler) I found more questions in this one though....more
Joy (joyous reads)
I simply couldn't resist reading this. I spent the entire morning NOT working. I'm bad, I know! But..but...it's Dawson and Daemon...and gah!

This gives us a background story as to what happened to Dawson and Bethany. We all know that they disappered without a trace prior to Obsidian, so no suprise as to the eventual ending of Shadows. I kind of half dreaded/anticipated reading this just for the very reason. I dreaded knowing Dawson's demise. At the same time, I think it was pretty cool to see wh...more
Tiffani
This is the only book by JLA I don't like. At All. I don't like Bethany, I don't like Dawson and I don't like the plot.

Bethany is just not my type of girl - girly, innocent, weak, damsel in distress-y. And honestly, how fucked up do you have to be to be okay with your BF being an alien in less than 5 minutes.

Dawson was okay, though not as great as Daemon, until the point he fell in 'love' with Bethany. Even I, a hopeless romantic, would not be so selfish as to betray my family and friends and en...more
Erin
Feb 23, 2012 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Well, hello Dawson, so very nice to finally meet you!! This novella was an awesome short read, adding to what is already an awesome series!!

Dawson makes up one third of the Daemon/Dawson/Dee triplets, the beautiful alien siblings that live in a small town in West Virginia. In Obsidian we didn't get to meet him because he was already gone, either taken by the DOD or killed by the Arum. In Shadows, we get to hear his story, before that awful moment that still torments his family.

Dawson was so muc...more
Keertana
Wow! Seriously, this novella was awesome! I liked it a lot better than both Obsidian and Onyx, so that really surprised me. First and foremost, Shadows is the story of Dawson, Daemon's twin brother, and how he falls in love with Bethany. While you should chronologically read this before Obsidian, it doesn't contain too many details, so I'd recommend reading it after Obsidian or even after Onyx like I did as it shed a lot of details on some of the plot lines in Onyx.

Ultimately...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
Too. Frickin. Cute.

This prequel to the Lux series answered a few questions of mine that cropped up while reading Obsidian, yet also left one big question hanging. I don't buy that anything is final, no matter how much everything would appear as such. The DOD knows too much imo. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one feeling this way.

Dawson, the "good" twin to his temperamental other half Daemon (who was the main character in Obsidian) was a pleasant enough character. He was easy enough to like b...more
♥Rachel♥
I just finished this. Jennifer has a way of making you fall for all of her characters (except for Ash and Andrew! Ugh!!).

Seeing Bethany and Dawson together was so sweet. They were so different from Kat and Daemon. Not antagonistic to each other at all, yet some of their scenes managed to get your blood pumping! You can see why Daemon is so reluctant with Katie after reading this. It was also nice to see the triplets, Dawson, Dee and Daemon, together, and their love for each other. Daemon comes o...more
Tana
Shadows (Lux # .5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Shadows in a short novella which fills in some blank spots about Daemons brother Dawson Black.

Since I’ve read Obsidian (Lux #1) first this story gave me some of the unanswered questions I had about the missing brother and what may have happened to them.

Even though this is a short story it is a great read, Dawson and Bethany are a great couple and I loved their story.

If you’re a fan of Jennifer L. Armentrout writing this is a must read.
Shadows is about...more
Mistress
I really liked this book! I've been sucked into the Lux world. I liked Bethany and fell in love with Dawson. I can't wait to read Onyx and get back to yummy Daemon! I hope we will see more of Dawson in the future.

Fathima
SCORE TWO FOR THE PITIFUL HUMANS

Humans have always been a very enticing and exciting source of observation for us Luxens , and i must say that there have been times where they have rendered us completely speechless . Jennifer L Armentrout is one such human who has definitely got us Luxens ( especially ME ) very intrigued . I think she knows a lot about us than any other human on this planet does ! Maaaan , the woman has skills - you got to give it to her .. *Ahem* i guess i'm deviating from th...more
Duchess Nicole
This is one of the BEST prequels I've read. Not only is it a story all on its own, but the stupid cliffhanger ending left me screaming inside my own head. Surely, SURELY this can be explained!!! Surely, SURELY that did not just happen! What's sad is that I read Obsidian first, then realized that there was a prequel. So naturally I assumed that some of the unanswered questions I had regarding Bethany and Dawson would be answered. What this novella did was make me fall in love with them, and then...more
AJ
"Dear God, she was seconds away from melting into a useless puddle of girlie girl."

Oh yeah, I’m right there with that sentiment!

This book is a prequel to Obsidian, but in actual fact, should be read AFTER that book, when the world and some of the characters are already established. Chronologically though, the events of this book take place prior to Obsidian and tell the story of Daemon and Dee’s missing-and-presumed-dead brother, Dawson.

Holy freaking swoon! I confess here and now to being a mas...more
      .•*¨`*•✿  ✿•*¨`*•. J. Katherine  .•*¨`*•✿  ✿•*¨`*•.
BR with Sara and Sammy
This is a re-read for me.

Bethany is the new girl in school who gets the immediate attention of Dawson. They hit it off right away and fall for each other. It's not long before Bethany finds out what Dawson really is- a Luxen (or alien), but she accepts his for who he is. Even though their relationship is frowned upon by other Luxen in the community, Dawson doesn't care. He will do anything and everything just to be with Bethany no matter what the risks are, but it is not w...more
Karen
I don't know where to start. Total prequel perfection... but no HEA here!! I was sooo hoping for a different ending... one that would allow those fallen to maybe only be hiding out there somewhere, ready to return when they were ready. But I did not get that ending. I am saddened and broken just like the characters in the story. No closure for me. My only solace is to keep reading, and hope for happiness for the survivors.

The story actually starts before the beginning of Obsidian. We meet the t...more
Joy (Cheery♡Reads)
===MAY CONTAIN MINOR SPOILERS===

This was so awesomesauce!!! Dawson and Beth are such darlings. You couldn't not love them both the moment they were introduced. Shadows was really sugary sweet and poignant as fans of the fist novel, Obsidian, already knows what will happen to our sweet couple.

Dawson was the complete opposite of Daemon. Dawson was like sunshine, unicorns and rainbows while Daemon was all thunder and lightning. Shadows gave an insight of why Daemon was the way he is in Obsidian. Ev...more
Anna

Isn't prequels supposed to be read first? But no, I jumped to Obsidian and clearly missing a ton of the good parts.

Seriously if I read this first I wouldn't have judged Daemon for being such an asshat in Obsidian. Now I realized why he is so tight as a belt towards Dee, and very arrogant on Katy. But enough about that.

Shadows really made an impression on me. I was captivated by the magnificent force and enchanting... oh who was I kidding! This story rocks over a hundredth time! I am actually sta...more
Liz
Forget Romeo and Juliet, this is the Romeo and Juliet-story of our time.

I loved it. I just really loved it.
Dawson is a big sweetheart and Bethany is totally adorable!

It was exciting to see how Daemon and Dee were before the tragedy and how the relationship between the Luxen really is like.
The connection between Dawson and Bethany was nearly tangible and the sweet way they acted around each other and what they thought... It was just adorable.
Their story was heart-warming and heart-wrenching...more
Brenton Thwaites as Daemon/Dawson Black!! 16 122 Jul 15, 2014 08:25AM
LUXEN Army: Shadows Discussion (spoilers) 3 41 Jul 04, 2014 03:13PM
The Twin Obsessio...: Daemon or Dawson??? 999 224 Jan 27, 2014 12:26PM
The Twin Obsessio...: Bethany or Katy? 25 137 Oct 21, 2013 06:49PM
Jennifer L Arment...: Prequel - Shadows 269 140 Sep 12, 2013 06:18PM
Crazy for Young A...: Shadows (Lux # 0.5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout → Start Date: March 5th, 2013 39 24 Mar 07, 2013 06:55AM
Fit in... 6 62 Jan 10, 2013 12:17PM
  • Untouched (Denazen, #1.5)
  • Sweet Evil Extra #2 (The Sweet Trilogy, #1.2)
  • Elemental (Elemental, #0.5)
  • Betraying Innocence
  • Ethan (Brightest Kind of Darkness, #0.5)
  • Catching Suki (Lila, #0.5)
  • Defiance (Significance, #3)
  • Avow (The Archers of Avalon, #3)
  • Redemption (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #4)
  • Ceaseless (Existence Trilogy, #3)
  • Waiting for Mercy (Cambion, #2)

To email me, please use the below addy.
jenniferlarmentrout@live.com

# 1 New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Jennifer L. Armentrout Lives in West Virginia.

All the rumors you heard...more
More about Jennifer L. Armentrout...
Obsidian (Lux, #1) Onyx (Lux, #2) Opal (Lux, #3) Half-Blood (Covenant, #1) Origin (Lux, #4)

“What?" he demanded.
"Did you just...clean a dish?" Dee backed away slowly, blinking. She glanced at Daemon. "The world is going to end. And I’m still a vir—"

"No!" both the brothers yelled in unison.

Daemon looked like he was actually going to vomit. "Jesus, don’t ever finish that statement. Actually, don’t ever change that. Thank you."

Her mouth dropped open."You expect me to never have—"

"This isn’t a conversation I want to start my morning with." Dawson grabbed his book bag off the kitchen table. "I’m so leaving for school before this gets more detailed."

"And why aren’t you dressed yet?" Dee demanded, her full attention concentrated on Daemon. "You’re going to be late."

"I’m always late."
"Punctuality makes perfect.”
210 likes
“Dee’s hand fluttered around her as she spoke. “I was outside, and it looked as if a light show was going on in your bedroom. Daemon said you were probably mas—”
And Dee also knew no boundaries.
“Ah, no, please don’t finish that sentence.” He lowered his hands, eyes narrowing at his sister. “Don’t ever finish that sentence.”
155 likes