Start by marking “Shadows (Lux, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Shadows (Lux, #0.5)

Shadows (Lux 0.5)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  21,132 ratings  ·  1,975 reviews
The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an alien life form on Earth, human girls are…well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane.

Dangerous. Tempting. Undeniable.

Bethany can’t deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren’t a complication she want
Published February 21st 2012 by Entangled Publishing (first published February 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows, please sign up.

Bubbles241 no, no, absolutely not! i read it after opal (just cause i didn't know of it's existence), and honestly, i think it's the best placement for it.…moreno, no, absolutely not! i read it after opal (just cause i didn't know of it's existence), and honestly, i think it's the best placement for it. either that or after onyx, i think is fine. (less)

Jennifer Armentrout
Dec 10, 2011 Jennifer Armentrout rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
It amazes me how quickly things go up on goodreads. Anyway, writing this was a treat
Blacky *Romance Addict*
Mar 24, 2015 Blacky *Romance Addict* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Blacky *Romance Addict* by: Vishous * suit me up & tie me down *

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

When she nodded, he bent down, pressing his head against her forehead. “Seriously though, I want this—I want you.” The earlier awkwardness was gone from his voice. He was all intent and purpose now. “More than I’ve ever wanted anything.”

This was an uber-sweet and heartbreaking prequel novella about Daemon's brother Dawson, and how his love for Bethany changed everything.
I won't say much because this one is short and I'd spoil it for everyone :(

How I liked it

Dawson and Bethany were great, and I
Eunice
*Initial thoughts after reading:

Oh god, I think I might cry. This was so heartbreaking. But this gave light and more understanding about Daemon's attitude and actions towards Katy in Obsidian. If I could just jumped into the story and help them, I really would. Haha! I have so many theories coming up on my mind now and I'm also so in the mood to re-read Obsidian!

*Final Thoughts: (This went more like my review for both Shadows and my second round of Obsidian. Teehee!)

This was a wonderful and hea
Aestas Book Blog
4.5+ stars!

Ok, seriously, this YA series has me HOOKED !!!! Like woah hooked! I feel like I could easily devour ten of these books in a sitting! I’m totally and completely in LOVE!!

K, first off, very important but this book should be read AFTER Obsidian. I repeat, READ Obsidian FIRST !!!!! Even though its the prequel, trust me, everything will make a lot more sense if you read it after. You won’t be missing anything, I promise. Just because these events came first, doesn’t mean they should
~Tina~
*drools at the cover* Image and video hosting by TinyPic

For the love of all Aliens! I loved this book!!

For those of you who know me already know that I'm a HUGE fan of Jennifer L. Armentrout. She is such a brilliant author and I simply can't get enough of her stories.

I've been looking forward to Shadows ever since I found out it was coming our way. Not only was I thrilled to see Daemon and Dee again, but I've always been mighty curious about Dawson Black who fell in love with his human girl, Bethany Williams.
This is his story.
Steph Sinclair

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Usually I don't like reading novellas. I find that I have a harder time connecting with the characters with such few pages. So I was surprised that by the time I read the last page of Shadows I found myself missing Dawson and Bethany. Perhaps it's because I devoured Shadows right after completing Obsidian. I'm not sure. Or maybe it's because despite Dawson and Bethany's absence thus far in the series, I can still feel that they play a much bigger role than perviously real
Rachael Wade

Kimmy turned on the girl, about to pull a Linda Blair, no doubt.

Okay, so forgive me in advance if this review is completely all over the place and disjointed...but that's what Armentrout's writing does to me. She is positively my favorite YA author as of late, and along with adult romance author E.L. James, she is the only one who can elicit such a strong reaction from me when I read her work. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...the woman has mad skills. Not to mention the kind of humor
Karla

photo dc5fac36-bab8-4892-bc28-2ea677e70c8e_zps74b30dd4.jpg

5 Stars! DAWSON...delicious!

Okay, I get it now, I see what's so appealing about this series and Shadows showed me the way. My hope is that eventually Daemon reveals some of the same personality traits as his brother Dawson, and is just hiding them, because he's protecting his family and can't let down his guard. I read Obsidian first and struggled with Daemon and Katy's relationship, but Dawson and Bethany represent what young love is all about. They made my heart flutter. Fingers crossed that w
Annie Brewer
Gawd.....I love this series. I love Dawson and Daemon. I love Jennifer. Need to get my thoughts in order....review to come!

OKAY, I think I have had enough time to gather my thoughts so I can write my review for this. It wont be as long as my other reviews because I have so much to say but don't want to "spoil" anything for those that have not gotten to it yet! So here goes.....

SO, yay!!! I was so glad to see Daemon and Dee again! I've especially missed Daemon like SO MUCH!!!!! Ever since I found
Maria
I finished Shadows last night I just i was not in a an emotional condition to come online and say or write something. In fact i didn’t stop thinking about it not even the next day and the evening too.

If you are not familiar with the Obsidian (Lux, #1) the first book in the series since Shadows (Lux, #0.5) is the pre sequel book here is the chance to suck into the world that Jennifer L. Armentrout creates…

If you are familiar with the series like me well you know the deal.. It was fantastic and i
Sheryl
Duh..... Like I would or could give this book ANYTHING other than 5 stars!!!
★★Sara Lizzy★★
BR with Jo and Sammy
(This was a re-read for me.)

5 Stars!

Shadows is a prequel to Obsidian and tells the story of Dawson Black and Bethany Williams. This book also has in it Dawson's siblings, Daemon and Dee (they are triplets) as well as other supporting characters in the story. The story is told from Dawson's and Bethany's POV and occasionally Daemon's POV.

Dawson is a Luxen (an alien) and he falls in love with a human. Shadows is a novella about an instant attraction, a love that is frowned upon
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review

Cover: Hotness
Rating PG–13 .
Thumbs Up 4.5
Overall: Really Good Read.
Characters: Love them.
Plot: Totally original.
Page Turner: Yes.
Series Cont.? Yes.
Recommend Yes.
Book Boyfriend: DAWSON!

SUMMARY

This is a novella, but it packed a punch. I really loved DAWSON. We got to see more of the other Luxens. I still didn’t feel much for Daemon. (view spoiler) I found more questions in this one though.
Tiffani
This is the only book by JLA I don't like. At All. I don't like Bethany, I don't like Dawson and I don't like the plot.

Bethany is just not my type of girl - girly, innocent, weak, damsel in distress-y. And honestly, how fucked up do you have to be to be okay with your BF being an alien in less than 5 minutes.

Dawson was okay, though not as great as Daemon, until the point he fell in 'love' with Bethany. Even I, a hopeless romantic, would not be so selfish as to betray my family and friends and en
Sammy☆Smitten With Book Heroes☆彡
(view spoiler)

5 Stars!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

This novella is a prequel to Obsidian, the first book in the Lux series. I don't want to give too much away, but this story is basically about forbidden love and the consequences that can occur. It is about a girl named Bethany, who moves to a new town where
Joy (joyous reads)
I simply couldn't resist reading this. I spent the entire morning NOT working. I'm bad, I know! But..but...it's Dawson and Daemon...and gah!

This gives us a background story as to what happened to Dawson and Bethany. We all know that they disappered without a trace prior to Obsidian, so no suprise as to the eventual ending of Shadows. I kind of half dreaded/anticipated reading this just for the very reason. I dreaded knowing Dawson's demise. At the same time, I think it was pretty cool to see wh
Erin
Feb 23, 2012 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Well, hello Dawson, so very nice to finally meet you!! This novella was an awesome short read, adding to what is already an awesome series!!

Dawson makes up one third of the Daemon/Dawson/Dee triplets, the beautiful alien siblings that live in a small town in West Virginia. In Obsidian we didn't get to meet him because he was already gone, either taken by the DOD or killed by the Arum. In Shadows, we get to hear his story, before that awful moment that still torments his family.

Dawson was so muc
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Too. Frickin. Cute.

This prequel to the Lux series answered a few questions of mine that cropped up while reading Obsidian, yet also left one big question hanging. I don't buy that anything is final, no matter how much everything would appear as such. The DOD knows too much imo. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one feeling this way.

Dawson, the "good" twin to his temperamental other half Daemon (who was the main character in Obsidian) was a pleasant enough character. He was easy enough to like b
Srikari Downey Jr.
description

I think I would have liked it better if I wasn't too hung up on Daemon. Just saying. But me likey likey
Carolina Sofia
I really reaaally enjoyed this novella. I was pleasantly surprised. I read this because 1) I wanted to know more about Dawson and Beth, and 2) I wasn't really ready to start reading "Opposition" just because I don't want to finish this series, at all..
Said that, it was really interesting getting to know how Dawson and Bethany met, how their love progressed, the incident on the mountain and so on. I really liked it.
But what I loved was the triplets relationship before hell broke loose. Dawson, Da
Tana
Shadows (Lux # .5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Shadows in a short novella which fills in some blank spots about Daemons brother Dawson Black.

Since I’ve read Obsidian (Lux #1) first this story gave me some of the unanswered questions I had about the missing brother and what may have happened to them.

Even though this is a short story it is a great read, Dawson and Bethany are a great couple and I loved their story.

If you’re a fan of Jennifer L. Armentrout writing this is a must read.
Shadows is about
Keertana
Wow! Seriously, this novella was awesome! I liked it a lot better than both Obsidian and Onyx, so that really surprised me. First and foremost, Shadows is the story of Dawson, Daemon's twin brother, and how he falls in love with Bethany. While you should chronologically read this before Obsidian, it doesn't contain too many details, so I'd recommend reading it after Obsidian or even after Onyx like I did as it shed a lot of details on some of the plot lines in Onyx.

Ultimately
AJ
"Dear God, she was seconds away from melting into a useless puddle of girlie girl."

Oh yeah, I’m right there with that sentiment!

This book is a prequel to Obsidian, but in actual fact, should be read AFTER that book, when the world and some of the characters are already established. Chronologically though, the events of this book take place prior to Obsidian and tell the story of Daemon and Dee’s missing-and-presumed-dead brother, Dawson.

Holy freaking swoon! I confess here and now to being a mas
      .•*¨`*•✿  ✿•*¨`*•. J. Katherine  .•*¨`*•✿  ✿•*¨`*•.
BR with Sara and Sammy
This is a re-read for me.

Bethany is the new girl in school who gets the immediate attention of Dawson. They hit it off right away and fall for each other. It's not long before Bethany finds out what Dawson really is- a Luxen (or alien), but she accepts his for who he is. Even though their relationship is frowned upon by other Luxen in the community, Dawson doesn't care. He will do anything and everything just to be with Bethany no matter what the risks are, but it is not w
Liz
Forget Romeo and Juliet, this is the Romeo and Juliet-story of our time.

I loved it. I just really loved it.
Dawson is a big sweetheart and Bethany is totally adorable!

It was exciting to see how Daemon and Dee were before the tragedy and how the relationship between the Luxen really is like.
The connection between Dawson and Bethany was nearly tangible and the sweet way they acted around each other and what they thought... It was just adorable.
Their story was heart-warming and heart-wrenching
♥Rachel♥
I just finished this. Jennifer has a way of making you fall for all of her characters (except for Ash and Andrew! Ugh!!).

Seeing Bethany and Dawson together was so sweet. They were so different from Kat and Daemon. Not antagonistic to each other at all, yet some of their scenes managed to get your blood pumping! You can see why Daemon is so reluctant with Katie after reading this. It was also nice to see the triplets, Dawson, Dee and Daemon, together, and their love for each other. Daemon comes o
Mistress
I really liked this book! I've been sucked into the Lux world. I liked Bethany and fell in love with Dawson. I can't wait to read Onyx and get back to yummy Daemon! I hope we will see more of Dawson in the future.

Julia Herondale
Well, I'm just going to get right to the point: I absolutely freaking loved "Shadows," a prequel novella to the Lux Series by the unfathomably talented, Jennifer L. Armentrout! She once again blew me away, and enticed and intrigued me from the very beginning.

I loved the storyline and characters. I thought the story, though obviously short, was extremely unique and interesting. It definitely left me craving for more at the end and made me want the next novel ASAP. I loved Dawson and Bethany, an
Duchess Nicole
This is one of the BEST prequels I've read. Not only is it a story all on its own, but the stupid cliffhanger ending left me screaming inside my own head. Surely, SURELY this can be explained!!! Surely, SURELY that did not just happen! What's sad is that I read Obsidian first, then realized that there was a prequel. So naturally I assumed that some of the unanswered questions I had regarding Bethany and Dawson would be answered. What this novella did was make me fall in love with them, and then ...more
Brenton Thwaites as Daemon/Dawson Black!! 22 167 Oct 30, 2014 09:47PM
LUXEN Army: Shadows Discussion (spoilers) 3 46 Jul 04, 2014 03:13PM
The Twin Obsessio...: Daemon or Dawson??? 999 235 Jan 27, 2014 12:26PM
The Twin Obsessio...: Bethany or Katy? 25 145 Oct 21, 2013 06:49PM
Jennifer L Arment...: Prequel - Shadows 269 147 Sep 12, 2013 06:18PM
Crazy for Young A...: Shadows (Lux # 0.5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout → Start Date: March 5th, 2013 39 25 Mar 07, 2013 06:55AM
Fit in... 6 72 Jan 10, 2013 12:17PM
  • Untouched (Denazen, #1.5)
  • Elemental (Elemental, #0.5)
  • Angelsong (Dark Angel, #3)
  • Awry (The Archers of Avalon, #2)
  • Waiting for Mercy (Cambion, #2)
  • Reverence (Significance, #3.5)
  • Catching Suki (Lila, #0.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • Touching Eternity (Prequel)
  • Unchained (Nephilim Rising, #1)
  • Predestined (Existence Trilogy, #2)

To email me, please use the below addy.
jenniferlarmentrout@live.com

# 1 New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Jennifer L. Armentrout Lives in West Virginia.

All the rumors you heard
More about Jennifer L. Armentrout...

Lux (5 books)
  • Obsidian (Lux, #1)
  • Onyx (Lux, #2)
  • Opal (Lux, #3)
  • Origin (Lux, #4)
  • Opposition (Lux, #5)
Obsidian (Lux, #1) Onyx (Lux, #2) Opal (Lux, #3) Origin (Lux, #4) Half-Blood (Covenant, #1)

“What?" he demanded.
"Did you just...clean a dish?" Dee backed away slowly, blinking. She glanced at Daemon. "The world is going to end. And I’m still a vir—"

"No!" both the brothers yelled in unison.

Daemon looked like he was actually going to vomit. "Jesus, don’t ever finish that statement. Actually, don’t ever change that. Thank you."

Her mouth dropped open."You expect me to never have—"

"This isn’t a conversation I want to start my morning with." Dawson grabbed his book bag off the kitchen table. "I’m so leaving for school before this gets more detailed."

"And why aren’t you dressed yet?" Dee demanded, her full attention concentrated on Daemon. "You’re going to be late."

"I’m always late."
"Punctuality makes perfect.”
237 likes
“Dee’s hand fluttered around her as she spoke. “I was outside, and it looked as if a light show was going on in your bedroom. Daemon said you were probably mas—”
And Dee also knew no boundaries.
“Ah, no, please don’t finish that sentence.” He lowered his hands, eyes narrowing at his sister. “Don’t ever finish that sentence.”
169 likes