Start by marking “Bad Power” as Want to Read:
Bad Power

Bad Power

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Hate superheroes?
Yeah. They probably hate you, too.

‘There are two kinds of people with lawyers on tap, Mr Grey. The powerful and the corrupt.’
‘Thank you.’
‘For implying you’re powerful?’
‘For imagining those are two different groups.’

Published December 1st 2011 by Twelfth Planet Press

To ask other readers questions about Bad Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Power

Deborah Biancotti
Aug 04, 2014 Deborah Biancotti added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: writer-women, oz
Well, OF COURSE I read it! I wrote the darn thing.
Thoraiya
In the hands of a more pedestrian writer these stories might have seemed too...X-men. But Biancotti is different. In a good way. And I loved the Sydney settings. "Palming the Lady" and "Bad Power" both affected me very strongly and I would count them amongst the best short stories I've read this year.
Kirstyn McDermott
A masterful short story suite which explores what it might really be like to have super powers, or to simply live in a world where others possess them. And it doesn't give too much away to say, it ain't that great, kids! Biancotti imagines a society where the haves and have-nots are even more starkly delineated than our own, allowing for a smart, nuanced -- and not completely cynical -- examination of inequality, privilege and power of all kinds.

Another superb addition to the Twelve Planets ser
Julia
An Australian sf/fantasy publisher Twelfth Planet Press is releasing a series of collections by Australian writers. I picked up Tansy Rayner Roberts' "Love and Romanpunk" on a recommendation, loved it to itty pieces, and subscribed to the full set on a whim. Deborah Biancotti's "Bad Power" deals with super powers, so it was logical as the comics/superhero fan that I am, I'd be drawn to read that one next. But this is not the shiny four colored extravaganza you're used to with comics, this is mor ...more
Alexandra

This fourth in the Twelve Planets series, from Alisa at Twelfth Planet Press, comes back to the idea presented by the first collection - that of an interconnected suite of stories, which build on and enhance one another but also stand by themselves. I think this comes second only to Love and Romanpunk for me, so far, and as I've already discussed, I'm in no way unbiased about that delightful little book.

The overarching idea here in Deborah Biancotti's set is, as the title suggests, the use and
Martin Livings
These stories are a real departure for Deborah Biancotti - her previous work, such as the brillant short story collection A Book Of Endings, is considerably more fantastical, and also quite obtuse and obscure (in the best possible ways, of course!). But with Bad Power, we get to see a new side of her writing, one which I believe she's exploring more these days. It's more crime fiction than science fiction, with the bare-boned no nonsense prose that the genre excels at. It's uniquely interstitial ...more
Sean the Bookonaut
Bad Power is the Twelfth Planet collection featuring the work of Crawford award nominee Deborah Biancotti.

The jacket copy says “If you like Haven or heroes, you’ll love Bad power.” While I think Heroes suffers from the American propensity to drag successful ideas out to the point where they lose dramatic tension, I really like Haven.

Bad power is more akin to the later, more subdued, and understated. It also makes me think of Misfits, in the sense that having powers is never quite the as good as
Tsana Dolichva
Review originally posted here: http://tsanasreads.tumblr.com/post/17...

Bad Power is set (mostly) in modern Sydney in a world where some people have an inexplicable power: talking to dead people, seeing the future, immortality, and a few less common powers. And, although most of the protagonists have super powers, none of them are heroes (well, with one possible exception).

A few words about each of the stories:

Shades of Grey

The first thing that struck me about Biancotti’s writing when I started r
Mark Webb
This review forms part of my contribution to theAustralian Women Writers 2012 Reading Challenge.

Bad Powerby Deborah Biancotti is one of theTwelve Planets seriespublished byTwelfth Planet Press(12 boutique collections of stories by Australian women writers). It is made up of five shorter stories, including:

- Shades of Grey
- Palming the Lady
- Web of Lies
- Bad Power
- Cross That Bridge

This is the first work by Ms Biancotti that I've read and I really enjoyed it. The five stories are set it the
Deb
Question: Who wouldn’t love to have a superpower?

Answer: The characters in the short stories of Bad Power, who discover that power isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

The power to never die, to see the futures of those around you, to tell others what to do (and they do it!) – all of these seem like good things, until they rule your life and you can’t escape them. Unable to escape their “bad” powers, they become resigned or submit to their fates.

Characters from one story will appear in others and
Narrelle
Bad Power contains five short stories set in a world where there are people with powers, though no superheroes. Instead, people slowly come to realise that they have abilities – some of them very subtle – and have to confront what it means for their everyday lives.

Anyone who has read Biancotti’s Book of Endings will already be familiar with her ability to infuse the everyday - the mundanely human - with a sense of creeping horror. Her work is full of the textures of human frailty as well as stre
Katharine
Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

To be safe, I won't be recording my review here until after the AA are over.

Constantly well written, enthralling and very well presented. I loved how they were all woven together and would love to have seen more.
Jane Routley
Loved these stories about Supernatural powers misused or just going wrong. Biancotti is a master storyteller and I'd love to see a whole book about Detective Palmer. Thank you Twelth Planet Press for producing this little book.
"Hate superheros? Yeah they probably hate you, too."
Alan Baxter
A solid collection exploring superpowers in everyday folk, neatly combined into police procedural stories and one historical yarn. This is a suite of five stories, all connected in some ways, with cool recurring characters.
Tehani
Thoroughly THOROUGHLY enjoyed every one of these! Fabulous collection, beautifully written. This is what smart superpower stories look like, right here.
Liz
Really liked this one - crime infused with weird. Proper review to come.
Mihai Adascalitei
Hate superheroes?
Yeah. They probably hate you, too.

‘Thank you.’
‘For implying you’re powerful?’
‘For imagining those are two different groups.’

From Crawford Award nominee Deborah Biancotti comes this sinister short story suite, a pocketbook police procedural, set in a world where the victories are only relative, and the defeats are absolute. Bad Power celebrates the worst kind of powers both supernatural and
Anthony Panegyres
A wonderful writer. Biancotti's prose flows seamlessly and her dialogue is sharp and insightful. Loved this intertwined collection of five 'meaty' long-short stories, all with juicy narratives. Australia has a wealth of talent in the spec-fic field and this collection is certainly further evidence of this.

Look forward to reading more of her work.
Rivqa
This is a fine collection of linked short stories, without any labouring over the links. The almost-noir crime elements and the philosophical quandaries posed (again, unlaboured) leave plenty to chew over.
Elanor Matton-Johnson
A fascinating set of stories about what might happen if ordinary people ended up with strange powers.
Paul
8/10

Fabulous stories by a fabulous Australian writer.
Tamara Felsinger
Yup, it was awesome. I'm depressed it's finished!
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Maureen
Maureen is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2014
Ben Rowe
Ben Rowe marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Anna Hepworth
Anna Hepworth marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
2920678
Deborah Biancotti is a writer based in inner-city Sydney, Australia. Her first collection, A BOOK OF ENDINGS (Twelfth Planet Press), was shortlisted for the 2010 William L. Crawford Award for Best First Fantasy Book.

Her first novella, from the ISHTAR anthology (Gilgamesh Press), was shortlisted for a Shirley Jackson Award for Best Novella.

And long ago, her first short story won an Aurealis Award f
More about Deborah Biancotti...
Ishtar A Book of Endings A Scar for Leida The First and Final Game Review of Australian Fiction - No Mercy for the Executioner / Burning the Ladies Bones (Volume 11, Issue 6)