Start by marking “Shivaji The Great” as Want to Read:
Shivaji The Great

Shivaji The Great

4.5  ·  Rating Details ·  2,271 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
This is a biography of "Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj" written by Ranjit Desai originally in Marathi, Now this book is its translated version in English.

It is a glorious life story of "Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj" who is the idol of Indians in general and Maharashtrians in particular. He was the versatile personality as a general, warrior, statesman, patriot, benevolent kin
Published July 2010 by Balwant Printers Pvt. Ltd. (first published January 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Shivaji The Great, please sign up.

Vijay Rayasam Best way would be to purchase own copy from a book library or online.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Vijay Rayasam You get it in any local book stores or local libraries. Otherwise try purchasing online from bookganga.com

Avadhut
Dec 10, 2011 Avadhut rated it it was amazing

Language – Marathi/English

My Rating – 5/5

Summary –

Shreeman Yogi is a historical novel depicting life of Chatrapati Shivaji. Scripted by Ranjit Desai, the celebrated Marathi author, Shreeman Yogi along with Swami is considered as the best among his works.

Review –

Being a Maharashtrian it is extremely difficult for me to critically review any work on the life of Shivaji. Shivaji is revered by us as the greatest among the Indian kings. So rather than writing ab
Apoorv  Moghe
It is one thrilling ride.. through history and mystery !
What is the most charming facet of the book is its sensitivity. The way Ranjit Desai handles his pen is definitely as worthy as how the great Shivaji would have had handled his mighty sword.

This is an ode to the magnum-opus called Shivaji, not just as a king and a warrior but also as a person !
Santosh
Nov 29, 2012 Santosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
no words to express...
अंगावर काटा येतो , रकत उसळायला लागत ,आतून आवाज येतो हर हर महादेव !
red this book several times, first time red when i was in 4 std. , give me strength to fight against all odds...
dhrona
Mar 28, 2016 dhrona rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
If you have been desperate to read about Shivaji and had trouble reading refined Marathi then this might be your best hope. This is not really a biography but more a dramatized presentation of Shivaji's life.

I have enjoyed reading this book, mostly because I had wanted to read about him for a long time. If you are well conversant with Marathi then you should read the original "Shrimanyogi" by Ranjit Desai. This book is a translation and doesn't really live up to the original book. The translati
Shweta
Jul 14, 2015 Shweta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marathi, history
Heart touching saga of the great Maratha Warrior. A must read for every history lover.
Vijay Rayasam
I recently completed reading this book. I found it very beautiful and more importantly the feelings erupt from us while reading it. The discriptions made in this book are amazing and will definately make you cry. While reading we can actually imagine the entire scene running in front of our eyes. Another important feature is being a non maharshtrian i could read and understand the language, so the language used by the author is very simple. So my request to those people who are non maharashtrian ...more
Nitin Kulkarni
Aug 30, 2012 Nitin Kulkarni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is the best fiction,or rather imaginary book based on great maratha warrior chhatrpati shivaji...... i m saying that because its not written as history...... but a story.
Rahul
Aug 14, 2011 Rahul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book inspired me in my tough times of life... i thank the author for writing it!!!
Nitin Kulkarni
Aug 30, 2012 Nitin Kulkarni rated it it was amazing
i was lucky to spend some memorable moments with ranjeetdada over a period of time. he used to get stuck in to the subject he is writing about, i`ve seen him doing that when he was handling " RAJA RAVIVERMA". this was in htl gokul,kolhapur, maharashtra.
Shrirang Deshpande
Very fantastic journey of shivaji maharaj
SAM
Jun 16, 2016 SAM rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sam
i want to read this book.
Sagar Mujumdar
Dec 22, 2015 Sagar Mujumdar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Romanchak! Apratim!!
Mrunmai Kulkarni
The book shows the depths to which the author has gone to find details about the life of the Great Shivaji Maharaj. Of course it's not my place to comment on anything. Ranjit Desai is a great author and is truly revered.
Ajay Lad
Oct 11, 2014 Ajay Lad rated it it was amazing
“The epoch-maker Chhatrapati was at first a Muslim’s dependent but he managed from the age of fifteen to free his small jagir of Poona and based his future greatness on that small beginning, entirely relying on his own effort and initiative. ….. He welded the scattered elements of his people into united body and with their help accomplished his main object.
He established an independent kingdom of his own stretching from Salher and Ahiwant in the West Khandesh to Tanjore on the Kaveri, with uncha
Yogesh Kamble
May 07, 2015 Yogesh Kamble rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian-history
One of the best book I ever read and after reading this book I truly understand Shivaji Maharaj and his Nature and how he build Maratha Empire.

The way the book is written by Ranjit Desai is awesome, while reading book whole history play in front of your eyes and you just feel you are with Shivaji Maharaj in his Life Journey.

Each and every situation is very detailed explained by Ranjit Desai that shows how much research writer had made while writing this book.

Book will properly explain how Shivaj
Aniket Mahajani
Mar 31, 2015 Aniket Mahajani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are various books in marathi on Shivaji, no doubt his life is full of all thats required for a novel that there is hardly anyone who wont like to write about him....have gone through few of such books on him already, as compared to "Raja Shivchhatrapati" by Babasaheb Purandare,felt this is not that elaborative & detailed...although its rich enough to portray the great kings life n almost all aspects in it
Mayuresh Mahimkar
अपरतिम..... Must read book ...more
Ankit Agarwal
Oct 04, 2013 Ankit Agarwal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts out a bit slow, but draws you in as the story progresses. Takes a pragmatic look at the life of Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. Doesn't potray him as a demigod but a human being who overcame tremendous odds to set an example for generations to come. Highly recommended for anybody with an interest in history.
Pranav PATIL
Oct 06, 2015 Pranav PATIL rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best researched book ever. Just loved the way it is written. Very interesting, this was the 2nd book on Chattrapathi Shivaji. You'll be so satisfied after buying it. A real gem of Indian Literature. The Author is of my district and later I came to know that he was very close to my uncle. My mind was honored after reading it.
Varad
Feb 01, 2016 Varad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a source of inspiration, a source of positivity. You will learn a lot.
Shri.Desai sir has written extremely well and in very easy language to understand anyone
Really this is a book I will advise anyone to read
Prachiti Talathi
Shriman Yogi is a book about Shivaji Maharaj. There are various books written on Shivaji Maharaj, King of Maratha Kingdom. This is one of my favourite. This book focuses on the struggle Maharaj faced in his life while building a nation. Worth read by all Marathi speakers.
Subhash Gole
Jan 03, 2016 Subhash Gole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i read many book on The Great Hindu King Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj But this book is one of great book, spacial y Narahar Kurandikar introduction on Shivaji Maharaj.
Overall view of writer (Ranjit Desai) is good & it is great criation.
Kedar Takalkar
Oct 17, 2015 Kedar Takalkar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it umpteen no of times.... beautiful language... describing one of the most thrilling n courageous part of Indian and in particular, Maharashtra's history.... the scenes are epic..... N so is the life of Shivaji Maharaj....
Ayush Sen
Mar 31, 2015 Ayush Sen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the best book that i have ever read.
SHIVAJI completly a true hero and a great leader
MUST READ....
Madhav G
Jun 06, 2016 Madhav G rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marathi
speech less.................................................................when I was reading the last 10 pages of this book,literally tears were falling down from my cheeks....:(
Avadhut
Sep 25, 2012 Avadhut rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous book.
Must read by everyone who don't know or want to know more about The Chhatrapati (King) Shivaji Maharaj.
Mangesh Ghodake
Feb 12, 2016 Mangesh Ghodake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you know Marathi then I that should be first book that you should read. Accurate presentation of history with natural story telling form.
Arun Kshirsagar
Feb 16, 2013 Arun Kshirsagar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ummm... I want to read this book online... What am i supposed to do...?? :( can i read it over here...??
Amit
Dec 05, 2013 Amit marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
please tell me how to read online this book. tell me step by step how i can get this book to read online....
Sudhir Tingare
Feb 10, 2014 Sudhir Tingare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ranjeet desai's humour to historical events and applying human emotions to people of that time is a nice experience to read ..
  • असा मी असामी [Asa Mi Asami]
  • Yugandhar
  • Panipat
  • Raja ShivChatrapati
  • Shyamchi Aai
  • Bangarwadi (बानगरवाडी)
  • Majhi Janmathep
  • Zunj
  • Ek hota Carver (एक होता कार्व्हर)
  • Amrutvel
परसिदध कादंबरीकार , कथालेखक , नाटककार . रणजित देसाई मूळचे कोलहापूरचया कोवाडचे. इंगरजी शाळेत असतानाच तयांनी लेखनाला सुरुवात केली. कोलहापूरचया ' महादवार ' मधून तयांनी कथालेखन करायला सुरुवात केली.

इंटर नापास असलेलया देसाई यांनी मधये परसाद मासिकाने आयोजीत केलेलया कथासपरधेत भैरव ही कथा सादर केली. तयांचया कथेला पारितोषिक मिळाले. या पारितोषिकामुळे तयांचया कथालेखनाला परोतसाहन मिळाले. रुपमहाल () , कणंव ()
More about रणजित देसाई [Ranjit Desai]...