The Shattered Dark (Shadow Reader, #2)

The Shattered Dark (Shadow Reader #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,508 ratings  ·  274 reviews
McKenzie Lewis has a gift. It allows her access to a world few have seen, and even fewer can comprehend. It’s her secret. And it exists in the shadows…

McKenzie was a normal college student, save for one little twist: she’s a shadow reader, someone who can both see the fae and track their movements between our world and the Realm. It’s a gift for which she has been called...more
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published October 30th 2012 by Ace

Lover Reborn by J.R. WardOnce Burned by Jeaniene FrostIced by Karen Marie MoningDeadlocked by Charlaine HarrisBiting Cold by Chloe Neill
Most Anticipated Books of 2012! {PNR, UF & PNYA}
86th out of 521 books — 1,775 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
442nd out of 2,497 books — 15,907 voters

More lists with this book...

Cristina Buzoianu
Posted at Bibliophile Mystery
I finished it an hour ago, and I can't do anything but stare blankly...
Oh Sandy! Why did you do this to me? I'll die until the ARC for the final book is available! And I promise I'll haunt you just to know the ending! One thing is solidly clear: you're an amazing author! I'll convince everyone I can to read your books! The story, the writing style, the feelings you get while reading, they're all incredible!

Oh Aren! *cries*

Photobucket
UPDATE (later, same day)

The Shadow Reader...more
mrsj
Dear Sandy,

BUT...

I don't understand.

Isn't it settled nicely in book 1?
Isn't it?

It was interesting, with the mysteries.. with the twists.. with the betrayals and etc.
BUT THIS?

I am devastated.
That chapter you wrote?

And the whole change of event?

Obviously , I don't take this very well.

I mean...
She..
He...
And he...
Then... they...

So, now what???
We are to wait for book 3?
For answers? For solution to that icky problem you wrote??
I hope you don't use death of a certain character to get out of it.

Very...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
"If I could undo my past for you, McKenzie, I would. But I don't have that power. No fae does."

Original reaction moments after finishing :

%$@%&"*@%#$#!!!

Mother effin son of a basket weaver!!! My heart can't take this turn of events! Review to come later after I've calmed down somewhat.

Hours later :

Hmmm...I might have overreacted a tad.

Actual review :

It pains me to have to throw out another 3.5 star review this week because I really want to commit to a solid 4 star review, but there's no...more
AH
Slow start, becomes action-packed midway. 3.5 stars.

The Shattered Dark was one of my most anticipated releases of 2012. I loved The Shadow Reader and I could not get enough of author Sandy Williams’ world of the fae. Oh, and with heroes like Aren and Kyol, what more could I ask? The Shattered Dark picks up right after the events of the first book. The fae realm is in turmoil; a group of dissenters calling themselves The Remnants are not happy with the new ruler. There is a lot of political intr...more
Renee Sweet
12/10/12 re-reading the final version! So excited!

------------------------------------------------------------
I had an opportunity to read an early copy of THE SHATTERED DARK and let me tell you, people: it is a page-turner. What a fantastic follow-up to THE SHADOW READER! I could not put it down. It's super action-packed and McKenzie is put through the emotional wringer all over again. And the ending? ROCKS. Definitely a favorite read of 2012 so far.

I can't wait for book 3.

If you enjoyed THE SH...more
✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
With the defeat of King Atroth, McKenzie's stuck in the middle of the Fae war. Sides have been switched and it's hard to always tell who can be trusted. Then McKenzie's best friend, Paige, turns up missing and has been taken by the remnants, who are fae that are still loyal to the King. McKenzie has to rescue her even though she has a feeling it might not be easy.

I felt like there was nonstop fighting in this book! Every time McKenzie needed to go somewhere, there was always battles and she was...more
Susana
2,5 stars (grudginly given)

My thoughts after finishing this book:
I'm so, so, mad that i could throw this book out my window...

So after an amazing first book, one has this!

Let me start by saying that i hate love triangles. I do, i really do.
The only way i can put up with them, is because once they're resolved, that's it there isn't more pointless emotional drama. NO more back and forth...the characters confess their everlasting love, blá, blá, which permits a reader to focus on the story. Which l...more
Julie
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Does this ever happen to you while you’re reading: You are reading along and think to yourself that not a whole lot of advancement is happening to the story until you get to the end and while looking back on the book you realize that actually a whole hell of a lot happened? That is what happened to me when I read The Shattered Dark, the second book in Sandy Williams’ McKenzie Lewis series. This book is a typical book two meaning it just trudges along not...more
Alexandria
*SPOILERS!!!!!!!!*

When I first started this novel I was all like....
description

Yes, freaking ecstatic; like a five year old on their birthday. I was practically drooling on myself to get this book. I was counting down the months, weeks, and then days of this books release. In the first few chapters, I was loving it; eating it up like I eat chocolate when its that time of the month. And the beginning was great. It was action packed and quickly paced just like the last one.

But this novel also helped me reali...more
Jamie
Originally posted at www.Addicted2Heroines.com

Special thanks to ACE for providing a review copy!

Sandy Williams has done it again. The Shattered Dark is an action-packed tale filled with love, betrayal, rebellion and heartache. It is an intense, well-written book that will have you shouting for more when you read the final page. After reading this book, the upcoming third book in this series has become my "most anticipated book" of 2013.

The Shattered Dark begins with the kidnapping of McKenzie's...more
Steph Sinclair

Okay, I'm really excited for this book, but another sword on the cover? I mean, McKenzie didn't wield a sword in book one. Is she actually going to use one this time around?!
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy See site review for similar titles

McKenzie Lewis, a human with the highly sought after ability to track fae, is back and once again embroiled in the fae civil war. In THE SHATTERED DARK, there’s not quite as much story development, but be prepared for non-stop action, intrigue, and a few bombshells that will leave you dying for book three.

While THE SHADOW READER was one of my best reads in 2011, unfortunately, THE SHATTERED DARK does fall into the trap...more
Jenese (Readers Confession)
I feel as though I've been waiting for this book to come out F-O-R-E-V-E-R! Then I looked back at my Goodreads and I only read The Shadow Reader in January. Ooopss! Well...that's what happens to me when I read such a spectacular debut book/author and have to wait 9 months. I was so immersed in this book that a few nights after I finished, I dreamed about Fae and their problems with tech (technology). LOL!

If you're not into Fae books, no worries, I really wasn't either. The Shadow Reader was rec...more
Lisa O.
No. No, no, no, noooooo. You can't leave me hanging like this without even a hint of a date - a year! - of when the next book's planned...
Crap. This is one of those series I wish I'd picked up when completed.
But anyway. The Shattered Dark started off way worse than I expected. It's kind of slow at the beginning and pretty boring too. By 20 % in I was pretty much convinced that it suffered from a serious case of middle book syndrome. Which it does, to a certain extent.
The action takes ages to p...more
Melliane
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I really wanted to read this second novel since the end of the first one. This series is really interesting and dynamic. McKenzie is a unique character that we can only love to follow. Poor Kenzie, something is always happening to her and she doesn’t expect that at all. Each new problem turns her life upside down a little more.

The first volume was a surprise for me and I have to say that this one is as good as the previous. Mckenzie finds herself once again i...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4

*Review*

The Shattered Dark is the highly anticipated sequel to 2011's The Shadow Reader. The book is filled with action, suspense, betrayal by the most unexpected source, and decisions that are made without Kenzie's consent, as well as the the ole reliable three way love triangle that just won’t go away no matter how hard you wish it to.

McKenzie Lewis is a rare breed of human who has been gifted with the ability to see the Fae as well as track their shadows (moveme...more
Boyanna
hey people i find this on the Sandy Williams blog/website, it's an Excerpt from The Shattered Dark, it doesn't revile much, but it's better than nothing :) right?

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres*
The Shattered Dark is urban fantasy gold - nonstop action, complex world building, and an absorbing romance. I adored the first book in this series. In fact, I read it in two nights staying up until four in the morning. Reading this sequel wasn't much different. I read it in one day, finishing at 2 A.M. with a sigh. Sandy Williams really knows how to suck me in to her stories and I was completely emerged in McKenzie's world while reading.

In The Shadow Reader, Williams set the pace for her series...more
I love the cover! I can't wait for this book, so excited!

Update:

4.5 Stars

I loved this book, I really did. Rating it just shy of 5 stars is mainly because the first one set the bar so high. This installment was non stop action, and had me reading chapters before I even realized it. The main flaw I had with this book is even with the non stop action, I felt like not a lot was happening. We weren't moving on enough in the story for the pacing of the action. We would have all these fight scenes whi...more
Nikita Ompang
That ending was so heart-breaking. And I hated it.

Every time I read the part where Aren is present, I just fall for him even more. *Sigh* I can't believe it but he's just so... so... Aren. lol

OH MY GOD!!! Next year?! NEXT FREAKING YEAR?!?! That's too long! I can't be in agony for THAT long! I have, no - NEED to have this book sooner!!!

Ooh! Another kickass cover! Love it! Hope the book's as good as the cover! :))
mich

3.5 stars -- same as The Shadow Reader, but rounding down instead of up this time because I enjoyed the first book way more.

The main reason is that this one just took me a really long time to get into – I was pretty bored throughout more than half of it. The plot wasn’t grabbing me and I didn’t feel any real tension or excitement about anything for a long time (I guess I was supposed to be all concerned about Paige but…I dunno. I just wasn’t.)

Also, I noticed a lot of repetition in McKenzie’s t...more
Kira
I have a feeling that if I re-read this book after the third and final installment is out, I will like it a lot more than I do right now. That's why I'm giving it four stars. I'm supremely frustrated with the ending, and was bored for the first third of the book, but the last 14% was worth the whole read and I'm still fully invested in this series. I need closure on this whole Aren/Kyol situation, especially since it was so beautifully black and white right up till the end.

I left Kyol because I
Didi
SERIOUSLY??? NO, SERIOUSLY???!!!

I want to start this review in order, discussing a quick synopsis, how I felt and what happened. But I am PISSED. Yes, pissed to hell for what I've been left to ponder. On my own. For several months. PISSED.

I knew there was supposed to be some sort of development that really irked people. I was anticipating it. I was in full expectation mode. Up until 94% I was coasting. Yes, there were lots of developments. tons! and I thought, maybe people were being ralled up o...more
Simona Ithil
I love this book, it was so good. I don't want to cry... but I love Aren so much, so pretty please McKenzie, pick him!!!
Alisha
Oct 28, 2012 Alisha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans who appreciate focus on the "fantasy" part of "urban fantasy"
Shelves: bli-rev
Forgive me ahead of time if this review ends up seeming like a spiral of nonsensical rambling. It’s just that I’m excited about this book! I began it expecting an enjoyable read, and finished it feeling like I got an amazing one. (Feel free to check out my review of the first book in this series, The Shadow Reader.) I’ll try to keep this review spoiler free, k?

The Shattered Dark takes place approximately two weeks after the conclusion of The Shadow Reader. And like many urban fantasy series, its...more
Lorelle
4.5. It saddens me to not pump out a 5 star for this, as the world she creates is so rich and you can tell works so hard to bring it together. I really hope that I am not "dumbing down" my reading , by accepting complicated reads as too hard , as they make my head hurt. I guess its the authors job to make this an interesting and enjoyable read. There was so much bloody fissuring going on , I was really having to concentrate . It didnt flow as well as the first one, events were all over the shop....more
Tori  smexys_sidekick
3.5

Originally posted at http://smexybooks.com/2012/10/review-...

Favorite Quote: “It’s a familiar feeling, being pushed to the side like this.“

Sandy Williams once again takes us on a dark, twisted journey with the second installment of her dynamic urban fantasy McKenzie Lewis series, The Shattered Dark. Our heroine McKenzie Lewis isn’t your average urban fantasy heroine. She has a unique gift, the ability to read and locate Elves through the trace of magic they leave when transporting, but no spe...more
Suzanne
I found The Shattered Dark a little bit slower at the start than The Shadow Reader, but once it kicked off, it was just as awesome.

The rebels managed to enter and take over the palace by killing the king, Atroth, and his right hand man. But the nobles won't accept Lena as queen and they're under constant attack from the remnants, a group who remain loyal to Atroth and want to take the palace back from the rebels, and put another descendant on the throne. And along the way, Paige, McKenzie's onl...more
Mithrendiel
I started reading Shattered Dark with a good deal of trepidation. It's the second book in a trilogy - and we all know second books tend to struggle. The reviews I've seen for it were also fairly luke warm. But I have to say - I loved this book. I thought the author did a great job staying true to the pace, and themes she set up in Shadow Reader. The world was just as interesting. The romantic tension was still there - it's just changed a bit. The end was less cathartic in some ways, more so in o...more
The Lost Challenges: * The Shattered Dark by by Sandy Williams 70 18 Jul 11, 2014 11:32AM
  • A Trace of Moonlight (Abby Sinclair, #3)
  • Blood on the Bayou (Annabelle Lee, #2)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • Blood Before Sunrise (Shaede Assassin, #2)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • The Ripple Effect (Rhiannon's Law, #3)
  • Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
  • Shadow City (Horngate Witches, #3)
  • Fury of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #6)
  • Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3)
  • Black Lament (Black Wings, #4)
  • Darkness Hunts (Dark Angels, #4)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
Sandy Williams graduated from Texas A&M University with degrees in political science and history. She worked as a librarian until her husband whisked her off to London on an extended business trip. Now, she’s back in Texas, writing full time and moonlighting as a librarian. Visit her on the web at www.sandy-williams.com.
More about Sandy Williams...
The Shadow Reader (Shadow Reader, #1) The Sharpest Blade (Shadow Reader, #3)

“The complete truth, McKenzie, is I’d do anything for you, but you ask for nothing. You won’t confide in me. You won’t rely on me. You’re so preoccupied trying to decide if you can trust your feelings that you won’t consider giving in to them.” 13 likes
“Nothing matters but him and us and this, the way he makes me feel like I’m everything to him. Sometime in the last month, he’s become everything to me.” 12 likes