Start by marking “The Shattered Dark (Shadow Reader, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shattered Dark (Shadow Reader, #2)

The Shattered Dark (Shadow Reader #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  2,180 ratings  ·  301 reviews
McKenzie Lewis has a gift. It allows her access to a world few have seen, and even fewer can comprehend. It’s her secret. And it exists in the shadows…

McKenzie was a normal college student, save for one little twist: she’s a shadow reader, someone who can both see the fae and track their movements between our world and the Realm. It’s a gift for which she has been called
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published October 30th 2012 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about The Shattered Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shattered Dark

Lover Reborn by J.R. WardOnce Burned by Jeaniene FrostIced by Karen Marie MoningDeadlocked by Charlaine HarrisBiting Cold by Chloe Neill
Most Anticipated Books of 2012! {PNR, UF & PNYA}
86th out of 621 books — 1,790 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
440th out of 2,495 books — 15,914 voters

More lists with this book...

Cristina Buzoianu
Posted at Bibliophile Mystery
I finished it an hour ago, and I can't do anything but stare blankly...
Oh Sandy! Why did you do this to me? I'll die until the ARC for the final book is available! And I promise I'll haunt you just to know the ending! One thing is solidly clear: you're an amazing author! I'll convince everyone I can to read your books! The story, the writing style, the feelings you get while reading, they're all incredible!

Oh Aren! *cries*

UPDATE (later, same day)

The Shadow Reader
Dear Sandy,

I don't understand.

Isn't it settled nicely in book 1?
Isn't it?

It was interesting, with the mysteries.. with the twists.. with the betrayals and etc.

I am devastated.
That chapter you wrote?

And the whole change of event?

Obviously , I don't take this very well.

I mean...
And he...
Then... they...

So, now what???
We are to wait for book 3?
For answers? For solution to that icky problem you wrote??
I hope you don't use death of a certain character to get out of it.

Stacia (the 2010 club)
"If I could undo my past for you, McKenzie, I would. But I don't have that power. No fae does."

Original reaction moments after finishing :

Mother effin son of a basket weaver!!! My heart can't take this turn of events! Review to come later after I've calmed down somewhat.

Hours later :

Hmmm...I might have overreacted a tad.

Actual review :

It pains me to have to throw out another 3.5 star review this week because I really want to commit to a solid 4 star review, but there's no
Slow start, becomes action-packed midway. 3.5 stars.

The Shattered Dark was one of my most anticipated releases of 2012. I loved The Shadow Reader and I could not get enough of author Sandy Williams’ world of the fae. Oh, and with heroes like Aren and Kyol, what more could I ask? The Shattered Dark picks up right after the events of the first book. The fae realm is in turmoil; a group of dissenters calling themselves The Remnants are not happy with the new ruler. There is a lot of political intr
Renee Sweet
12/10/12 re-reading the final version! So excited!

I had an opportunity to read an early copy of THE SHATTERED DARK and let me tell you, people: it is a page-turner. What a fantastic follow-up to THE SHADOW READER! I could not put it down. It's super action-packed and McKenzie is put through the emotional wringer all over again. And the ending? ROCKS. Definitely a favorite read of 2012 so far.

I can't wait for book 3.

If you enjoyed THE SH
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
With the defeat of King Atroth, McKenzie's stuck in the middle of the Fae war. Sides have been switched and it's hard to always tell who can be trusted. Then McKenzie's best friend, Paige, turns up missing and has been taken by the remnants, who are fae that are still loyal to the King. McKenzie has to rescue her even though she has a feeling it might not be easy.

I felt like there was nonstop fighting in this book! Every time McKenzie needed to go somewhere, there was always battles and she was

When I first started this novel I was all like....

Yes, freaking ecstatic; like a five year old on their birthday. I was practically drooling on myself to get this book. I was counting down the months, weeks, and then days of this books release. In the first few chapters, I was loving it; eating it up like I eat chocolate when its that time of the month. And the beginning was great. It was action packed and quickly paced just like the last one.

But this novel also helped me reali
2,5 stars (grudginly given)

My thoughts after finishing this book:
I'm so, so, mad that i could throw this book out my window...

So after an amazing first book, one has this!

Let me start by saying that i hate love triangles. I do, i really do.
The only way i can put up with them, is because once they're resolved, that's it there isn't more pointless emotional drama. NO more back and forth...the characters confess their everlasting love, blá, blá, which permits a reader to focus on the story. Which l
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Does this ever happen to you while you’re reading: You are reading along and think to yourself that not a whole lot of advancement is happening to the story until you get to the end and while looking back on the book you realize that actually a whole hell of a lot happened? That is what happened to me when I read The Shattered Dark, the second book in Sandy Williams’ McKenzie Lewis series. This book is a typical book two meaning it just trudges along no
Wendy Darling
Nooooooooooooooooo! :(

3.5 stars, rounded up begrudgingly.
Originally posted at

Special thanks to ACE for providing a review copy!

Sandy Williams has done it again. The Shattered Dark is an action-packed tale filled with love, betrayal, rebellion and heartache. It is an intense, well-written book that will have you shouting for more when you read the final page. After reading this book, the upcoming third book in this series has become my "most anticipated book" of 2013.

The Shattered Dark begins with the kidnapping of McKenzie's
Sophia Sardothien
Ehh DNF on 77% it's not that this book is bad or anything I just lost interest in reading it xD
Steph Sinclair

Okay, I'm really excited for this book, but another sword on the cover? I mean, McKenzie didn't wield a sword in book one. Is she actually going to use one this time around?!
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy See site review for similar titles

McKenzie Lewis, a human with the highly sought after ability to track fae, is back and once again embroiled in the fae civil war. In THE SHATTERED DARK, there’s not quite as much story development, but be prepared for non-stop action, intrigue, and a few bombshells that will leave you dying for book three.

While THE SHADOW READER was one of my best reads in 2011, unfortunately, THE SHATTERED DARK does fall into the trap
Jenese (Readers Confession)
I feel as though I've been waiting for this book to come out F-O-R-E-V-E-R! Then I looked back at my Goodreads and I only read The Shadow Reader in January. Ooopss! Well...that's what happens to me when I read such a spectacular debut book/author and have to wait 9 months. I was so immersed in this book that a few nights after I finished, I dreamed about Fae and their problems with tech (technology). LOL!

If you're not into Fae books, no worries, I really wasn't either. The Shadow Reader was rec
No. No, no, no, noooooo. You can't leave me hanging like this without even a hint of a date - a year! - of when the next book's planned...
Crap. This is one of those series I wish I'd picked up when completed.
But anyway. The Shattered Dark started off way worse than I expected. It's kind of slow at the beginning and pretty boring too. By 20 % in I was pretty much convinced that it suffered from a serious case of middle book syndrome. Which it does, to a certain extent.
The action takes ages to p
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I really wanted to read this second novel since the end of the first one. This series is really interesting and dynamic. McKenzie is a unique character that we can only love to follow. Poor Kenzie, something is always happening to her and she doesn’t expect that at all. Each new problem turns her life upside down a little more.

The first volume was a surprise for me and I have to say that this one is as good as the previous. Mckenzie finds herself once again i
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4

The Shattered Dark is the highly anticipated sequel to 2011's The Shadow Reader. The book is filled with action, suspense, betrayal by the most unexpected source, and decisions that are made without Kenzie's consent, as well as the the ole reliable three way love triangle that just won’t go away no matter how hard you wish it to.

McKenzie Lewis is a rare breed of human who has been gifted with the ability to see the Fae as well as track their shadows (moveme
hey people i find this on the Sandy Williams blog/website, it's an Excerpt from The Shattered Dark, it doesn't revile much, but it's better than nothing :) right?
Maldito triángulo amoroso me cagaste otra serie, la que me pario que bronca.
Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres*
The Shattered Dark is urban fantasy gold - nonstop action, complex world building, and an absorbing romance. I adored the first book in this series. In fact, I read it in two nights staying up until four in the morning. Reading this sequel wasn't much different. I read it in one day, finishing at 2 A.M. with a sigh. Sandy Williams really knows how to suck me in to her stories and I was completely emerged in McKenzie's world while reading.

In The Shadow Reader, Williams set the pace for her series
I have a feeling that if I re-read this book after the third and final installment is out, I will like it a lot more than I do right now. That's why I'm giving it four stars. I'm supremely frustrated with the ending, and was bored for the first third of the book, but the last 14% was worth the whole read and I'm still fully invested in this series. I need closure on this whole Aren/Kyol situation, especially since it was so beautifully black and white right up till the end.

I left Kyol because I
Laura Carson
I love the cover! I can't wait for this book, so excited!

4.5 Stars

I loved this book, I really did. Rating it just shy of 5 stars is mainly because the first one set the bar so high. This installment was non stop action, and had me reading chapters before I even realized it. The main flaw I had with this book is even with the non stop action, I felt like not a lot was happening. We weren't moving on enough in the story for the pacing of the action. We would have all these fight scenes whi
Nikita Ompang
That ending was so heart-breaking. And I hated it.

Every time I read the part where Aren is present, I just fall for him even more. *Sigh* I can't believe it but he's just so... so... Aren. lol

OH MY GOD!!! Next year?! NEXT FREAKING YEAR?!?! That's too long! I can't be in agony for THAT long! I have, no - NEED to have this book sooner!!!

Ooh! Another kickass cover! Love it! Hope the book's as good as the cover! :))
Simona Ithil
I love this book, it was so good. I don't want to cry... but I love Aren so much, so pretty please McKenzie, pick him!!!

3.5 stars -- same as The Shadow Reader, but rounding down instead of up this time because I enjoyed the first book way more.

The main reason is that this one just took me a really long time to get into – I was pretty bored throughout more than half of it. The plot wasn’t grabbing me and I didn’t feel any real tension or excitement about anything for a long time (I guess I was supposed to be all concerned about Paige but…I dunno. I just wasn’t.)

Also, I noticed a lot of repetition in McKenzie’s t

I want to start this review in order, discussing a quick synopsis, how I felt and what happened. But I am PISSED. Yes, pissed to hell for what I've been left to ponder. On my own. For several months. PISSED.

I knew there was supposed to be some sort of development that really irked people. I was anticipating it. I was in full expectation mode. Up until 94% I was coasting. Yes, there were lots of developments. tons! and I thought, maybe people were being ralled up o
Oct 28, 2012 Alisha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans who appreciate focus on the "fantasy" part of "urban fantasy"
Shelves: bli-rev
Forgive me ahead of time if this review ends up seeming like a spiral of nonsensical rambling. It’s just that I’m excited about this book! I began it expecting an enjoyable read, and finished it feeling like I got an amazing one. (Feel free to check out my review of the first book in this series, The Shadow Reader.) I’ll try to keep this review spoiler free, k?

The Shattered Dark takes place approximately two weeks after the conclusion of The Shadow Reader. And like many urban fantasy series, its
McKenzie is really looking forward to her retirement but when Paige goes missing, McKenzie jumps right into getting her back.

There is a lot of character development as well as getting to know more about their past's in THE SHATTERED DARK. The pacing is nice and fast with plenty of edge of your seat moments. I was extremely shocked by how Paige handled everything as well as some of the parts she played throughout the book. I love Aren and McKenzie together. Some things about Aren's past are revea
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession..

Now that the malicious king of the fae is out of the picture and the Rebels have taken over the palace, McKenzie had hoped to finally be able to get back to her normal human life. But she should have known better as the king's remaining loyal fae have brought them to civil war, and the Rebels need McKenzie's shadow reading skills more than ever. Those skills give her the ability to track the fae's moments, an incredibly rare and coveted gift
The Lost Challenges: The Shattered Dark by by Sandy Williams 71 21 Aug 07, 2014 11:36AM
  • A Sliver of Shadow (Abby Sinclair, #2)
  • Blood Before Sunrise (Shaede Assassin, #2)
  • Blood on the Bayou (Annabelle Lee, #2)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists, #3)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • The Ripple Effect (Rhiannon's Law, #3)
  • Shadow City (Horngate Witches, #3)
  • Black Lament (Black Wings, #4)
  • Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • Fury of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #6)
  • Royal Street (Sentinels of New Orleans, #1)
  • Kept (Coveted, #2)
  • Blood Kin (The Half-Light City, #2)
  • Tempt the Stars (Cassandra Palmer, #6)
  • Shadow Bound (Unbound, #2)
Sandy Williams graduated from Texas A&M University with degrees in political science and history. She worked as a librarian until her husband whisked her off to London on an extended business trip. Now, she’s back in Texas, writing full time and moonlighting as a librarian. Visit her on the web at
More about Sandy Williams...

Shadow Reader (3 books)
  • The Shadow Reader (Shadow Reader, #1)
  • The Sharpest Blade (Shadow Reader, #3)
The Shadow Reader (Shadow Reader, #1) The Sharpest Blade (Shadow Reader, #3) Shades of Treason (Anomaly #1) Sidhe - L'Intégrale Painting Garden Animals in Gouache

“The complete truth, McKenzie, is I’d do anything for you, but you ask for nothing. You won’t confide in me. You won’t rely on me. You’re so preoccupied trying to decide if you can trust your feelings that you won’t consider giving in to them.” 13 likes
“How can you be so sure of the way you feel about me?” “You’re human,” Aren says. “You’re the weakest person I know.” The warm, fluttery sensations in my stomach disappear. “Geez, thanks.” He laughs and takes my hands in his before I turn away. “And that makes you the strongest. The most courageous. When I found you on your campus, you fought me. You didn’t give in even though you knew you were outmatched. I was halfway in love with you before we reached Germany.” 12 likes