Start by marking “The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing During the Change” as Want to Read:

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,216 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
Through her bestselling books, groundbreaking PBS specials, and up-to-the-minute clinical knowledge, Dr. Christiane Northrup has earned a place as one of America’s most trusted medical advisors.

In The Wisdom of Menopause, she once again challenges convention with this inspiring look at one of the most commonly misunderstood female health issues. The “change” is not simply
Published October 31st 2006 by Bantam (first published March 6th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Wisdom of Menopause, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wisdom of Menopause

Melody
Mar 01, 2013 Melody rated it did not like it
I read the first, oh, hundred pages and then I started skimming for things to snort at. There were lots of things for my skeptical atheist self to snort at. Including gems like:

"The difference between the postpartum period and perimenopause is that during perimenopause you're giving birth to yourself."

"It has now been scientifically documented that specific patterns of emotional vulnerability affect specific organs or systems of the body." (No footnotes or citations here.)

"One of the first thin
Kathrynn
This book was a valuable tool in my quest for answers to what is happening inside my body during this time of my life. Though the book is a whopping 589 pages, it was easy to read, well laid out, lots of diagrams and charts that helped break up the humdrum. The author shares her personal story in the beginning and then adds to it in the end. She also shares stories from her patients as well as Internet e-mail that she has been sent.

The first few chapters are about Dr. Northrup's personal experi
DearMYRTLE
Dec 26, 2007 DearMYRTLE rated it it was amazing
A good read if you'd like insights from a physician who also believes in acupuncture, herbology, Chinese thoughts, etc. Quite forward thinking. Wish I had this to read in my late 30s so I knew what I was in for.

As it was, I stayed clear of hormone replacement therapy having seen it work disastrously for my mother. Turns out most of what happens in peri-menopause is the result of a woman's body saying "Hey, you must start listening, and being genuine with yourself, honey. Don't sublimate anymore.
Louis
May 01, 2015 Louis rated it really liked it
Perhaps a bit unusual for me, a male, to have read this book. My goal was to understand and support my wife as she is in that stage of her life. To that end this was a successful read. There were also some gender neutral ideas which I appreciated for myself.
Doctor Northrup did a thorough job of going through a variety of related topics and weaving them into the fabric of menopause and how it can be a welcome stage of life.
Did I skim through sections of this book? Absolutely. But I did gain so
JA
May 01, 2013 JA rated it liked it
Once again, I have profoundly mixed feelings about a health-related book. Is it the books, or is it me? Anyway, take the rating of a three as more like an average of reactions all over the map.

This book was initially recommended to me by a friend who suggested using it as a reference: Look up your menopausal symptom of choice, and she'll recommend supplements, dietary changes, and medical treatments pertinent to that issue. It may well be that it would work better in that mode. I instead decide
Gillie
Feb 17, 2016 Gillie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I complained to my doctor that there are no "Growing and Changing Me" classes for women approaching menopause, she recommended this book. I found it to be very informative and inspiring.

Northrup sees menopause as a series of changes designed to turn us away from the other-focused, other-nurturing phase of our lives (largely caused by the hormones that kick in at puberty) and toward a phase of life that will help us live out our own passions and dreams. She mixes "you-go-girl" style inspira
Kelly Sapp
Sep 16, 2012 Kelly Sapp rated it it was ok
I'm loving this book, and there IS wisdom in listening to what our bodies are telling us. My mother used to always say, "thank God for that time of the month, otherwise we'd never clear the air of those things that bother us all month long, but during that time, we have had enough to speak up." Basically, this book says the same is true of menopause. Things become crystal clear. We must either listen to our bodies, and grow, or hold it all in, and die. This can be in dead-end jobs, life-sucking ...more
Rebecca Macarthur
Dec 20, 2014 Rebecca Macarthur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've actually read most of this book already, and for, shall we say, women of a certain age, it's good information on all aspects of "the change." I particularly admire the way Dr. Northrup gives a very balanced summary of ALL options for dealing with the physical symptoms of menopause and not simply the ones where she has a specific ax to grind. In other words, she does a good job of presenting and integrating Western/Eastern/Natural medicine and explaining the science behind these options.

What
Sylvia B
Jan 10, 2009 Sylvia B rated it it was amazing
This is a woman's MUST HAVE!! I read it when it first came on the market and continue to use it as a reference book. I can't tell you how many times I've recommended this to my clients.

If you don't own a copy, get one immediately!
Kecia
Apr 02, 2015 Kecia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
When I pick up a book by an M.D. I expect fact based, peer-reviewed, science. Dr. Northrup does not deliver on that. In the opening chapter she writes about fibroids being caused by blocked creative energy or repressed emotions about my mother. I stopped there.

Sheri
Jul 10, 2016 Sheri rated it it was ok
I'm at that point in life when I need to learn all I can about what is happening or going to happen...
Pamela Angelo
Mar 20, 2010 Pamela Angelo rated it it was amazing
This book is a godsend for anyone going through perimenopause or menopause. Christiane Northrup writes an easy to understand book with a wealth of information.
Ava
Nov 24, 2010 Ava rated it it was amazing
Love Christiane Northrup....She's like a friend who has ALL of the answers. And not just any answer, ones backed up by research and personal experience.
Bev Sturgis
Apr 19, 2015 Bev Sturgis rated it it was ok
Buchdoktor
Die amerikanische Ärztin Christiane Northrup musste sich mit 50 Jahren turbulenten Veränderungen im Berufs- und Privatleben stellen. Sie gründete mit Kolleginnen eine Gemeinschaftspraxis, begann als Dozentin zu arbeiten und trennte sich von ihrem Mann. Ihre Töchter verließen den Heimatort zum Studium, und Northrup erlebte die körperlichen und mentalen Veränderungen des Klimakteriums zum ersten Mal selbst. Die Autorin beschreibt das Älterwerden als Zeitpunkt, zu dem gerade Frauen liebgewonnene ...more
penelopewanders
Started this one many years ago but never finished it... so thought I'd pick it up again.
Big hardback I'm reading in small increments, I put it away while I was on holiday but now it's back in the loo for sporadic reading.

Well, it did take months (years if I count the first time I started it), but I finally plowed my way through this. Parts of it were great, and I really enjoyed certain reflections on the new beginnings this phase of life heralds, as well as thoughts about women and money, women
Vernita Naylor
Feb 24, 2015 Vernita Naylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Vernita by: Ran across it in a store I am an avid book reader read about three books a month

Christiane has done a great job in titling this book because it does take wisdom and a lot of it to handle menopause, even during the pre-menopause stages. She takes you through each essence of how menopause affect the lives of women and those around us. Life is already about changes and causes ebbs and flows but what happens when your body begins to change as it does. For some it is drastic while for ot
Leisha Wharfield
Jun 11, 2009 Leisha Wharfield rated it it was amazing
I must confess I love Christiane Northrup. I read Our Bodies, Our Minds, and loved her completely. I'm loving her even more now. Get this: "It's a safe bet the world is going to change, willingly or otherwise, right along with us. And it's likely to change for the better." And "We are awakening en masse and beginning to deliver a much-needed message of health, hope, and healing to the world." So, the sleeping dragon of the feminine finally wakes! How about this? "Grow . . . or die." My motto for ...more
Beth
A thorough and comfortable guide to the physical, psychological and emotional process of menopause and related health matters, referencing both contemporary Western and complementary medicine. Doctor Northrup's personal and other anecdotal passages are helpful and well written, as are the more medical sections. Her style is as comfortable as a knowledgeable friend's whom one trusts.

Recommended by my very-traditional-Western-medicine gynecologist, so I feel confident in recommending this for any
Christine
Jun 26, 2009 Christine rated it really liked it
Very encouraging, self-empowering book full of practical advice on how to alleviate the uncomfortable symptoms that can accompany perimenopause and menopause.

The symptom that has driven me to read the book is insomnia. I eat a near textbook perfect diet and live a near textbook perfect lifestyle, including my sleep hygiene, yet I still suffer from insomnia. Yesterday, on the author's advice, I've added 3 herbal remedies to my daily routine, each of which has been relied upon by women for hundre
Margarita
Dr. Northrop is truly a pioneer of women's integrative health, and each book she has authored is indispensable in the practice. Since I get so many questions on the much ignored and maligned subject of menopause, I am doing some research on the scope of opinions. And it turned out to be an amazing book - it encourages women to use this transition to examine the patterns in their lives and to let go of things that have run their course, including poor health and life style habits. It is a time of ...more
Lynne Ellen
Jan 23, 2016 Lynne Ellen rated it did not like it
Proof positive that just because an author has an education doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. Mostly anecdotal scenarios, there is very little actual trustworthy solid information. A quarter of the way into it when she referred to her tarot card reading results, I nearly gave up. I decided to keep reading, but it never got any better. I'd be surprised if this book would be helpful to even fans of New Age beliefs.

I'm sure Ms. Northrup is a nice enough person, but reading this b
Miz Lizzie
Mar 26, 2010 Miz Lizzie rated it it was amazing
A must-read book for every woman, preferably early in perimenopause, if not before. In other words, mid-thirties is not too early to be reading this book. Not everything may apply to you, but it's worth reading all the way through just to know what's in the range of normal and the wide variety of symptoms and experiences possible. I really appreciate the holistic approach, with scientific explanations and a range of suggested options for a smooth transition. An absolutely essential reference.
Sherry
Jun 24, 2012 Sherry rated it really liked it
This book expands on what my doctor has told me about perimenopause, the ten to fifteen years before your last period. The biological changes are far more than hormonal. It's a second adolescence of sorts, as the woman is preparing to give birth to herself. Her mature self who is no longer silently doing the right thing, taking care of everyone at the expense of her identity. No, women aren't going crazy, PMS is just worsening and the end will be worth the chaos. Maybe. Ms. Northrup does have ...more
Jen Chenault
Feb 12, 2009 Jen Chenault rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Friends, daughters, Feminists
Anything that Dr. Northrup writes is amazing. She comes at it from all sides. I learned about her while laying in my bed in the maternity ward of Sparrow Hospital after Kate was born. I can't get enough of her now and she's constantly on NPR and Oprah now. She's the most well-informed female doctor and I want my information on birth, miscarriage, abortion and menopause to come from women. The only thing that I think gets a little boring is the nutrition stuff but that's just because I like junk ...more
Karen
Sep 20, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
My edition was revised in 2006. This is a hefty book, but it is very readable and I found most of it interesting. Parts of it were a little too interesting, such as her use of tarot cards and a couple of other things. But she was otherwise what I would consider a good combination of a medical doctor with a good open alternative mind. Some of her nutrition/supplemental recommendations seemed a little canned, but hey, you can't be an expert in everything. Overall I was glad to have the ...more
Ro
May 15, 2013 Ro rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book I am reading for peri-menopausal education. It is different than the previous 2 (Female Brain, Gone Insane and Before the Change by Gittelman) because not only does it discuss the science, but the author tells us about her own journey and personal stories of spiritual awakening - this books makes the mind-body-spirit connection in a way the other 2 did not.
I highly recommend.
However, the other 2 are "just the facts" if you need quick fixes for peri-menopause symptoms. Great
Jaq
Jul 20, 2014 Jaq rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This really is a one stop shop for those of us seeking information, advice and guidance when it comes to navigating that which comes to we females.

I loved her sage advice, and also the fact she covers everything that is experienced during this change of life. I also loved that she brought with it, the idea that we should be celebrating this change and not mourning for what was.

Thank you for writing this!!!!
Jeanne
Apr 25, 2011 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
Both my mother and maternal grandmother had hysterectomies so my sisters & I had no way of predicting at what age we would go through menopause nor what to expect during peri-menopause or menopause. This book was very insightful to me. I was especially impressed that Dr. Northrup chose to wait until after she had gone through menopause before writing the book so she could include her personal experiences as well as those of patients who had given permission to include their experiences.
Jul 08, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-books
Amazing resource and filled with information. Not just for women close to menopause, but to help bridge the gap in late 30s and early 40s as to the impacts of perimenopause. I would have rated this 5 stars but there was wayyyyyy too much alternative information (chakras!) when I really wanted facts.

Easy resource to skim past unwanted info, and I will definitely refer back to this in the upcoming decade.
  • What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause: The Breakthrough Book on Natural Hormone Balance
  • Ageless: The Naked Truth About Bioidentical Hormones
  • New Menopausal Years: Alternative Approaches for Women 30-90
  • Energy Medicine for Women: Aligning Your Body's Energies to Boost Your Health and Vitality
  • Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause
  • The 3-Hour Diet: How Low-Carb Diets Make You Fat and Timing Makes You Thin
  • Messages From Spirit: The Extraordinary Power of Oracles, Omens, and Signs
  • Treat Your Own Back
  • Grow Younger, Live Longer: Ten Steps to Reverse Aging
  • The Puppy Whisperer: A Compassionate, Nonviolent Guide to Early Training and Care
  • Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome
  • The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program

“with a woman’s life expectancy at eighty-four years, it is reasonable to expect that she will not only live thirty to forty years beyond menopause, but be vibrant, sharp, and influential as well. The menopause you will experience is not your mother’s (or grandmother’s) menopause.” 0 likes
“keeping” 0 likes