Start by marking “Angus and the Cat” as Want to Read:
Angus and the Cat

Angus and the Cat (Angus)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Angus is having a tough time getting used to the new pet in his home. The cat steals food from his dish, lies in his own spot of sunshine, and teases him by jumping up too high. But when the cat disappears, temporarily, Angus actually misses her.
Published 1931 by Doubleday, Doran

To ask other readers questions about Angus and the Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angus and the Cat

Kathryn
Sooo darling! I love the illustrations (1930s) and the sweet story about Angus the dog and his new housemate, the cat! At first, he is not so sure he likes the cat (especially when she sits around bathing herself in HIS favorite sun patch!) but when he can't find her one day, he realizes that perhaps she had made herself right at home in his heart. Great message here and could even be used in families with a "new baby" situation.

Jackie "the Librarian"
"But there was SOMETHING outdoors Angus was very curious about but had NEVER learned about, and that was CATS. The leash was TOO short."
Angus finds out all about cats when one shows up IN HIS HOUSE. Hey, she's in HIS own special square of sunshine, WASHING HER FACE, though not for long.
I love this classic! There's a reference librarian who works with me whose name is Angus, and SOMEONE keeps putting these Angus books on hold for him. But it's NOT ME. :D
Lisa Vegan
Oct 17, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat and dog lovers and those who enjoy older picture books
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
I read the inside covers first and was gratified to see that there was a real Angus, the family pet of the author-illustrator. I think knowing that made me appreciate this book more, and I’m interested in reading the other Angus books. I have to wonder whether I had any of these books read to me when I was young, but I don’t think so, even though they were around by the time I was born.

This is an extraordinarily cute story about how Angus grows up, learning useful things, but while curious about
Eleanor
Okay, maybe I snapped: but it's hot here, I've been under a LOT OF PRESSURE lately and postmodern/postcolonial/postpostmo literature just isn't doing it for me anymore. I feel like lying under my blankie and sucking my thumb. So when I saw Angus and the Cat sitting on a shelf at the library, I had to pick it up. I remember reading this book out loud to my classmate Scott when we were in kindergarten, and our teacher thought I was a freak. Good memories. The retro illustrations by Marjorie Flack ...more
Miriam
When I was little I had a Scotch terrier named Angus and a marmalade tom cat named Mickey Mouser [Shut up! I was four]. They were best friends. Angus would chase Mickey down the hall, and when they reached the far end, they would reverse and Mickey would chase Angus.
Eva Leger
2.5 -
I don't know what to say. I saw this at the library the other day and as soon as I saw the authors name on the cover I remembered poor little Ping. I hate that book with a passion. I almost didn't take this out but I found myself wanting to know if little old Angus would end up getting his ass kicked too.
He doesn't. Apparently Flack only hates little yellow ducks. Sooooo, I read this alone first because of Ping and I don't especially enjoy my child hearing stories about animals being beat
Robert
I very much enjoyed this second installment, as Angus, the ever curious little Scottish Terrier, finds a new friend has invaded his home. My favorite scene shows Angus staring out a window, and in the background is shown a panorama of the neighborhood, and the ducks from the previous book are shown.
David
Angus and the Cat by Marjorie Flack is the second of three books about the curious young Scottish Terrier, Angus, inclding the later Angus Lost, and the first Angus and the Ducks.

Angus's curiousity has helped him learn MANY THINGS. Because Angus is usually on a short leash, however, he has never learned about CATS. One day, the terrier finds a strange little CAT lying on the SOFA. When Angus gets too close, the cat goes SISS-S-S-S-S-S!!! and boxed Angus's ears! After Angus barks, the cat jumps
Sarah Sammis
Scottish terriers always make me think of my teacher for fifth and sixth grade. Mrs. Sullivan had a scotty dog whom she doted on and bragged about. So when I saw Angus and the Cat by Marjorie Flack at the library to read to Harriet, I was also thinking about my teacher's dog.

Angus is a Scottish terrier who now has to share his home with a cat. He doesn't want to. The cat makes herself as unwelcome as Ralph the dog does to Alice the cat. The cat though has a few tricks for staying out of Angus's
Micah
I liked Angus and the Cat because they had a fun time chasing each other. The cat was trying to run away from Angus because the cat thought Agnus wanted to eat the cat. Angus just wanted to hang out with the cat. Silly cat. Silly Angus.

[reviewed by a 6 year old, typed by his mama]
Kaethe
Something came over me last night at the library, and I wanted to read a bunch of picture books in which cats & dogs are friends. So I did. I would have loved this when I was a child, because we had both when I was growing up. And because the color palette is bizarre, in a good way.
Melle
Aug 11, 2014 Melle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat and dog lovers
A cute, old-timey picture book about Angus the Scottish terrier who is trying to learn about the new black-and-white cat (who looks exactly like my Zelda) in his house. Would make a fun read-aloud with the emphases in the text. Sweet, not a lot of substance.
Logan
We found this used at Eagle Harbor Books in Bainbridge and would now like to find more Marjorie Flack books. We liked the great 1930's illustrations and the gentle story of a dog getting to know and like the new cat who has suddenly appeared in his house. One thing that irritated me a bit was the apparently random use of all caps. In some cases, it makes sense for emphasis, but 2, 3, or sometimes even 4 uses of it in one sentence is just silly. For example, "Until one day WHAT should Angus find ...more
Elizabeth
The boys and I got a big kick out of Angus losing the cat and trying to find him. I love the vintage illustrations.
Betty
This is a favorite book from my childhood. I still find it charming and wonderful.
Kathy
Witty and just a lot of sweet fun. An excellent read for the children.
Robin
The little Scottie grows up a little and learns to like a cat.
Heather
Another funny Angus story. This one was funny than Angus and the Ducks. My kids really liked it. Same style of illustrations as her other books, which I liked.

Sweet and silly. A nice story about friendship.

Won't search it out, but would check it out if I saw it again.

August 2011 - Read this with the younger two boys (7 and 5). They really enjoyed it and asked for me to read it again immediately after finishing.
Tyrone Hardy
Angus is a feisty little terrier who usually gets into trouble outside of his home, but in this adventure he is having trouble in his home. Angus is having to share his space with a cat of all things. He is not happy about this, but he eventually finds common ground with his new roommate. This book is good for pre-k students who may still have trouble sharing items in the classroom.
Dianna
Angus is a curious little dog who is getting into trouble whenever his leash doesn't prevent him. My three-year-old son loved Angus and the Ducks, and this one is almost as good. Highly recommended!
Kristine Pratt
Angus has always been curious about cats - up until one comes to stay. How he reacts to the new family member is absolutely adorable. I love these books so much!
Heather
47 months - O is a big Angus fan. She thinks these simple stories are so funny. Love the old style illustrations too.

49 month - picked up a copy at the store
Marie
I can't believe I saw this here. I still have this book up in my attic somewhere, but it was a gift from my kindergarten teacher 20 years ago!
Kirei
Love this sweet book about the bond between a dog and cat. Great to show you can have differences but still love each other.
Shawn
i don't really care about the story - the drawings and the palate is so beautiful, the words don't matter.
Jill
This is another childhood favorite about a Schnauzer who wants to befriend the cat.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I grew up with the Angus books. I always liked them, especially the illustrations.
Jobiska (Cindy)
By Marjorie Flack, not "unknown." Perhaps my favorite of the entire series.
Elise
All the Angus books are real treats,but this is one of my favorites.
  • Rabbit's Gift
  • The Bicycle Man
  • Pelle's New Suit
  • April's Kittens
  • Crow Boy
  • Story of Little Babaji
  • Andy and the Lion
  • Mama Cat Has Three Kittens
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?
  • Choo Choo

Angus (4 books)
  • Angus and the Ducks
  • Angus Lost
  • Angus and Wag-Tail Bess
The Story About Ping Angus and the Ducks Ask Mr. Bear Angus Lost The Boats on the River