Il Profumo Delle Ore

Il Profumo Delle Ore

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Per la quarantenne-e-qualcosa Nicole Bridges il divorzio segna l'inizio di una vera crisi esistenziale. La villa di famiglia ottenuta come "liquidazione" è rimasta distrutta nell'esplosione della caldaia, la figlia è andata a vivere con il padre in California e lei vaga disorientata in una sorta di limbo sociale. Ma presto si rimbocca le maniche: deve trovare una nuova cas...more
Published 2006 by Sperling & Kupfer

Deanna Knippling
Okay, this book avoided most of the things that annoy me about a romantic female lead:

--Young
--Skinny
--Comfortably well-off
--Unaware of the world around them
--Careful about offending nobody (unless it's people who don't like sass)
--Helpless
--Yet inordinately brave

Plus, one of the major themes of the book was about assembling perfumes, and I totally geeked out on that.

Smart, painful, funny, broke, overweight and still sexy, dark in spots, fragile in others, and a love scene at the end (it irks m...more
Roberta Andrews
I enjoyed this so much. it was perfect light reading for a day at home nursing a slight cold. I love how the women band together, mostly do the right thing, forgive when necessary. I love that the main character is 40ish, plump and still beautiful, I loved the setting in the mountains of Colorado, enjoyed the sexy parts, and the cat and the perfumes and even Nikki's fear of spiders.
Michele
Scent of Hours
This is the story of a recently divorced woman named Nikki, who tries to find her way in the world while feeling bitter and bewildered. After (accidentally) blowing up her house, she moves to an apartment complex she dubs "Splitsville," and makes new friends. Her ex-husband and teenaged daughter are in London, living with his new wife.

Nikki's passion is perfume. Each chapter opens with notes from a journal she's kept all her life, outlining various scents and feelings brought abou...more
Sheila
I listened to this on cd and, altho, it isn't something I would ever pick up on my own (a friend lent it to me as I was between audio books), I thoroughly enjoyed it! Nikki Bridges, recently divorced and still reeling from the impact of it, moves to an apt. complex, called Splitsville." Everybody there seems to be going thru some kind of trauma and she meets up with some pretty eccentric folks. Nikki needs a job and waitressing is a far cry from her plushy, upscale existence in the Colorado subu...more
I just finished reading this book. The title does not suit the book very well, nor does the back's information. The story is about a recently divorced woman in her young forties who is having a hard time adjusting to her newly single life. She does not have much work experience and now needs to find a job and a place to live after she accidentally blew up her house. She realizes she can start dating, but she believes it is awkward for a woman in her forties to date. The book gets interesting whe...more
girl writing
Barbara Samuel is one of my favorite authors. None of her books has disappointed me and this book did not. While Samuel's books tend to end on a positive note, the characters are realistic and not everything is tied up in a neat little bow. The theme of her books is women facing negative things that have happened to them, rebuilding lives and the importance and power of female friendship. I feel like I've been out to a girls happy hour each time I read her books. I'm not very literary so I don't...more
Kera
At first this book sounds like a sanppy romance, because of the title and yet, it's so not! I loved the story line and (SPOILER ALERT!) the use of recipes for her perfumes. I love using oils and making my own fragrances and this book spoke to me, and how Nikki uses her gift of knowing what fragrance works for each person was great. It's a easy paced read, and one that you can put down and yet still I wanted to know how it ended, what happens to Nikki? and her daughter? and does she end up with N...more
Jeffrey
I really liked this book. Not sure why to be honest with ya. I loved the setting (Colorado).

I guess the whole notion of starting over and doing what you really want is just very inspiring. True, she was forced to do it, but still, she did it, and she had the opportunity to do it.

I don't like the title though. I doesn't really make sense, since Madame Mirabou wasn't really the main character, and she didn't teach anybody anything about love. It should have been called "Scent of Hours", I think.
Simone Collins
The book is, on the whole, fluffy and indulgent, just as I hoped it would be... but REALLY... do we HAVE to hear about this woman's sexual fixations? I mean, COME ON. Sure, I tend to favor g-rated books, but... does ANYONE enjoy reading that kind of stuff?
Whatever. Will not rant, as those paragraphs are few and far between, but I SWEAR they get me to exhibit the most contorted expressions of disdain and disgust... what if my face gets STUCK that way??? I'll SUE!
Tamanda Elia
I really love all of Barbara Samuel's books. this was no different. She has an ability to set up landscapes, locations and characters in such a colorful and effective way. I also appreciate her descriptions of the characters emotional states. It is a great book if you want to read something about emotions and hope.
Reeve
Jan 07, 2008 Reeve rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: women on vacation
Shelves: fiction
Just finished this book - it was surprisingly good. I tend to veer away from contemporary fiction aimed at women - so much of it seems plasticky and gross. This was pretty good, though - a quick but thoughtful read. Good for vacations - I got through most of it on a 4-hour plane trip.
Christine
Girly fun--exploring new beginnings. If you're a divorcee or know one, this book will cheer you and give you a realistic view of life on the other side.
Kim
Sometimes you just have to take a chance and live life. All Barbara Samuels characters are on the road to self discovery. I want to write like her one day.
This book is not really about Madame Mirabou or her school of love - it's about a woman finding herself again after divorce. I enjoyed going on the journey with her, especially with her unique sense of smell. It made me want my own custom perfume!
Bethany
I personally love this author because she is from the Pueblo area!!!! All of her books that I have read have taken place in Colorado. This is a book about a woman coming into herself in her 40s after her divorce. Great Book!!!
Maggie
The title of this book sounds like a bad romance novel. It's not. This is a great story of a woman finding herself after everything in her "perfect" life goes horribly awry. Really enjoyed this one.
Katherine Spencer Inskeep
Not sure why the title is named as it is but I did enjoy the main character Nikki and the fact that the book takes place in Co Springs. Pretty good read. Sweet.
Patan
Did not like it nearly as much as No Place Like Home. Seemed a little self indulgent and bitter story of a single Mom and others none to happy around her.
Stephanie
very fast read- started it friday night, ended by sunday afternoon- but not bad...a little juicy in parts, interesting characters.
Geralyn
my kind of chick book, some cultrual diversity thank you, strong woman, and a little sappy but something i enjoy every so often.
Emily
I really enjoyed this book. Women after divorces, one in a marriage, but how they dealt with all of that differently.
Melissa
Surprising book--nothing like the title or the cover suggests. About a woman living through the aftermath of a divorce.
Lori Mason
"'Women,' she said, 'need to tell stories about what happens to them. That's how we get it to make sense.'" p. 45
Sara Smith
Didn't like the ending as much as some of the author's other books, but enjoyed most of the book.
Dianne
Jul 22, 2010 Dianne is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
just starting this one..I enjoyed her last book that I read.
Melanie
Madame Mirabou's School of Love: A Novel by Barbara Samuel (2006)
Gail
I got the title all mixed up. But I enjoyed reading it.
Tif
Not one of my favorites from her.
Aliesa
Aliesa marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Barbara Samuel is a multiple RITA award-winning author with more than 38 books to her credit in a variety of genres. She has written historical and contemporary romances, a number of fantasy novellas with the likes of Susan Wiggs, Jo Beverley and Mary Jo Putney. She now writes women’s fiction about families, dogs, and food as Barbara O’Neal.

Her work has captured a plethora of awards, including six...more
More about Barbara Samuel...
No Place Like Home Heart of a Knight The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue A Bed of Spices A Piece of Heaven