Start by marking “The Mud Pony” as Want to Read:
The Mud Pony

The Mud Pony

A Native American tale about a young boy and his magical mud pony that comes to life. "Splendidly illustrated . . . (a) moving, multileveled hero tale. . . ".--Kirkus Reviews. Full color throughout.
Published August 1st 1989 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published September 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Mud Pony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mud Pony

The Rough-Face Girl by Rafe MartinThe Mud Pony by Caron Lee CohenFrog Girl by Paul Owen LewisThe Legend of the Bluebonnet by Tomie dePaolaRaven by Gerald McDermott
Native American Picture Books
2nd out of 104 books — 15 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
280th out of 861 books — 534 voters

More lists with this book...

Dolly
Jun 22, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fascinating folktale that is wonderfully illustrated and is great to read aloud at storytime. It has an old fashioned feel to it, a story that's been passed down from generation to generation.
Nicole G.
1. Culture or group portrayed: Native Americans, specifically Skidi Pawnee.
2. Book information: Cohen, C. (1988). The Mud Pony. New York: Scholastic, Inc.
3. Summary: This is a retelling of a Pawnee folk tale. A poor boy of the tribe wants badly to have a horse of his own, so he fashions one out of mud, and takes care of it as if it were real. One day, the tribe resumes the buffalo hunt, and the boy’s parents, after not being able to find him, leave him behind. The boy is upset and cries himself
Shea Lavalier
• Interest Level: Lower Grades
• Reading Level: 3.7
• Guided Reading Level: L
• Genre: Multicultural Literature
• Support for the genre: This book shares a story and cultural beliefs of the Dakota people and is free from stereotypes. Although the author is not native, the story seems to not be bias.
• Additional Genres: Picture Books, Traditional Literature

Summary:
A young native boy who longs for a pony creates one out of mud. When his tribe moves suddenly and leaves him behind his mud pony becomes
Kathy Ramirez
Mar 02, 2012 Kathy Ramirez rated it liked it
I thought this book had a very inspiring story about an impoverished young Indian boy's clay horse had come to life and eventually, he became a leader and confident in his abilities. I think that the story is good, except I am not sure about the concept of Mother Earth and the spirits of Mother Earth being in the horse. I suppose this is an element of the Indian culture that can be beneficial for students to learn about in a classroom. I think that the illustrations are also beneficial for ...more
Kelly Borton
Mar 07, 2014 Kelly Borton rated it really liked it
The Mud Pony is a legend of the Skidi Pawnee Native Americans. A boy in an Indian camp that gets left behind for a buffalo hunt. He finds courage and shows heroism through his determination to find his people again. His courage and heroism is found with the assistance of a pony with a voice that comes to life that the boy had sculpted from mud. It's symbolic of the inner voice that gives us courage.

I most enjoyed the illustrations as they showed emotion, movement, and the heroism encouraged by a
Sam
Nov 20, 2008 Sam rated it it was amazing
The main focus in this book was about an Indian boy who longed to have a pony. Since he was not able to have one of his own he made a pony out of clay. When he was doing this his tribe left him because they needed to find the buffalo herd. The boy was very sad and scared and so mother earth spoke to the boy in a form of a pony. The pony explained to the boy that he is not alone and that one day he will be chief of his people because he will guide him back to his tribe. After the horrible weather ...more
Lindsey
A mud pony comes to life to guide the life of a future chief.

I really wanted to like this story a lot. I've been a little disappointed with Shonto Begay's work so I figured maybe a different writer could breathe a little more life to the story. Unfortunately, this story left me with more questions than answers. Why did the future chief have to follow the tribe around starving without showing himself to his people? This wasn't fully explained in the book. I'm assuming that the mud pony or "mothe
Heather B.
A Native American boy desperately wanted a horse of his own, but only horse he had was made out of clay. One day, his tribe left him behind because they didn’t know where he was and then magically his clay horse come to life and guided him back to his tribe. The pony guided him for many years, but one day the pony turned back into its original state of clay. I would suggest this title for early elementary age children, kindergarten through 2nd grade. Published 1988, but it a traditional Pawnee ...more
Andrew Foster
Mar 07, 2012 Andrew Foster rated it really liked it
Grade Level: 3rd to 5th

First of all, the illustrations in this book are amazing! It is a great story about finding your way with a little help, in this case a horse made of mud that comes to life. It is a great coming of age story with a mentor that guides the main character into believing in himself. This would be a great book to use to explore the Native American culture or to use as a confidence finding/building lesson; a lesson that you can be anything as long as you believe and try.
Chelsey Wilson
Aug 30, 2014 Chelsey Wilson rated it really liked it
This isn't normally the type of book that I would pick up and read. The illustrations in there are much different than you see nowadays, but they were very beautiful. I really liked this book and how it goes along with the saying "you can do anything if you put your mind to it." I normally don't see very many books like this about Indians, so this would be a good one to incorporate into a Native American social studies section. I would say that this would be good for 3rd or 4th graders.
Briana Deleon
This traditional, ancient American Indian tale of a boy representing courage is one that could be a fantastic read aloud for younger elementary children. The detailed, distinct illustrations do a nice job in supporting the text. The concept of bravery is classically portrayed in this tale, which makes it a great read aloud book to use with a teacher's guidance.
Eden
There was a boy who wanted a pony more than anything. So he made his own out of clay and one night, after being left behind, his clay pony comes to life. The pony guides him to great success in life.

This is a very nice story. I think the main lesson is that no matter what we are never alone, even if we may think so.
Tiffany Kramer
Aug 25, 2016 Tiffany Kramer rated it really liked it
This is another book from my childhood that I desperately what to revisit. I can remember being in awh of the illustrations and feeling both wonder and sadness while reading it but what happens during the tale eludes me now.
Megan
May 11, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
This story was a great way to show how the Native Americans valued Mother Earth. It also shows that the boys power was given to him by Mother Earth, and he must respect that. The moral presented in the story can be explained by saying that persistence and faith can get you where you want to be.
Stephanie A.
Nov 17, 2014 Stephanie A. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, own-it
Two things I loved above all else in elementary school were Native Americans and horses, so you can imagine why this was a book I read A LOT. I have also never made it to the end without crying (just tested this theory. still true).
Kathleen Heroux
Feb 17, 2010 Kathleen Heroux rated it it was amazing
Shelves: native-american
This is a hero story from the Skidi band of Pawnee Indians. It was adapted from a longer story that was passed on through narrative.
Jiselle Jones
Mar 22, 2016 Jiselle Jones rated it liked it
Another great folktale for character analysis. May also be a good one to start a discussion on Native American culture and mythology.
Cheryl
The touching tale of the boy and his horse are beautifully supported by the high quality illustrations in this book.
Deborah Harris
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Linda
Apr 07, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses
The illustrations are what make this retelling of an ancient Pawnee tale shine. Lavish and heartfelt, they bring the story alive. Wonderful.
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Dancingdiva
Dancingdiva rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2015
Michelle Everett
Michelle Everett rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Yareli Palomino
Yareli Palomino rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2014
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Pat Heart
Pat Heart rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2008
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2009
Christie Angleton
Christie Angleton rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Ginger
Ginger rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2008
M
M rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Borreguita and the Coyote (Reading Rainbow Books)
  • How a Book Is Made