The Happy Hocky Family Moves to the Country

The Happy Hocky Family Moves to the Country (The Happy Hocky Family)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  38 reviews
There is a new book about the Happy Hocky Family. They have moved. Now they live in the country in a nice old house. Now when it rains outside, it rains inside their house, too. No more alarm clocks! The neighbor's rooster goes "COCK-A-DOODLE-DOO" at 5:30. Look! Henry has made a bird feeder. The squirrels think it is a fine feeder. See Holly make a pretty bouquet of plants...more
Published May 1st 2003 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about The Happy Hocky Family Moves to the Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Happy Hocky Family Moves to the Country

Janelle
Jan 27, 2008 Janelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a quick, good laugh
Shelves: children, humor
Although not quite up to the level of the first Hocky family tome, this sequel is still full of wit and humor.
Laura Graves

I was at a small disadvantage when I read this because I did not read the first one. I think it would have helped just a little bit. I got an okay grasp on what it’s about though. It’s a clever play on the Dick and Jane books that used to get published way back before I was even thought of. I didn’t realize that until I was to the end of the book though, so I went back and read it over again with that in mind. It...more
David
The Happy Hocky Family Moves to the Country (Happy Hocky Family) by Lane Smith follows the Hocky family from The Happy Hocky Family as they move to the country.

In the country the Hocky family lives in an old house where it rains inside the house when it rains outside. The crow of the neighbor's rooster wakes them at 5:30 AM every morning. "See Holly make a pretty bouquet of plants with three leaves. See Holly itch."

This sequel has the same sly, hilarious deadpan humor. It is a parody of beginni...more
S.K.
Love the brown paper and the computer generated illustrations. Simple. Cute.

I like the comparisons between city and country. I used to live in the country growing up and now live in the 'burbs...so I can appreciate what this is about, which is showing a rural lifestyle.

Henry's feeder was probably the most funny to me, as owner of a new bird feeder. It rang so true to me that I laughed out loud. My kids know our trials and tribulations with the squirrels, too...

The Counting Game involved a math s...more
Clairissa D
The book "The Happy Hocky Family Moves to the Country" is about a family that was living in the city but has decided to move to the country. The main characters consist of a mother, two children ( one of which is a toddler ) and a dog. I would consider this book to be realistic fiction. I would use this book in the classroom to show student how people living in the same city,state,or country few different aspects of life. For example; This book consist of multiple stories, in one of these stori...more
Tiffany
I read this as a candidate for my social studies lesson on urban and rural communities. I liked it more than the book I actually chose, but it's not really a very good read-aloud story. If I end up teaching grade one social in the future, I'd have this book in the reading bin for kids to look at for sure. Lane Smith's books are up there with Mo Willems for me.
Malerie
HIL-ar-IOUS. See the kids and I laugh & laugh.

"In the country there are lots of new games to play. This one is called FIND THE DRIVEWAY."
Carin
The Happy Hocky Family Moves to the Country is a Prose and Free Verse book of children’s poetry. The poems focus on the city-living Hocky family moving to the country. The cute, easy to read book is perfect for comparing and contrasting the different lifestyles of country and city living. The students will enjoy the silly anecdote like City Words and Country Words, describing how similar words mean different things in each location. Lane Smith’s insight on both city and country life helped give...more
Karetchko
Although it's not as funny as the original Happy Hocky family book, I do love the art in here. In fact, when a local bookstore was going out of business, I bought a promotional poster of the book because I loved the art so much. (I'd wanted to buy it as soon as I saw it, but they said they couldn't sell it to me. Once they needed the cash, it was a different story.)
Adrielle
This is a tongue-in-cheek spin on the old fashioned "Dick and Jane" primer stories. In this volume, the reader journeys through several mini-adventures during the Hocky family's first year living in the country. I found it to be completely relatable, deliciously honest, and unflinchingly hilarious. The Hocky family is an absolute delight.
Christiane
More hijinks as the family learn about farm animals ("If Farmer Dill's rooster crows 17 times a day, and the Hocky family has heard him 6,205 times..."), squirrels, and snow. The text is funny but the illustrations are the best part of these even-adults-will-laugh picture books.
Tish
A tongue-in-cheek ode to country life in Happy Hocky style. For all those who've been plagued by roosters, barnyard waftings, squirrels and endless piles of snow, this will raise chuckles (or flashbacks). Not quite up to par with the original.
Ellice
This picture book is a send-up of mid-20th century "Dick and Jane" style books, but brings a sly humor all its own. The illustrations are great, particularly of the many animals the Hocky family encounters in their move to the country.
Lobstergirl
Eh. Jocular bashing of rural life, inspired by the author and his wife's acquisition of a country house in Litchfield County, CT. If you can't thoroughly capitalize on something, what's the point of doing it?
Melanie
Maybe you've wondered what it would be like to move your family from the city to the country. The Happy Hocky Family did it and had a few things to learn! Funny and I love the illustrations.
Miri
It's so nice to see beginner books get better as great children's book authors actually make an effort with them. This made me laugh out loud, and the illustrations are fabulous.
Bridget Barlow
My boys love this book, they make me read it everyday. its fun because it is just a bunch of short visual stories. I would like to get the rest of the Hocky family books
Amberly
What a funny little book. The illustrations are great. There are cute little jokes throughout the story. It is like a modern Dick and Jane with much harder words.
Matthew
The story was kind of funny, but not terribly so. More often, it felt like an old-fashioned bashing of country living. It was an okay book, but not great.
aubrey
10 years later, lane smith wrote this book as a continuation to his cute little Hocky family. it is just as hilarious and deadpan as his first one. love it!
Janie
The city vs. country vocabulary comparison is a good show of text/illustration interplay (something too much lacking from too many illustrated books).
Kristen Leininger
Picture Book: Lane Smith is hilarious. The humor was witty and sarcastic. It is entertaining for children and adults.
Tammy
I so enjoy the Happy Hocky Family! Winter Game is one of my favorites. Along with Leaf Story. The whole book is fun.
Morgan
Haha I am at a waaayyy higher reason level than this book obviously, but I found it very amusing and cute
Shelli
Another silly adventure from the Hocky Family where they compare city life to country life.
Marci
LOL A fun tongue in cheek book fashioned after the old Dick and Jane series. Good for a chuckle!
Christopher Lehman
Hil-arious. I want to give this to so many people that share my snarktastic sense of humor.
Rachel Jessen
Almost as cute as the Happy Hocky Family. My 4 year old laughed harder at the first one.
Tiffany
not as funny as the first in the series, but hilarious nonetheless.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Smith was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but moved to Corona, California at a young age. He spent summers in Tulsa, however, and cites experiences there as inspirations for his work, saying that "[o]nce you've seen a 100-foot cement buffalo on top of a donut-stand (sic) in the middle of nowhere, you're never the same."

He studied art in college at the encouragement of his high school art teacher, helping...more
More about Lane Smith...
It's a Book Grandpa Green John, Paul, George & Ben Abe Lincoln's Dream Madam President