Start by marking “After the Snow Falls” as Want to Read:
After the Snow Falls
Preview

After the Snow Falls

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  29 reviews
In the middle of a soccer drill, in an awful, awkward moment, Celia Bennett's eight-year-old son Caleb lands on his face and chest in the grass. The diagnosis blindsides her, bringing her face-to-face with every parent's worst nightmare.

Desperate to save her son’s life, Celia pursues a cure through alternative medicine, but her quest ends in frustration and disappointment.
Kindle Edition
Published December 9th 2011 by Trestle Press

To ask other readers questions about After the Snow Falls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Snow Falls

Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisThe Purpose Driven Life by Rick WarrenThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Favorite Christian Books
208th out of 1,038 books — 817 voters
Redeeming Love by Francine RiversThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Fiction
429th out of 1,646 books — 2,003 voters

More lists with this book...

Maureen Timerman
Celia Bennet's day is so very full, being in charge of the event to raise money for her son's soccer team. Her son Caleb 8 years old, is competing in the Shoot-Out. He is just about to make his shot, when he goes down, and a parent's worst nightmare is about to begin.
She is riding in the ambulance and trying desperately to get in touch with her husband Jeff. When she arrives at the hospital Caleb is whisked away, and they wait for news. It is not good! They are say a brain stem tumor, and are se
Debdatta D. Sahay (b00k r3vi3ws)
The story begins with Celia working hard towards the soccer fundraiser for her son’s school. It gives us a small glimpse of the sort of life Celia & her family leads. Just an ordinary family who probably would not stand out in any crowd. But their world turned upside down in a matter of seconds when Caleb landed on his face at the shoot-out game. The chaos that followed was the chaos that remained in their lives for quite a while. As if Caleb’s condition wasn’t enough - Celia’s father, Alfie ...more
Julie Graves
Celia and her husband Jeff are faced with a parent’s worst nightmare. Their son Caleb is diagnosed with a brain tumor. They must enter into a world of treatment with very little hope offered for healing.

Just as Celia’s life is crumbling around her she is also faced with her father coming back into her life. Alfie abandoned Celia and her mother when Celia was a young child. Alfie claims he is a “changed man”. Adele, Celia’s mother believes him; Celia though refuses to forgive him.

How far would a
Laurie Carlson
Okay! I got a LIKE for "I'll be back to write this review"! So, I laughed at myself, and said, Laurie, write the review! So here I am! I'm writing the review - FINALLY! LOL!
What do you do when your own child is diagnosed with CANCER? All you can do is wish it were yourself instead, then after getting over that shock, you will do anything and go to any length to find a cure for them, which is exactly what this character does.
She heard of a possible cure at a clinic in Mexico, so she went there b
Linda
After the Snow Falls by Carey Jane Clark opened my eyes to the day-to-day personal anguish of parents who have a child with cancer. And the hope of a little boy, Caleb Bennett, who believed Jesus would heal him.

Carey made the harrowing scenes so real that your heart ached for the characters. A parent wanting to take their child’s place. Watching their child go through chemo and radiation. Dealing with the sickness from the chemo. Watching other children struggle or die. Dealing alone while a hus
Loraine Alcorn
I just finished reading after the Snow Falls BY Carey Jane Clark and thought it was an exceptional book. I did need a lot of tissues though because its often very sad but it can also be very uplifting.
In this story we meet Celia Bennet, A typical soccer mom who is busy being the best mom she can be. Ceila has no use for her father who abandoned her when she was little and is rather upset that he is back in her moms life. Celia's life is turned upside down when her son is diagnosed with cancer af
Ellen
An amazing book!

I laughed.

I cried.

I put myself in the character's shoes wondering how I would have handled their heartfelt issues.

Think about your life...what is your one unforgivable sin?
What is one thing someone has done to you that you just cannot forgive them?

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

As a young girl, Celia watched her father drive away not to return for many years. Now as a parent herself, she watches in horror as her only son collapses on a soccer field during a shoot-out competiti
Sandra Stiles
When the author first wrote to me asking for a review I knew I was backlogged in my reviews. I went to her site and read the first chapter and knew I had to read the book. So, I wrote her back and requested it. I am so glad I did. This is a story of hope and forgiveness. It is a story that you will need to start, with a box of tissues. The emotional ride is so intense.

Like any mother, Celia Bennett would do anything for her child. When her child is diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor she seek
Tia Bach
Your heart will belong to the Bennett family from page one. Celia Bennett faces something every parent fears the most, the very real possibility of losing her child. As she’s reeling from the news, the father that abandoned her comes back into her life.

The story alternates between the perspectives of Celia and Alfie, her father. At first, Alfie’s story is an unwelcome diversion from finding out more about Celia and Caleb. But it soon becomes clear just how intertwined the two stories are.

Celia g
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
As this soccer mom,Celia Bennett, rushes to get out the door and to the soccer field with her eight year old son, Caleb, she becomes overwhelmed with the responsibilities for so many of the activities she has volunteered for. One of the mom's is not answering her phone and Celia is depending on her to be there. When Celia gets to the field very stressed out,Caleb starts complaining of a headache. So her husband tries to help by getting something for his sons headache. Celia wanders around and fi ...more
Carol Mcclain
This was an excellent book. Clark knew her stuff and I believed someone in her family had contracted the cancer the main character's son had. I judged this for the Grace Awards and it was a close call with the ultimate winner.

I, personally, did not like the ending. It seemed a little forced for me. But on the whole, excellent.

I especially liked Alfie.
Darian Wilk
After the Snow Falls is the story of a family suddenly struck with the news that Celia’s son has cancer. As if this isn’t enough to tear a family apart, Celia’s father, who deserted her, comes back into her life. The trials the family faces begins to claw at Celia’s marriage, and her faith. Celia grasps at anything she can to save her son, and keep the family together.

This was a very emotional read, coming from someone who’s family has been struck with cancer many times; it was more than diffic
Maureen Timerman
Ellen
An amazing book!

I laughed.

I cried.

Think about your life...what is your one unforgivable sin?
What is one thing someone has done to you that you just cannot forgive them?

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Tia Bach

Celia g
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Julie Graves

How far would a
Richard Owen
After the Snow Falls isn’t the kind of book I normally pick up, but I am glad I did. Carey Clark does an amazing job of creating characters who live in the story and a storyline that spills over with truth, even when we might prefer a patina of comfort. Congratulations on publication of the print version book! A job very well done. It is a page turner or a button pusher (if one is reading the original eBook).

I am a little like Alfie. He is handier than I am. And he is more internally motivated t
Kay
After the Snow Falls is a thought-provoking book. I think this story is a good study of human behavior. If you read to get insight into people and how their past experiences might impact their behavior, you might want to read After the Snow Falls.

What effect might it have on a young daughter to see her father just walk away one day? As an adult can she forgive and free herself from her past? What about the father? Is it possible for him—after many years--to finally take responsibility for his p
Deborah Bannister
Every mother's worse nightmare, this book will keep you turning the page from the first to the last. I never sneak a peak at the ending, but halfway through the novel I was compelled to take a quick look. Carey is a gifted writer who paints a picture with words.
Deanna Gottreu
After the Snow Falls by Carey Jane Clark is a very thought provoking story. Celia Bennett faces the worst situation that any mother can when her eight year old son collapses on the soccer field. After several tests at the hospital, Celia and her husband Jeff are devastated to learn that their son Caleb has a brain tumor. Frustrated with prescribed treatments, Celia searches for an alternative medicine but that ends in even more frustration. Celia’s father, Alfie, deserted her and her mother, Ade ...more
Maryann
I received a copy of this book from the author to review. Thank you Carey for the opportunity.

Tragedy strikes a family in the form of cancer in young Caleb. Difficult times aren't new for his mom Celia though, her Dad, Alfie, left when she was a girl. He has sent letters over the years but she refuses to read them, and she has never forgiven him.

He has changed, Adele, her mom has been in contact with him for a while and accepts him back in her life, but Celia refuses. a part of his change is a f
Diana
It's hard to believe this is the author's first novel. This book was an emotional one to read as a mom who understands the desperation she would feel to do anything and everything to save her child. This book makes you feel each characters feelings- desperation, fear, peace, serenity- as each character in the book is brought before you and their own story developed as it relates to the other characters. I don't want to give the story away- but this book will touch you on so many levels. For thos ...more
Barbara
Great book..have tissues ready

I started this book and it took and it didn’t take long to get into it. The fact my son played soccer for 12 years sparked my interest in the book to start with. I liked the way the author went back and forth between the two characters Alfie and Celia and in the beginning you are wondering what the connection is between the two. She does bring them together in a way I wasn’t expecting.

The story is about loss, forgiveness, hope and love and the power of God. It was v
Anjanette Barr
Full review here: http://www.raisingthebarrs.com/2014/0...

I wasn’t two chapters in before the mantra in my head became, “What was I thinking? A book about a dying child? I can’t read this!”

And then, “Can a person really write about this? There are so many themes in this book that you can’t bring to the dinner table!” :)

After the Snow Falls isn’t vulgar or racy or violent or preachy. It’s just… heartbreaking, and involved, and vulnerable.

I would certainly recommend this book to you if you are in
Shannon
An ordinary busy family, and then something unimaginable happens and the family is pulled in different directions. This 'problem' could make or break this marriage, the family but they are not alone, they have a grandma and grandpa praying for them. And on top of this, a dad gone for too many years, comes back and the daughter, Celia must face this as well.
Without giving anything away, all I can say is a little child shall lead them, and PTL Celia, mom, listened.
This is a tough story but it is a
Diana Donnelly
The author did a wonderful job but this is not a book to read to be up lifted. It was a sad story. A young boy with brain cancer and how that reaches everyone who know and love him. His Mom was abandoned by her Dad at a young age and she had issues with that. Perhaps my rating wasn't completely fair as this book was based on a religious belief which I do not share. For Christian readers I feel they will find this a consoling yet very sad story.
Tom Park
What began as a good story soon developed into a painful experience of trying to deal with the lead's constant and almost psychotic concern for her son. It was a good thing that interspersed with her antics there was a counterpoint of a sound mother and father.
  • The Taste of Dust
  • Reckless Heart
  • Need You Now
  • Pam (The Women of Valley View #3)
  • Not in the Heart
  • Kicking Eternity (New Smyrna Beach #3)
  • Montana Dreams
  • The Weakest Link
  • Lethal Beauty (Mia Quinn, #3)
  • Coffee at Little Angels
  • The Scroll: A Novel
  • The Widow of Saunders Creek
  • Weddings and Wasabi (Sushi #4)
  • Thirteen Million Dollar Pop (Frank Behr, #3)
  • Desert Gift
  • Threat of Darkness
  • The Secret of Lies
  • Song of the Brokenhearted
Carey Jane Clark writes to inspire courage, hope and conviction. She is a homeschool mother by day, writer by night. The writing bug afflicted her early in life. The first two stories she recalls writing were about kidnapped insects and dancing pumpkins. (It has been a few years since those stories were penned.) After the Snow Falls is her first novel.

She shares the adventure of her life with her
More about Carey Jane Clark...

“All the words he'd stored up had tumbled into the great chasm beneath them” 2 likes
“old instincts rose up hard like a bowl of bad diner chili an hour down the
road”