Blank-133x176
My penguin Osbert

Elizabeth Cody Kimmel

My penguin Osbert

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  48 reviews
This year, I was very specific in my letter to Santa Claus.

Each year at Christmas, Joe writes a letter to Santa. But they've had a few misunderstandings in the past. Last year, for example, Joe wanted a fire-engine-red racecar with retracting headlights, and he did get one — but it was only three inches long. So this year Joe is really, really careful. He describes exactly

31 pages
Published November 1st 2004 by Walker (first published July 1st 2004)

Kathryn
3.5 stars. Very cute drawings and engaging text. Would have liked it better if the little boy actually voiced enjoyment at some of his time with Osbert rather than feeling annoyed/responsible the entire time, though...
Tawnya
Nov 26, 2008 Tawnya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents and childrens alike

By far one of my all-time favorite children's Christmas books! While I pack most Christmas books away after the holidays, this book stays out to enjoy all year long. It provides great insight into the life of a little boy, Joe, who wants a real penguin for Christmas. Santa has blundered Joe's requests in the past, so he wants to make sure Santa gets it right this year. Joe learns the hard way that having a real penguin is quite the chore. So next year, he'll settle for a helicopter instead!
Cathy
A sweet little book of a little boy who asks for a live penguin for Christmas and after taking care of it for a few days realizes that this might not have been a good idea. Luckily Santa comes through and remedies the situation. A good story to read when a kid starts begging for a pet - it sounds like a good idea but usually has more responsibility than expected.
Chelsea
Joe never gets what he asks for, for Christmas, so this year he is being very specific! In every which way he can describe it, he writes to Santa in hopes of getting a REAL LIVE PENGUIN this year. Well, much to his surprise, Joe finds a live penguin named Osbert waiting for him under the tree the next morning! Joe is so excited and accepts taking on the responsibilities of a penguin. BUT, after all the ice baths, fish breakfasts, and other issues, Joe decides that Osbert is not going to work out...more
Emkoshka
Filled with wry and dry humour as a boy is 'very specific' in his Christmas letter and finally gets exactly what he asks for, even if he has to put up his penguin's predilections for snow, cold and herring. Cute.
Sugarplumfairy
It's a very adorable book about a penguin. The illustrations pull you in, and the story is sweet. Not much else to say. It's a short children's book with nice, large pages.
Dolly
Jul 17, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our girls love stories about penguins and we found this one at our local library. The story takes place during Christmastime, but what better time to read about the cold and snow than in the middle of a hot summer, eh? Anyway, we really enjoyed this story. It offers a lesson about being careful what you wish for, without being too heavy-handed about it. And the story and illustrations are very funny, so we had a lot of laughs while reading it together. We will have to look for the next book, My...more
Rosa Cline
This was an adorable story about a little boy asking Santa for things for Christmas. Not getting 'exactly' what he asks for until he gets a real live penguin. He soon learns that having exactly what he thought he wanted isn't all it's cracked up to be but he cares for Osbert because 'after all I did ask for him' (teaching children that they have to continue taking care of a pet once they get one)in the end he finds a good home at the zoo with other penguins for Osbert and they both are happy. Il...more
Mckinley
Is this more for parents to read to their children who are begging for a pet? Or more for kids to be careful what you wish for?
W.H. Beck
My Lesson Notes for 1st Grade

Questions: What do we know about penguins? Have you ever wished for a present that wasn't what you thought it'd be?

Color bookmarks from: http://www.makinglearningfun.com/them.... Students can list the books they read over break on the back.

Silly penguin video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-pDuB....

Read Alikes:
A Mother's Journey
A Penguin Story
And Tango Makes Three
Antarctic Antics: a Book of Penguin Poems
Jacqueline
This beautiful picture book has been recommended to me by many parents as a "must have" holiday read. The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous, and the story is cute.

Joe has been displeased with some of the gifts that Santa has left him in the past, so he is very specific in his letter this year. He wants a real live penguin from Antarctica.

Santa, being the wonderful fellow that he is, comes through! The question is: Is having a penguin all that it is cracked up to be?
Christopher Obert
This is a charming and beautifully illustrated book about a little boy that wants a real penguin named Osbert for Christmas. The boy writes a letter to Santa and believe it or not, Santa brings him a real penguin! But it is much different wishing for a penguin and having one. The little boy realizes that he can not keep Osbert and sadly gives him up. Next year the boy will have to ask for something that will work out better but we see that that may not be the case…
babyhippoface
Oh, my. Be careful what you wish for, indeed. I really, really like this book. I've read it aloud to 1st and 2nd graders every Christmas. This boy just has a good heart, doesn't he? He wants a penguin so, so badly, then darned if he doesn't realize that, wow, maybe this wasn't such a good choice after all.

And that Osbert? How adorable is he??? Really great pictures, too. Terrific book for reading to your kids at Christmas time. Just terrific.
Jackie
My Penguin Osbert is the Christmas gift a boy really wants this year. After last year's mistake, he was really careful to ask for exactly what he wants. What he wants is a penguin and Osbert is delivered. But, caring for a penguin is harder and trickier than he thought. Be careful want you ask for.

Used for "World Traveler's Club: Antarctica" Storytime-June, 2010 and

"Penguin Party" Storytime-July, 2010.

Matthew
This book is a lot of fun and has a very heartfelt twist since the child at its center makes a tough choice to do something in the best interest of his friend rather than to keep his friend, the penguin, at home with him. This is a beautiful book and I really enjoyed reading it with my students.
Amber Baker
Jun 26, 2008 Amber Baker rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I bought this book solely based on the cute cover and the fact that it was 50% off at Barnes and Noble. I loved it so much I went back the next day and bought another one for my niece and nephews. It's one of my favorite children't books. Clever and funny. The kids love it to.
Joy
Every year Joe writes a letter to Santa but Santa never seems to get it right....except for this year when Joe gets a penguin. Except having a penguin is not exactly what he thought it would be...

The illustrations are watercolor, pastel and digital rendering.
My boys love this book. They have had it read to them at school. This is my first christmas reading it, and I agree it's a great christmas story. I love how Joe sticks it out, does what the Penguin wants. Because he did ask for him and now he has him.
Alana
A boy specifically asks for a real penguin for Christmas and gets one. It's pretty funny and the wonderful illustrations make it even better. It's a cute way to teach children that there are consequences for everything - even Christmas presents.
Library Quine
Sam really wants a penguin for Christmas. However, when he gets one, he realises that don't really live comparable lives, and he writes to Santa to see if a swap is available. Santa comes up with a solution which suits them both.
Vivian
This is for all the kids who wished for a pet--better yet, an exotic pet! What to do after the newness and novelty have worn off? This is one of my recent favorite additions to the season's readings.
Heather
43 months - Picked this one up for a new read this holiday. Beautifully illustrated and a good moral... Be realistic in what you ask Santa for for Christmas.
PreSchool-Grade 2 SLJ
story of a boy who asked for a penguin for Christmas and received it- the moral: be careful what you wish for. humorous, fabulous illustrations.
Dayna
Be careful what you wish for and more importantly how you wish for it. A really sweet tale about a little boy and the real life penguin he asks Santa to bring him.
Crystal Cook
I love the colors in this book, the crosshatching of the pastels, and of course Osbert. :) Me and my boys read this at least ten times every Christmas season.
Julia
Fun holiday story about a little boy who wishes for a penguin, not realizing how much work it will be or how different their lifestyles will be.
Madeline
Very charming, the pictures are wonderful and theres a nice little message in there too. For the kid with unrealistic expectations at Christmas.
Denise
A sweet book for parents to read with their children about a boy who gets exactly what he wants from Santa, then thinks better of having asked.
Gschera
I read this one to the kindergarteners every year when they do their unit on penguins as an example of a fictional penguin story.
Debrarian
A great story about a boy who asks for –and gets—a penguin for Xmas. (Probably a distant relation to Alexander of the terrible etc. day.)
  • Tacky's Christmas
  • The Christmas Magic
  • If You Were a Penguin
  • Penguin
  • The Gingerbread Pirates
School Spirit (Suddenly Supernatural #1) Mary Ingalls on Her Own Lily B. on the Brink of Cool Scaredy Kat (Suddenly Supernatural #2) Unhappy Medium (Suddenly Supernatural #3)