Start by marking “The Prize: Tales from a Revolution: Vermont” as Want to Read:
The Prize: Tales from a Revolution: Vermont

The Prize: Tales from a Revolution: Vermont (Tales from a Revolution)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Caleb's father is serving with Ethan Allen's Green Mountain Boys as the long-anticipated open war against the British rages up and down the length of Lake Champlain. Between his duties on the family farm and constant worry about his father's safety, the young man's attentions are already fully occupied when a fateful encounter with an unlikely neighbor changes everything. ...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Puddletown Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Prize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prize

Noah
Aug 05, 2011 Noah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!
Since Ii have a camp right on Lake Champlain and have a perfect view of Carleton's Prize (The Prize) i could see everything unfold. I could see the battle here right on the lake. Who thought a 15 year old boy and a pirate could perform a friendship to become family, when the boy (Caleb) marries Captain Mallet's daughter, Lunette. I only reccommend this book if you have been to Lake Champlain, so you can get the full affect of the whole story. I could see Caleb, Lunette and M
Kate
Nov 21, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely wonderful. Having grown up in that area or Vermont I found it extremely easy to picture the settlement and the lake which created a lot of nostalgia for me. Great balance of fact and fiction. I was slightly disappointed in the ending but perhaps I just wasn't ready to let the characters go so quickly.
Troy Ciesco
Oct 26, 2013 Troy Ciesco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this was a very good book. I absolutely loved the characters, and the author's use of historical context was incredible. Since the historical context was what I was searching for, and the author made me feel like I was in Vermont during the American Revolution, I gave it five stars.

However, I wasn't a huge fan of the plot of the book. One problem with historical fiction in general is that there's only so far you can stray from history. Even given that concession, though, I felt like the
Malia
May 20, 2012 Malia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-the-shelf
When it comes to Historical Fiction, I always wonder how much of the novel will be historical facts.

This novel had the perfect mixture of fact and fiction to create an entertaining story and at the same time piqued my interest in learning more about the Revolutionary War.

I highly recommend this novel. It grabbed my attention from the start and kept it. Now I can't wait until the next book comes out.
Michelle Isenhoff
Sep 29, 2011 Michelle Isenhoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the border between New York and Vermont lies Lake Champlain, like a 125-mile-long wedge cleaving the two states apart. Its northern end has access to the all-important St. Lawrence River; its southern end nearly reaches the Hudson River. During the centuries in which water travel was far superior to overland, this waterway was invaluable. In years of conflict, a contest for control was inevitable.

Lars Hedbor has crafted a superb novel set on the Vermont shore of Lake Champlain at the outset
Jessica Bronder
May 22, 2012 Jessica Bronder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This takes place around the time the colonists are starting to settle America. Caleb and his family live on Lake Champlain. His father, Elijah, has joined the Green Mountain Boys and is helping fight off the British. That has left Caleb, his brother Samuel, and mother Polly to run the family farm. Caleb has taken to watching Lake Champlain for British activity and reporting it to the local town.

On one of his trips, he runs into the French Captain Mallett. Captain Mallett wants to know what Caleb
Amy Rosenkoetter
Lars Hedbor is a dear friend of mine, so I have to admit that my own reading may be a bit biased, but I don't really think so. I received nothing in exchange for my review. As a lifelong reader, I am very critical of books with unfounded backgrounds, or poor grammar, or a lack of subject knowledge. While my primary interests are mystery and the paranormal, I have really enjoyed this foray into historical fiction. The characters read as very real, and the situations in which they find themselves ...more
Julie
May 18, 2015 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too short for my taste, but good period history that I didn't know much about. I didn't find the dialogue very realistic, which is why the 3 stars.
Kat
I think it's time to admit that I'm just not going to finish this one. Perfectly decent historical set in the days of the American Revolution--but too much talking and not enough battle for my taste. (There was a ship on the cover, see, so I was hoping for some awesome nautical warfare.)
Donna Persico
I was anticipating more of an historical and detailed accounting of what was going on at the time and I chose this book based upon others' reviews inferring the same, so I was somewhat disappointed. It was a nice story nonetheless, just not the story I thought it would be; it read more like a love story between Caleb, the young Vermont man in the story, and Lunette, the French settler's daughter.
Laura Kosloff
Laura Kosloff marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Lisl
Lisl is currently reading it
May 18, 2016
16backeop
16backeop marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Alice Lyles
Alice Lyles marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Megan C Keesler
Megan C Keesler marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Sara Whitford
Sara Whitford rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Steven Potts
Steven Potts marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Marilyn Moffat
Marilyn Moffat marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Paula
Paula added it
Dec 22, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 16, 2015
Marc Delisle
Marc Delisle rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Joan Griffin
Joan Griffin marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Karen Plohr
Karen Plohr marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Sandi
Sandi rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Young Adult Book ...: New YA Historical Fiction - American Revolution 1 6 Sep 22, 2011 02:39PM
What made the American Colonists turn their back on their King, and fight for independence? How were they different from us–and how were their hopes and fears familiar to our own hearts?

These are the sorts of questions that I think are important to ask in examining the American Revolution, and in the pages of my novels, I suggest some possible answers.

I am an amateur historian, linguist, brewer, f
More about Lars D.H. Hedbor...

Tales from a Revolution (7 books)
  • The Light: New Jersey (Tales from a Revolution)
  • The Smoke: New York (Tales from a Revolution)
  • The Break: Nova-Scotia (Tales From a Revolution)
  • The Declaration: South-Carolina (Tales from a Revolution)
  • The Wind: West-Florida (Tales From a Revolution)
  • The Darkness: Maine (Tales From a Revolution)