Start by marking “Boarded Window (Warm Bodies, #0.6)” as Want to Read:
Boarded Window (Warm Bodies, #0.6)

Boarded Window (Warm Bodies 0.6)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  771 ratings  ·  107 reviews
I wrote a short story for City Arts magazine about R's first winter as a walking corpse. It's significantly less heartwarming than most holiday specials.
Free Read Online, 2 pages
Published November 28th 2011 by City Arts

To ask other readers questions about Boarded Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boarded Window

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
137th out of 492 books — 962 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenOs Jogos da Fome by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
Leituras de 2013 - Portugal
496th out of 1,974 books — 248 voters

More lists with this book...

Steph
A juicy, twisted (very) short look at R's first year after becoming a zombie.

Some of my favorite bits and pieces:

These are the things I think about when I’m opening people’s skulls. When I’m eating what they hide inside.
What I want are the moments I will never have. The warm ones. The living ones. And it’s never until I’ve chewed through those rubbery layers of triviality and years-thick crusts of detachment that I finally get what I came for.
The only time I understand what a family is is wh
karly
Now I'm really really really intrigued of R's past life! Isaac Marion why are you doing this to us T.T
Darkshadow
"Especially “family.” The only time I understand what a family is is when I’m eating one. When I can move from a father’s brain to his son’s, from a brother’s to his sister’s, feel all the resentments mingling with loyalty; the envy and anger with stubborn, tenacious love. It’s a wonderful experience and a rare one, but I get it more often around the holidays, when families foolishly corner themselves all in one room, letting the warm glow of their candles and the scent of roasted turkey creep t ...more
Trisha
Found here: http://cityartsonline.com/issues/seat...

a short little piece but it's great to be back with R. After having read the book, I was ecstatic when I saw movie trailers.

Now, having just gotten back from the wonderful wonderful movie, I enjoy lazily coming back into R's life and enjoying his first Winter/Christmas thoughts as a zombie.

Seriously, "What are you?" He's a little bowl full of awesome-zombie!! :D
G
What a wonderful short story. My only complaint is that it's so short, which obviously makes sense considering it was /supposed/ to be short, but fmdsljfsmg Still. I just miss R's voice too much.
Shanna
This is a cute little snap shot of how R's brain works. Even though he's a zombie, he never really stops thinking about things and trying to understand the way the world used to be.

I like the idea of a zombie with a wiped out brain trying to understand why the living go about celebrating Christmas, even in these terrible times. Even though he's going to go eat them, he still wants to just understand what's going on, with him and with the world.

Cute little beginning to who R is and what kind of
Christina
This made me happy, I just wished it were longer.

I recently finished reading Warm Bodies, which I loved. 'Boarded Window' does a really nice job of allowing the reader to understand the conflict that must be inside of Early R, but the horror of what he needs to do in order to survive really stands out and makes its point.

While reading it, I kept thinking, "R did that?! Not the R I know!"

Thanks for sharing this story with us!
Gabrielle.
Reflexiones espeluznantes de R sobre la Navidad y sobre los primeros días de ser un zombie y cómo conoció a M,y sí, Una corta pero linda historia
Charlien
How does a brain choose which memories to keep? Why do people retain thirty-year-old movie quotes but forget life-changing epiphanies? You can order yourself to treasure a moment, to cling tight to a feeling and never let it fade, but it’s your brain, that makes the final call.

Wow. Isaac never disappoints. This was wonderfully written.
Karl

5/5

Super short and super sweet.
Wished it was much longer than it is. This is what I love most with Isaac Marion. He goes very cerebral in his writing. I can almost feel so attached with a few words.
The cover was kinda phony and a joke. But then again the writing kicked some ass! ;)

SAM
You know, this is a really really short story. Just a few pages, no more than six, no less than two. I don't have much to say. But I most say that Isaac Marion is an incredible writer. Write like you are a zombie is not easy. This zombie, R, is always rambling. Having thoughts that maybe no other zombie had. Being him was not and is not easy. He didn't even know what he was. Now we read his thoughts about winter, snow, Christmas and memories of people he have rip apart. You could say that he doe ...more
Gëff Ebrada
It's been so long ago since I last read Warm Bodies and its prequel, The New Hunger. After reading this I realized how much I missed R and his brain! I love how he thinks and how he sees the world. I love how human his thoughts are and how those thoughts make me feel sad for him for being a zombie. It's a really short read but I loved it so much! I can't wait for the next book!
Sarah Marie
Boarded Window by Isaac Marion

Prequel to Warm Bodies

2 stars

That was the shortest musings from a zombie I've ever read. R is always fascinating when it comes to his musings surrounding zombie life, but that was far too short for me to even think about giving it anything about 2 stars.

Cover Thoughts: I really like the cover. It's an awesome illustration, but I'm hoping that's not supposed to be a depiction of R because that makes his thing with Julie in Warm Bodies just seem even creepier.
Lauren (acrossmyfictionaluniverse)
This prequel to Warm Bodies is a great short story, giving us more of an insight into R's life as a zombie. I just love Marion's writing style!
Ying
R is so lovable that I want to just hug him tight 'till his bones break.
Kasie
Boarded Window by Isaac Marion, is a short story in the Warm Bodies Series.

This small addition occurs during the first Holiday Season that R is a zombie. The snow is falling and people are coming together to share love, trash fires, and canned food. Not the brightest idea with the undead hunting you, but hey, 'tis the season!

It's actually quite cute. I love R's insights. He's always so intellectual and perceptive. So how does a zombie celebrate this wonderful milestone? Well, eating people of co
Carol
I love Isaac Marion, the only reason this short didn't get 5* is because I had already read The New Hunger and there is a small amount of cross over. I love the writting style and R will be one of my favourite characters for a long time.
Angel
This made me sad because it was so short. I want to read more about R, not wait 'til 2014! (Will we ever find out about his real name? I'm insanely curious.)

This short piece is pre-Warm Bodies. Just a few months after R's change. This showed his beginnings and what being a zombie is really like. Eating brains and all that.

I am glad that this short tidbit of a story still reflects on R's train of thoughts in Warm Bodies. Yey for consistency!
Kerri
I wish it were longer, but I know it was written as a short story as part of a magazine or something. Some of it sounded like it was the same information as Warm Bodies, but I did like how it talked briefly about how R ended up in the airport. It also vaguely talked about when, where, and how he died, which was mostly implied, but still good. It was a nice short tidbit that added on to the tale.
Amie
Seriously, I don't know how these 2-pagers qualify as a GoodReads read, yet here it is.

Having just finished the first book, I enjoyed this further insight into R's character and earlier life as a zombie. I hope Marion continues on with this series, exploring other characters and developing current ones. It's a lot of fun and something refreshing and new. Tired of vampires. LOL
Cristina
I stumbled across this earlier and it's a nice little companion to Warm Bodies. Unquestionably R, we get to hear more of what goes on in his complex decaying brain. Oddly enough, he has more thoughts than I could have imagined, I'd wager he has more thoughts than some living individuals.

I'd say it's worth a re-read. I'm bound to have missed something that first go around.
Kana
Jan 09, 2013 Kana marked it as to-read
Summary
Book Club Year-Long Challenge 2013: Finish That Series; Level 4 Gotta Have Paranormal Romance with a Kick Book Club & Challenge Page
Yolanda Sfetsos
This is a short story featuring R during his first winter as a zombie. Like all the other stories I've read set in this world it's haunting and beautiful.

I love spending time with R and his wandering thoughts, as he struggles with this new world and accepts what he's become. It's amazing how easily I sympathise with him.

Lovely, well-written tale.
Krystianna
Woah! I didn't even know that this little story existed, though I'm glad that I read it. Boarded Window was another look at R, though this time it was R's first Christmas as a zombie. He is still longing to understand what life is really like and why he is the way that he is now. I'm really happy that I found this. It kind of made my day. :)
Dani (The Pluviophile Reader)
After reading Warm Bodies I craved R's narration so it was refreshing to find this short story. It was published in Nov 2011 in the City Arts magazine: http://cityartsonline.com/issues/seat...

It is just some of R's philosophical thoughts about his state before his encounters with Julie and the gang.
Therese Ptak
Very short, but man does Marrion's prose pack a, punch. Do I feel that this is his best? Not really, it's a bit too short for me to really savor it. I feel like there could have been more insight, or reflection. It feels rushed. But still a great slice of R's personality, looking forward to Marrion's planned sequel!
Shannon
I loved this look into pre-Warm Bodies R... can't wait to see what the sequel holds!
Lyra Dimagiba
Too short. Too short!

Anyways, I love the story. It's a snapshot on how R's brain works and his perspectives. I hadn't been able to read the 0.5 book of this series, but this gave me enough knowledge to know how R and M met.

So... It's really cool. :D
Angela
What a great short story. It's descriptive and helps get an idea of what a newborn zombie can be feeling at winter. However, I'm confused how he could feel the cold if zombies aren't supposed to feel since that what they said in the Warm Bodies movie.
~★Kimberly★~
This is a great prequel to Warm Bodies. It gives you a glimpse of R’s personality and it leaves you wanting more. How could you not want to rush over to amazon and purchase a copy of Warm Bodies? I can’t wait to see what undead life has in store for R.
  • Tooth & Nail (Benny Imura, #3.5)
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • The Raid: An Eden Short Story (The Eden Trilogy, #0.6)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box
  • Hare Moon (The Forest of Hands and Teeth)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Somewhere I Have Never Travelled
  • The Living Dead Boy
  • The Zombie Whisperer (Living with the Dead, #4)
  • Darkest Powers Bonus Pack 2 (Darkest Powers Trilogy #3.5, 3.6)
  • Regret (Possession, #1.5)
  • Molly (The Frey Saga #2.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • King of Marbury (The Marbury Lens #1.5)
  • After Life
Isaac Marion is a young hermit living in Seattle with his beard and his cat, starving, hysterical, naked. His first novel, WARM BODIES, was adapted into a film in 2013. A prequel novella, THE NEW HUNGER, will be released some time in 2015, and he is currently working on an absurdly ambitious concluding volume, which will hopefully be released late 2015 or early 2016. And he will let you in on a li ...more
More about Isaac Marion...
Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1) The New Hunger (Warm Bodies, #0.5) I Am a Zombie Filled With Love Warm Bodies Sequel (Warm Bodies, #2) The Hungry Mouth

“Maybe eventually winter will finish our job for us and end the world in ice instead of blood.” 7 likes
“You can order yourself to treasure a moment, to cling tight to a feeling and never let it fade, but it’s your brain, that three-pound lump of hamburger, that makes the final call.” 6 likes