Start by marking “Boarded Window (Warm Bodies)” as Want to Read:
Boarded Window (Warm Bodies)

Boarded Window (Warm Bodies)

I wrote a short story for City Arts magazine about R's first winter as a walking corpse. It's significantly less heartwarming than most holiday specials.
Published November 28th 2011 by City Arts

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiGlitches by Marissa MeyerHana by Lauren OliverSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
613 books — 1,161 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen
Zombies!
1,427 books — 3,976 voters

More lists with this book...

Steph
A juicy, twisted (very) short look at R's first year after becoming a zombie.

Some of my favorite bits and pieces:

These are the things I think about when I’m opening people’s skulls. When I’m eating what they hide inside.
What I want are the moments I will never have. The warm ones. The living ones. And it’s never until I’ve chewed through those rubbery layers of triviality and years-thick crusts of detachment that I finally get what I came for.
The only time I understand what a family is is
karly
Feb 08, 2013 karly rated it it was amazing
Now I'm really really really intrigued of R's past life! Isaac Marion why are you doing this to us T.T
Darkshadow
Jan 07, 2012 Darkshadow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
"Especially “family.” The only time I understand what a family is is when I’m eating one. When I can move from a father’s brain to his son’s, from a brother’s to his sister’s, feel all the resentments mingling with loyalty; the envy and anger with stubborn, tenacious love. It’s a wonderful experience and a rare one, but I get it more often around the holidays, when families foolishly corner themselves all in one room, letting the warm glow of their candles and the scent of roasted turkey creep t ...more
Trisha
Feb 03, 2013 Trisha rated it it was amazing
Found here: http://cityartsonline.com/issues/seat...

a short little piece but it's great to be back with R. After having read the book, I was ecstatic when I saw movie trailers.

Now, having just gotten back from the wonderful wonderful movie, I enjoy lazily coming back into R's life and enjoying his first Winter/Christmas thoughts as a zombie.

Seriously, "What are you?" He's a little bowl full of awesome-zombie!! :D
Felicia (Little Prairie Library)
I don't even know if this counts as a short story, more like a little thought process from the character R, but if you've read Warm Bodies, I say give this a read, it'll take you 5 minutes and it's kind of cute.
G
Feb 17, 2013 G rated it liked it
What a wonderful short story. My only complaint is that it's so short, which obviously makes sense considering it was /supposed/ to be short, but fmdsljfsmg Still. I just miss R's voice too much.
Shanna
Jan 10, 2013 Shanna rated it it was amazing
This is a cute little snap shot of how R's brain works. Even though he's a zombie, he never really stops thinking about things and trying to understand the way the world used to be.

I like the idea of a zombie with a wiped out brain trying to understand why the living go about celebrating Christmas, even in these terrible times. Even though he's going to go eat them, he still wants to just understand what's going on, with him and with the world.

Cute little beginning to who R is and what kind of
Christina
Jan 12, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This made me happy, I just wished it were longer.

I recently finished reading Warm Bodies, which I loved. 'Boarded Window' does a really nice job of allowing the reader to understand the conflict that must be inside of Early R, but the horror of what he needs to do in order to survive really stands out and makes its point.

While reading it, I kept thinking, "R did that?! Not the R I know!"

Thanks for sharing this story with us!
Gabrielle.
May 03, 2013 Gabrielle. rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Reflexiones espeluznantes de R sobre la Navidad y sobre los primeros días de ser un zombie y cómo conoció a M,y sí, Una corta pero linda historia
Cheyenne
Dec 14, 2016 Cheyenne rated it it was amazing
I seriously love Isaac Marion's writing. This is short little snippet of R's life, but it's great and has me wishing I had Warm Bodies in my hand right now.

Look in in the book info, under the summary, to find the link to it.
sam
You know, this is a really really short story. Just a few pages, no more than six, no less than two. I don't have much to say. But I most say that Isaac Marion is an incredible writer. Write like you are a zombie is not easy. This zombie, R, is always rambling. Having thoughts that maybe no other zombie had. Being him was not and is not easy. He didn't even know what he was. Now we read his thoughts about winter, snow, Christmas and memories of people he have rip apart. You could say that he doe ...more
Isabella
This story happens between The New Hunger and Warm Bodies, so I should've read it AFTER The New Hunger but...

it's SO SHORT :P I could spare a minute or two to read it right away. Not to mention I'm currently in love with Isaac Marion's writing.

It's a very short story about R's first winter as a zombie, and it's so full of emotion. At this point he's still eating a lot of people, but even so, he does his best to "think". He does his best to understand.

It's also when he becomes friends with M, whi
Amanda
Mar 08, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Wow. This is definitely a new way to look at the holiday season that is for sure. I love the story of R and the other Zombies in the "Warm Bodies" series. I still think about R and how his story still has no end... And I continue to wait for the second book in the series... Hopefully that will come out soon... I'm glad I figured out a way to read this as I have been unable to find it some where for myself to read it. I'm hoping I can soon find the other story so I can better prepare for the rele ...more
Kasie
Boarded Window by Isaac Marion, is a short story in the Warm Bodies Series.

This small addition occurs during the first Holiday Season that R is a zombie. The snow is falling and people are coming together to share love, trash fires, and canned food. Not the brightest idea with the undead hunting you, but hey, 'tis the season!

It's actually quite cute. I love R's insights. He's always so intellectual and perceptive. So how does a zombie celebrate this wonderful milestone? Well, eating people of co
Sarah Marie
Boarded Window by Isaac Marion

Prequel to Warm Bodies

2 stars

That was the shortest musings from a zombie I've ever read. R is always fascinating when it comes to his musings surrounding zombie life, but that was far too short for me to even think about giving it anything about 2 stars.

Cover Thoughts: I really like the cover. It's an awesome illustration, but I'm hoping that's not supposed to be a depiction of R because that makes his thing with Julie in Warm Bodies just seem even creepier.
Carol
Mar 25, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
I love Isaac Marion, the only reason this short didn't get 5* is because I had already read The New Hunger and there is a small amount of cross over. I love the writting style and R will be one of my favourite characters for a long time.
Angel
Feb 18, 2013 Angel rated it really liked it
This made me sad because it was so short. I want to read more about R, not wait 'til 2014! (Will we ever find out about his real name? I'm insanely curious.)

This short piece is pre-Warm Bodies. Just a few months after R's change. This showed his beginnings and what being a zombie is really like. Eating brains and all that.

I am glad that this short tidbit of a story still reflects on R's train of thoughts in Warm Bodies. Yey for consistency!
Aye.
Apr 02, 2015 Aye. rated it it was amazing
"How does a brain choose which memories to keep? Why do people retain thirty-year-old movie quotes but forget life-changing epiphanies? You can order yourself to treasure a moment, to cling tight to a feeling and never let it fade, but it’s your brain, that three-pound lump of hamburger, that makes the final call."
Mak
Jan 24, 2015 Mak rated it it was amazing
You can read the short, but enticing prequel for Warm Bodies here. If you haven't read Warm Bodies or seen the movie that released a few years ago Boarded Window gives you a sense of both the narration and the zombie-filled world. Definitely worth a couple of minutes out of your day to check out.
Krystianna
Feb 03, 2013 Krystianna rated it it was amazing
Woah! I didn't even know that this little story existed, though I'm glad that I read it. Boarded Window was another look at R, though this time it was R's first Christmas as a zombie. He is still longing to understand what life is really like and why he is the way that he is now. I'm really happy that I found this. It kind of made my day. :)
Therese Ptak
Feb 17, 2013 Therese Ptak rated it really liked it
Very short, but man does Marrion's prose pack a, punch. Do I feel that this is his best? Not really, it's a bit too short for me to really savor it. I feel like there could have been more insight, or reflection. It feels rushed. But still a great slice of R's personality, looking forward to Marrion's planned sequel!
Kana
Jan 09, 2013 Kana marked it as to-read
Summary
Book Club Year-Long Challenge 2013: Finish That Series; Level 4 Gotta Have Paranormal Romance with a Kick Book Club & Challenge Page
Cristina
Mar 16, 2013 Cristina rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombie, introspective
I stumbled across this earlier and it's a nice little companion to Warm Bodies. Unquestionably R, we get to hear more of what goes on in his complex decaying brain. Oddly enough, he has more thoughts than I could have imagined, I'd wager he has more thoughts than some living individuals.

I'd say it's worth a re-read. I'm bound to have missed something that first go around.
Kerri
Feb 07, 2013 Kerri rated it really liked it
I wish it were longer, but I know it was written as a short story as part of a magazine or something. Some of it sounded like it was the same information as Warm Bodies, but I did like how it talked briefly about how R ended up in the airport. It also vaguely talked about when, where, and how he died, which was mostly implied, but still good. It was a nice short tidbit that added on to the tale.
C|-/ARLIEN
How does a brain choose which memories to keep? Why do people retain thirty-year-old movie quotes but forget life-changing epiphanies? You can order yourself to treasure a moment, to cling tight to a feeling and never let it fade, but it’s your brain, that makes the final call.

Wow. Isaac never disappoints. This was wonderfully written.
Gëff Ebrada
Jan 17, 2014 Gëff Ebrada rated it really liked it
It's been so long ago since I last read Warm Bodies and its prequel, The New Hunger. After reading this I realized how much I missed R and his brain! I love how he thinks and how he sees the world. I love how human his thoughts are and how those thoughts make me feel sad for him for being a zombie. It's a really short read but I loved it so much! I can't wait for the next book!
Dani (The Pluviophile Reader)
After reading Warm Bodies I craved R's narration so it was refreshing to find this short story. It was published in Nov 2011 in the City Arts magazine: http://cityartsonline.com/issues/seat...

It is just some of R's philosophical thoughts about his state before his encounters with Julie and the gang.
Amie
Mar 09, 2013 Amie rated it liked it
Seriously, I don't know how these 2-pagers qualify as a GoodReads read, yet here it is.

Having just finished the first book, I enjoyed this further insight into R's character and earlier life as a zombie. I hope Marion continues on with this series, exploring other characters and developing current ones. It's a lot of fun and something refreshing and new. Tired of vampires. LOL
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jun 30, 2013 Yolanda Sfetsos rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombies, short-story
This is a short story featuring R during his first winter as a zombie. Like all the other stories I've read set in this world it's haunting and beautiful.

I love spending time with R and his wandering thoughts, as he struggles with this new world and accepts what he's become. It's amazing how easily I sympathise with him.

Lovely, well-written tale.
Veronikah
Mar 22, 2013 Veronikah rated it it was amazing
Oh! What a terrific holiday story!
Small, but excellent ;)

Boarded Window is set during R's first Winter as he tries to understand why the living people will gather to eat turkey on a special winter night.
  • First Night Memories (Rot & Ruin, #0.5)
  • The Raid (The Eden Trilogy, #0.6)
  • Zombie Tales from Dead Worlds
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • Hare Moon (The Forest of Hands and Teeth #0.1)
  • The Rising: Deliverance
  • King of Marbury (The Marbury Lens #1.5)
  • The Zombie Whisperer (Living with the Dead, #4)
  • Somewhere I Have Never Travelled
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Eternally Devoted (Frostbite, #4)
  • San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (Newsflesh Trilogy, #0.75)
  • Perspectives (LZR-1143, #2.5)
  • Doll Parts
  • Necromancer (Necromancer, #0.5)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Resist (Possession, #0.5)
Preorder THE BURNING WORLD now and win weird prizes!
isaacmarion.com/theburningworld

Isaac Marion grew up in the mossy depths of the Pacific Northwest, where he worked as a heating installer, a security guard, and a visitation supervisor for foster children before publishing his debut novel in 2010. WARM BODIES became a #5 New York Times bestseller and inspired a major Hollywood film adaptation. It
More about Isaac Marion...

Warm Bodies (3 books)
  • Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1)
  • The Burning World  (Warm Bodies, #2)
  • The Living (Warm Bodies #3)

“Maybe eventually winter will finish our job for us and end the world in ice instead of blood.” 7 likes
“You can order yourself to treasure a moment, to cling tight to a feeling and never let it fade, but it’s your brain, that three-pound lump of hamburger, that makes the final call.” 6 likes