Start by marking “Banished: The Gods Among Us Book 1” as Want to Read:
Banished: The Gods Among Us Book 1

Banished: The Gods Among Us Book 1 (The Gods Among Us #1)

Novella based on the ancient Sumerian Pantheon, Book One follows the banishment from Nibiru of the god Inlil. Sent to Earth in the form of canid, he rules over a vast domain. However, one decree is placed on his banishment. Do not encroach upon the realm of humankind. He cannot resist and his half-brother Enki is sent to return him for imprisonment in Irkalla.

This begins
Published December 7th 2011 by White Eagle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Banished, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Banished

Megan Cutler
Mar 08, 2013 Megan Cutler rated it did not like it
There is potential here; this novella has all the elements needed to begin an interesting fantasy-adventure series, but unfortunately they never come together.

The 'cast' is too large for a novel this short. The perspective shifts so often, the reader never has a chance to become attached to any of the characters. Several of the major events referred to take place 'off camera,' preventing the reader from experiencing them. I'm not sure why the author chose to make the opening of his series so sho
aPriL does feral sometimes
Deen is an independent author who is trying very hard to promote his work. He has several novels. I really wanted to like this because the author seems very nice. But I didn't. Couldn't. Sorry.

The long and short of my opinion is that a myth is supposed to be metafictional - it is a requirement.

This book, alhough based on real myths, is a simple paranormal story with no shadows, depths, illuminations or lessons. No characters stood out as likeable; instead, they felt like cardboard cutouts. The
Abigail
Mar 22, 2012 Abigail rated it really liked it
I finished reading this book a bit ago and revisited it today. It is a very powerful read. If you are someone who enjoys a strong cup of mythology wrapped into a really metaphoric and poetic set of pros, you you will truly enjoy this. It is a beautiful entry to mythological fiction. William has done his research.

The only reason I did not give this a 5 star rating is only because of my obsessiveness with certain details surrounding this form of writing. Due to my acedemic background in the area
The Digital Ink  Spot
Apr 23, 2012 The Digital Ink Spot rated it really liked it
Did I judge the book by the cover? Yes, I did. I see a lot of covers and this one needs help. If I can offer any advice it's this; change the cover. Now, what I found inside was a pleasant surprise. This story rocked. I have a personal interest in the stories of the old gods. This brought new life to old stories. William L. Deen is a talented writer. The characters come alive like magic. The tension and excitement is felt from beginning to end. It begins with a court drama torn from the pages of ...more
Zarah
Dec 31, 2015 Zarah rated it it was ok
1.5
Simply not very good, it's unfocused, repetitive, uses the cliche rape of a woman as nothing more than the impetus for male action, and never culminates into any sort of identifiable story.
Kim
Oct 21, 2014 Kim rated it liked it
I came across this book while searching through Amazon's free Kindle Top 100 one day. The idea that gods had their trials and tribulations always interested me, so I opted to get this book. To be fair and honest this was a very quick read as the book was under 100 pages in length. I almost felt as though this was half a book with so much more to be explored than the foundation of a series. I found the entire story to be engaging and well written despite the short length.

The main action took pla
Maria Miaoulis
Dec 23, 2015 Maria Miaoulis rated it really liked it
Summary:
Inlil runs around terrorizing the subjects of his father’s realm, but he never gets more than a slap on the wrist as punishment. However, the other gods are tired of this routine and are joining ranks to one day overthrow Anu. When Inlil is accused of raping Sud though, he is put to trial. His father banishes him to Earth on the condition that he doesn’t bother the humans. Taking the form of a wolf, Inlil rules over his domain without incident until the day he kills a man and infant. Anu
Justin
Jun 03, 2013 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

There's something about mythology that always gets me interested, and almost always leaves me satisfied with the story in question. Banished tells the story of the god Inlil, banished to Earth for his indiscretions and harassment of the other gods. While I'm not familiar with the ancient Sumerian pantheon or any of these stories, I was still intrigued and thought I would take a look at this novella (the first of four). I don't regret this decision, and Ban
Marietta
Oct 08, 2012 Marietta rated it it was amazing
I was a little hesitant on reading this tale. This story is a fantasy about the Gods who ruled the Universe. Not my normal genre. I read William Deen's Specter of The Covington Fencibles & thoroughly enjoyed his candid telling of family history so I thought I'd give this one a go. I'm glad I did.
Inlil and Enki are half brothers of Anu, the ruling God. It seems Inlil can't behave himself and just raped a lesser God's daughter. Enki has advised Anu that it's time for Inlil to be finally pun
Adrienne
Mar 16, 2014 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Reads like an American Indian legend told around the camp fire. An enganging book that will having you looking for the next in a hopefully long series. It has everything the old Gods are known for, family intrigue, backbiting, affairs and two brothers who hate eachother. One banished to Earth, takes on the body of a wolf and hunts humans for the pleasure their pain gives him. Can't wiat to see more.
Cassia Pabis
Jul 24, 2012 Cassia Pabis rated it liked it
Way too short, but with a great deal of good details, especially with such a lack of dialogue between characters. It sets up for more books, but leaves the reader hanging. This could be expanded or the sequel could easily be combined and it wouldn't be too long of a novel. This seems to be more of a novella classification.
Angela Goldsmith
Oct 05, 2012 Angela Goldsmith rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-fantasy
This was an interesting novella. It it gets off to a good start laying out the characters and story based on the mythology of ancient Sumarian gods. There are a few small flaws but nothing so large to disrupt the readability of the story. I look forward to the next installment as I hope that we see more depth develop in both the brother/gods Inlil and Enki.
Samantha
Apr 01, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
Deen has created a masterful story full of epic characters and fluid prose. Until I read Banished, I had yet to find a free download that I would have paid full price for. My only complaint is that it is rather short and ends abruptly. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to the next novella in the series.
Julie Powell
May 04, 2012 Julie Powell rated it really liked it
I like fantasy and mythical stories and this was well written with a reasonable idea behind it. It was also a good opening for the rest of the series.
Saleris
Dec 30, 2013 Saleris rated it liked it
It's a nice book, nicely written, but it didn't grab me enough to keep it - which means it's not likely that I'll be reading the rest of the series. Sorry.
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Bari
Bari rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Nelli Jämsä
Nelli Jämsä rated it it was ok
May 08, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Ingrid
Ingrid rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2014
Louise
Louise rated it it was ok
May 19, 2015
Daniel Zazitski
Daniel Zazitski rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2012
David Toone
David Toone rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Althea
Althea rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Alisha
Alisha rated it did not like it
May 21, 2014
Chelsey
Chelsey rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it did not like it
May 16, 2014
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Laura Warby
Laura Warby rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
William & Pam are authors and educators from Pensacola Florida. Pam is now retired, staying home to write, edit, and take care of their two cats, Mittens and Sassy.

Their current titles include the historical fiction, fantasy, mythology novella series, The Gods Among Us. All four novellas, Banished, Versipellis, Suffer The Innocent, and Return To Nibiru, are available individually or together i
More about William Deen...

The Gods Among Us (4 books)
  • Versipellis (The Gods Among Us, #2)
  • Suffer The Innocent (The Gods Among Us, #3)
  • Return To Nibiru (The Gods Among Us, #4)