Start by marking “Chaotic (Otherworld Stories, #5.2)” as Want to Read:
Chaotic (Otherworld Stories, #5.2)

Chaotic (Otherworld Stories #5.2)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,102 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Kelley Armstrong returns to the Otherworld with "Chaotic," where a half-demon tabloid journalist's boring date is saved...by a supernatural explosion? She's off to save the day—if only her less-than-stellar date wouldn't tag along! Luckily, the intriguing, infuriating, and just plain sexy werewolf/jewel thief Karl Marsten also appears.
Published January 31st 2012 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Chaotic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chaotic

Jodi
Apr 24, 2016 Jodi rated it really liked it
It is more accurate to say that I reread this in 2016. It was part of an anthology that I read in 2008 that I didn't particularly enjoy but this story was a standout at the time and still now. Hope is a half-demon who gets her power from chaos. Karl Marsden is a werewolf, sort of pack, sort of loner, excellent thief. Hope works for a National Enquirer-type paper ferreting out the real supernatural from the fiction. She thinks she's doing for the Council. She's actually working for a Cabal. She's ...more
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
This is how Karl and Hope meet.

ALSO--Karl is almost as hot as Clay.
Jo
Jul 01, 2012 Jo rated it it was amazing
Review first posted at Urban Fangtasy

This review for Chaotic will be spoiler free, but it may contain spoilers for both previous novels and novellas in the Women of the Otherworld Series.

I adore the Women of the Otherworld series. With the upcoming release of Thirteen and this weeks release of The Hunter and The Hunted, I thought this would be a great time to go back and read all the novellas that I’ve missed.

Chaotic (first published in the Dates from Hell Anthology) is a short story featuring h
Gina
Mar 10, 2014 Gina rated it really liked it
This novella set in Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series fills in a lot of gaps in the full length book featuring Hope, half chaos demon, and Karl Marsden, werewolf thief. When I first read the book, I felt like I was missing something - probably because I was. How they met had been covered in a novella published prior in some anthology and was only alluded to in their full length story. Even without re-reading the book, I enjoy it so much more just having now read this story. I don't thin ...more
Carrie
Feb 22, 2015 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I put off reading this short story because I had already read all the books in the Otherworld series. They mention how Hope and Karl meet several times and I kept thinking "Why should I even read the short story about how they met? What could I possibly learn that I don't already know?" Well, the type of reader I am won't let me skip over any books in the series, so that meant I had to eventually swing back around and read this short story to be considered "complete" with this series. I'm so gla ...more
chucklesthescot
Apr 12, 2015 chucklesthescot rated it really liked it
I used to own a copy of 'Dates from Hell', the anthology that this novella was published in but when I saw that the story was about Hope and Karl first meeting, I chose not to read it and the book was traded to a friend. Yeah, I know, I should've given it a chance! At the time my favourite women were Elena and Jaime so Hope wasn't as interesting to me. I wasn't a fan of Karl in Bitten but he has greatly grown on me as the series has progressed and that is why I hunted down a copy of this novella ...more
Nikki
In "Dates From Hell" anthology, best of the bunch!
Anniken Haga
Sep 15, 2014 Anniken Haga rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
I've loved the Otherworld-series from the first time i read ''Bitten'', but I've never gotten around to reading this one!
So when I found it on my phone, I just had to do have it!

This short-story has everything that I love about Kelley Armstrong, a kick-ass female lead, bad guys and a hot guy.
Before I read this, I already knew how it was going to end - I spoiled my self by reading ''Personal Demon'' a while back, but I think that only made this story more fun!

I smiled and laughed and got every
Sandy
Jan 07, 2013 Sandy rated it it was amazing
CHAOTIC by Kelley Armstrong

CHAOTIC is a novella in Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series. The short story was first published in the anthology Dates From Hell, but was released in ebook format January 2012. Chaotic features half-demon Hope Adams and werewolf Karl Marsden. The readers were first introduced to Karl in Kelley’s first novel of the Otherworld series-Bitten.

Hope Adams is a half-demon, who thrives on chaos. As a journalist working for a tabloid newspaper, chaos is the perfe
Oracleofdoom
Aug 21, 2013 Oracleofdoom rated it really liked it
Now, this is much more in line with the quality I had come to expect from Kelley Armstrong. Right from the beginning. She does an excellent job of getting across to the reader what kind of character Hope is. I particularly loved the yellow dress, Hope's intention to be a beacon, a ray of sunshine surrounded by swathes of black, but instead she stood out more like a banana. And the stain that she worsened when trying to clean it up. These things are relatable, and really humanize Hope.

And she doe
Mary
Feb 24, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
Half-demon Hope interrupts werewolf Karl Marsden right in the middle of a robbery and, from there, things get...hairy (sorry, I couldn't help it). Hope's working as a bounty hunter of sorts, still a rookie and eager to please her boss. So when they say to get Karl Marsden, that's what she intends to do.

Except her boss isn't who he claims and Karl, well, he's not quite as bad as he was in BITTEN (notice the *quite* because he's still a bad wolf at heart and he's going to do what he needs to do n
Rosie Sanchez
Jul 13, 2015 Rosie Sanchez rated it really liked it
Chaos can be......nice?

Another great Kelly Armstrong novel. Good story line with just the right amount of humor. The characters were interesting and fun. Have to see if there is a book 2 on this one. I sure hope so. If you've never read her books, I recommend that you do. Start with the "A Werewolf Named Kitty" series. You'll be waiting with baited breath for her next book.
Suzan
Oct 29, 2012 Suzan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I adore Karl and loved this story about how he and Hope met. I first read it in the Anthology 'Dates from Hell' but bought it when it was released as an e-book as well. It was interesting getting the story behind Hope and Karl's obligation to Benecio Cortez that they are trying to repay in Personal Demon, also behind when we heard from Elena in No Human's Involved about how she'd been approached by Karl to help Hope journalistically and with the council and was being a better pack member so she ...more
Sandi Potterton
Aug 08, 2014 Sandi Potterton rated it really liked it
A peek at a first meeting...

A peek at a first meeting...

I loved this...a sneak peek at the first meeting between Hope and Karl. The story has great sexual tension, great action and is fun to boot. Recommended for all Otherworld fans!
Darla
Aug 27, 2014 Darla rated it it was amazing
love it Kelley is an awesome writer unfortunately I didn't know about her until the tv series Bitten came out then read all of her books and novella within 2 weeks time frame her books are captures the audience whereas you can visualize each story great job kelley
Karen
Jul 13, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun little tale of how Hope came to be in the Otherworld and how she met Karl Marsden. I am going back and reading all the stories inbetween the novels to get back on track and glad I did. For such a short story, it had a lot of suspense. Good read.
Mel
Aug 30, 2012 Mel rated it it was amazing
I read this story as part of the anthology Dates From Hell. In my opinion, this story was the best of the bunch by far.

Hope is a half human half chaos demon tabloid reporter who works for the Interracial Council. At a charity ball she bumps into werewolf Karl Marsten and things become chaotic.
This was a great story. It was well written, exciting, engaging and fun (Hope is really funny). And it made me fall in love with Karl Marsten. Karl Marsten: the perpetually sly, egocentric, tricky werewolf
Mimi
Jun 11, 2015 Mimi rated it it was amazing
A short story with an interesting twist. I found Hope to be a different sort of heroine than what I expected, and I enjoyed her first-person account as she tells us about herself and her current assignment.
Peggy Cobb
Apr 10, 2015 Peggy Cobb rated it really liked it
Another good read from Kelley Armstrong.

A good and exciting adventure. Quite sexy too..a Werewolf and half daemon. Avery adventures pair. I hope they stay a pair ?
Juliet
Aug 20, 2015 Juliet rated it liked it
I didn't think I would like this one since I am not a huge fan of Hope, but I do like Karl. This was a really cute story though. Glad I read it.
Karen
Sep 02, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
We finally find our how Karl and Hope meet!!!
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Jun 06, 2013 Angie (Mind Malfunction) rated it really liked it
Chaotic is book 5.2 in the Women of the Otherworld Series by Kelley Armstrong. This short story is about Hope and Karl. (view spoiler)
Serena

Shelves: nichole
Review coming soon!
Thomas Edmund
Jan 31, 2012 Thomas Edmund rated it liked it
I suspect if you are not a rabid Kelly Armstrong fan who has already hunted the print form of this novella from the collection Dates from Hell then there isn't much in this piece for you.

The story is fine - a typical Armstrong action/sex/action conclusion/sex conclusion plot, with a dash of humour.

Overall though nothing stand-out, just a decent supernatural jaunt.
Jenevieve
Mar 07, 2012 Jenevieve rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
A novella set in the Otherworld universe, we finally get to see the backstory on how Hope and Karl first met. It has a very young and naive Hope thinking she is working for the council when in fact she is working for another organization entirely and Karl being Karl, thief and playboy and all around bad-ass. Fun story and is making me impatient for the next book.
Kathy
Sharon
Feb 15, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2012
Chaotic is a very good story. I didn't quite know what to expect from it and I'm still a bit confused about the Women of the Otherworld series. I looked at the descriptions of the full-length books and see that there are several heroines but some of them have multiple books. I'm not sure whether I should expect these to be romances or not.
Michelle
Oct 15, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Seemed short - the whole book basically happens in one scene, which is a bit weird. I enjoyed the characters and want to see where it's going, though.
Edit: Just checked to see if the library had the next book in the series for download and realized this one was a novella, which explains the "seems short" feeling. Ahh details...
Lacey
Sep 28, 2013 Lacey rated it liked it
I think I like the Hope is this novella better. She seems a little more daring, a little more outgoing. The Hope in the novels seems to be a distant and reserved. An enjoyable read about how Hope and Karl met. I'm glad I finally got to read it, felt like I was missing part of the story without knowing how their story began.
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 (Otherworld Stories, #8.1; The Chronicles of the Black Company 0.3)
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • The Queen's Witch (Cassandra Palmer #0.6)
  • The Bitten Word
  • Caught Forever Between (Hoodoo, #2.5)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Dates From Hell (The Hollows, #2.5; Otherworld Stories, #5.2)
  • Blood Challenge (World of the Lupi, #7)
  • Curran POV Collection
  • Red Velvet and Absinthe
  • Campus Chills
  • Armor of Roses and The Silver Voice
  • By Blood We Live
  • Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5)
  • Hunt (Shifters #6.5)

More about Kelley Armstrong...

Otherworld Stories (5 books)
  • Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories #I)
  • Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories #II)
  • Otherworld Nights (Otherworld Stories #III)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories #IV)
  • Otherworld Chills (Otherworld Stories #V)

“Behind us, the man laughed. "Looks like we aren't the only ones looking for a little diversion. There's an empty office right over there, guys."
Marsten raised his hand in thanks. The couple moved on. I let the kiss continue for five more seconds, then pulled away.
"They're gone," I said.
Marsten frowned, as if surprised-and disappointed-that I'd noticed. I tugged my hair from his hands.
"Okay, coast clear," I said. "Let's go."
He let out a small laugh. "I see I need to brush up on my kissing."
"No, you have that down pat."
"She says with all the excitement of a teacher grading a math quiz..."
"A-plus. Now let's move. Before someone else comes along.”
30 likes
“The bracelet—an heirloom, I presume.”
“So you didn’t mistake it for a ‘cheap bauble’ after all. And you still didn’t try to nick it. I’m shocked.”
He glowered as he got to his feet.
“What?” I said. “I’ve offended you? I should be ashamed of myself. Those pieces in your pocket just fell in there, didn’t they? Damn museum displays. Stuff just drops off them—”
0 likes