Chaotic (Otherworld Stories, #5.2)

Chaotic (Otherworld Stories #5.2)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,471 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Kelley Armstrong returns to the Otherworld with "Chaotic," where a half-demon tabloid journalist's boring date is saved...by a supernatural explosion? She's off to save the day—if only her less-than-stellar date wouldn't tag along! Luckily, the intriguing, infuriating, and just plain sexy werewolf/jewel thief Karl Marsten also appears.
Published January 31st 2012 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Chaotic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chaotic

Jo
Review first posted at Urban Fangtasy

This review for Chaotic will be spoiler free, but it may contain spoilers for both previous novels and novellas in the Women of the Otherworld Series.

I adore the Women of the Otherworld series. With the upcoming release of Thirteen and this weeks release of The Hunter and The Hunted, I thought this would be a great time to go back and read all the novellas that I’ve missed.

Chaotic (first published in the Dates from Hell Anthology) is a short story featuring h...more
Gina
This novella set in Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series fills in a lot of gaps in the full length book featuring Hope, half chaos demon, and Karl Marsden, werewolf thief. When I first read the book, I felt like I was missing something - probably because I was. How they met had been covered in a novella published prior in some anthology and was only alluded to in their full length story. Even without re-reading the book, I enjoy it so much more just having now read this story. I don't thin...more
Nikki
In "Dates From Hell" anthology, best of the bunch!
Sandy
CHAOTIC by Kelley Armstrong

CHAOTIC is a novella in Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series. The short story was first published in the anthology Dates From Hell, but was released in ebook format January 2012. Chaotic features half-demon Hope Adams and werewolf Karl Marsden. The readers were first introduced to Karl in Kelley’s first novel of the Otherworld series-Bitten.

Hope Adams is a half-demon, who thrives on chaos. As a journalist working for a tabloid newspaper, chaos is the perfe...more
Oracleofdoom
Now, this is much more in line with the quality I had come to expect from Kelley Armstrong. Right from the beginning. She does an excellent job of getting across to the reader what kind of character Hope is. I particularly loved the yellow dress, Hope's intention to be a beacon, a ray of sunshine surrounded by swathes of black, but instead she stood out more like a banana. And the stain that she worsened when trying to clean it up. These things are relatable, and really humanize Hope.

And she doe...more
Mary
Half-demon Hope interrupts werewolf Karl Marsden right in the middle of a robbery and, from there, things get...hairy (sorry, I couldn't help it). Hope's working as a bounty hunter of sorts, still a rookie and eager to please her boss. So when they say to get Karl Marsden, that's what she intends to do.

Except her boss isn't who he claims and Karl, well, he's not quite as bad as he was in BITTEN (notice the *quite* because he's still a bad wolf at heart and he's going to do what he needs to do n...more
Suzan
Oct 29, 2012 Suzan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I adore Karl and loved this story about how he and Hope met. I first read it in the Anthology 'Dates from Hell' but bought it when it was released as an e-book as well. It was interesting getting the story behind Hope and Karl's obligation to Benecio Cortez that they are trying to repay in Personal Demon, also behind when we heard from Elena in No Human's Involved about how she'd been approached by Karl to help Hope journalistically and with the council and was being a better pack member so she...more
Sandi Potterton
A peek at a first meeting...

A peek at a first meeting...

I loved this...a sneak peek at the first meeting between Hope and Karl. The story has great sexual tension, great action and is fun to boot. Recommended for all Otherworld fans!
Darla
love it Kelley is an awesome writer unfortunately I didn't know about her until the tv series Bitten came out then read all of her books and novella within 2 weeks time frame her books are captures the audience whereas you can visualize each story great job kelley
Karen
Fun little tale of how Hope came to be in the Otherworld and how she met Karl Marsden. I am going back and reading all the stories inbetween the novels to get back on track and glad I did. For such a short story, it had a lot of suspense. Good read.
Mel
I read this story as part of the anthology Dates From Hell. In my opinion, this story was the best of the bunch by far.

Hope is a half human half chaos demon tabloid reporter who works for the Interracial Council. At a charity ball she bumps into werewolf Karl Marsten and things become chaotic.
This was a great story. It was well written, exciting, engaging and fun (Hope is really funny). And it made me fall in love with Karl Marsten. Karl Marsten: the perpetually sly, egocentric, tricky werewolf...more
Lorre
Chaotic was a fab Otherworld novella!

Hope Adams is a half-demon and journalist on a date at the museum.
What started as a very boring blind date, turns into a huge mess when her powers alert her that something bad is happening in the museum.

That something bad is connected to Karl Marsten (werewolf mutt, see Territorial and Bitten)...
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Chaotic is book 5.2 in the Women of the Otherworld Series by Kelley Armstrong. This short story is about Hope and Karl. (view spoiler)
YA Reads Book Reviews
Review coming soon!
T. Edmund
I suspect if you are not a rabid Kelly Armstrong fan who has already hunted the print form of this novella from the collection Dates from Hell then there isn't much in this piece for you.

The story is fine - a typical Armstrong action/sex/action conclusion/sex conclusion plot, with a dash of humour.

Overall though nothing stand-out, just a decent supernatural jaunt.
Jenevieve
A novella set in the Otherworld universe, we finally get to see the backstory on how Hope and Karl first met. It has a very young and naive Hope thinking she is working for the council when in fact she is working for another organization entirely and Karl being Karl, thief and playboy and all around bad-ass. Fun story and is making me impatient for the next book.
Kathy
Sharon
Chaotic is a very good story. I didn't quite know what to expect from it and I'm still a bit confused about the Women of the Otherworld series. I looked at the descriptions of the full-length books and see that there are several heroines but some of them have multiple books. I'm not sure whether I should expect these to be romances or not.
Michelle
Seemed short - the whole book basically happens in one scene, which is a bit weird. I enjoyed the characters and want to see where it's going, though.
Edit: Just checked to see if the library had the next book in the series for download and realized this one was a novella, which explains the "seems short" feeling. Ahh details...
Lacey Lane
I think I like the Hope is this novella better. She seems a little more daring, a little more outgoing. The Hope in the novels seems to be a distant and reserved. An enjoyable read about how Hope and Karl met. I'm glad I finally got to read it, felt like I was missing part of the story without knowing how their story began.
Teresa
Mar 04, 2012 Teresa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong
This is a novella about the first time Hope Adams and Karl Marsten meet.

I really enjoyed finding out not only how Hope and Karl first met, but a bit more about their characters as well. I love stories like this as they make the world, in this case the 'Women of the Otherworld' series world, feel fuller and more real.
Nymphadora
Anything Armstrong writes makes you glad you read it. Her characters are mostly strong women who can take care of themselves but she includes men who can appreciate a woman who takes care of herself. The Otherworld is a wonderful series and this novella is a fun peek into that world. Werewolves, witches, and demons, oh, my!
Neeuqdrazil
This is a short story/novella describing the incidents that happened before the first Hope Adams/Karl Marsten book in the main series - how Hope and Karl met, and how they ended up owing Benicio Cortez a favour.

It was fun, although having read the main series books, I didn't really like this Hope very much.
Robert Dufalo
After the badness that was Thirteen, I was pleased to find some of her other books and get back to what I love in Kelley's writing. I'm looking forward to her YA books and hope that she's going to keep working with the "Other World" setting. She's made an amazing world honestly and I'd hate to see it stagnate.
Danielle
This is a short story about Hope. It is the beginning of her using her powers for the greater good and the first time she meets Karl. I was impressed with the length of this short story. It was a good, quick read if you want to get to know Hope and Karl a little better.
Liz
Really glad I found out about this book. It gives a nice introduction to Hope who she is, what kind of powers she has, etc... and it also shows us Hope and Karl's first meeting and is a good entertaining story! I now feel like I'm ready to read Personal Demon!
Louisa
Great short story of Hope and Karl's first meeting in a museum, and yeah, I really enjoyed it, and how she wasn't sucked in by Karl. And that he liked that. And that he's going to make a fool of himself, well, married and with a kid coming in 13, yeah.
Kerrie Salsac
Seeing Hope's first steps into the supernatural community was wonderful. She was not adept at taking care of herself, but that was not for lack of trying. Her chaos addiction is as intoxicating a read as ever, and Karl truly adds to that in a big way.
Tracey Sinclair
I'm not sure why I didn't this more, as I do love Kelley Armstrong, but I wasn't particularly taken with Hope as a character and found her romance with Malden a little abrupt. Interesting outsider's view of the Otherworld hierarchy hy though.
Maya
Okay, this was fairly hilarious. Hope and Karl's byplay immediately won my approval. Looking back at this in retrospect (writing this review after reading Hope's 1.5 books), this is the best Hope has ever been, honestly.
  • A Fantasy Medley
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.2)
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2
  • Originally Human (World of Lupi, #1.5)
  • Curran POV Collection
  • Red Velvet and Absinthe
  • Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • The Gauntlet (Cassandra Palmer #0.5)
  • Dates From Hell (The Hollows, #2.5)
  • By Blood We Live
  • Caught Forever Between (Hoodoo, #2.5)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon

Today, she continues to spin tales of ghosts and demons and werewolves, while safely locked a...more
More about Kelley Armstrong...
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) Bitten (Women of the Otherworld #1) The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)

“Behind us, the man laughed. "Looks like we aren't the only ones looking for a little diversion. There's an empty office right over there, guys."
Marsten raised his hand in thanks. The couple moved on. I let the kiss continue for five more seconds, then pulled away.
"They're gone," I said.
Marsten frowned, as if surprised-and disappointed-that I'd noticed. I tugged my hair from his hands.
"Okay, coast clear," I said. "Let's go."
He let out a small laugh. "I see I need to brush up on my kissing."
"No, you have that down pat."
"She says with all the excitement of a teacher grading a math quiz..."
"A-plus. Now let's move. Before someone else comes along.”
28 likes