Start by marking “Neonomicon” as Want to Read:
Neonomicon

Neonomicon

3.4  ·  Rating Details ·  3,336 Ratings  ·  446 Reviews
Un relato de horror psicológico a cargo del más aclamado escritor de la industria del cómic. Alan Moore presenta a Aldo Sax, un agente del FBI que tiene una impecable hoja de servicios. Sus legendarias habilidades serán puestas a prueba en el que puede ser el caso más confuso de su carrera. Una serie de desmembramientos apuntan al más inesperado de los sospechosos. Las pis ...more
Published September 2nd 2011 by Panini Comics España (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Neonomicon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neonomicon

mark monday
a sociopathic FBI profiler finds a dark path and takes it. some time later, two more agents follow in his footsteps. murder, rape, rage, despair, racism, homophobia, a swinger party, a cult, hallucinatory freak-outs, nightmarish dreamscapes, Deep Ones, Cthulhu, Nyarlathotep, H.P. Lovecraft, and gruesome bloody slaughter are all delivered in a timely fashion.

celebrated genius Alan Moore's graphic novel was, per the author's own admission, done for a paycheck and so that's that. it was also remove
Dan Schwent
The Courtyard: When federal agent Aldo Sax goes deep undercover to find a mysterious drug called Aklo, he gets snared in net of Lovecraftian craziness with Johnny Carcosa at the center.

Aside from being peppered with racial slurs, I thought this was a pretty good tale. Aldo Sax encounters cosmic horrors and flips his shit. Moore seeded the text with plenty of Lovecraftian references, like The Shadow over Innsmouth, The Horror at Red Hook, Zothique (actually a Clark Ashton Smith), and Randolph Car
Imogen
May 03, 2014 Imogen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this is a book about a woman who struggles with sex addiction being locked in a room and sexually assaulted by a monster over the course of a week, which solves all her problems. If that sounds nice to you, you do not sound nice to me.

I think mostly I'm pissed because this is on so many "best horror comics" lists I've read, and not a single one of them mentions the fact that it's just. about. a woman. being raped. by a monster. For a week. Which is presented as not even a big deal to her!
Sean Gibson
Really more like 2.5 stars, but we'll round up because Alan Moore is generally, if nothing else, exceedingly interesting. If you're into graphic monster/human sex (moreso than I am, anyway) and H.P. Lovecraft, you may dig this. Otherwise, you probably want to read pretty much anything else Moore has written instead. Including his grocery list.
Sam Quixote
Neonomicon is the sequel to Antony Johnston and Jacen Burrows’ graphic adaptation of Alan Moore’s The Courtyard, a short story by Moore from the ‘90s. If you missed it, don’t worry because The Courtyard is included in this book. This time around Burrows returns with Moore scripting the comic.

Aldo Sax, the main character of The Courtyard, is in an insane asylum speaking Lovecraftian gibberish after he was arrested for murdering his neighbour. Two FBI agents, Gordon Lamper and Merril Brears, are
David Schaafsma
Warning to my friends reading this review: I did "like" this as I thought it was well executed, but... this is an ultra-graphic H.P. Lovecraft horror story with plenty here to offend and frighten and disturb everyone.... so I can't imagine many people reading this and actually "enjoying." I did, actually, which probably says something about me, so watch out. I read this because I am making it through the Alan Moore corpus, slowly, dabbling in it, at least, and wanted to see what he does with Rea ...more
Nicholas Kaufmann
What starts out as an interesting supernatural procedural in a world where Lovecraft's mythos is real is all but undone by Moore's nearly adolescent preoccupation with sex. It wouldn't be an issue if the sex were portrayed as healthy and positive -- I could get behind that -- but here the sex is entirely non-consensual. A female character is raped during an orgy of cultists and then raped again, repeatedly, by an inhuman monster with an insatiable sexual appetite. But it's okay, Moore assures us ...more
Jonathan
Update: This is basically a better version of the story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo5...

Now, the idea of Alan Moore writing a Lovecraft comic sounds *amazing*, doesn't it? :D At the mention of such a concept, visions of a Lovecraft tale on the scale of "Watchmen" or "From Hell" or "V for Vendetta" fill one's mind. And GODDAMN if that wouldn't be amazing.

Yeeeeeah...that's not what we get here. At four issues, "Neonomicon" is quite brief, and given its quality, that might be a good thing.
Miles Reid-lobatto

This book is a hard one to review. I think Alan Moore is a brilliant writer and his work in the comic industry is well deserved of praise (V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Saga of the Swamp Thing) and critical acclaim. But the two interconnected stories here, The Courtyard and Neonomicon show Alan at his good and his bad and also shows off a rather disturbing trend in his work.

The Courtyard is the best story of the two, throwing the Lovecraftian Mythos into the seedy world of back street drug dealings,
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I'll be honest, the only reason I picked this up to read is on principle. My local public library director pulled this from the shelves after a parental complaint, not even following the policies the library has for contested items. It was properly shelved with other graphic novels and not in the childrens' section, but a parent didn't like that her daughter had gotten her hands on something with this content. The graphic novel remains censored at that library a year later, but the academic libr ...more
Ross Byrne
Okay, here we go: if you love Lovecraft like I do, and you are a fan of Alan Moore, like I am, then stay as far away from Neonomicon as is humanly possible, because it's an insult to both. Moore has described the book as 'the most unpleasant thing I've ever written.' and on those terms at least, it lives up to its premise. A sequel to his geniunely chilling and enjoyable short story The Courtyard, inspired by a poem in Lovecraft's Fungi From Yuggoth cycle, Neonomicon takes the worst excesses of ...more
Jedi JC Daquis
Jun 13, 2012 Jedi JC Daquis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Visually explicit and disturbing, I bought this solely because it has Alan Moore as the author. What I got is more than what I have asked for. Jacen Burrows is indeed a talented artist. He is able to keep the intensity of the scenes, be it the mystery, the sensuality and the gore. Oh the gore. I wasn't ready for it, yet loved every bit (of flesh) of detail. Neonomicon is a graphic material which is definitely not for children.

If you are of the conservative type or easily grossed out with sick m
Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜
PROS:
-Moore adds interesting symbolism to the Cthulhu Mythos. He takes some of the literal aspects that Lovecraft gave us and made it more metaphorical.

-The artwork is nicely detailed.

CONS:
-A woman gets raped and sexually assaulted by a fish monster and some cultists for many weeks and it solves all her problems.

-Was pretty immature and possessed a lurid fascination with freakish sex.

This book wasn't really my cup of tea.
Erik Erickson
Jan 15, 2012 Erik Erickson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fiction
It pains me to say this but this book is not very good. I love Lovecraft, and most of Alan Moore's work, but this is mediocre at best, childish and revolting at its worst.

It's got some overall ideas that are clever, but once the FBI agent is shot, everything becomes way too silly. The way the female agent acted and talked during the horrifying acts she was subjected to was goofy enough to take me totally out of it. Being a sex addict does not suffice to explain that kind of a reaction.

Unfortuna
Titas (Emperor)
Warning 1: Read this with an empty stomach.
Warning 2: Burn it after reading before anybody sees this at your house.
Warning 3: Do not read this before going to sleep. Even if you don't get nightmares, you will stay wake for quite some time.
Warning 4: If you get disgusted within the first two chapters, do not proceed for your own good.

Alan Moore's take on H. P. Lovecraft's horrors. Let that sentence simmer down first. Done?
Neonomicon = drug + FBI + sex + supernatural elements + cults + sex + mons
Kirsty Cabot
Edit: taken down a star to 2 stars. On reflection, it's just too rapey to be good. I liked all the stuff that wasn't rapey or crazily sexually deviant.

Not really sure how to rate this. It was seriously fucked up. Like. Probably one of the most fucked up stories I've read. Complete with pictures. But the artwork was good.
Carti+Alina
Dec 14, 2016 Carti+Alina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michel Weatherall
Neonomicon is a difficult graphic novel to review.

To begin with, I think the term 'graphic' is more than appropriate here. Although I do not believe in censorship, I do think this particular piece should carry a warning on its cover. This is most definitely NOT for children of even younger (or less mature) adolescents.

The opening few pages carry some pretty graphic and gory artwork. However, this isn't really the questionable material. There is a significantly long orgy screen, which includes h
Barnaby Thieme
Oct 05, 2012 Barnaby Thieme rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-book, hated
Although I am not a big Alan Moore fan, I was beguiled into giving Neonomicon a try by its fabulous premise - a modern-day, Lovecraftian tale of mystery and madness.

Moore apparently believes that the best way to build upon Lovecraft's legacy is to add long episodes of truly horrific sadism and sexual violence. In general, I'm deeply put-off by Moore's fascination with such material, and his tendency to dwell at length on wicked characters doing really monstrous things.

I do not object to such p
Anthony Vacca
Reads like a course overview for a college class dedicated to the works of H.P. Lovecraft (an author whose work I increasingly have little interest in ever exploring) stuffed into the trappings of an exploitation-horror flick. Recommended to readers who like their comics bookish with plenty of fishy orgies. Moore's weird sense of humor downplays some of the awfulness of the several rape scenes, but this is definitely not a comic for the easily offended. Not one of Moore's best efforts, but a bre ...more
Bracken
Oct 02, 2015 Bracken rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Irredeemably gross and misogynistically rapey. I am officially DONE with Alan Moore.
Stewart Tame
Sep 18, 2013 Stewart Tame rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan Moore pays tribute to H.P. Lovecraft. Really, what more do you need to know? Anyone familiar with Moore's work has already stopped reading and is rushing to the nearest bookshop or library to read this themselves. The rest of you would be advised to do likewise. Still reading? Very well ... So the FBI is investigating a series of murders. Although they all show similar characteristics, they were definitely committed by different, unrelated people. The attempts to find a connection lead them ...more
Tim Pendry
Ah, you want dark ... this is dark. Well within the spirit of the Lovecraftian tradition and an added dash of American FBI TV drama with serial killer characteristics. Alan Moore even gets in a bit of Kenneth Grant on the side.

However, since many of you in America have more of a problem with sex than gory violence, be warned ... this is a work of sexual horror with explicit scenes of truly unpleasant sexual violence.

The scene of reptilian jissum flying through a wide arc as the FBI heroine jerks
Tanabrus
Nov 11, 2011 Tanabrus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Questo volume raccoglie l’intera serie di Alan Moore del 2010.
Alan Moore incontra H.P. Lovecraft, e il risultato è strepitoso.

Ne Il cortile, che funge da antefatto, incontriamo l’agente speciale Aldo Sax, che indaga su alcuni omicidi efferati e apparentemente senza alcun collegamento tra di loro se non l’orribile modus operandi. I colpevoli sono già stati arrestati, rei confessi, ma le similitudini tra i casi sono troppo sospette per essere lasciate stare. E quindi l’agente indaga a Red Hook.

Dop
Moonglum
The Neonomicon is a very creepy work of meta-horror. It starts out as what might be a fairly cool modern Lovecraftian tale, but then people start to realize that, hey, there are all these references to H.P. Lovecraft going down.

The kind of prudish neo-fascist FBI agent who, despite his bad attitude and bad politics, does actually have some kind of weird and creative insight into things that seem relevant in the story (anomaly theory, he calls it) is not the main attraction. But in a sense he is
Tom Ewing
William Thomas
HP Lovecraft was a completely overrated hack who had a race superiority complex. HP Lovecraft was a stone-cold racist and a terrible writer. Plain and simple. You can try and justify his disgustingly racist views by saying that he was just a product of his environment at a time when 'everyone' was racist, but that is an oversimplification and misunderstanding of the time and excuses bad behavior for its own sake. And the more I read Alan Moore, the more I think that his incorporation of blatantl ...more
Giuseppe
Ultima fatica di Moore ed anche una delle sue piú discutibili. L'autore inglese continua a sviluppare il concept che sta alla base de The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1: una metanarrazione in cui si prospettano come reali personaggi appartenenti alla letteratura. Qua il prescelto é quell'oggetto misterioso che risponde al nome di Lovecraft. Ho letto molte recensioni negative basate sulle scene di violenza e sesso piuttosto disturbanti. Personalmente le trovo in linea con l'atmosfera d ...more
Wendy
racist, much??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

I'm not into H.P. Lovecraft at all...I know Cthulhu is all the rage these days. I like what Joe Hill has done as a homage to Lovecraft with the whole Locke and Key thing.

Locke and Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft (A GREAT creepy/awesome/addictive series...)

I walked into this GN with no background, no looking up other reviews and trying to figure out the mythos behind some of the Lovecraftian lore and all the things that have come after and built upon it.

So
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Jun 27, 2013 Jayaprakash Satyamurthy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jayaprakash by: jayaprakash@gmail.com
The good:

Moore's prose.

The absolutely brilliant art.

Moore's deep knowledge of the Ctuhulhu mythos and various other fictional and occult esoterica which is used to create new conceptual twists that are genuinely mind-boggling at best.

Some interesting commentary on HPL's stories. 'Oh he was asexual'. 'Yeah then how come his stories were full of things that looked like cunts and dicks?' (I paraphrase).

The bad:

The second story is really rapey. And the rapes happen to a woman who is depicted as
La Stamberga dei ...: Neonomicon di Alan Moore 2 17 Jul 30, 2014 04:16AM
  • The Lovecraft Anthology, Volume 1
  • Crossed, Vol. 1
  • Gravel, Volume 1: Bloody Liars (Gravel, #7)
  • The Shadow Out of Time
  • Historical Lovecraft
  • Sandman Absolute 1: Sueño
  • Freaks of the Heartland
  • Scalped, Vol. 8: You Gotta Sin to Get Saved
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor