Start by marking “Spin” as Want to Read:
Read Excerpt* *Different edition

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  3,147 ratings  ·  501 reviews

“At once comic, heart-breaking, and life-affirming.”
—Tish Cohen, author of Town House

“Imagine if Bridget Jones fell into a million little pieces, flew over the cuckoo’s nest, and befriended Lindsay Lohan along the way, and you are beginning to grasp the literary roller coaster ride that is Catherine McKenzie’s Spin.”
—Leah McLaren, author of The Continuity Girl

How far would

Published (first published December 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Spin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spin

Sean Cummings
I'm a guy who loves science fiction and fantasy, so what the hell am I doing reading chick lit? Well, aside from supporting a fellow Canadian author with her debut novel, I won't put down a book that speaks to universal themes like human failings and redemption.

Katie Sanford is a cleverly written protagonist and while this book is classified as Chick Lit, it contains none of the shallowness you might find in the genre. Katie is an all too real heroine who is behind the eight ball on the financi
“Imagine if Bridget Jones fell into A million little pieces, flew over the cuckoo’s nest and befriended Lindsey Lohan along the way.” Okay I might have stolen that quote from the back of the book but it does describe Spin perfectly, so I couldn’t help myself.

This was a fantastic read and from a new Canadian author no less. Totally relatable, addictive and hilarious, I had trouble putting this one down. It's written along the lines of Sophia Kinsley’s Confessions of a Shopaholic series or as I m

Spin by Catherine McKenzie is hands down one of my favorite chick lits ever! Thank you Harper Collins for giving me a copy because I absolutely LOVED it! The blurb had me a little skeptical at first because well, it's about Rehab. I assumed the book would go all serious on me and I wouldn't like it but thank goodness it didn't! I'm not sure what I enjoyed more, Kate/Katie's character or the plot itself! The credit goes to the author either way because it's her writing that kept me interested.
Utterly forgettable. In fact, I'm not entirely sure why I bothered to finish this one on the first place. Somehow, despite this book being a totally bloated 425 pages long, I felt like I didn't know anything about our protagonist, Katie. Even though the book wrapped up all of its loose ends, I felt like nothing got solved. I don't even know where this book took place, other than some unnamed city in the East, with a guest appearance by a mountain resort rehab which I guess was also East. My best ...more
Jennifer Lane
Catherine McKenzie Spins a Great Story

Though Kate Sanford has thirty years under her belt, what she really needs is thirty days of rehab. Luckily fate intervenes to procure the much needed treatment when she shows up completely drunk to a coveted journalist interview. It's no surprise when the magazine writes her off for that position, but they have another opportunity in mind: go to rehab (undercover) to spy on the latest it-girl actress Amber Sheppard. If she gets the goods on Amber, Kate may

Here are the links &

Make sure you get it, it's HILARIOUS!
Bèbè ✦ the Ryski  ✦
Spin is a fun, fast read for all of those 20-somethings (or who still feel like 20-somethings) who know exactly how it is to go out there and have just "one drink" ;)

I loved Katie and her fun personality. Landing a job at firm of her dreams was everything that she wanted and when she finally gets the opportunity... yeaaa she gets wasted. But no she doesn't have a problem and even going to rehab for a job to spy on a celebrity doesn't stop her.

Believing she doesn't need treatment (just like every
Love, love love this book! Really, it's chick lit at its best. Great characters, tight plots, realistic romance. If you are looking for the next great chick lit book, then this is definitely it.
Kerstyn M.
This book amazed me.
I was first drawn to "Spin" one day, when in the teen section of my local bookstore. Next to all the vampire romance and other such teen trends of the moment, a realistic, unique novel like this jumped right out at me.
I HAD to read it, no exceptions.
Because of where I bought this book from, I was somewhat surprised by the thirty-year-old heroine, but quickly became grateful that this book could focus on adult characters, and yet have a voice so familiar to all readers.
We all

“Hi. My name is Katie. I’m a writer, and um... I’m an alcoholic.”
“Hi, Katie!” says the group.
“Wrebbit!” says TGND

The gist. Katie has a dream job. She wants to be able to write at this magazine she's been dying to be part of. There's an opening (a grace from heaven) and make do to prep and fill up her credentials. She gets too excited and gets way out of hand that ends her in a drunken stupor with the interview on the next day. So she went (15 minutes late) still in buzz and haze. Of course s
I didn't really expect to like this book. Too many books about wannabe writers who want to show off their Hollywood connections and lifestyles of the rich and famous behaving badly have turned my stomach. The authors are often self absorbed. Now I can honestly say this book kept me reading far past the hour that a woman with four children and a professional job should be reading because I was so intrigued and really cared about the protagonist. She was funny, snarky, and not very self aware but ...more
Wow. That's what I'll start off with. I really enjoyed this book. The story was fast paced and engaging, and I found myself unable to put it down. When I finally finished, I was going back and rereading snippets. When I finally finished with THAT, I stuck it in my neighbor's mailbox was a large note saying READ NOW!!! Katie is a great heroine, despite all of her flaws. In fact, it's her horrible screw ups that make her so endearing. On one level, the book was hysterical. Katie is snarky and kick ...more
If you never thought of a posh rehab center as an ideal setting for a madcap adventure, think again. SPIN's unique setting makes for a fresh and funny read -- and one with a moral too. Katie Sandford stands heroic despite -- and perhaps because -- of her imperfections in this wildly entertaining debut novel by Catherine McKenzie.
I've now read 4 books written by this author and I have to say that this one is my favorite but first a general review of the author: I read a lot and I find some books simply exhausting. The author just tries too hard to incorporate too many time periods, too many characters and too many story lines. For someone who works and reads in their (little) free time, I often have to work so hard to figure out what is going on in the book.

Catherine McKenzie is smarter than that. She gives us one story
Jan 19, 2010 Darlene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Darlene by:
"Spin" has easily found it's way at the top of my "favorite book list". Kate(which is what I prefer to call i her in the beginning), has deep rooted issues that she didn't even realize she had. She's raw and I truly believe every reader can connect with her. I tend to connect with the main character of every book that I have read, but with Kate, I really felt like she was speaking to me, telling me her story, telling me to go for the changes I have longed to make in my life, and to really relax ...more
I finished reading this novel a few minutes ago (it's now 6:11 PM EST) and I must say that it was a very good story, with an equal blending of humor, emotional tensions, and solid character development.

Normally, novels of this genre I don't read because contemporary novels don't interest me very much. But the author is a Goodreads friend and for that reason, I bought the book and read it.

The main character, Kate Sandford, is a quirky, impulsive, fun-loving woman bordering on 30 who aspires to
Lydia Laceby
Originally Reviewed at Novel Escapes

Catherine McKenzie’s engaging debut novel has proven her as one to watch. Her voice is fresh, new and compelling. SPIN is a witty, fun, laugh out loud novel, yet had a grittier subject matter and I absolutely could not put it down.

I found the heavier subject of addiction offset nicely by Kate’s highly entertaining thoughts and antics along the way, so it didn’t come across as too heavy, nor did it feel too light. Kathryn felt this might have been made a little
Kate Sandford is almost 30, but she still poses as a graduate student at times for the free food available at graduate events. She writes articles for the newspaper about obscure but interesting bands, and when she gets an interview at The Line, a music magazine that she has always aspired to work at, she is ecstatic. The night before the interview she goes out with friends to celebrate the combination of her birthday and the interview and, well, over-celebrates a little. She arrives at her inte ...more
I loved this book! More intelligent than your average chick lit, SPIN takes a sensitive yet humourous look at life amongst the celebrities inside a rehab facility.
Katie Sandford, the heroine of this story is equal parts clever, goofy, and natural. I found her easy to relate to, especially her love of music. In some respects, Katie's career dreams are very similar to my own, so I was avidly reading to see how things would work out for her.

Catherine McKenzie's writing is tight, funny, and fast-pac
Kathleen Peacock
I finally picked SPIN up last week and it’s been a total time sucker. In the best possible way.

Other than sharing a nickname, I have absolutely nothing in common with Kate Sanford. In fact, I’m pretty sure Kate would hate me. I’d be a hipper version of her roommate, Joanne, the square. In fact, in real life, I might really want to hate Kate. I kept trying to hate her in the book (a few times I actually managed it) but she’s weirdly likable. Even when I sorta wanted to throttle her, I couldn’t he
Aliisa Percival
This book + me = love. It was the perfect blend of trashy and meaningful, a lovely light read that still has powerful messages to share. And for some reason (utterly unrelated to Mesmerized I'm sure) I was inordinately pleased with the beautiful grammar! It's casually written but I didn't note more than two or three errors OVERALL. Hearts in eyes etc.

One passage that I found striking enough to share:

I start making a list of ideas that will hopefully impress my new colleagues but end up with a li
I loved the writing and really liked hearing Katie's voice as she worked through her struggles. Spin by Catherine McKenzie is a fun book....until it gets a bit too unbelievable.

From the beginning you know that things will work out for Katie, I mean this is a chick-lit, but the way things worked out kind of bugged me. Considering how much she lied, I found it odd how quick everyone was willing to forgive her. There was no real fighting or consequences for her actions. She did bad stuff and got r
I loved this book! With the topic of rehab, I thought it might be a little darker than the author's other novel I read, Arranged. However, I was pleasantly surprised that it had a light tone about it. I love Catherine McKenzie's writing style where the characters are deep but the tone of the book is light. I love the romance in her novels that aren't exactly the whole focus of the novel, but add an attractive element that adds dimension and that "I can't put this book down," feel.
Captivating and packed with tasteful humor, Spin is an entertaining and relaxing read. Thirty-year-old Cate Sandford, posing to her friends as a twenty-five-year-old grad student, is given the opportunity to do her dream job. She is willing to betray new friends, lie to old friends and, for all practical purposes, sell her soul to get said dream job.

The lively beginning of this book hooked me immediately. Although this isn't an action-packed, edge-of-your-chair read, I would still call it a page
Christina M
I love Spin! I loved how funny it was (it was very funny), and how so many things happens with just the right amount of pages to describe them. The book is not a romance type of book, but there is a romance going on between the main character and another and what I appreciated about it, was that it was very subtle, not cheesy and when something ''cute'' was happening it was straightforward adorable.
Spin by Catherine McKenzie is a thrilling novel that takes you through the different live of Kate Sanford. Based around the theme of celebrity obsession and importance of media, this novel has a twist that will keep you constantly engaged.
Kate Sanford was about to land her dream job as a journalist at The Line, but after arriving drunk at the interview, this option seemed to disappear. However, if she could attend a specific rehabilitation center and write a killer expose about current It-Gir
Stayed up late finishing SPIN. Totally fun, totally addictive. Wasn't quite sure how it was going to end, which is always a pleasure to have happen. Somewhere between Bridget Jones Diary (but a much better protagonist), a million little pieces (but much more fun) and the movie Almost Famous (but, you know, a book). Can't wait to read more from Catherine McKenzie!
This is a really enjoyable read about a wannabe music journo who loses her chance at a big break due to going to her dream job interview drunk . . . and ends up being offered the chance to go undercover at rehab to find out about America's sweetheart. It turns out, however, that rehab may have more to offer her than a career opportunity.
I loved this book. It was a fast paced book, & I loved Kate. (Because she could be anybody- including me) She made some bad decision, but in the end all her bad decision led her to who she really is. Sometimes you really just need to take a breath, & a time out to figure out what you really want & need.(less)
A hybrid? 2 40 Aug 24, 2012 09:16AM
  • These Girls
  • Beneath a Starlet Sky
  • Pinch Me
  • Unscripted
  • Whose Bed Is It Anyway?
  • More Like Her
Catherine McKenzie was born and raised in Montreal, Canada. A graduate of McGill University and McGill Law School, Catherine practices law in Montreal. An avid runner and skier, she's the author of the international bestsellers SPIN, ARRANGED, FORGOTTEN, HIDDEN and the novella, SPUN. HIDDEN was a #1 Amazon bestseller and a Digital Bookworld bestseller for five weeks. Catherine's newest novel, SMOK ...more
More about Catherine McKenzie...
Hidden Arranged Forgotten Spun Smoke

“Love isn't simple, Katie, and neither is life. Things that are worth having are sometimes complicated, and they evoke complicated emotions. You know, one of the reasons people often turn to alcohol or drugs is that they can't deal with complications.” 18 likes
“It’s just how love gets described in the movies. Like in Sleepless in Seattle . . .” This is the movie they showed us last night. “Tom Hanks’s character is musing about why he fell in love with his dead wife, and he says that it was because she could peel an apple in one long strip, or something like that. And I was reading something similar in a book recently, only that was about peeling an orange . . . anyway . . . I’ve just never felt like the way someone peels fruit would be a reason to spend the rest of your life with them.” 3 likes