Start by marking “City of the Fallen Sky (Pathfinder Tales)” as Want to Read:
City of the Fallen Sky (Pathfinder Tales)

City of the Fallen Sky (Pathfinder Tales #8)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Once an alchemical researcher with the dark scholars of the Technic League, Alaeron fled their arcane order when his conscience got the better of him, taking with him a few strange devices of unknown function. Now in hiding in a distant city, he’s happy to use his skills creating minor potions and wonders—at least until the back-alley rescue of an adventurer named Jaya lan ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 15th 2012 by Paizo Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about City of the Fallen Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of the Fallen Sky

Prince of Wolves by Dave GrossDeath's Heretic by James L. SutterMaster of Devils by Dave GrossQueen of Thorns by Dave GrossPirate's Honor by Chris A. Jackson
pathfinder novels
7th out of 30 books — 16 voters
City of the Fallen Sky by Tim PrattNoble Sacrifice by Richard  FordStalking the Beast by Howard Andrew JonesPlague of Shadows by Howard Andrew JonesSkinwalkers by Wendy N. Wagner
Pathfinder Tales
1st out of 43 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Jacob Proffitt
While the Pathfinder Tales are fun stories, I begin to see that they are targeted at a specific demographic--a demographic with an appetite for adventure and zero appetite for romance.

Which makes the books fun, but also makes me wary of potential romantic entanglements. That particularly hampered my enjoyment of this book because Jaya is so obviously a manipulative con who uses sex (or the promise of it) as a tool to get what she wants. It doesn't help that Alaeron is both a good guy and so obvi
Chris Jackson
I am quickly becoming a huge fan of the Pathfinder Tales novels; they are quick and fun reads, and I have yet to find one that was poorly written, plotted or paced. They are all based in the Pathfinder world of Golarion, but even if you don't play Pathfinder, the online references that paizo puts up on the Pathfinder Wiki are enough to get you oriented.

City of the Fallen Sky really tweaked one of my happy reader nerves with the introduction of the main character, Alaeron, who is an alchemist and
This is best pathfinder novel I read so far. The pathfinder novels are stories that are set in the world Golarion of the pathfinder roleplay. I like to read these books because they flesh out the world I use in my roleplay games.

And this book, like I said before, is the best of the pathfinder novels I read so far. Because of different reasons three unlikely characters undertake a difficult journey in search of a legendary lost city. From this synopsis you might conclude that this is a cliché fa
Matthew Paluch
Adored Liars Balde and look forward to the next Liar's installment, but this didnt really do it for me. i LOVED all of the pathfinder/golarion specific lore, but i just never really cared about any of the characters or their goals or struggles.

The writing itself, stylistically, is fantastic - tim pratt knows his craft.

The lore is so good i am really at 3.5 stars. I just didnt partiocularly care for the characters.

I will say the last 2-3 chapters end the novel very very well. Instead of the us
Joel Flank
Tim Pratt does a great job of evoking the flavor of the world of Golarion, and intrigues long time fans by combining elements of two of the world's greatest mysteries - the technological wonders from Numeria and the fallen sky city of Kho. In doing so, he weaves a an adventure tale reminiscent of many other searches for lost cities and treasures, and it feels like you're reading an Indiana Jones movie, but set in a fantasy world. The main characters must journey across exotic locales, deal with ...more
fast paced, good story twists. I can't remember the last time, that a story made me want to play in the places mentioned in a book. the story describes two very peculiar and interesting places, The silver mount and The fallen city of Kho. Although giving a very good taste of those places it leaves you wanting to hear more.
A fun, easy read that showcased some interesting parts of Golarion. I find it interesting that Alaeron is a patriot and how it will likely play a role in how he handles certain situations in the future.
I enjoyed this book for what it was: A mainstream high adventure fantasy novel that you can finish in a weekend. It was not a work of art or deep threaded tapestry like Game of Thrones, but it serves its purpose and niche very well.

The story revolves around an Alchemist who is interesting if for no other reason than he stands out from many of our typical fantasy classes by his profession. He doesn't cast spells and he doesn't fight with a big sword. He throws and drinks vials.

This is a great boo
Carlos Flores
The book was very well done. It is what every novel in the series should aim. The connections to the RPG are palpable, the world is explored but not with much details that make world building epics boring. And the characters of Skyver and Alaeron are an unlikely pair that mixes quite well.

There wasn't even a part where I was bored or uninterested. And at each step I could find myself like I was living in the world. Though there is a problem with the character of Jaya. It was dull and fell to a
Tim Martin
I liked it. It was a fun adventure story.
Decent enough dungeon crawler. I'd give it a 3.5 if I could.
Temple raiding adventure with modern story twists.
Troy Taylor
Second Tim Pratt novel I've read. Thoroughly enjoyed his take on a "King Solomon's Mines" type adventure, including all the weird science. Most of all, he developed a wonderful back'n'forth relationship among the main characters. I'm very much looking forward to reading his next entry in the PF series.
John Coleman
Typical RPG=based novel, entertaining but not what I'll ever reread. Alchemist as main character was a nice twist.
One of the best reads in a while. It was fun with great pacing. Each character was distinct with a personality to get to know. The story is a fast pace adventure, but the protagonist is more clever than combative. The laughs are regular and keep you smiling.
Phil M
Some fantastic sections of writing (will definitely be looking for more from this author), but the overall story was pretty lame. I love adventures with a lot of travel and adventure, but there was more travel than adventure here.
A great Pathfinder novel, with (mostly) likeable characters. Though the game rule references can be a bit heavy-handed, the interaction between the characters and the overall plot make the references forgivable.
Skut L
Great characterization brought this out of the mire of a stereotypical dungeon crawl.
Another decent Pathfinder novel.
Dave marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Seven marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Jim Rogers
Jim Rogers marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
  • Nightglass (Pathfinder Tales)
  • The Worldwound Gambit (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Death's Heretic (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Prince of Wolves (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Winter Witch
  • Plague of Shadows (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Called to Darkness (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Pirate's Honor (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Song of the Serpent (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Bestiary
  • Pathfinder Campaign Setting:  The Inner Sea World Guide
  • Epic Level Handbook
  • Artifact of Evil (Greyhawk Adventures, #2)
  • Brimstone Angels: A Forgotten Realms Novel

Pathfinder Tales (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Prince of Wolves (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Winter Witch
  • Plague of Shadows (Pathfinder Tales)
  • The Worldwound Gambit (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Master of Devils (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Death's Heretic (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Song of the Serpent (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Nightglass (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Blood of the City (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Queen of Thorns (Pathfinder Tales)