Start by marking “Leah's Pony” as Want to Read:
Leah's Pony

Leah's Pony

Leah's pony was swift and strong. Together they would cross through cornfields and over pastures, chasing cattle as they galloped under summer skies. Then came the year the corn grew no taller than a man's thumb. Locusts blackened the sky. The earth turned to dust. Gone were the cornfields and pastures where Leah and her pony once rode. It was the beginning of the great dr ...more
Published September 1st 1999 by Boyds Mills Press (first published February 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Leah's Pony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leah's Pony

Chrisshonda Williams
Mar 13, 2017 Chrisshonda Williams rated it it was amazing
i think this story will be about a pony
Michelle
Mar 30, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: slib-520
historical fiction

Leah's Pony Paperback – September 1, 1999
by Elizabeth Friedrich (Author), Michael Garland (Illustrator)

Themes
Great Depression
Ponies
Farm life
Droughts

Awards:
Best Books :
Adventuring with Books: A Booklist for PreK-Grade 6, 12th Edition, 1999 National Council of Teachers of English
Children's Catalog, Eighteenth Edition, 2001 H.W. Wilson
Children's Catalog, Nineteenth Edition, 2006 H.W. Wilson
Children's Choices, 1997 International Reading Association
Notable Children's Trade Books in
Jazzmin
Dec 18, 2012 Jazzmin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-reads
Sometimes I love to read children's books because they are so light and pleasurable to read... this one was different from many, though, in the amount of heart and meaning to it. I remember reading this book when I was in elementary school after checking it out at the library. I remember really liking it, but I'm glad I read it again now because I can more fully appreciate the heartwarming sacrifice that Leah makes for her family. This is my favorite aspect of the book; her selflessness is so ad ...more
Libby
This was a very good book and Leah does alot to help her family in the trouble of the Great Depression. This is book talked about the aution that happend at her parents farm and how the neighbors bought items at the auction. Leah sells her pony to the store owner and then he writes a note to her and Leah gets to keep her pony. This story just shows how neighbors and other people band together to help out during difficult times. I enjoy reading about books that have to do with the Great Depressio ...more
Foxytocin
Nov 25, 2009 Foxytocin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: families who like to discuss history and morals
Recommended to Foxytocin by: a friend who was a chidren's librarian for many years
An exceptional story about a brave child and a family facing a bad situation....poignant, and one of those that brings tears to the eyes of many an adult who reads it (I sobbed through the last two pages, but I'm a softie)....I think most young children don't get the point fully, but it's definitely worth reading it to them to help develop empathy. And the story, while poignant, ends well.
On another note, I love the illustrations. Stark and simple, they convey the feeling of the harshness of the
Francisco Guevara
Oct 27, 2015 Francisco Guevara rated it it was amazing
Leah's dad surprised new pony for her. Leah loved it. Her dad taught her how to ride pony/horse. She did ride at well.Leah rode pony around her town. Suddenly, her parents got problem with loan due from bank. They can't afford it and decided have to move out. They tried sell their house even farm. Leah was sad and has idea was sell her new pony. Now her pony sold and she got money which is low. She ran home and giving to boss of bank. However, he decided to Leah family can stay their home. They ...more
Heather
Another book on the Depression/Dust Bowl. The illustrations are nicely done and the text flows easily. It does't really go into depth as to what the problems are, just that the family is having a hard time due to crop failures and dust. It's a very sweet and touching story, not only of how this daughter tries to save the family farm, but of how the neighbors all work together to save and help each other.

I think this adds a lovely human aspect to the era, but for facts and real "history" you'll n
Hayley
Sep 15, 2013 Hayley rated it liked it
Author: Elizabeth Friedrich
Illustrator: Michael Garland
Genre: Historical Fiction
Grade Level: 2.8
Lexile: 580L

Summary: In this story, Leah has a pony that she loves very much. She loves riding her through the countryside. Unfortunately, the land experiences a hideous drought. Her family has to deal with maybe losing their farm. Her family holds an auction to raise money. Everyone is shocked when Leah’s bids with money she earned from selling her pony. This is a great story to teach values, what ha
Barbara L.
May 17, 2010 Barbara L. rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Leah's Pony was well written, heartwarming, and beautifully illustrated. It tells the story about a girl and her family during the hard times of the Dust Bowl era. It includes themes of self sacrifice and people standing together to support one another in times of need. I had to hold back tears while reading this to my preschoolers. A lovely book.
Becca Flanagan
Sep 18, 2014 Becca Flanagan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edrd-314
In this book the illustrations are beautiful, with beautiful writing as well. The message behind this story brings the book from a good book to a fantastic book. It teaches kids that selfless acts are rewarded and offers great awareness of what really matters in the world. I absolutely loved this book.
Kristen
May 13, 2015 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Third grade +.

"A young girl sells her horse and raises enough money to buy back her father's tractor, which is up for auction, in this story of a Depression era (1930's) farm."

Excellent pictures! A heart-warming story of a community and family drawn together through hard times.
Betsy Owens
Mar 21, 2013 Betsy Owens rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book to use when teaching problem and solution. Leah's sacrificial solution has a powerful effect on all of her neighbors. The final outcome is definitely above and beyond the young girl's initial expectations.
Lauren
Dec 01, 2010 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horses, favorites
This was a very cute book about a girl and her family in hard times and her parents give her a pony but in the end she sells it and buys back everything at the auction the bank is holding at her farm also the nice man she sold her pony to gives it back to her!! sweet ending.
Kelley Hazen
May 19, 2014 Kelley Hazen rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Empowers young readers. Easy story to follow. Lovely message.
Morbus Iff
Oct 07, 2011 Morbus Iff rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
The first book J ever borrowed from a library. I never knew of penny auctions.
Candi
Jul 07, 2008 Candi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-kids
Read-aloud
Leia-Catherine
Mar 17, 2009 Leia-Catherine rated it it was amazing
I liked it because it was about a girl named Leah and about a horse.
Amber Pound
A young girl helps her family during the Great Depression. Good to use for predicting.
Teri
Jul 22, 2013 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: horses
Wonderful story! My girls LOVED it. While the ending is happy, it's definitely not realistic. The bank still needs to be paid. . .
Cyndi Goodgame
Nov 29, 2014 Cyndi Goodgame rated it it was amazing
Great story
Dec 28, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Great story of giving and thinking of others!
D.shelton
This is a wonderful story and it is a good book for sequencing.
Christy
Jul 30, 2011 Christy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kenzie-2011
This was such a great book to read with my 8 year old. We talked about the Great Depression and how hard it would have been to go through. I made my 11 year old read it too.
Claudia Bell
May 04, 2014 Claudia Bell rated it it was amazing
What a moving story about a girl and her horse set in the Dust Bowl in 1930 and her sacrificial love for her family.
Aven
Jul 26, 2010 Aven rated it it was ok
It's been a while since I've read this book. Seems like I didnt like it when I read it. Can't remember what the book was about though. Guess it didn't make an impression on me.
Corri Johnson
Apr 19, 2009 Corri Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4th-grade
Great story in our Basal book. It teaches kids, in my opinion, that there are still people out there who care and who think of others. This is one I wouldn't mind owning to read with my own kids.
Sheila
Dec 31, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
What a touching story. This one brought tears to my eyes, and made me choke up as I was reading it aloud to my daughter.
Bree
Notes:
family in 30's nearly loses farm but 'penny auction' saves it
best for age 8+
beautifully illustrated
Rachel
Feb 27, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
A real tear-jerker! (Great for kids, too.)
Destinie
Destinie rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2012
  • Very Last First Time
  • A Family Secret
  • The Buffalo Are Back
  • Years of Dust
  • The Journal of C. J. Jackson, a Dust Bowl Migrant, Oklahoma to California, 1935  (My Name Is America)
  • Wanted: The Perfect Pet