Start by marking “UnEarthed” as Want to Read:
UnEarthed

UnEarthed (UnEarthed #1)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
If you’re going to colonise a planet, you’d better be willing to fight for it.
Within Anphobos, there grows a new race. The first generation of humans never to set foot on Earth. They are pale skinned, large eyed and worship no god but science. They possess technological skills and processes Earth has refused to acknowledge. Until now…
“We are Martian. Your religion isn’t o
Published (first published November 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about UnEarthed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about UnEarthed

Jenna O'connell
Nov 25, 2014 Jenna O'connell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
UnEarthed is a novel that earns its place as a stellar piece of Young Adult Fiction. With its mature themes and focus on important and far-reaching current issues, as well as a powerful female protagonist, the novel represents the place that Young Adult Fiction has needed to head for a while. It neither panders to young adults, nor assumes a need for censorship of strong and sometimes violent ideas.

The story follows a sixteen-year-old Earth girl, Jodi Scarfield, as she is forced by her mother t
Kathylill
Since my first epic encounter with Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs almost 25 years back I have been a big fan of Science Fiction Amine (TV) series. Unearthed's premise is not unlike Sabor Rider: The plot is set in the distant future. Humans have spread beyond Earth and colonized planets, creating a New Frontier of man.

As soon as Jodi Scarfield sets foot on the Mars colony I have been intrigued. Unearthed has been a pleasant surprise, bringing back some very beloved childhood memories. This sc
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship

the word i'm thinking of is ordinary. mundane.

UnEarthed could have been an ordinary, snuggle-down, tad pleasant novel; it could have been a cherry-lemon pill to bite down on when I'm bored with the world, which while is a frequent occurrence for me is still momentary; it should have been easy to get through considering its length of 160 pages, but I only got to 80, exact.

Now there are infinite possibilities as to what could have happened. My ARC expired, Martians took capt
Jane
Oct 08, 2012 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, to-review, 3
UnEarthed by Rebecca Bloomer

3 Stars

Colonised a number of years ago, Mars is the first planet to have humans born there who have never been to earth. Fed up with answering to, and relying on earth, some of the natives have started a revolution, they want independence and will do anything to get it. When Jodi Scarfield and her mum join their father in the colony, Jodi meets some interesting kids her own age but finds herself right in the middle of the political fight.

UnEarthed is a fairly quick re
Dragana
Nov 01, 2012 Dragana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ya sf fans and lovers of novels about colonies on other worlds
Jodi Scarfield is a computer geek and a hacker. If you disregard hacking part, she is just an ordinary girl: goes to school, hangs out with her best friend etc. But then Jodi and her mother move to colony on planet Mars where her father works, and she becomes 'little Earth girl'. The book is very good in describing problems that happen when moving to a unknown environment. New school, society rules and customs, food, religion, politics,...

The differences between two planets are many: from obvio
Mark O'Dwyer
Dec 13, 2015 Mark O'Dwyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mars. Scientists and film makers can't leave it alone. Val Kilmer and Matt Damon have been abandoned there. Dubious billionaires sell tickets for the voyage. Surely we have all, at least once, imagined ourselves living on the red planet under that big protective bubble, protected by every kind of engineering wonder. But have we actually thought about showers? The food? Have we thought about what to wear, how school would work, the taxes, the politics?

It's one thing for newbie Jodi Scarfield to h
Chrissy
I never really read much about spaceships or other planets until I read ACROSS THE UNIVERSE back in the day -- and that book was just so MAGICAL that it really opened my mind to others with a similar theme -- despite the fact that I never considered myself really interested in any fiction dealing with things related to outer space.

So, that's how I came to read UNEARTHED, by Rebecca Bloomer, which I believe is the first in a series (or, if it's not a series, I know there's at least a second book
Lindsay
May 26, 2016 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
UnEarthed is a unique YA sci-fi tale that both teens and adults will love. Jodi is a well-developed character full of intelligence, curiosity, and spirit. Unlike many YA books, UnEarthed is surprisingly upbeat and positive in spite of dealing with some fairly serious issues.

UnEarthed doesn't get a full 5 stars from me because it had a lot of grammar and editing issues. Luckily, it didn't distract too much from the story to keep me from enjoying. There were also a few points that could have been
Emily
Jan 04, 2014 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
***Note: I received this as an e-book through Netgalley from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. In no way does that effect the thoughts and opinions expressed here. I did not get compensated in any way for this review.***

Jodi Scarfieldf is a new arrival to the Mars colony Anphobos, fresh off the shuttle from Earth. She’s full of spunk, has an incredible brain for IT programming, and bites her nails when her emotions get the better of her. Anphobos is alien to her – full of technolog
Angela
2.5*

Decent enough story but I find it to be far too short to be effective. I love short stories so I know how effective they can be if they are written well but this book had too many ideas flying around (and not all the ideas I feel were explored enough for me) for that to happen.

The characters were good but could have been developed better, as could the plotline of government upheaval and impending riots. I also didn't think the character of Jules was very believable, he basically changed from
Natalie Frampton
This is going to be quite a short review as it is a short book.
Jodi and her mother find themselves moving to Mars to be with her father who has been working there. They arrive to find a new civilisation which is to become their new home.
The author does a fantastic job at world building. She really goes into great detail to describe the civilisation on Mars that has been built. Not only does she describe the landscape but also the society that has arisen.
Upon Mars live many that have never left
Bec
Dec 05, 2012 Bec rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I think UnEarthed is actually the first book based on a Mars colony that I've ever read. And my impression? It was... okay. Not terrible, but not amazing. There were elements I liked and a lot of elements I was... indifferent about. It ended up just being a tolerable book which wasn't a chore to read, but I wasn't losing sleep because of either.

This feeling mainly stemmed from the average writing and my thoughts of the main character. The writing was tolerable. It was decent. But it couldn't com
Stacey
Dec 22, 2013 Stacey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
More Reviews:

**I received this as an eARC through Netgalley from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. In no way does that effect the thoughts and opinions expressed here. I did not get compensated in any way for this review.**

REVIEW

My thoughts are a jumbled mess when it comes to thinking about Unearthed, much like the book itself was. For being such a short read (right around 100 pages) it took me THREE days to finish it! There were some ideas that I liked; life on Mars, along with
Lynxie
Going into this one I was thinking aliens were going to attack humans on Mars, that's what I got from the blurb, yet that is not what the tale is about. I think the blurb needs to be rethought to avoid confusion on the readers part and potential lower ratings due to attracting the wrong audience.

I quite enjoyed Jodi's sense of humour and her thought processes. As an IT person, I got quite a bit of a kick from that side of the story. I loved being thrust into the tech side of things.

Rest assured
Aurélie (Exploring Pages)
May 26, 2014 Aurélie (Exploring Pages) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in Mars and politics
Recommended to Aurélie (Exploring Pages) by: Netgalley
This review appears on RelleReads. Check it out for reviews, writing and more! Nope, kidding. Just those two.
"We are Martian. Your religion isn't ours. Our god is Mars. Our religion is science. Anything we do in the service of Mars, is good. Make no mistake, Earth girl, we are both right and good."
- Rebecca Bloomer, Unearthed

Thank you Netgalley and Odyssey Books for providing me with a copy of this book!

After reading the description, I honestly didn't know what to expect from UnEarthed. Maybe a
Nov 13, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately this is going to be a very short review . The book was also short and I do not want to reveal any spoilers .

I will start by saying that this is my first science fiction book that I have ever read . And I have liked it and I SINCERELY RECOMMEND IT to you .

UnEarthed is a verry well written , I liked Rebecca Bloomer style a lot . I have loved the book , but I have to tell you that I wish it could have been longer . Please do not get me wrong for saying this , the book is verry good ,
Liberty Gilmore
Jul 19, 2014 Liberty Gilmore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
I'm really glad that proper science fictiony YA is starting to become more widespread and popular. In the wake of all this paranormal romance Twilight stuff, it's refreshing to see publishers being a bit more adventurous.

I wouldn't say Unearthed is the best example of the genre but there's loads to like about it. Jodi makes for a really likeable main character with her sass and independence. There's plenty of very human background stuff, such as the strained relationship between her parents, con
Juliana Rodrigues
Unearthed is a fast turn-page adventure, with a little of romance and a lot of good humor.

Jodi is a teenage who is moving out with her mother to Mars, where her daddy lives. Jodi doesn't like the idea until she is introduced to how it really is to live in Mars.
The human colony in Mars name is Anphobos, and it is basically inhabited and developed for and to scientists and technogeeks. For a hacker like Jodi, this can be a paradise!
Whithin the dome that protects Anphobos, live is clean, organi
D.M. Dutcher
Nice young adult science fiction, but maybe a little too short for its own good.

Jodi is a smart earth teen with a penchant for hacking. She moves with her mother to Mars to reunite with her father, and once there has to deal with the difficulties of adjusting to an entirely new planet. It gets hard when she lands right in the middle of a local conflict involving the government and a splinter faction of hardline protesters. It looks like no matter where you go, trouble can find you...

I liked the
Sabrina
Jan 05, 2016 Sabrina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, review-books, ew, dnf
I would like to thank Rebecca Bloomer for giving me the opportunity to read and review her book. While I appreciate the copy, my review will be completely honest and I will rate it as it appeals to me/my preferences.

I just can't go on...
I tried. I really, really tried to finish this book! I just can't.
The book failed to capture my interest, and this far deep into the book, I don't feel it's worth any more of my time. When I got to around page 25, I thought about stopping, but decided to press o
Pam
I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley for an honest review. Jodi is moving to a new place and it is an unusual one. She along with her mother are going to Mars to join her father. Mars has some humans who were born there as it was colonized years ago. Jodi tries to fit in but has found herself in the middle of a political fight. One she isn't sure about but has found she is right in the middle of it.

Jodi is a smart girl after all she can hack just about any computer.
Esther
Dec 03, 2013 Esther rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, I would just like to touch on the point that I do not feel that the blurb was accurate in relation to the book's plot and outcome.
Also, before I proceed with the actual review, I would like to highlight the fact that the word 'stupid-er' is used once in the story. Make of that what you will.
Moving on...
This book was great, and would have definitely been 5 stars, if not for the ending. The ending left me confused. I was asking myself, 'what actually happened when he attacked her?' and,
Dawn Vanniman
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Jodi is a teen computer geek and her dad takes a job in a Mars colony, so the whole family has to move to Mars. Jodi meets a bunch of kids that were born and raised on Mars and aren't really that fond of Earth people. There's quite a bit of politics, the 'martians' want to be independent of Earth.

The characters are okay. Sometimes the characters seemed to act out of character, but it wasn't too often or even terribly obvious. T
Kelly
Jan 31, 2013 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, proof, 2013
The book started off strong and really held my interest. The main premise is this uber geek girl was heading off to a Mars colony with her mum to join her father who had been working there. Settling in for her mum is hard and she realises that some of the friends she's made aren't all they seem.

The colony setting on Mars is really well described though and the main character is actually very well written and you do find yourself liking her.

Great premise and enjoyed reading but was so disappointe
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
Unfortunately this book expired before I could finish it. I was 15 pages from the end when it happened. So without knowing the end here are my brief thoughts. This book was great but it did suffer a bit from being a bit to short. Another 20 pages would of made events feel not so rushed. I liked the writing and the main character was great. I also felt that the Sci-fi elements were creative and unique. I especially loved the tattoos those were really such a clever idea. Would I recommend this boo ...more
Rachel Verna
Oct 17, 2012 Rachel Verna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to win this book in a giveaway. While it was rather good, I think it was a bit short. I don't think they was enough a build up and felt a bit rushed. However, that really my only compliant. The world building quite good and there was quite clear image of the colony given.

I didn't feel really that attached to any of the characters, but I think that links back to length issue.
BookLoversLife
May 15, 2012 BookLoversLife rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Unearthed. A good SCI/FI book :)
Hexe
Hexe marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
  • The White Oak
  • Himself
  • Broken Angels
  • Blood Zero Sky
  • Tempestuous: A Modern-Day Spin on Shakespeare's The Tempest (Twisted Lit, #1)
  • The Legend of Ellie Quin (Ellie Quin, #1)
  • Riot
  • Kaylen's Rising (Tomes of Taria, Book #1)
  • Worlds Burn Through (The Chronicles of Nowhere #1)
  • The Lost Son
  • Luminaire (Florence Waverley, #2)
  • Making the Best of the Zombie Apocalypse
  • Another 365 Days
  • Debris Dreams
  • Blüd and Magick
  • Through Glass, Episode Four (Through Glass, #4)
  • Dead, Actually
  • The Girl in the Wall
I'm an adventure junkie who likes to write. I collect pretty things - baubles, phrases, people - and write them into stories so others can adventure with me.

I have never, to my knowledge, used the word 'boring' (unless it pertained to what small animals were doing to my woodwork) and hope I never will.
More about Rebecca Bloomer...

UnEarthed (2 books)
  • UnEarthly (Unearthed, #2)