Start by marking “Joy of the Season” as Want to Read:
Joy of the Season

Joy of the Season (Rupert's Legacy #1)

Hal Sims runs a non-profit hospice named after his older brother. For ten years, he's thrown himself into running the charity, and keeping his brother's memory alive. Hal doesn't have time for a relationship, especially with a rich golden boy like Tavis Komen.

Tavis Komen wants to change his life, and decides volunteering at Rupert's Legacy is the first step to a better him
Published November 27th 2011 by MLR Press,LLC

To ask other readers questions about Joy of the Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joy of the Season

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This was a bit of a bittersweet story. Don't mistake me and think the couple, Hal and Tavis, don't end up together because they do but it's bittersweet for another reason which I will not say but I will say that it doesn't hinder the story in anyway. In fact, I think it made the story have that little edge that made it so wonderful while bringing Hal and Tavis closer together.

The story revolves around Hal owning and running an AIDS non-profit hospice center. Tavis, a big contributor to the cent
MsMiz (Tina)
Dec 05, 2011 MsMiz (Tina) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt-all, pdf
I cannot rate this one. I have been crying on and off for hours. T.A. is right with the title Joy of the Season....but man for the folks in this book it just....was hard to read. A beautiful look into the life of Hal, who has continued working with and creating a special AIDs hospice which he created in his brother's name over the last 15 years.
Dec 11, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a short story, this book tore me up. I had to stop a couple of times because it was so heart wrenching, but at the same time such a beautifully written story. Not what I expected from a short Christmas story and one that will stay with you after you finish.
Nov 29, 2011 Ami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-short-stories
This short story should come with a warning: IT WILL BREAK YOUR HEART

My friend, Tina is correct to say this book is hard to read. All throughout, you have a sense of something dreadful. This book takes readers into the life of hospice volunteers. It unabashedly introduces us into one of the patients, whom we are going to love, but know that he has short time left in this world.

So your heart will break, no matter if it infuses with hope of love in the future for Hal (the 45-year-old director who
Dec 07, 2011 Darkm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, short-stories
This story was very beautiful but hard to read at the same time.
(view spoiler)
Dee Wy
I haven't cried for ages, so I guess I was due. Wonderful story to make you think about those less fortunate than you are. Loved it!
Becky Condit
Dec 03, 2011 Becky Condit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s hard to say I enjoyed a story about people dying but since that’s not really the core of the book I can say I very much enjoyed watching Tavis become the angel of mercy he wants to be while he helps Hal become the strong, loving person he used to be. There is an HEA at the end, so it is worth sticking with the story through the Kleenex-laden pages to get to it.
Please see my complete review at
Aug 31, 2016 CAS rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holidaze
Words can not express the impact this amazing story has had on me. It is easily one of the most touching and memorable holiday stories I have read in well... forever. It is certainly one I will never forget and I am sure to re-visit time and again.

I can only say that I hope and I pray that there are many MANY places such as Rupert's Legacy all over the world. More importantly I hope there are equally as many if not MORE wonderful, amazing men like Hal and Tavis who reach out and "touch" those th
May 13, 2013 Charneen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-books
while reading this I literally I sat there crying, my husband asked me what was wrong and actually suggested I re-read why I love geeks since I laughed so hard.

this is truly a sad tale of loss so severe it defines who you are and what you shall become.

the fact the characters were able to see who they really were was amazing
Sep 09, 2014 CB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xmas-holiday
Such a sweet love story. I told myself I was not going to cry but I did - arghh. I felt so bad for Joey but his story does not take away from the love story, it really does enhance it and show how important love is and differences are not.

Even with the sad story, I finished the book feeling good. What a wonderful relationship and now I need to make a donation to my local Aids Foundation.
Sep 02, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really sweet book. I really Tavis and Joey, There were definetely some moments when i wanted to cry and laugh. But mostly i smiled throughout the book. I really loved it and i love T A Chase so, it was an awesome book
Aug 06, 2016 Shaz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, holidays
This was a wonderful story, one that made me cry, which doesn't happen very often. It wasn't an easy read because of the subject (An Aids hospice) but it was beautifully told.

And it left me with the hope of a great future for Hal and Tavis.
Very beautifully written story...quite sad (not for the main couple who have a HEA, but the setting just makes it sad) but just a wonderful read. This one is one of my favorite new holiday stories that I have read from anywhere this season, and one of her best that I've read in a while.
Veronica /  V
Dec 10, 2011 Veronica / V rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
I run out of tissues with this story, I was crying so much but,I could not stop reading.
This story is was for me an eye opener also, there must be in real life, people as beautiful and compassionate as Hal was.
Wonderful story, be prepared though.
Dec 07, 2011 Meggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shorts, christmas
God what a hard unique story. Truly special kind of a plot. I liked it a lot, it made me sad, but I know, it will stay in my mind for quite some time.
Dec 16, 2011 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written novella. Love is a powerful thing.

Thank you T.A. Chase for this lovely story.
Andi Anderson
Do not start reading this book if you don't have MANY tissues handy. Believe me, it's a beautiful story, but if you are looking for a lighthearted read...this one is NOT for you.
Travis starts voluntary work at a hospice, Hal and Travis meet in a time when the need each other. Sweet story as well as sad a parts but when love comes its all worth it.
Dec 09, 2011 Fuyu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holidays
Karen K
Jan 04, 2012 Karen K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-owned
**4.5 stars** I loved this short story - emotional, painful, but hopeful at the same time. I just really want more.
Jan 02, 2012 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story of trusting again, starting again and two people who seemingly have nothing in common, finding they have the important things in common. A great feel-good Christmas story!
Mandy*reads obsessively*
This was a real tear jerker! And although I liked it, I wish there had been more of the joy and romance than just at the end!
Cynthia Osborne
Dec 19, 2011 Cynthia Osborne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cried like a baby, such a wonderful heart felt story. I am recommending it to anyone who wishes for a beautifully written Christmas story about finding love that is given unconditionally.
Phuong rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2011
Frank Claudy
Frank Claudy rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Avidreader rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2011
Maria (aka Fashionta)
Maria (aka Fashionta) rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2011
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2011
Kim Yuuki
Kim Yuuki rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2014
Shari rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Every Time A Bell Rings (Wonderful Life #1)
  • Christmasing With You
  • Personal Shopper
  • The Match Before Christmas  (The Match Before Christmas #1)
  • His Christmas Wish (Men of Charlestown, #1)
  • Scarcity Holidays (Scarcity Sanctuary, #4)
  • Matches
  • Making His List
  • Winter Warmers
  • Jesse's Christmas
  • The Boy Behind the Red Door
  • Inspiration
  • I Heard Him Exclaim
  • Reindeer Games (Reindeer Games, #1)
  • Where the Heart Is
  • Hopes and Fears
  • Light Me Up (Deputy Joe, #2.5)
  • First Christmas
There is beauty in every kind of love, so why not live a life without boundaries? Experiencing everything the world offers fascinates me and writing about the things that make each of us unique is how I share those insights. I live in the Midwest with a wonderful partner of thirteen years. When not writing, I’m watching movies, reading and living life to the fullest.
More about T.A. Chase...

Rupert's Legacy (3 books)
  • Replacing Memories (Rupert's Legacy, #2)
  • From Yesterday (Rupert's Legacy, #3)